Menu
HomeStars
reviews & complaints

HomeStars
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

23 complaints
3 resolved 20 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of HomeStars. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
10:35 am EDT

HomeStars - Homestars

Im actually interested in filing a clash action lawsuit against this company. They actually send you leads and nobody ever calls back I think they are false leads... You have to go along with there review thing where they actually end up having a valid reason for not actually giving you leads.
I have spoken to a couple people and they all feel like they have been frauded by this company. Is anyone interested or can help with a lawsuit against this horrible rip off destroy Canadian businesses company?

Desired outcome: All my money back $299 a month litterally for nothing. Or at least half back

3:52 pm EDT

HomeStars - homestars

i decided to start my electrical contracting business 6 months ago and i let the sales person at homestars talk me into signing up with them. they promised the world and that i would be drowning in work because they had a shortage of contractors in calgary. about 6 months later its pretty apparent that that was bs. the only way this company makes money is the 35% cancellation fee they charge. if the site worked they wouldnt need that. if you are a contractor stay away from these con artists

Desired outcome: i would love a refund

F
9:40 am EDT

HomeStars - Braver Paving

Joe (Beaver paving) came by regarding my request for a quote. He gave me a quick estimate of $7000 - $9000 and told me to call him if I wanted to proceed and he will firm up the quote. Yesterday he came to firm up the quote and I was extremely shocked and disappointed. The quote is now $14, 800, with NO changes to my requirements. How can a quote for the same job double in under a week. I have received quotes under 12, 000 for this job but held out for Beaver's quote.
Joe now claims I have added requirements and the original quote did not include paving. All lies.

11:42 am EDT

HomeStars - Membership

We signed up in December for $160/month. Possibility to cancel if is not working and pay only 60%. Since December we received ZERO projects from them. ZERO!. Our company closed last month (my partner returned to Japan and I went back to my previous job). We sent many messages that we are not happy and they are talking our money and provide nothing in return, and we want out. NOBODY IS ANSWERING OUR QUESTIONS. It's so frustrating to lose so much money.

Desired outcome: Stuck and losing money

View 0 more photos
F
2:16 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As an ex tenant of R/H.co-op of approximately twelve years ago I am trying to clear my name, of a fake claim for property damage, which was actually caused by a co-op employee after I had already moved out. Some months ago I filed an application for a seniors apartment with Niagara Falls Regional housing, but they have my application on hold, pending...

R
11:04 am EDT

HomeStars - I recently had a bad experience with homestars over a bad experience I had with a company.

I recently had a bad experience with Homestars. CA over a bad experience I had with a company.

I wrote a negative review about a company that had many obvious fake positive reviews.

Homestars demanded I show them proof I was a customer of this company which would obviously void my anonymity and possibly start a lawsuit.

I was forced to refuse and they would not publish my negative review.

Is this how a company should handle negative reviews.

Do they do this with positive reviews of course not because nobody objects.

I think Homestars has it wrong and should fix their policy.

They even have an option to choose anonymity

G
10:23 am EST

HomeStars - Homestars doesn't work as should be!

Im using HomeStars for last 8 months... we have 11 reviews 10stars, my score is 97%... a small job Less that CAD2000.00.

I spent over Cad1500.0 alredy, abd got a job less tgat 2000.00.

In kijiji or letgo, I had spend 16.00 montly, and got tons of clients... in my google business same... im my website I had got minimum 5 clients week...

I still trying Homestars, and I will give a last chance... but 197.00 monthly and get nothing back? Doesn't make any sense

R
10:15 pm EST
Replied
HomeStars has left an official reply on this complaint.
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We hired what I believe was 5 star landscaping. We got the info from your website. I guy dropped by the house, wanted $550 in cash and and signed an agreement under 5 star snow removal. He gave me a contract as well as signing my own contract that they will use a "rubber tip" when clearing my driveway as it was recently upgrades (cobblestone) They did...

L
8:51 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Home Star allows fake post when I complained about it they said that I opened the site. Impossible I never heard of home star before they told me I can respond to the fake post. I said that's not fare they should remove the fake post they told me I should of responded 1 year earlier how could i if I never new it exited? If they allow not true comments then...

