Heald CollegeFalse Representation

I had Arlandis McClain as an advisor when I enrolled at Heald. I kept getting phone calls from the same phone number over and over. Frustrated, I finally answered and asked who it was that keeps calling me. He told me he was calling from Heald college. I said I wasn't that interested I was just on the internet checking out possibilites. He then asked me if I was looking for a job. I told him I was half heartedly looking for a job. He told me Heald had opportunities for students to work at Heald. I thought that would be a great opportunity. I could get an education and work at the same time.
When I first had a meeting with Arlandis I told him I was very interested in being a student employee. I was given a test to see if I was eliglbe to go to Heald, turns out I was (and so could anybody) then I was lead to financial aid. I didn't understand at the time that this was a very unethical practice. One should be speaking to financial aid before they take what turned out to be a placement test.
Arlandis also told me that the school was fully accredited and any credits that I accumlated at Heald could be transferred over. When I questioned that, because I was lead to believe differently, Arlandis assured me that they were fully accredited and not only that, but I would be a certified paralegal at the end of the program. Again I questioned that, and given assurance about being certified. As it turns out in our first quarter a couple of our teachers had informed us that we would have to take a test in Stockton in order to become certified. Anybody can take that test. If one were to work as a receptionist in a law firm without an education and felt they were knowlegeable they could take the cert test.
They also lied about all the help they would give as far as looking for work while being a student there, and graduates that would have a job lined up for them as soon as they graduate. Their excuse the whole time I was at the school for not having the resources they claim to have is that they are a new school. They didn't have any books in the LRC (Learning Resource Center). The ladies that worked in the LRC, although they were nice, they weren't very helpful to many of the students there. The type of help I would get from Ashley Love, the career services advisor were mass emails telling students they were hiring at Subway, and Taco Bell. They claimed to have contacts that hire exclusively from Heald because of their reputation. The job referals were nothing short of the career services department looking on craigs list, monster and possibly career builder. They claim to work with your schedule, however many students who signed up for daytime classes due to work and family, were getting classes in the afternoon. Sometimes they would work with a student on this, however it seemed to be a hassle, especially since they ask you what time you would like to attend classes when you first sign up for school. Classes ran for about 4 hours. For some classes we would go over the subject of the class for 2 hours, then the rest of the time was spent on chatting, and speaking about things that were off topic. The teachers can be nice, if you're looking for a friend. But on an academic level most of them were not very helpful at all.
From my experience at Heald, and I have many friends who have left Heald due to the same reasons, I would advise anybody to NOT GO TO SCHOOL THERE. I would stay away from any schools that give you promises that sound too good. Remember, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

• Ad
    adonga Sep 10, 2012

all of these people who have complaints NEED to contact the department of education! SERIOUSLY we can do something about the scams this college is doing. IF enough people report them to the department of education I think this college could get into huge trouble for the ### that they are pulling. I ALSO WENT THROUGH THAT BULL ###. The department of education's phone number is [protected]. That phone number will get you to at least a voice mail of a woman. Leave a message about how you need to speak to someone in the department of education concerning Heald college. Then talk to a lady or gentlemen over there and explain all the unscrupulous behavior that has taken place!Please call it isn't fair for those after you to be taken advantage of in the same manner. There is also a way to file a formal complaint. http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/complaintpolicy.pdf

• Te
    Terrence Howard III May 18, 2012

I heard Arlandis shot and killed 15 MA students because they forgot to come to class with a pen

• Te
    Terrence Howard III May 18, 2012

Sounds like you should have stayed at your job at Taco bell and never attended heald by now you would be Lettuce manager!

• Li
    liljaded Mar 25, 2011

I too had Arlandis as an advisor and am glad to report that he is no longer an advisor there. There are many rumors regarding his departure, the one I found intresting is that he had a prospective student come in and he gave them the run around just as you described, and the person turned out to be an investigator.