Having problems with House Of Brides?

+1 630 827 0500 (Customer Service)
+1 847 882 0700 (Schaumburg, IL)
+1 708 966 5200 (Orland Park, IL)
1184 Roosevelt Road
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Schaumburg, IL
607 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173

Orland Park, IL
16100 South Lagrange Road, Orland Park, IL 60462

Complaints & Reviews

bridesmaid dress

My bridesmaid ordered her dress at the end of January and was told the dress would be in the last week of April. She was told a few days ago that the manufacturer never confirmed her order and that she will not be receiving the dress until the first week of June...my wedding is the second week of June! They told her there was nothing they could do for her and that she'd just have to wait it out and that it was not their fault it was the manufacturer's fault.

Whenever the dress does get here she'll need to have alterations and has already been told by her seamstress and a few others that she's called just to price check that it will probably cost her extra money since they will have to do a last minute alteration. There's also the outside chance that this dress won't make it in time for the wedding and in that case I have no idea what we'll do!

I was hoping this was one part of the wedding preparation I wouldn't have to worry about, but right now it's the only thing on my mind!

I am very unhappy with this company and would not recommend them to anyone!

• Mi
    Millero Dec 16, 2010

I would not recommend houseofbrides.com to anyone. They are rude and horrible to deal with! Save your time and money and go elsewhere!

• Mi
    Miode Aug 28, 2012

Definitely avoid! The prices are good I suppose but you're way better off going to an actual store to order your dress. Our of 8 bridesmaid's dresses, only 3 people didn't have an issue with their order.

what a scam!!! buyers beware!

House of Brides website CLEARLY indicates that standard delivery is 8-9 weeks. Rush orders are 7-8 weeks. I ordered my bridesmaid dress 13 weeks out, thinking that if there was a problem, I would still have a cushion. I had tried the dress on in a retail store so I knew the dress would fit perfect. I ordered online becasue it was $40 cheaper than the in-store price. Turns out...not so much. Once you pay for the tax, shipping and the insurance, it was the same price as "in-store", but whatever, I went ahead and orderd it thru them anyway. Make my life just a little easier (so I thought). I ordered the dress and 2 weeks later, I received an email from House of Brides indicating that the "designer"...(not them), REQUIRED an additionl $45 for a RUSH handling fee. When I called HOB and asked them how this would be possible since I ordered it 13 weeks out, they quickly responded that it wans't their fault and that it was "peak wedding season". I said, how would I know that? Nothing on your site mentions that, nor is there a disclaimer (even in small writting) that says that during "peak" season, you should order earlier than their site indicates. Ridiculous. To make matters worse, they won't accept a cancellation unless they deem that the order can't be met in time. They told me I could cancel my order, but they would keep the money- CRAZY (now in the hole $225). Oh, by the way, when I told them their site was in accuarate, missleading and totally unethical, she agreed and said they were "working" on the site as we spoke. (ya right). Anyway, after calling 3 times and emailing a rep 4 times to complain, they finally agreed to cancel my order after I refused to pay an additionl $45. I found an almost identical dress (cuter, actually) on ebay for $60 including shipping, arriving in 3-5 days. Save your money. Pay in store, or call before you place the order to see if its really going to be delivered in the time it says OR will the "designer" require RUSH shipping? Total scam artists, HOB know they can get more money out of you because if they "let" you cancel your order, you then would have to order from someplace else that would take 10 weeks to order as well, so they wait till it's too late to order elsewhere. They offer no apologies, they have a "so what" attitude. When I suggested THEY pay the RUSH fee, they didn't even hesitate with the answer NO. Not even up for discussion. What a way to run a business, right? Save your money ladies. Shop elsewhere!