N
8:45 am EDT

HomeStars - Premium service

I have been a contractor for over 35 years but our family owned business is 70 plus years old. Sometime over the last 12 months, home stars removed my business number. My other info is there but the key identifier is gone. My complaint is simple...you want all companies listed on your site to be a paying member. 6 years ago it was 60 bucks per month...now it's over two hundred. Where will it be in ten years. You need a minimum listing fee and a premium listing fee. Also the Verified action, which is only offered to premium customers has to be made to all contractors as where would you be without 60 percent of your contractor base. There is a lot more to you predatory business practices...but for another time.

K
2:57 pm EDT

HomeStars - Building

Homestars is a company that allows reviews on their site that are not credible and let customers put untruth lies and personal attacks on employees .
I have a company that has been wrongfully bullied by homestars and a spiteful customer for the past 5 years . I was told I could buy advertising with homestars and this may help. Allowing a customer to wrongfully call an employee a creep on their website is reckless and unprofessional . Homestars will not remove this comment to protect the rights of the reviewer . I have no issues with commenting on our customer service or quality of work but calling us liars and creeps that customers and our family can easily find on google by searching our business name is extremely hurtful and disgusting . Nancy Peterson Rodney price, Leslie andrachuk, David bounsall would find it nice to see your name and the word creep and liars beside it . You play with people's lives and it's unfair and immoral . PLEASE play fair and don't be bullies and allow bullies on your site You have ignored my calls and messages . If telling the truth about you on any website I can is the only way to warn people about your mafia way of running a business, I will .

6:55 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Well Mr President of Homestars I see all over this site. Expect to hear from BBB as I am making a complaint. I have a very professional company and when potential customers type in our name in your search engine they receive a "0 company matches" unless we pay a lot of money a month per membership. This is not fair to consumer or service provider. Your...

M
6:08 am EDT

HomeStars - Review

I left a review on HomeStars website and they deleted it with no reason. It was a negative feedback in which I told about the bad experience I had. I contacted HomeStars customer service to find out what was wrong with my reviews and why it got erased. They said that it did not meet their standards.
So I made some changes and posted a new one and it also was deleted. What a scam! They are deleting all the negative reviews on purpose! I would not recommend this website!

9:26 am EDT

HomeStars - The mini excavator was with the defects

Awful services. I bought mini excavator from the company www.homestars.ca. I was so upset that the company misled me. I paid about $10, 000 for the order and its delivery, but it was waste of time and money. My mini excavator was with the defects and the seller hasn’t told me. He tried to persuade me that they could fix it, but it was terrible lie. Stay as far as possible from them.

Y
5:00 pm EDT

HomeStars - Want review removed

I have written numerous times to homestars and they ignored all my emails. I wrote a review for one of their contractors and did not know that they were going to publish my full name and review on their website. I asked them to remove this from their website. I35 received an email saying that they will remove my full name but this never happened. When I wrote to them again they did not respond.

1 comment
K
Nov 01, 2017 3:44 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Homestars are bullies and I wish more people would give them a taste of their own medicine on fb and elsewhere

T
5:12 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Don't trust anything on this site. They take fees from contractors and even allow them to erase their past profiles (with negative reviews) and repost with a clean slate, something that goes 100% against their purported mission. And it's plain to see! That 80% of the wonderful reviews! About fabulous contractors! Giving them Perfect 10s! Are bull$#*!!

1:18 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Homestars used to be a consumer advocate website generated by consumers. It is now driven by profits derived from a new feature where contractors can pay a $150/month to Homestars for premium placement and an extra $30 per month to have Homestars contact a contractor's clients incentivizing the clients to write testimonials. This website used to be free...

E
6:55 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I don't believe the reviews on homestars.ca. I found one company with perfect 10 score and raving reviews that they are always on time. However, for me, they were a no show. I wasted time and money to make sure I was available and also got a sitter for my kids. I didn't get a call until almost 2 hours later. Anyway, I tried to post my review but homestar...

N
5:24 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Bad Reviews are deleted for their paying advertisers, Contractors pay their customers for the good reviews or write their own reviews. SCAM!

L
7:22 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

His website www.Homestars.com claims to aid homeowners/business owners in the selection process for contractors who are reputable and trustworthy and to also inform the user of who to watch out for. Here is the reality of Homestars.com/CA; They take money from contractors to list with them which completely negates their ability to offer a true unbiased...

HomeStars contacts