https://www.us-immigration.com/us-citizenship-and-naturalization-application.jsp — 199 fee charged for filling a form that USCIS offers for free
This is the email I sent to the USCIS website asking for their support
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I would like to help you understand how I ended up filling out a form that I thought was in the USCIS website but it wasn't. Then, I ended up paying them the amount of US199 because I thought it was part of the fee the USCIS charges when applying for citizenship. I would like you to post a warning about this situation on the USCIS website so no more people end up being deceived by this company. I complained to them as well and demanded a refund and some kind of proof that they will erase all the private information I submitted to their website. After I realized what had happened to me I goggled about my problem and found out that many people have felt deluded by this fraudulent company.
I will also take other measurements to make sure this company is held responsible of robbing people's money and information:
- I will dispute the payment through my credit card company.
- I will fill out a consumer complaint through the USA.gov website.
- I will post my experience in as many sites as possible.
- I will contact Google so they can support people's interest best.
Below, a step by step description of how I ended up on the wrong website when filling out my N-400 form:
1. I read the following on the USCIS website:
Tips for Filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
... If you can, fill out your Form N-400 on a computer. When you use a computer to complete this form, the data you type is stored in the barcode at the bottom of each page. This improves accuracy and efficiency of processing.
2. I clicked on the form and because I couldn't write on it I goggled "N-400 form" (since the USCIS said filling out the form on a computer will improve accuracy.) and the first option I saw on my browser was this: https://www.us-immigration.com/us-citizenship-and-naturalization-application.jsp. It is strange because yesterday when I wanted to understand how I ended up on this website my work computer showed me this website as the first option with a heading saying USCIS FORMS and today I cannot see it like that anymore. Today the USCIS website is my first option on Google (strange?)
4. Anyways, I clicked on the website where it says start your application (https://www.us-immigration.com/us-citizenship-and-naturalization-application.jsp)
5. I got confused and thought I was in the USCIS website and started my application. Then, upfront they asked me to pay US199 and because I thought it was part of the USCIS fee I paid. It never occurred to me it was a different website because who will charge you 199 to fill out a form that the USCIS offers for free. I consider myself capable of filling out a form. They say they help you but I don't thing that help is necessary. I can understand the questions on the form on my own.
6. What bothers me is that they never say something like "We are not the USCIS official website. We are an independent company offering additional help. If you agree to contract our additional services you will be charged a US199 fee which is not included in the USCIS fee".
I hope you understand my frustration and can help people not be deceived but this kind of companies.