Holiday Builderspromises, promises (shoddy workmanship)

It's been a few years since we bought a Holiday Builders home, but I stumbled upon this site, and I'm still mad, so I wanted to warn others.

The only question my husband asked the sales person was, "Will the hurricane straps be poured into the concrete?" Sales rep says, "Of course!" We were excited to see the concrete walls finally go up after eight months since signing for our home. We drove by every other night to see how it was going. My father stopped by one day to see how our new house was going to look. All the workers were standing there just looking at the house. My dad said, "Hey what's up?" The supervisor said, "They just put the hurricane straps in the wrong place. The roof trusses aren't going to line up with the straps, but that's okay we're just going to shift some of the trusses." We called and said we want it re-cone. "No we can't do that. It'll be okay." When the trusses were finally attached to the walls, the straps were 4 inches to one foot off. The metal hurricane straps were bent to reach over and go around the trusses! The ones that couldn't be reached were NAILED, I say NAILED into the concrete wall. You don't nail into a concrete wall you use tapcon screws made specially for that purpose! My husband took something and pried one out of the wall. This was the first of many battles that an independent inspector found. The supporting walls were not anchored to comply with code. The wood over the trusses was not even attached in some places.We could lift them with a broom handle. We complained about that to the supervisor and the next day the angered worker put twenty three nails in a two foot piece of wood. They did that in a few pieces of plywood and some other places was still not attached to the trusses. The tar-paper was put on backwards that would cause the water to run under the overlaps, not over. The fiberglass shower had a crack about three feet long (which was later obviously patched although we were assured it was a new shower.) These were not cosmetic complaints. These were structural problems. I've got pictures. We are not picky people! Never once in my registered, certified letters to the president (Richard Hawkes) did anyone respond to our pleas for help. After all was said and done, 11 months after we ordered the home, we closed on the house. We didn't have it in us to fight anymore. The $17, 000 we made from the sale of our old home was gone. Why? Because we had to rent an apartment that was expensive but the only one we could find to rent without a lease. Had we known how long it was going to take, we could have signed a six month lease somewhere cheaper. Also we had to drive the 20 miles to and from the house, every other evening after work, to make sure they weren't hiding more problems. Finally, we sent letters to the president asking for a verbal apology for the heartache we went through. We tried calling anyone higher up, even going back to the model home to talk to the salespeople. Never, never once could we talk to anyone higher than the supervisor at the site. In closing, were the hurricane straps poured into the concrete? Of course they were!

Don't buy a Holiday Builder's home!!! You may be fine if are no errors in the building process, but if they a mistake, you as the consumer no longer exist in their eyes.

• Dr
    Droshki Sep 11, 2018

Yep.. Stay away from this builder. Their greatest skill is hiding their management, and their mistakes, from their customers. They most definitely do NOT know how to build a house. Their arbitration agreements are the only thing keeping them in business. Once you sign a contract, you're screwed!

• Fu
    FuHoliday Jul 25, 2015

My family and I started building with Holiday in August 2014, and was supposed to be completed within the next three months. A couple months went by and saw that they hadn't even put the groundwork in yet. They delayed our house to December. Then to January. Then to April. Then to May. Then to August. In July we saw that the house next to ours had already been done, but ours still wasn't even halfway completed, but this isn't the worst part. We picked it a light, yellowish color for our kitchen granite, but were surprised to see a darkish, yellow color. We said, "it's okay they'll fix it" (because we had pictures and documents to prove we picked a different color). They said they wouldn't change it and that we asked for an apology. They later stated that they were correct and refused to admit that they made a mistake. We were furious and tried to talk to higher up people, but couldn't reach them. After all the delays, mistakes, and denial for apologies, we were done fighting and just wanted the house finished. I mean we decided to BUILD a house because we wanted the house that we wanted, but instead got a lousy company who deny the satisfaction of their customers. DO NOT BUILD WITH HOLIDAY. You will deeply regret it. Oh yeah, I forgot they even tried to sneak away with "forgetting" a chandelier in our kitchen.

• Ho
    Holidaysux Mar 29, 2014

Stay away from Holiday Builders in Brevard County, FL. I have had nothing but problems since purchasing a new construction home from them. They have been unresponsive to warranty requests opting for quick, temporary, jury-rigged solutions instead of fixing the issues properly and the sub contractors they employ to pretend to address the issues won't talk to you, they'll only talk to the builder. They require you send written service requests but won't provide you with anything in writing and no one ever answers the phone or returns a call. I'm completely dissatisfied with the quality of the workmanship and their complete disregard for their customers (I guess they don't view you as a customer once the check has cleared the bank). I have had recurring problems with the home and have been respectful and nice in my dealing with them but each issue I raise takes longer to hear from them - multiple emails & phone calls (answering machine always). I have friends who used another builder and their builder bends over backward to help them with the smallest of issues (replacing a light bulb) even after 12+ months living in their home. Do your research first and stay away from Holiday Builders or you'll regret it.

• Un
    unhappylongtime Sep 04, 2011

I agree. They are terrible. We had a house built in Ocala, FL in 2002. The drywall, the exterior stucco, and the concrete slab are all cracked. We also had a cracked shower stall and the bathtub in our hall bathroom cracked (we patched it up ourselves). There are also other problems, but you get the idea: stay away from Holiday.