Grand Canyon Universityfinancial aid stipend check

K Review updated:

GCU issued the stipend check on 9/20/2017 of $3254, and the incorrect answer was in the system. Which I have totally taken ownership on that issue. I had asked for a stop payment at that time because didn't want someone trying to cash that check. But was told there was a 21 day wait period. Now, during that time was concerned that someone would try to cash that check and I would still be responsible for paying that loan money back. Now, I am told that the stop payment was requested but I can not find out status or when a new check will be issued. I really don't understand why there are so many vague answers.

• Ta
    Tasha Monique Nov 01, 2017

When do you usually get your stipend check? Because I have asked and haven't received an answer. Do it usually take a month?

• La
    ladyjae May 31, 2018

I wanna know too

• Sk
    skye35 Jul 26, 2018

@ladyjae about 3 weeks to a month, once u go to the student ledger and see an amount in ( ) you know you have a balance, and its usually sent out after 14 days after it post to your student ledger

• To
    Tootles123 Oct 13, 2018

@skye35 What is disappointing is I banked on the financial aid for books an expenses. I didn't get any funds until I completed my first class online and was half way through my 2nd class online before I got it. If I hadn't paid extra for urgent processing, it would have been well over 2 months before I received my funds

@ladyjae Same here

Jason Ullery Mar 24, 2019

@Tootles123 How can you apply for urgent processing

Trisha1973 Jul 08, 2019

@skye35 How do you know how much it will be and when it will be sent

Trisha1973 Jul 08, 2019

@Jason Ullery Did you find out I want to know also

Jacy Sifuentes Aug 09, 2018

My stipend said an amount and now it says $0. Does that mean it was sent?

Mandy Hannah-Lulo Aug 12, 2018

@Jacy Sifuentes Yes. Depending on where you are in the US it can take 2 to 5 days. I am in Tennessee and if they mail on a Monday I receive it on a Saturday.

• Pa
    Pamela lee brown Aug 17, 2018

@Mandy Hannah-Lulo Mine went to 0 this past Tuesday. Did it get mailed that same day and I live in Florida and it hasn’t came yet and it’s friday.

• Cr
    Crystal White Aug 21, 2018

@Pamela lee brown Have you received yet check yet?

Heather Phelps Mar 23, 2019

@Jacy Sifuentes where did you see this? Looking at my account it has my stipend amount that I receive in ( ) but also has a $0.00 for the charge only so yeah I am confused o n where you see that.

• Al
    Alliyuah Reeves Sep 07, 2018

I’m Waiting On Mine It Hasn’t Came Yet Either My Financial Aid Posted On The 6th Just Waiting For Check a To Post

Champaigne Hall Sep 10, 2018

@Alliyuah Reeves Same here my financial aid posted on the 5th and my counselor just told me I would receive the check by the 26th which I don't think is true.

Champaigne Hall Sep 15, 2018

@Champaigne Hall My balance just went to 0 yesterday

• Ta
    Tah-tiana Sep 08, 2018

Does anyone know how often stipend checks are disbursed? Some say after every 2 classes but I’m not so sure...

• Da
    dab90 Oct 09, 2018

@Tah-tiana Did you get an answer to your question, because I'm wondering the same thing?

Andrea So Blessed Thigpen Feb 05, 2019

@Tah-tiana Every three for masters!

Heather Phelps Mar 23, 2019

@Andrea So Blessed Thigpen every three what for masters? do you mean classes or months?

• Dj
    Dj2018 Sep 17, 2018

Did anyone ever get theirs and how long does it take for it to post to your account?

• To
    Tootles123 Oct 13, 2018

@Dj2018 It is an extremely SLOW process. I ended up having to go to my bank and apply for a personal loan to buy books because I couldn't get my financial aid in time to buy books.

• Ne
    neeah Sep 25, 2018

My account is in the negative, what does that mean?

• Ju
    Judahj79 Sep 27, 2018

@neeah That means that the financial aid you've been awarded has hit your account. Your school expenses have been paid for and if their is a refund check it will be made out to you. The negative is the amount of your refund stpend check that will be mailed to you within 30 days from the time you noticed it had the negative sign.

