Complaints & Reviews

Hughesfalsely accused customer of sending out: spam-account locked

On 10/15/09 Hughes contacted me with allegations/charges that I was in review for possible violation of the Terms of Service Agreement. ( I have already used 1yr., of a 2yr., contract), for sending Spam being sent from my IP address, so this type of activity is a breach of thier Terms of Service Agreement and is considered a Severity Level1 Violation of there terms! 1st offense is: Account Lock! 2nd Offense would be a Account Termination. I currently was charges with Status of Severity Level 1!! Notice that in the beginning of the letter is states that my account was UNDER REVIEW FOR POSSIBLE VIOLATION OF THE TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT!!! Yet I am Charged and penalized with having my Account Locked! Hughes net doe's not have secure Web Mail Protection at all, I receive 30-40 Spam mailings every single day from them and have complained! All I can tell the Consumer is: 'BEWARE!!" I DO BELIEVE THAT WITH SOME OF THIS SPAM MAIL THAT I DO GET DAILY FROM THE WEB OF EMAIL FROM HUGHES.NET, THAT POSSIBLE A WORM OR VIRUS CAME ALONG WITH THEM, ATTACHING TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS BOOK THEREFORE SENDING OUT MAILINGS??? BUT THAT IS A GUESS. MY ANTI VIRUS IS PC CILLIN WITH TREND MICRO, AND I HAVE ALWAYS KEPT MY ANTI VIRUS PROTECTION UP TO DATE AND SCANNED MY COMPUTER COMPLETELY ON A DAILY BASIS, AND NEVER SHOWED ANYTHING BUT "INFECTED FILES FROM HUGHES.NET AND THIER EMAIL CONTRACTED COMPANY THAT HANDLES THIER EMAIL: MOTIVE COMMUNICATIONS. I HAVE ADDRESSED THE CEO OF THE COMPANY AND SENT LOGS OF THESE FACTS. OF COURSE NO RESPONSE! IN ORDER TO HAVE MY ACCOUNT OFF LOCK, I MUST SIGN A LETTER FROM HUGHES, SIGNING WITH MY SIGNATURE THAT I HAVE ANTIVIRAL SOFTWARE IN PLACE AND RUN A COMPLETE SYSTEM SCAN TO DETECT ANY VIRUSES (INTERESTING SINCE I SUSPECTED THEM TO HAVE SENT IT THROUGH SPAM!!) IN ADDITION, I HAVE TO CHANGE MY EMAILL P.W., ALONG WITH MY DSS PASSWORD. IN THIS EVENT THAT WE DO NOT RECEIVE A WRITTEN RESPONSE FROM ME, THEY WILL NOT UNLOCK MY ACCOUNT. THIS IS AN ENFORCEMENT OF THIER TERMS OF SERVICE AGREEMENT!!!
**QUESTION:
WHAT ASSURES THE CUSTOMER (I AM A HOME CUSTOMER), THAT OUR EQUIPMENT WILL NOT BECOME TAMPERED BECAUSE OF SECURITY OF HUGHES WEBMAIL BECAUSE OF LOUSY ANTIVIRAL SERVICE!!!???

I WAS A CUSTOMER PRIOR WITH BELL SOUTH/ATT FOR OVER 3O YRS., AND NEVER HAD THESE KIND OF PROBLEMS!! BECAUSE I LIVE IN THE RURAL PART OF TENNESSEE I COULD NOT GET DSL FROM AT&T IN MY AREA AND THAT IS WHY I CHOOSE HUGHES, AND IT IS NO FASTER THAT MY DIAL UP WAS! BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE GETTING YOURSELF IN!! I HAVE HAD A NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE WITH HUGHES! I HAVE BEEN CHARGED, GUILTY, AND HUNG!!! I AM INNOCENT OF ALL ALLEGATIONS AND WAS NOT EVEN AWARE OF ANY OF IT UNTIL I RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM HUGHES, AND THEN THIS LEGAL LETTER CAME 3 DAYS LATER. WHEN I ASKED TO SEE THE PROOF OF THE CHARGES I WAS NOT SHOWN YET, AND IS ONLY HEAR SAY, AND AM STILL WAITING FOR THEM! I DON'T EVEN EMAIL THAT OFTEN!! I AM VERY INSULTED, HURT, AND DAMAGED BY ALL THESE ALLEGATIONS! I AM A INNOCENT CUSTOMER!!

