Hertz$400 cleaning fee for smoking (I'm a non-smoker)

F Nov 28, 2020

I rented a vehicle at the Temecula, CA Hertz Local Edition (HLE) from 25-27 NOV 2020.

I returned the car and the representative working at the time took the keys and I went home. The following morning, I received an email receipt with a $400 cleaning fee (for smoking). I was not told about this charge.

On top of this, I am a non-smoker. As well as being a lifelong asthmatic.

I should not be held responsible for cleaning fees if I was not the person responsible for it. I expect a refund of these charges.

I am a Presidents Circle Member with Hertz (25+ rentals/year minimum), so I rent a quite bit with Hertz and and in the 20+ years I've been renting cars, I have never seen this charge in past rentals. That would be consistent with that fact that I do not smoke. Not exactly the best way to ensure customer loyalty.

Hertz can look at my rental history and the fact that I have never been charged a cleaning fee, they can conclude that I did not smoke in this vehicle or any other rental in the past.

I should also mention that I used my Hertz rewards points on this rental so the bill should have been significantly less. Getting slapped a $400 charge came as a shock.

I believe I should be due a refund from this charge as it is fraudulent and I was not notified of this at time of the return.

$400 cleaning fee for smoking (I'm a non-smoker)

RESOLVED

• Hertz's response · Nov 29, 2020

Our records show a dispute was submitted to our Executive Customer Service team on November 28th. This is currently being investigated and they will respond via Hertz case number [protected]. Please allow more time for this to be fully reviewed.