• Th
    Thickmadame Apr 27, 2019

@Judahj79 Mines is negative and has been for two weeks they have three loans totally 12, 000 for me like i havent heard nothing about nothing but a email saying i have disbursements nothing else like do they let u know when they send checks out or u just have to wait also does it really take 30 days for your stipend check to come im hoping someone can help me thanks in advance. Concerned first time student at grand canyon

• Om
    omari Dixon Aug 31, 2019

@Thickmadame Can somebody tell me will i get the negative amount in the balance selected enrollment

Michelle1967 Sep 13, 2019

@omari Dixon Yes, you’ll get the negative. I’m still waiting for the Pell Grant to hit. Did you receive the Pell Grant?

• Zi
    Zimyah Oct 29, 2018

Can somebody tell me how often stipend checks are mailed? I heard every two classes? Thanks in advance

Amanda Marie McGuire Nov 11, 2018

it said stipend (0)$ Friday its is about to be Monday how long it take to get to ga

Amanda Mcguir Nov 16, 2018

@Amanda Marie McGuire It's now one week and its Friday still no check. Does anyone know what bank the is drawn off. I am in GA

• Fe
    Fee46 Nov 17, 2018

Same here I’m in Ga also and nothing my counselor told me yesterday in an email that they was picked for mail on Tuesday and it’s Saturday nothing yet. How long does it take to arrive

• Ki
    Kiona Bailey Dec 09, 2018

@Fee46 Did you get your check? My acct said 0 in 12/4/18 and I just want to know how long I should be expecting to wait. Please help

• Ki
    Kiona Bailey Dec 09, 2018

@Fee46 also in GA

• Ho
    Holliwood Dec 14, 2018

@Kiona Bailey @Fee46 Have you received your check yet? If so, how long did it take for you to get it?

• Cl
    Clasyjaszy Dec 22, 2018

@Holliwood Hey have you received your check yet I went to zero on the 14th and still no check yet and I'm in GA

• Za
    Zachary Wilson Dec 31, 2019

@Kiona Bailey Did you ever recieve?

Shakewill89 Dec 21, 2018

Hi you guys, my amount went to zero on 12/14 and I just received my check today, so it took exactly 1 week and im in California.

Amberce Jan 18, 2019

@Shakewill89 How long have you been in school for

Shun Jackson Jan 31, 2019

my balance say zero what that mean?

Heather Phelps Mar 23, 2019

@Shun Jackson means that your balance was paid and you dont owe anything.

• Ha
    Haley123 Feb 05, 2019

My account balance went to $0 on Thursday the 31st. I live in Ohio, when will it be in my mailbox?

Heather Phelps Mar 23, 2019

So I just checked my student ledger on my student portal to see when I will receive my next stipend check and saw this instead 03/22/2019 Refund - D UNSUB 2018-19 $0.00 ($3, 435.00) what does this mean? Has anyone else ever received this?

• As
    Ashley Quinonez Mar 24, 2019

@Heather Phelps Hi Heather, I see the same thing on my account too. I noticed this on 3/20 but not have received anything in the mail. I am local and assumed I would have received something by now. I typically see a “Stipend” amount but this time it says “refund”. I’m unsure as too what this means as well.

• Ga
    Gabriela Luna Apr 18, 2019

@Heather Phelps Hi! I was wondering where the student ledger is on the student portal so that I can check out what my screen reads?

• Ba
    baymiller90 Mar 20, 2020

@Heather Phelps What dose Refund - D UNSUB 2019-20 Refund - D SUB 2019-20 Refund - PELL 2019-20 mean

Heather Phelps Mar 23, 2019

Does anyone really know how often you receive your stipend checks? I have already received two and have taken for classes so far. I started college in August 2018 and received my first stipend check in December and then received my second check in February. So I am thinking every two-three months.

• Ga
    Gabriela Luna Apr 18, 2019

Hi! I just started my first online class at GCU on April 1st - Does anyone know when I should be receiving financial aid and/or a disbursement check?