• Nu
    Nuttypsyc Aug 08, 2018

Ordered bridesmaid dresses from Schaumburg store. When calling to find out delivery date (ordered in February for a 9-1 wear date) never received a call back from anyone. After 3 calls, went in to ask in person what was going on. Was told by Krys the manager that the dresses should have come in on 8-1, it was now 8-2 and she said she would get right on it and see what was happening and call back in the next 2 days. No call back from them. We called store and was told Manager is the only one who can give information about shipping. Well manager hadn't called us back to begin with. Walked into the store (again) on 8-6. After being made to wait half hour (in a completely empty store) Krys comes to talk to us. She goes on her computer and states that the dresses shipped on 8-3! We ask for a tracking number and was told there is none but she can get it. It can take about 24 hours. She will call us with it. We say we dont' receive calls back and would she put it in writing that she will call back the next day. She writes it out and of course doesn't call. She doesn't care about her legitimacy or her word or the clients. She just lies and lies. We called on 8-7 and asked for our consultant Linda to see what was happening with the dresses. She puts us on hold and Krys gets on. We ask for the tracking number. We get put on hold for 20 minutes. She returns to say that the dresses will ship THIS friday (8-10) even though she told us the day before that they already shipped. So she lies and does it so easily and with a smile on her face that it's almost frightening. I am in the process of calling the manufacturer to see what they can tell me about the dresses. With a wear date of 9-1 and dresses not being delivered until AFTER 8-13, there isn't a lot of time to get the dresses altered. We have a large wedding party and 3 out of state bridesmaids and 1 bridesmaid going out of the country. House of Brides charges full price (not a deposit) and doesn't deliver the dresses when they say they will and won't give your money back. If you have already gone here and are getting the run around I would suggest disputing your charge with your credit card company due to non delivery of the item and go somewhere else if you have time. Or contact one of the news stations that have been investigating (ABC is who I have been talking to) Otherwise DON'T GO HERE. JUST DON'T.

flower girls dress

I order 2 flower girls dresses about 2 months pd for rush. . . My wedding is oct 30 2009 i recived the dresses on the 20th. I had them try it on they looked crazy there were two sizes toooo big. . The little girls are age 5 7 they are really small kids. . I had nothing but problems with 2 dresses thank god i didnt get my dress from them!!! I called the manager and she did nothing for me the two dress have to be remade because they are tooo big on them. . I will never shop in any of the house of brides. I also called the [protected] was on hold for over a hr and this recording comes on and says pls hold what am i holding on for they shoildnt be that busy at 830 at nite omg!!! Do not get any dress at house of brides they are rude all they do is make the sale after that who cares if you have a problem. . .

customer service

I called to confirm my bridesmaid dress order with house of brides. The lady on the phone, who was extreamly...

terrible experience

I ordered 4 brides maids dresses from House of Brides and paid for the dresses in full via my credit card. After a few days, I received an email that they could not fill the order in time and they were canceling my order. I had given them more than 16 weeks to order the dresses. I then ordered the dresses from a local shop and they were guaranteed in 4 weeks.

After a week, I emailed them and asked them why they hadn't credited my account since they had canceled the order. They said that they wouldn't even process my credit until 30 days. It has now been well over 30 days and they still have not credited my credit card account.

I will contact my credit card company to institute a chargeback, but people should know not to order from this company -- they engage in fradulent activities. They claim to have access to merchandise that they don't have access to and they take your money and do not refund it.

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

I ordered a bridesmaid dress from this online retailer. It offered the least expensive price but not by much. I received the dress and it had the wrong underlay color. I called customer service and they offered NO help. The dress was only identified by the outer color, which was correct. I had no way of knowing until I received the dress that I had somehow ordered the wrong color! Their policy is no refunds, no exchanges, no customer service, no matter what. This is NOT conducive to ordering apparel. Also, despite sending in my measurements, the dress was ridiculously large. Of course, this I cannot fault the retailer for, but is another reason why buying bridesmaid dresses online with a retailer that does not care about customer satisfaction or business ethics is a bad idea! Pay an extra 15.00 and STAY away from House of Brides!!!

