Honeywell International/Fram Oil Filterrusted oil filter

I bought a Fram XG7317 oil filter and put it on my 2004 Honda Accord V6 in October 2011. When changing my oil March 20, 2011 I realized the filter had rusted and was leaking oil on the ground. My safe oil level had been compromised. The oil level in my car was and had been below the safe mark on the dip stick for some time. I am worried about the life expectancy of my engine. The engine has suffered some damage though not obviously apparent at this time. Low engine oil equals damage to any engine. I am very disturbed at the quality of this Fram filter. If this filter had burst open, all my oil would of come out of the engine which would of lead to a blown/seized engine.
I have used Fram oil filters for many years and have never seen any filter rust. It goes without saying I will never use a Fram product ever again. I will never trust Fram quality again.

Thanks,

James Sherwood

rusted oil filter

• Da
    DaleH2 Sep 13, 2018

Just had the same problem with my 2012 Ram, the filter was a Frame TG2. The center of the filter corroded and half of the oil had leaked. This happened at four months and 4500 miles.

Dale May

• Ca
    Cash that check Feb 14, 2014

I had the same problem with FRAM filter. I just replaced Fram 7317 filter on my Honda and when i took it off it had pivot hole in the filter.
    First I noticed oil on the ground and after inspecting it was the filter. Enough oil had leaked out within 3 days to get below safety level.
    This is the first time I have ever experienced an OIL filter rusting.

• Ca
    Casca Longinus Jul 05, 2011

Oil idiot light didn't come on at 1 Qt low? For these to rust that quickly, they would have to be made of cold rolled (never actually melted down) recycled metals which have different compositions adjacent to each other acting like a battery. I would be interested to see these with all the paint sanded off to see if there are high carbon areas and obvious variations in the metal surface even in non-rusted areas. Metals such as this can corrode even beneath paint and grease. Poorly recycled metals such as these were prevalent in the 60s. While doing bodywork, you could actually see such things as beer can logos (steel beer cans then), under the paint, from a beer can cold rolled into other recycled steel to make the body sheet metal. You could find metal completely rusted out under the paint where the different metal compositions touched each other.

• Mm
    M. M May 24, 2011

I just found my second rusted and leaking oil filter! One on my 2005 Honda Accord and the first was on my 2004 Honda Pilot. I purchased both of them through Walmart. They have both rusted and leaked all over my driveway. Both were changed in the fall of 2010. Junky orange cans of death...no more. Where has the quality control gone or have these been our-sourced like just about everything else. Sorry FRAM you have lost another LOYAL customer...no more!

• Ru
    russ1 May 20, 2011

after calling Honeywell International/Fram Oil Filter three times in two weeks and left my number, they never called me back about a oil filter that sits loose on the shaft of a Honda bike, it now makes me wonder if that's why i had to rebuild the Honda bike with only 10 k on the motor, its a sad day that Fram does not care about quality..

Comments

• Cb
    CBOCLC Apr 07, 2011

My mechanic just called me and described the exact same problem. Same time frame as well. I had never experienced any such thing in 40 years of automobile maintenance. Sadly, the problem wasn't discovered until my oil was almost 3 quarts low!!! I hope that my car (2003 Ford Escape) survived the experience...we'll see.