Minipearl1989 May 13, 2019

@Gabriela Luna Usually after the second class and half way through the 3rd. But if you go to your financial hub tab and you see a () amount in your balance that is when they will send your check. Based on your location it can take up to 3 weeks to a month to get.

Minipearl1989 May 13, 2019

My last class falls into the fall semester alone, should I still receive a stipend check?

Amber Stewart May 13, 2019

@Minipearl1989 Did you figure out any info I started the same time will it really be that long before an disbursements

Foreveryoung41715 May 16, 2019

Last year I saw my account 0'd out on the 31st of October and I recieved my check on the 5th of November. So not even a week ans that included a Saturday and Sunday.

Here I am now, I began classes 4/18 and my account zeroed out on the 7th of May, and still no stipend in the mail. It frustrates me that these refunds have no tracking. My previous school direct deposited them into an account.

How long did it take for those of you, who waited a bit, to receive your stipend? If I count the day it was placed at 0 I'm at a week and 2 days.

Shaymcgee May 16, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Can you update when you get yours they said mines was sent out on the 9th. I live in California mines hasn't come yet, but the two I received last year came within a week or less.

Foreveryoung41715 May 16, 2019

@Shaymcgee Yes, once I get it I will update. In that is crazy! You're a lot closer than I am, I feel as if yours should have arrived by now! I am in Tennessee. I wish they would ask if students would like to pay for it to be sent with a tracking number.

Shaymcgee May 16, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Yes, I agree that should be an option and also direct deposit.

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Hey guys, my stipend was placed on my ledger on May 8th, still nothing. I also had a separate stipend placed on the ledger on May 6th and received that on May 13th. I'm in South Florida. I've been at GCU for 3 years now and have always had my check on the 5th day but it seems like the checks sent around may 7-9th are delayed per the comments. Let me know when you have an update.

Trock79 May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 My stipend was sent on the 7th of May and have not received it. I received my last two stipends within 4 days. When I called, I was told that it can take up to 4 weeks to receive it. I asked them if the stipend was generated on the 7th or sent out on the 7th. I was told that it was sent on the 7th. I live in California, so I should have received by now. I guess the mail carrier is walking to California to deliver it or it hadn’t been sent.

Foreveryoung41715 May 17, 2019

@Trock79 That is insane!! My friend lives in PA and earlier in the year she recieved hers. She said it took two weeks!

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Trock79 That's what it seems like. Im in Florida and in the past 3 years have never had a delay with my stipend. Has always been 5 days. For some reason I don't think they sent them out on the date it says. I should've been received mine as well.

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Welp! No check today. Also, for those wanting to know what's coming in the mail for that day you can sign up for informed delivery on the USPS website. They send a picture to notify you of any mail coming every day

Foreveryoung41715 May 17, 2019

@Beaudee No check here either. I signed up for it but unfortunately it had to send it via the mail to confirm it is me

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Wow. Smh! This is becoming annoying. First time this has happened. My counselor seems to be a little nonchalant as if she knows it didn't go out on the date in the ledger. Hmmmm definitely have to do some more digging. I'll let you know if I get something tomorrow or find out something new.

Shaymcgee May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 I didn't receive mine either. I reached out to my counselor and he said I need to check with my post office and I told him that the post office said if it was sent on the 9th it should be here. I asked who do I make a complaint to because this is nonsense. I also signed up for the USPS thing so we will see tomorrow.

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Shaymcgee I agree. I'm giving it one more day and then making a complaint Monday if it's not here tomorrow. That's money we eventually have to pay back so...

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Shaymcgee Anyone interested in starting a Facebook group for these issues? I can start it...

Shaymcgee May 17, 2019

@Beaudee He told me that if it doesn't come within 21 days then they can cancel it. I feel as though they should have tracking set up for any checks being mailed.

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Shaymcgee Yea I was told the same thing. The 30th will be 21 days for me. Just makes me wonder where it could be IF they even sent it out on time. I'm having hopes for tomorrow or Monday. I received the other check on Monday which was placed on my ledger 5/6. So something isn't right

Foreveryoung41715 May 17, 2019

@Beaudee I'm down to set up a Facebook page for this. GCU needs to take care of this because I'm sure there are more than just us waiting still. There is no way it takes 3-4 weeks for standard mail across the states. I understand overseas but not stateside.