• Ea
    EamaneEldendil Mar 03, 2009

I agree STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY they are absolutely disgusting. I ordered a couture wedding dress from them, paid $4000 and it arrived poorly packaged and incomplete! When i asked them to sort out the issue they refused and put us in blame!! Their customer service is none existent and rude. It is not worth the risk, don't make the same mistake we did. I had to pay another $1000 to have someone else correct their mistakes and to make the dress look something like it should of done.
    BE AWARE DO NOT ORDER FROM HOUSE OF BRIDES!!

Sam Apr 28, 2009

I had the same exact same experience, they are terrible to deal with. It has been 45 days since they informed me they could not make my wedding date. I have just filed a dispute claim with my credit card company, in hopes of getting my money back. Two thumb down. DO NOT ORDER FROM HOUSE OF BRIDES THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT GIVE IT BACK.

Janet Apr 28, 2009

File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. What the House of Brides is doing is illegal. http://www.ftc.gov

• Pr
    PreshetteD May 25, 2010

OMG!!! SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME NOW!!!

I ordered my bridesmaid dress from them online, rush order was promised dress in 6-7wks. I nvr received any order confirmation. After cpl days I called and was told over the phone they weren't going to be able to meet my event date.

They made me go through hoops and wait for ficticous emails from ppl they said would be processing my refund. I was told it could take 30days as well.

Its been almost 4wks, I just got off phone with them and they still haven't processed my refund. They willn ot provide phone numbers or full n ames of people for me to speak with. I was told and I quote "They're to busy to talk to you."

So, the wedding is just 5wks away now and I had to pay another $230 to a bridal shop 60miles away and bought a different dress the bride agreed to OFF THE RACK!!!

• Cu
    Customer Service 1234 Jun 25, 2010

Please contact:

[email protected]

They are doing a story primarily on the length of time it takes to process the refunds.
    What they do is wrong; provide us with your story so they will stop.
    Please provide your contact information.

Thanks!

• He
    Helen from the Netherlands Sep 21, 2010

I have exactly the same story. I ordered 2 bridesmaid dresses which they had shown as available and paid with my credit card. A couple of days later they said they were not available but had taken the full amount from my bank debit card. This was in early July 2010. It is now end of September and I am still waiting for my refund. I have emailed them again and am waiting for their reply.

scam and cheating

I ordered on-line from House of Brides. I entered all of my information correctly, but after the final...

awful experience

I went to House of Brides for my wedding dress, not knowing any better. I found one that I loved and got...

bad service

I ordered, on-line, a Maid of Honor dress for my December 1, 2008 wedding from House of Brides. I placed the order on 9/4 and called in October to inquire as to the status. I was told that they can not check the status of the order until after Nov 14, so please call back then and they will call the manufacturer and expedite the order. I called today and was told that the manufacturer is shipping the dress to them and then they will ship it to me. I reminded them this for a Dec 1 wedding in Connecticut and that my M.O.H. will need time for alterations. They would not give me any more information. I asked to speak to a supervisor, several times and was told that it is their policy that the supervisor does not speak to customers on the phone. I would have to send an e-mail and wait for a reply. I begged with the "customer service rep" to please suggest how I could resolve this and she told me that they will TRY to get the dress to me before the wedding. They would not expedite the shipment, provide any tracking numbers, would not put a manager or supervisor on the phone, and I am left waiting on a reply from their supervisor, "Joan". Obviously I can not use this dress after Dec 1 and am now in the position of having to look for a new dress, possibly not getting a refund, or even receiving the dress I already bought.

I'm sure if I tried to cancel this order I would be financially penalized by House of Brides. So, I am getting married in just over a week and have no M.O.H. dress and really didn't expect this stress and anxiety. All I wanted was a shipment confirmation. They would not provide it as they did not have one.

• Valerie Aug 27, 2008

My advice to anyone who shops at the House of Brides, is BE CAREFUL. Do not assume that your sales person knows how to properly measure you. Be sure of your own measurements, and look carefully at the size chart before any dress is ordered. They do not guarantee the fit, issue any refunds, or allow any cancellations or exchanges. They require full payment up front, and after they sell you a dress, they really do not care whether you are satisfied or not.