Hughesnetmisrepresentation of (fap) fair access policy

HUGHESNET: CONSUMERS BEWARE / CAVEAT EMPTOR

Per Hughesnet Customer Care...

Hughesnet Customer Care: What activities may cause a subscriber to exceed their download threshold? Some activities are more likely to exceed the download threshold and trigger the application of the Fair Access Policy. Several examples are listed below.

Hughesnet: Full-length movie downloads.

Horizon Entertainment: This is an untrue statement. According to various Hughesnet representatives I've spoken to at Hughesnet, you can exceed the FAP in just 7 or eight minutes of download time.

Hughesnet: Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming.

Horizon Entertainment: This may actually be a true statement, however, according to Hughesnet representatives I've spoken with. the FAP can be exceeded with just viewing less than 10 minutes of streaming media content.

Hughesnet: FAP limits can easily be exceed simply by the hosting of server devices such as email, FTP or Web servers.

Horizon Entertainment: According to the Hughesnet representatives I've spoken with, simply using an internet server for your business will greatly slow down your internet speeds, as well as greatly increase the liklihood of exceeding the Hughesnet FAP limits (which includes "Automated computer to computer connections used for the archiving of local computer content")

Hughesnet: Simultaneous downloads.

Horizon Entertainment: While this is also a true statement by Hughesnet, simultaneous file downloads are completely unacceptable to Hughesnet and doing such downloading will likely cause you to exceed the FAP set forth by Hughesnet.

Hughesnet: Downloading large files will cause you to exceed the Hughesnet FAP (i.e., file sizes that are close in size to the download threshold of your service plan):

Horizon Entertainment: I would simply say that downloading any streaming video or such files, of any kind, is very likely to subject you to exceeding the FAP limits set forth by Hughesnet. Remember, according to Hughesnet representatives, downloading 7 or eight minutes of streaming video or such types of information will automatically subject you to exceeding the Hughesnet FAP.

Hughesnet: Excessive downloading or use of the services described above may cause subscribers to be affected by the Fair Access Policy, or in severe cases, to be terminated from the service:

Horizon Entertainment: Again, this is a true statement, but the Hughesnet definition of "excessive downloading" is very narrow and very, very, limited.

Hughesnet Customer Care: What will my Internet access be like if I exceed the download threshold?

Hughesnet: When the download threshold is exceeded, you will experience reduced download speeds for approximately 24 hours. During this recovery period, the HughesNet service can still be used for activities such viewing emails and Web surfing, but speeds will be significantly slower than your normal browsing experience.

Horizon Entertainment: Based on my experience, this statement is completely untrue, which in essence, is probably my biggest complaint against Hughesnet, their advertising, marketing and their Customer Care Statement.

Horizon Entertainment: During the FAP you will simply not "just" experience reduced download speeds. This is an almost complete misrepresentation of terms. Nor during the Hughesnet FAP recovery period, will you be able to continue receiving emails ... This is simply NOT TRUE. For example, today, during the FAP recovery period, I have NOT been able to retrieve ONE single email.

Horizon Entertainment: In regard to Hughesnet saying that internet speeds will be "significantly lower, " surfing the Web is virtually non-existant. During the FAP recovery period, internet speeds are much slower than dial-up and sometimes, internet access does not exist at all.

For example, the Hughesnet Customer Service representative that I spoke today said that with my current Hughesnet plan, I am normally able to dowload approximately 60 MBs in one minute.

The Hughesnet Customer Service rep went on to tell me that I DID HAVE internet access, because throughout the day, I was able to download a couple of 2 MB and 5 MB files.

When I told him that (according to what he just said) I had been able to download less in ONE day, than I normally would be able to in ONE minute, he simply responded by saying ... "Sire, I'm sorry Sir, but you are under the Hughesnet FAP and there's nothing we can do about it (despite the fact that this is completely contrary to how the Hughesnet Customer Care website actually reads and/or would suggest).

Again, based on my understanding of Hughesnet's adverting, marketing and their Hughesnet Customer Care guidelines, I personally feel that things simply do not add or match-up with what Hughesnet promulgates in their advertising, marketing and Customer Care terms of service.