@Foreveryoung41715 I agree!

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 Same thing I said. I'll set it up after work tonight or by the morning and then post it here.

@Beaudee Sounds good!

Michelle1967 Sep 13, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 In today’s world who gets checks in the mail anymore. Everyone has a bank account, there is no reason we shouldn’t have direct deposit except that the school earns interest every single day it sits in their account. So frustrating!

• Ba
    Bay90miller Oct 07, 2019

@Michelle1967 Long long did it take to receive your check

Trock79 May 17, 2019

I’m so confused. Why do I have a balance after GCU receives my financial aid and sends the excess funds to me?( Which I still have not received)

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Trock79 Is the balance in parenthesis? Also when did you start? Does your ledger show a stipend sent out?

Trock79 May 17, 2019

@Beaudee It shows a balance due of $45... not a lot of money, however, that should have been taken care of before my stipend was sent out... no parenthesis...I started July of 2018.. stipend was sent out 5/7/19...

Beaudee May 17, 2019

@Trock79 Yeah, that happened to me before but not immediately afterwards more like a month before a disbursement was going to be issued. It'll sit there until the next disbursement. Definitely their fault for missing that. Or you can just pay it from your stipend. You'll receive a statement for it but just ignore it.

Morgan1223 May 18, 2019

My stipend posted to my account may 8th as well. I live in Florida and still no check. I always have it within 4-5 days.

Beaudee May 18, 2019

@Morgan1223 Morgan I live in Florida too. See Trock's message below. Looks like they sent them out late.

Morgan1223 May 18, 2019

@Beaudee @Beaudee Thank you for the information.

Trock79 May 18, 2019

I just checked informed delivery through the USPS and my stipend will be delivered today. However, the postage printed on the stipend from GCU says May 16. So I do believe that they did not send it out on the 7th like they said.

Beaudee May 18, 2019

@Trock79 That's great. I had a feeling they sent them out late. Once you get it can you tell us the date printed on the check? I'll give mine until Wednesday to arrive.

@Beaudee Absolutely

Shaymcgee May 18, 2019

@Trock79 I am happy that you got yours I may not be getting mine until Monday or Tuesday. Because mines isn't there.

Trock79 May 18, 2019

@Shaymcgee I will post the postage date on the envelope as well as the date the check was generated.

Beaudee May 19, 2019

@Trock79 Hope all is well. Any updates? Did it actually come?

Morgan1223 May 18, 2019

Yea mine wasn't there today either @trock79 keep us updated!!

christin hale May 18, 2019

Its seems I am in the same boat as all of you. Mine said sent out may 8. Nothing today either and I live in Louisiana

Foreveryoung41715 May 18, 2019

I didn't have any mail today 😔. This is frustrating! Hoping it will arrive next week. It definitely sounds like the didn't post the dates correctly in the ledger.

Beaudee May 18, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 I know. Trock gave us some hope though. Being that his mail is dated 5/16 shows that they just sent it out. I'm waiting for him to post the date on the actual check once he receives it.

Foreveryoung41715 May 18, 2019

@Beaudee Yes. Hopefully they will start to show up over the course of next week.

@Foreveryoung41715 Any updates?

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Beaudee Nothing so far. My mail doesnt usually arrive until about 2-4 p.m.

I have a gut feeling it wont arrive though

Beaudee May 20, 2019

Oh ok I have a notification for 3 mail pieces today so I'll see what happens if not Wednesday at the latest. I was hoping Trock could give us the date on the check too.

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Beaudee Yeah, me too. If the stamp said the 16th, maybe they didnt send them out when they stated.

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Beaudee I finally verified for the informed delivery; however, it states I have 0 mail pieces being delivered today. I'm pretty sure it is because I just verified myself but I could be wrong.

Shaymcgee May 20, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 I received an email notification through USPS informed mail. It shows that mines is here, the envelope is post dated for the 16th. Once I receive my mail today I will update you all on the date that is on the check.

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

Mine came today everyone the date on the check was may 7th but the postage said may 16. They were sent out late.