In May, 2008, my daughter and I went to House of Brides, Schaumburg, IL to look for a mother-of-the-bride dress. I was measured by a sales lady and based on her measurements of my chest, waist and hips, she determined that I was in between a size 4 and size 6. The sales lady was sure the size 4 would fit through the hips, but would be too large on top. I paid $250 for the entire cost of the dress at time of ordering. I was not given a copy of the store policy or even verbally told that H.O.B does not guarantee the fit of the dress. I did mistakenly believe that H.O.B would guarantee that my dress could at least be zipped up and be somewhat wearable. I do understand that minor alterations are to be expected as no dress in any given size will fit perfectly. I also understand that alterations are not free.

I picked up the dress 8 weeks later, and when I tried on the dress, I was unable to pull the dress on over my hips or zip it up. The bottom of dress was an entire size too small. The top of the dress fit perfectly, not requiring alteration, however, the bottom half was at least 3 inches too small. When I returned to H.O.B and was re-measured, the sales lady announced to me that I had gained 2 inches in my hips. I told her that was not true, I had not gained any weight, and in fact I had lost 2 pounds in the last 2 months which was honestly the truth. The sales lady measured me again 3 times and refused to note on her paper that I was the same size. No amount of explaining or reasoning with the manager did any good. The manager told me, "We are not responsible that you gained 2 inches in your hips, " and her parting comment to me was, "Well, you are hippy."

I am most disappointed that I trusted that sales lady. She did not tell the truth or accept responsibility for her error. Perhaps if admitted her mistake, her job would be in jeopardy. House of Brides takes your money at time of ordering and will not accept responsibility for an error. They do not value their customers or care about negative word of mouth or complaints on any forum.

deceptive sales tactics-poor customer service

Avoid at all possible costs! Horrible I ordered my 5 bridesmaid's dresses from hob over nine months before...

no guarantees

horrible experience

I ordered a dress from House of Brides' website on March 20th. When I ordered it they sent me an email saying it will have to be rush delivered for my wear date. I sent an email back asking what the process was. No one responded back to that email and I let it go because the 'wear date' I put was flexible so I didn't mind - the wedding was actually July 12 in Nigeria. The wear date I put was June 14th because my sister was supposed to travel and help me carry it for a friend to Nigeria. Now, this date like I said was flexible because she hadn't bought her ticket yet. Bear in mind I had placed an earlier order of 6 dresses order which I had no problem with. I received the first order of 6 bridesmaids dresses May 26th 2008. I waited 14 days for the second order, and didn't receive anything. I called their number [protected] and no one was available and I kept getting recordings. I then went on the website for a live chat and was consequently told that because authorization wasn't given for the rush they never ordered the dress from the designer!!! Imagine them keeping my money for 3 whole months and having a "processed" status on my order even though they knew they hadn't ordered the dress????? And no one bothered to tell me. Meanwhile the only solution for me was to get a refund. Forget that I had to explain to the bride that one of the dresses couldn't make it. So, they gave me an email joan AT houseofbrides.com to request my refund. I have emailed them 3 times in 3 weeks, called their number, and been waiting for a refund or even an acknowledgment of one and still no response.

I sent a complaint to the better business bureau and also sent emails to Fox and CBS in Chicago. I'm not going to stop there, I'm going down the list of TV stations and even Oprah! Just anybody who can shut them down. It's so ridiculous for them to think they can act this way and get away with it.

• Gu
    gurl2bebride May 28, 2011

they are thieves

• Le
    Les Line May 29, 2012

Sounds familiar. This Company is legendary for its incompetence. As far as I can see only bankruptcy will put the matter right. Hasten the day when The House of Brides no longer exists . Or perhaps it will be taken over by the good guys.
    So may broken promises, so many tears, so many disappointments. It's shameful. Let's hope the matter gets the attention of someone with the muscle and media coverage necessary to hold the Directors of this Company to account.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices