HotTopic.comcustomer service at reno meadowwood mall location

Y

I don't feel like rewrite the whole experience again, so I'm pasting what I submit to their corporate hq.

Hello Hot Topic

I want to file a formal complaint about one of your employee that works at the Reno Meadowood Mall location. Her name is Kersti, she did not give me her last name, and I assume she was the store manager because she certainly acted like she was in charge by alienate your customer in this rude manner.

The whole ordeal started yesterday (10/12) when I was shopping at your store for some Funko Pops (I'm an avid but new to Funko collecting). While I was there, I suddenly gotten an email from your corporate saying my order on 10/5 (NYCC) was completely cancelled, even though I placed the order minutes after you went live on your site for all those NYCC Exclusive items. And the email did not give me any specific just said my orders are completely cancelled. Obviously I was a bit annoyed since I placed the order minutes after it went live, and I only get this email on 10/12, which is one full week later. By this time, you had almost nothing left in your store from the NYCC Exclusives. But you did had an Aquaman NYCC Pop, so I bought one yesterday from your store. While I was checking out, I just kind of letting the air out telling the check out lady that it was kind of ridiculous (which it was) that I just got an email a week later telling me my order was cancelled. I was not saying it was her or any of the staff's fault, I was just hoping for some sympathy. I was not loud or rude in any way, but Kersity was standing on the other side of the checkout area playing on the computer overheard, right away told me with an attitude "Oh that's not our problem, you need to call the customer services!" Actually my reaction was kind of shocked at that time, because I wasn't even trying to ask them to do anything for me, all I was doing is letting them know what happened, and why I'm picking up that Aquaman. Right then I just let it go because its not even worth get into it with her. In fact I ran into her couple other times, and every time she seems have some kind of attitude, even when I was just making a purchase and asking maybe some dumb questions about the Funko Pops. Her attitude is even worse when I had to return something from my online order. If you want more details, I'll be happy to provide you more. If you have a no return policy (which I know you don't, because the non refundable item they actually stamp the receipt during purchase), you should let the customer know, or train your staff not to give an attitude for anyone wants to return things!

Anyway, things got worse after I went home later that day. First of all, I got another online order in the mail, I bought a Yuri on Ice Funko Pop under the assumption it's an exclusive by Hot Topic, but after getting the Pop it does not have that Exclusive sticker on them, and as you should already know, that sticker is the only thing will identify the pop exclusivity. So, I was planning to go back to the store return it on the following day (today). Second thing, even though I got that cancelled email from your corporate, I logged into your website, checked my order history, it actually showed Aquaman and couple of other NYCC items did get shipped out, just not all of them! I was planning to bring back the Aquaman I just bought from your store. Also, I realized I already bought 1 out of the 4 Funko Pop from your store few days before, so again I was planning to bring back that one just exchanges for something I do not have.
Fast forward to today. I went into your store with my wife, after standing in line for about 10 minutes I explained to the check out lady what I'm here to do. Again, Keristy is playing on her computer few feet away, and AGAIN, right away the attitude just came out of her. I even mentioned about getting that cancelled email the day before, hoping she can understand why I want to return that Aquaman. First of all, even if I didn't have the cancelled order, are there any Hot Topic Return policy preventing me returning an unwanted item that was just bought in the previous day, still in mint new condition?? Even figuratively speaking you do have a no return policy, is there ANY reason for your store manager giving me such attitude right away?? Her face was full of disgust as if I was doing something criminally wrong! After only few seconds of uncomfortable exchange, she has the audacity to say to the check out lady "just return his stuff, I don't even want to deal with this…." As if I'm the one pissing her off! I'm not the type of person just going to take this kind of attitude for being a paying customer, so I told her I really don't appreciate this kind of attitude she is giving me. And guess what? She said, "if you feel this way, we don't need you being a customer here!" I'm like what did you say? Then she gave me even more attitude by giving me a hand-written card, "here call my district manager if you like" The card just had the name Jason and phone number of [protected]. I would've called him first before I'm writing you but I got home pretty late today, I didn't want to call him after 5. Plus, I feel she has a great relationship with him, that's why she's confident to tell me to call him after clearly, she gave me so much attitude to angered me. And right in front of me, she even started to type an email to, who I assume was Jason, an email telling him her side of story I suppose. I just have not seen anything like this around town. In fact, I literally buys hundreds of dollars' worth of Funko Pop from everyone, and I had to return a damaged Pop to Target, 2 pops I ordered multiple time by accident to Barnes and Nobles today! None of their customer services come even close to the one I got from Kersity! I emphasize, this is not the first time I felt this way at your store, but certainly was the worst. Exact same situation in other stores, but they all know how to make their customer feel like a customer, not like a criminal or someone begging for favors. Her stock up attitude is consistent every time I'm there, and I believe she even have huge negative effect on rest of the employees there. I've been there few times when she's not around, most of the staff there were approachable, we chat about Funko pops with random questions. The few times she was around, all of her staff are the same type of moody unfriendly look, usually without a nice greeting or smile. And during the return exchange today, the employee obviously scares of her when I asked them their opinion on the situation.
Actually, the situation became even worse because my original purchase included $10 Hot Topic Reward for spending up to enough points; so in any other reputable retail store, when you earn the in store cash, its not a coupon, it has equal cash value that get prorated into each items. So when you return these items, the opposite effect takes place, the reward either get refunded back to the account or at least return will be prorated. At your store, when I requested that Aquaman to be refunded, they want to refund me only $6 and some odd change because they will take the other amount out of the $10 reward. I don't know if this is how your real store policy goes, but during the exchange, she continues give me attitude for wanting to clear up this situation. I asked your other employee what they would do if you buy something for $15 and only get $6 back, no one would even answer, because again, Keristy seems have such power over them, they don't dare to speak. And this is kind of attitude I see coming of her consistently over the past month or so. This is because I only really start shopping at your store when I started collecting these Funko Pops recently. I've been an Elite Plus member with Best Buy for the past decade, never once run into this kind of customer service. And After reading your Yelp review, though there aren't many, but all the negative ones are consistently complaining about the customer service at that store, mostly due to attitude, not really anything bad because of the products.
I know I wrote quite a bit, and I'm not particularly a good writer to begin with. I don't know if Hot Topic even take things like this seriously, and I do hope you do. But what I can say is usually a good company, especially retail, they do take things like this seriously. They do appreciate their paying customer's feedback. You might think I'm just another needy guy complaint about everything, but I have to say, out of my 30 some years of adulthood, I only felt extremely necessary to file a complaint like this twice. One with Helzberg and Delta Airline, and both times they took the complaint very seriously, and try to understand from my point of view. I would never spend this much time and effort if I thought what I experienced today was totally unreasonable. But if you feel differently, the joke is on me, and it really tells how you want to run your business.