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Morgan1223 And you're in FL, right?

Beaudee May 20, 2019

@Morgan1223 Cool. And that's a darn shame they sent it so late. Morgan I'm in Miami. How about you?

I am in Jacksonville FL!

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Morgan1223 Ah sweet!! I have family in Jacksonville!!

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

I agree it is a shame they sent it late I was really being to think it got lost.

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 I am moving back to GA in the summer.

No mail here 😓

Beaudee May 20, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 There's a very good chance yours will be here tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the mail to get here.

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

@Beaudee So apparently the mail is like 2 hours later than their usual arrival. He/she just drove by and should head back down my street soon. I'll update if it is here in a few.

Beaudee May 20, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 My stipend is here!

Hopefully tomorrow!

Antonio Miller May 20, 2019

Anyone in Ohio recieved theirs yet? GCU said mine was sent out on the 9th, but I haven't recieved anything

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

@Antonio Miller Yours probley wasn't sent on the 9th the school said mine was sent on the 8th the date on check was the 7th but the date of the postage was the 16th. I would think you would receive yours in the next few days tomorrow or the next day hopefully.

Beaudee May 20, 2019

@Antonio Miller Received mine today in Miami, Florida. Same thing post dated for the 16th

Antonio Miller May 20, 2019

@Morgan1223 Thanks...this is crazy

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

@Antonio Miller I know I got really worried when the school told me it was sent on the 8th.

Foreveryoung41715 May 20, 2019

My comment never posted. My stipend arrived today.

Morgan1223 May 20, 2019

@Foreveryoung41715 @foreveryoung41715 about time mine did too.

• La
    Lauren Rae May 21, 2019

Prettygirl74 ...Hello, I am having the same problem. Mines says the 8th of May, but have not receive my check yet. I live in state of MS. Has anyone in MS has received their check yet. I has been worrying thinking someone had stolen it. I have been calling my student counselor and he keeps saying it was mailed out on the 8th.

Beaudee May 21, 2019

@Lauren Rae Hey try signing up for informed delivery. The checks were mailed out on the 16th. My check date says the 8th but the postage says the 16th. Received yesterday. Maybe you'll get it today or tomorrow

Bryton Davis May 21, 2019

No check today I’m In SC somebody tell me it’s going to be tommrow

Brandi Wallace May 22, 2019

I've been waiting to receive my stipend for almost 4 weeks now. My ledger went to zero May 7th. Now, my advisor said that they mailed the checks out on the 8th of May. I have never waited this long for my check. The first stipend I received took 2 days to receive. After realizing they actually didn't mail them off until May 16th, GCU has been giving me running around and didn't want to tell the truth on when they mailed the checks off. I'm still waiting on my stipend as of today May 21st.

• In
    InfidelTom May 22, 2019

@Brandi Wallace how long does it take for my money to go from being in ( ) to going to 0?

Brandi Wallace May 22, 2019

Just received notification from Informed Delivery my check well be here today!! FINALLY!

Travon Love May 25, 2019

@Brandi Wallace I'm having the same issue. It says mines has been sent on the 16th and it's been over a week. I never had this problem before so I'm wondering why now. I'm in CA and so I know it shouldn't be this long to get something from GCU especially since the school is in Phoenix so I'm starting to think it never was sent like they said it did

• Ya
    Yaram O May 22, 2019

I have a Stipend date 5-21-2019, what does it mean

TravonLove559 May 25, 2019

@Yaram O It usually means that's the day they sent the check off but lately I've been noticing with everyone that the dates have been wrong. They said they sent mines off on the 16th and it's been over a week and 1 day and I haven't gotten anything back. In the past I got it within 3 to 5 days but this time not sure what's the hold up

• Ka
    kateia drummond Jun 15, 2019

I have a question about my next stipend. so i will be finished my 3rd class on july 3 and my account is still at zero. how long will it take for the school to bill me for my next 3 classes then issue my next stipend. I could really use that money.

Tia

• Ka
    kateia drummond Jun 15, 2019

@kateia drummond i got my first stipend in April and i started school in March 7.