Horizon Entertainment Hughesnet Case #[protected]

Jason Ferguson Jan 06, 2010

As a victim of DirectWay/HughesNet I can only say that for several years we had no issues with the system. Two years ago we were forced to upgrade modems as part of their system update to increase speeds. Since then it has been nothing but a problem from hardware issues to inept customer service based outside the United States. If the customer service issues were not a nightmare imagine our surprise to learn that to go along with an increase in costs the bandwidth allowance was cut in half for the FAP.

Hughesnetfradulent advertising

File a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission!

Go here: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Here is my complaint... This complaint is regarding HughesNet’s Fair Access Policy. HughesNet’s television ads clearly imply that their service is far superior to dialup internet. Sometimes that is true, but often it is not true. If the consumer exceeds bandwidth usage, HughesNet throttles your account down to nearly no bandwidth at all. HughesNet provides no information to the consumer regarding their current status of use of their bandwidth. None of this was made obvious by HughesNet in any of their advertising

Of course, if you are willing to pay considerably more for your service, you can eliminate this problem. In my opinion this is like a “loss-leader” advertisement. They hook you with one price, only to require a much higher payment to actually receive the advertised service capability.

• Gs
          gstan1952 Apr 20, 2010

You got that right !!!
          Most of the time, my download speeds go down to 5.4kbps. Which is ridiculous!
          They claim "Fair Access Policy", but when they decide you've exceeded your limit, they
          cut you off from internet access for 24 hours. Even though your still paying for the service!!!

garystan

Hughesnetrebate hassel

When I first signed up for Hughes Net I was told it would be free installation. This was a lie! I had to pay$245.00, because they would not let me lease the receiver. They said because I lived in Vt. I had to buy it. Because I had to buy it they could not give me free installation. They told me I would however Qualify for two rebates- $100.00, and a free months service. I am college educated and not computer illiterate. It has taken me over 2 hours to get all the information needed to do this. I hope I get it.

HughesnetI have numbers to call!!

I have answers and numbers to call. I have gotten the run around from everyone at the HUGHESNET site and phone tree. Talking to them is like talking to a brick wall with spikes. BUT...yours truely has found numbers and info for you to talk to AMERICANS that will hopefully do you some good. I have talked to them today and it SEEMS that i might have gotten somewhere!! WOOT WOOT. call this number [protected]. I called this number and pressed 6 and then waited and pressed zero. I asked for complaints dept. and this very nice lady Camilla (actually her name cause she is an AMERICAN!!) took all my info and said she would call me back...get this...SHE CALLED ME BACK WITH IN AN HOUR (I KNOW!!!) Camilla apologized for the crappy service that i had gotten since getting this system, credited me a months service, and...TOLD ME THAT THE PEOPLE I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH LIED TO ME!! An actual admission of this crap!!She has a "go to" guy in her office and his name is Ronnie...Ronnie is going to call me on monday and he is going to fix my issues. I told her about my install "problem" with no place to go with the dish and having to shell out extra $$$$ for a pole and she is going to see what she can do about getting me reimbursed for that cost as well! I told her that for this area and for as many people i have talked to about this "having to have a pole" and being scammed. She said this was not right and that she was going to see that this practice was stopped! I certainly hope this helps anyone who has been having these problems! I am going to try to post this link and see if it works...It is to the BBB..has addresses phone numbers and email address. Even provides the address to the place i called! At least there is a place to throw eggs and protest...haha. Good luck and please let me know if this worked for you! My email address is [protected]@hotmail.com. Here is the link: http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=9864 Copy and past to your browser...Happy hunting everyone!

• Ro
              Ron Card Apr 05, 2010

We've had HughesNet service for over 5 years so far. For the past 4 years, yes, we had our share of slow/no speeds issues. Were very mad! We upgraded from the 4000 to the 7000 modem a few years ago and then speeds gradually slowed down at certain peak times of the day. Our service speed was up and down, just marginally adequate, but we have no choice out here in rural central Virginia. About a year ago, the 7000 modem began needing periodic disconnecting of the two cables to reset the modem and get the speed back up to par. That was fine once or twice a day. But speeds still slowed or died, so, through an internet search, someone revealed the Hughes corporate phone number in germantown, MD. We called and quickly got connected the HughesNet CEO, William, who carefully listened to our issues, acknowledged them and was very courteous and apologetic and put us under executive customer care. William graciously upgraded our modem to the then new, HN9000 series for FREE and switched our service from the older, over-crowded satellite over to the then newly-launched satellite. To boot, he gave us a one month use credit. William was wonderful! After installation, speeds were quite fast, we had upgraded to the mid-level speed program which cost more, however, after several months, speeds again slowed down and we had to again disconnect and reconnect the two cables which did work and restored our speed for a day. In time, we got tired of having the chore of doing this, so we called tech support in India, starting at first base. They could not help us and transferred us to what was called, Prioritized Tech Support. The very helpful gentleman, I believe in the Philippines, solved our long-time problem in a matter of minutes. He had us go to, and make noteof this, customercare.myhughesnet.com and go to downloads area on the center right-hand side, and click and then click on the first download, which is for the 7000 and 9000 series modems for Windows users. This is called the Lan Client Config. Utility, and it configs Windows-based computers to obtain optimized performance. It took a minute to download and install and, presto! our speeds greatly increased to where they should have been, and the speeds stay consistent throughout the day--no issues. Finally. We strongly suggest trying this route. This is the Tweek you need! Also, Hughes has solved, sort-of, the issue of exceeding the Fair Use Limit by issuing a free restore token, one a month, and beyond that, a small fee to pay to instantly restore speeds. So, for us, everything has been rectified. We tip our hat to CEO William and Hughesnet. Ron & Linda in VA. 5 April 2010

Hughes Net Satellite Internetterrible service

I ordered Hughes Net satellite internet the first week of August 2009. It was installed on August 15, 2009. After a few days, I noticed that the speed had dropped to even slower than dial-up. I called Customer Service and told them to disconnect the service because I was not paying twice as much money for slower service than I was getting with dial-up internet. They informed me that I was only allowed 200mB of downloads per month and if I went over that threshold, it would slow my computer down for that day, but would refresh every 24 hours and that I should be okay the next day as long as I didn't download anything else. So I agreed to keep the service for the rest of the 30-day period in which I would be able to cancel without obligation to contract. Just a few days after that, I was again experiencing problems and wasn't aware of anything else being downloaded, so I called Customer Service back to explain the problem. I was connected to someone who did not speak English very well at all--I was having trouble understanding anything she was saying. So I politely asked to be transferred to an American, but she refused. So then I asked to speak with her supervisor, but she refused this also. WHAT GOOD IS CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN THEY REFUSE TO HELP YOU!!! So I hung up very angry and frustrated and now I'm stuck in a 2-year contract with something that's not worth what I was paying for dial-up. I will tell EVERYONE I meet not to ever do business with Hughes Net because they are the worst excuse for a company that I have ever had the 'displeasure' of dealing with. This is one customer that will not be a repeat, nor a source of referral for the company. My first suggestion would be "SERVICE AFTER THE SALE"--you just can't wrong with that. My next suggestion to them would be to hire people that can at least speak English, even if they are not from U.S. I could go on and on, but I think I have made my point very clear.

Hughesnet — hughesnet sucks

Hughesnet SUCKS!! Initially, I paid like $600. to have the service installed, then $59.99 per month. Within...

Hughesnet — fair access policy

Hughes Net Internet Service Provider exists to legally “hook” customers in a two-year contract and force the...

HughesNet.com$350 termination fee on a free trial!?

Bottom line... Hughesnet.com incorrectly debited my checking account for $334.34 for an early termination fee. They immediately found the problem and "fixed it", they said. Well, fixing it means they will refund my money in 30 days! I spent a half hour with a hughes billing support agent (In the philippines). He said their standard operating procedure was to refund their mistakes in 30 days. After he put me on hold for a while and visiting with other support folks in his organization they were able to shorten it to 7 days. But that still does not seem like a reasonable time frame for them to "fix" the problem. Needless to say, I talked to two more support agents (Who said they were each the last line of decision making there was) who both told me they could not and would not do anymore to help me get the money back into my checking account within a day or two. I asked for a contact number or person here in the united states who might be able to help with this situation and he flat out denied that there was anyone to talk to. These folks have no idea what customer support is. So as it stands now, I have to wait 7 days to receive a credit. Will that happen? Who knows?

Let me also say that they have a pretty sneaky way of keeping you on the hook for service if you decided to cancel within the 30 day trial period. I canceled the service within the first week because it just wasn't fast enough for me to work from home. My new aircard is 2 to 3 times faster for almost half the price! In any case, when I called to cancel the service... And make no mistake, I clearly cancelled the account. The "termination department" support rep told me, since I have paid for my first month’s service already that I can continue to use it, but after that it will be cancelled. I said, that's fine, but I can't use it, it’s too slow. They also said I would receive an email that included instructions on how to return the modem and other things, otherwise I would be charged for those items. I asked when I would get the email, and they said just after the end of the month.

Just before the end of the month I decided to call hughes net to make sure things were cancelled, as I was concerned they had not sent me an email with the directions on what to return. I was surprised to hear that my account had not been cancelled, but was on a "pending cancellation" status. Parden my french, but what the hell does that mean? I cancelled the service right? “no sir, you elected to continue the service to see if you really wanted to cancel”. By this time I was getting pretty upset. If I would have called a couple days later I would have missed my chance to cancel during their 30 day trial and would have been subject to an early termination fee!

And all this leads me here today, finding they debited my checking account for the earlier cancellation fee of $334.34!

I understand things happen and people make mistakes, etc. But all i'm asking for is a reasonable turnaround time in getting my money. Is that too much to ask for?

And hughes net, I would recommend when a customer says they would like to cancel their service, you cancel their service and not play games. That’s bad business!

$350 termination fee on a free trial!?

• Un
                  Unhappywithhughesnet.com Sep 04, 2009

UPDATE: 9/4/2009 1:00PM

Good news. As I went to the BBB to file a complain I noticed a phone number next to Hughes Net's name. I called them number [protected]) and gave the operator a 30 second version of the problem. She immediatley forwarded to me to Rebecca (not sure who she is or what her title is) but she said she'd handle the refund right now. So I spent 10 minutes on hold while processed my refund. She came back and said she's placed the refund into their system and now we're just waiting for the bank to pick it up. She says it shouldn't take anymore than a day or two. Folks...this is all I was asking for. Rebecca...thank you.

Bad news. How many other folks are going through this same stuff. I think the group in the Philippines needs a good ole lesson in customer service from Rebecca.

• Bu
                  Bud Parker Sep 04, 2009

I'm a new account holder. 3 day ago my bandwidth suddenly dropped from around 750 to 800 kbps to 12 to 19 kbps. For 2 days I tried to find out if I had a virus or some Denial of Service problem. Well, finally I called Hughes Net. In fact, I called them 4 times today. Somewhere in India or God knows where.

The first fellow educated me about their Fair Use Policy. He was polite and methodical. The phone call dropped. I called back and talked to the 2nd fellow. We had an extremely poor phone line that dropped off. 3rd guy I could talk to. He again explained the "Policy" that punishes Hughes customers for having the unmitigated gall to actually use the service.

I asked the guy if he had a lot of complaints about the "Policy" and he indicated that he spent all day placating customers. I told him that the 3rd fellow that I talked to two hours earlier assured me that my Penalty Box time would end within 10 minutes. Of course, that didn't happen.

The 4th guy said that my bandwidth would continue to be unusable until tomorrow at 7 PM. That would be nearly four days with an unusable bandwidth of 12 kbps. I told him that logic indicates that Hughes Net is applying this ridiculous Fair Use Policy because they have inadequate resources to service their client base. The only other reason is to simply alienate their customers and make them drop their service at the first opportunity. That defies logic…

So, on one day I was naughty and utilized too much scarce bandwidth. After being denied service for 4 days I will be allowed to use the service that I am paying for. You can bet I will organize as many other Hughes Net victims in Mississippi as I can find. We need to inundate the State Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission with thousands of complaints.

If you want in shoot me an email to [protected]@ymail.com I will supply names, phone numbers, email addresses and snail mail addresses for you to file your complaint. It is time to tighten up Hughes Net. They mislead potential customers with their claim of 1 MB bandwidth only to inflict their Fair Use Policy after you commit to their service. Google “problems with Hughes Net” without the quotation marks to find thousands of livid customers!

• Sl
                  S L Hunter Feb 12, 2010

Call the number mentioned above [protected]) and press 0 to talk to an operator!! I had an unexpected military move and had to cancel my service early. I informed HughesNet that I would be leaving the state on 1 January and confirmed what equipment needed to be returned. I was told just the modem and cable. Long story short we moved halfway across the country and over a month later received a letter from HughesNet saying we had one week to return the radio assembly from the top of the satellite dish or we would be charged a $300 unreturned equipment fee. I made six different calls to customer service requesting an extension so that my husband could drive 1500 miles, climb on the roof, cut down the radio assembly, and mail it back. After the hours long, frustrating attempts at getting an extension and a guarantee that my card would not be charged, I was at wits end. As I was just sitting on hold for the sixth time in a week, I was googling HughesNet complaints and stumbled across the above post. I immediately hung up, called that number and spoke with a live, English-speaking individual who personally guaranteed she would prevent the charge from going through on my card and told me that my husband did not have to make the drive to get the radio assembly. She told me if I had any more problems I should call and ask for her specifically. I will never again use HughesNet nor recommend it to anyone, but it is nice to know that there are a few individuals that work for the company that can actually get things done.

• Hu
                  Hughesnet Dealer Apr 10, 2010

Losers, You know good and well you signed the work orders and kept the system for more than 30 days and now are just whining for whatever reason.

• Ib
                  ibbunny Nov 07, 2010

wow, the hughesnet dealer can't read...

Hughesnetfair acess policy

I have had it with this policy that limits usage on a daily basis based on which service you purchase. I personally have the pro which allows you to download up to 300 megabytes of info daily. The problem with this is that most of today's software is a lot larger than 300 meg therefore you either have to wait until the hours between 2am - 7 am or go through the hassle of using download manager software. I prefer to do my own down loading. so after being with hughes net for over two years I am going to try Wild Blue at least they allow usage based on a monthly amount, which for about the same price I pay Hughes Net I get more high speed download time. Check out Wild Blue cause Hughes Net SUCKS!!

Hughesnetfalse advertisement.

Hughes.Net certainly wins the black ribbon for worst ISP I've ever had the displeasure of using. Upon moving to the somewhat rural area of Darlington, I had to use satellite internet for lack of a better choice. The salesman on the phone outright lied, saying that satellite would be perfect for things such as online gaming and networking with multiple PCs.

To make matters worse, they impose the FAP (The air is thick with puns) which stands for Fair Access Policy, a polite way of saying you can only download 200mb before they throttle you down to speeds that are almost as bad if not worse than Dial-Up, and having to wait 24 hours for it to "restore." However, in the end, there's nothing you can do if you lack better options, and Hughes.Net no doubt thrives on this sort of monopoly over rural internet users.

Armstrong Cable and Verizon also provide painfully close to my home, literally a short walk up the road, this could warrant whole new complaints about these companies on how they seem to have simply abandoned the 1800 block of the street and skipped over to the next road for no apparent reason. Simply, I am in a Bermuda Triangle of Telecommunications.

Although it is partly my fault for not researching as well as I should have, the thought did not occur to me, and many others, that an ISP could impose such ludicrous limits.

• So
                      Sol Solomon Dec 31, 2009

Yes! Hughes.net has been a great dissapointment, can't get Outlook e-mail to work, their tech support is just terriable to say the least. Very dissatisfied.
                      I have some $477.47 into their equipment and can't get things to work, and now I suspose they think to hold me to a two year contract!?
                      Isn't there some way to claw back and get rid of the "service"?

• Li
                      linksage Jan 04, 2010

We've got the same problem. We've been dealing with Hughesnet for years now, from before they went loco and started dealing the harsh 24 (more like 26) hour punishment period for going over their ridiculous limit.

Funny thing is, we didn't even know about the FAP until I went in and did some digging. In addition to that, I had to snoop around even more to find out exactly what that limit was, and only today found a page that tells us what we've used so far.

Trust me, this company would've gone out of business a long time ago if half of us had any choice. Personally I'd rather go back to dial up than deal with these jokers any more. It'd probably be faster in the long run (During their FAP period, speeds drop down to less than 1/3 the speed of dialup. At least you'd be able to actually download something, though!).

It's just a scam to get you to shell out more money for a higher cap. Unfortunately, even after a bunch of research, I can't seem to find any alternative other than dial up.

Hughesnetterrible isp

We live far up in Maine, in our area we have very few internet companies to chose from.

We were using Localnet which cost $9.99/month, it was very slow and we saw a HughesNET commercial on TV, which guaranteed highspeed internet and access from any area. So we decided to try this out.

A guy came and installed the satellite dish, which cost us $130.00 and we chose the cheapest plan they had which was $60.00/month.

Once we went online the speed was decent compared to LocalNet, but very soon our internet speed just dropped, it was even slower than dial-up. We looked through the paperwork and saw that our plan only allowed us to use up to 200mb of Bandwidth, if we exceeded this limit we would be penalized for 24hours and our internet would stay slow.

Pretty soon our internet kept getting slower and slower, we had all our backround downloaders shut off, to minimize the bandwidth limit, we also couldn't go to websites such as "Youtube" or it would quickly run up our bandwidth limit. Basically the only websites we could go to without crapping out our internet were pages with only text and very little pictures.

Even with the "green flag" our internet is still very slow and we have called customer support several times and have been given poor support where the staff can barely speak English and couldn't figure out the problem, they would just redirect us to a speed-test website and tell us to refresh it 5 times, which didn't do much for us.

We're done with HughesNET, we our paying $60.00/month for the same slow internet we had when we had $10.00/month dial-up.
                    I will be filing a lawsuit and I advise everyone to stay away from this low life ISP.

John L Sparks May 18, 2007

Internet service is virtually nonexistent. Technical Support insists that FAP has been met even though there is no evidence of this on the user side. Have filed complaint with the FCC. Seeking refund for poor service for several months.

Hughesnetdamage to property

Unauthorized installation of Hughes Net Satelite dish to roof line of newly built rental property using lag bolts through the shingles. Tenant vacated at lease end. On Inspection roof leaks at installation site. Called multiple customer service rep. and they would do nothing. Was told it was not their problem. HAve a call in to Executive phone # but I doubt that will resolve the issue. Estimates to repair the roof are about $1000.00. Tenant is being held responsible for damage. All I want HN to do is come and get their satelite off of the damn roof. They will not. !!!

HughesNet.com — worse than dialup!

After upgrading from 56k dialup to the hughesnet hn9000. I decided it was time to finally do the much needed...

Hamilton

Hughesnetmisrepresentatio

The reps from their company do not tell you of the restrictions concerning downloading. Than when you call to report bad service, you are informed of these restrictions. The idiot supervisor can tell you(Lorenzo) is that we should have visited the website to be made aware of the underlying restrictions that no one told you about. How do you pull up the website until you have service? All he can say is that is my problem! And than hangs up.
                        I have told everyone I know of these facts and have cost them at least 4 customers in my immediate area. If I stopped 4 people from buying the svc, and each one of them stops 4 people, I'm sure hughes net is losing lots of money for misrepresentation.
                        I now have a phone number to corporate headquarters([protected]) and will pursue this matter further!
                        Murphy Louviere

• YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!! I just posted a similar complaint. I was told the best time to watch my NETFLIX movies was between 2am-6am PST!!! Yea right, I pay $80/mo. but need to wake up in the early dawn to do ANYTHING online!! They (Hughes "foreign" techies) told me I am in the plan that provides 300 MB-- but I forgot to ask and they didn't tell me that, that was 300 MBPD (PER DAY versus per second, or whatever)-- it's running at around that speed...

Just a Girl wanting what I paid for...

Hughesnetrip off by service call

Updated my modem call their wonderful Indian rep and they could not register my modem and said I would need a tech to come out and realign my dish. The tech came out check the system call hughesnet registered my modem. Called me and told me he did not touch my dish that my system was fine it was hughesnets problem and that he wrote on his service ticket that there was no need for the call. Hughesnet charged me 125.00 because their tech's can't fix problems over the phone.

Hughesnethughes net service

For those who have contacted me for info on a class action against Hughes NET, there is one

GOOGLE PBM Attorney Hughes NET. (PBM) is the shortened name of the firm Pogust Braslow & Millrood in PA).

It was just filed a few months ago. Contact them and sign up giving them your story as I did. Good luck. If you are in rural America you have to have satellite service and once you sign up and buy the equipment you are pretty stuck. Even if you cancel there are fees and lost investment $$. I documented my phone calls with several sales people and you know what, they talk about how FAST you can download and then when pushed admit that upload isn't that fast AND that there is a daily download limit. But they say that the limit is like downloading 20 movies...HA HA HA ... yeah right. Do a google search for something and click on the wrong site and bump you are out if that site is loaded with graphics or animated sales ads.

Hughesnetthe worst company i've ever dealt with

I have already written one complaint against this co. on this website, but around June10 2009 Hughes Net mistakingly disconnected my service-their mistake not mine- even though they had just taken a payment from my acct. at the end of May-automatically made. They made me pay $365.00 to get my service restored-even though I hadn't disconnected it. Later they admitted it was their mistake. They said I was paying to end my contract early-not true-I hadn't even talked to them. Due to an emergency that day I went on and paid them the money--thinking I would call them on Mon. and get it straightened out. I have spent well over 7 hours with them-mostly with people who don't speak English well-only to be told over, and over again that my service would be restored--it hasn't yet-AND my $365.00 returned-I've been told that the money had been returned twice-once where I held my other phone line up to the receiver of my other phone line so their person could hear--that it had NOT been returned. They also say that they Can't reconnect me without me rerunning the program. Even though they'e told me several times that they can. I have never dealt with such a horrible company, and they don't even seem to care. I want my money they owe me back, my service restored, for them to seem like they care, and NEVER to have to deal with this co. again. If there is a class action suit I would like to join. Buyer beware.

• Ki
                                  kiwi268 Dec 16, 2009

This stupid internet service goes off for more than 10 minutes and returns for less than a minute. It is ridiculous, and should be forced to close down.
                                  The customer service isn't dependable and it reflects the quality of the internet service. I think this is just stealing the money out of hard working people's pockets. This company doesn't provide an efficient internet. What is their purpose? they really need to close down. I should sue for the distress caused to me and my family. The amount of hair that was pulled out in anger because of this company's poor unreliable service. How are we reimbursed for our inconvenience? I am presently trying to get out of this contract because it makes no sense.

Hughesnet Internet Satellite — slooooow speed. not as advertised

I live in a small rural village (population about 150 people) and the only Internet service available here i...

HughesNet.comfalse advertisement

HughesNet.com advertises "Unlimited Internet Access" but severely limits your access time with their "Fair Access Policy" (FAP).
                                HughesNet restricts your on-line time so severe it does not allow enough online time for security updates without penalties.
                                HughesNet locks you into a two year contract for a useless service. Extremely deceptive company.
                                I believe the US Federal Government should investigate HughesNet.com practices to protect future customer rip-off.

• Na
                                    Nancy Brady Aug 22, 2009

I am so sorry I chose Hughesnet. It was pretty good at first but then I upgraded to 7000s and have had fits since. I have called support many times and all is well for awhile and then I can't do anything. Oldest Son who is very knowledgeable about computers says all companies are having problems but believes Hugesnet to be the worst.
                                    I had faster times downloading ebooks on dial up. I believe we all need to get together and claim a class action suit.
                                    they are a rip off

• Hu
                                    Hughesnet Dealer Apr 10, 2010

Ive sold it for 8 years and no one says it's unlimited. I mean your using a satelitte in outer space quit viewing so much porn dude and then wouldnt get shut down, I mean ebverything is online limits speeds prices and so on and daily limit is 200meg on the 59.99 very cleary stated it is unlimited from 2-7 am mainly for updates and what not. You porb have 5 kids using laptops on the home plan or something you need to raise your monthly plan and learn how to read what you sign and not just scrolling to the end and clicking agree. I mean cause any basic search will pull up speeds and limitations and being unlimited is not one of them

• We
                                    weswo May 30, 2010

Hughes net told me during sales call that their service would support 2 PS3s a once. That's why i got it. They lied. PERIOD!

• Ib
                                    ibbunny Nov 07, 2010

Their FAP was told to me when I got it, but they told me that as long as I stayed under this, I would be able to play video games online... There was such a lag issue on a constant basis, the most I could do is DPS in an MMORPG that is based off your computer, instead of a lot that is online. I could play regular Starcraft on dial-up, but I couldn't on Hughesnet. and to the Hughesnet Dealer, just because porn is the only thing you use the internet for, dosn't mean the rest of us are in that same situation.