Gentek Building ProductsBad windows

M Review updated:

About 4 years ago I purchased new gentek windows for my brand new home, durinng our first winter we noticed a considerable amount of frost build up on the outside of ouur windows we called the manufacturer and to no avail, we had to take them to court and after four years two independant engineers failing the quality of the windows plus an independant inspection of the installation and a report, and 41, 000 in damages, legal expenses, I thought I woould share my experience with the rest of the world and suggest to anyone out there thinking of purchasing any products from gentek building products not too I will post pictures and reports if intrested

• Is
    islandtraveler Jul 26, 2010

Please advise whole story. I've got these windows. Thanks!

• Ra
    Rasselas Aug 12, 2010

Islandtraveler:

Have you had any problems with your Gentek windows and did Mopar88 provide any more detials, ??

• Dr
    Droi Mar 30, 2011

We were thinking of getting these windows, what kind of windows were they

• So
    South GA Mar 30, 2011

I have the GentekSignature Series Gentek Windows in my Home. I have had no problems, I live in South GA. Had my windows installed in 2005. I ran across this post because i was looking for some pics of the outside of the window to email to my cousin. I, m referred him to the contractor that put my windows in.

I haven't had any of the problems that the other person posted about, but I live in South Georgia, We don't have any frost to be concerned with. Just thought I would post my experince with the my gentek windows.
    I have also been told that Gentek makes the Windows for Window World. It is a Big Company in the South, have not heard any problems about their windows - just their price being high compared to small companies.

• Wi
    windowwise Apr 26, 2011

The frost build up on the inside of your new windows is due to the fact that your home is now sealed from the the installation, whereas before, your old windows were very poor in insulating your home and inside warm air was alowed to escape. Since the new windows were installed warm air is no longer able to escape the humidity in your home reaches the glass and forms ice. This is caused by high humidity in your home and is more prominent on cold days. Your issue has nothing to do with the windows.

• Ha
    hajaz May 06, 2017

@windowwise i don't agree. window providers are trained to spread those false rumors. let science speak and shut up.

Anonymous Housewife Jan 16, 2012

We installed Gentek windows in 2010. We live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. There are lots condensation in all windows since last week. Our room temperature is 20 degrees Celsius. Outside temperature is around -5 degree Celsius. We turned down the humidifier. It still didn't remove the condensation. I called M&M Windows Co. Inc. who installed the Gentek window for us. He said that my house is too cold. I should turn the temperature to 22 degrees Celsius. I didn't agree with what he said. I have breathing problems when the heat is too high. I like my room temperature to be 18 - 20 degrees. I didn’t have condensation problem last winter. The problem started last week. Can anyone give me some advice for what to do?
    By the way, I can’t comment on Gentek windows if it is good or not yet. . I suggest you don’t use M&M Windows Co. Inc for installation. The workmanship was bad. They broke an old window. They didn’t clean it up and left the broken glass on the walkway and my backyard. I had to call them few times to clean it up.

macro007 May 01, 2012

I have had Gentek Vinyl Windows for a few years, specifically the Regency ones.

I live in Calgary Alberta, our winter temperatures are probably similar to the OP's. I've never had a frost problem, or noticed any condensation issues like the ones Anonymous Housewife mentioned. I did however have an issue with the release latches. Maybe I was too rough with them, or maybe they were just poorly made...

After a couple years the release latches that hold the sash in place had all broken. It's just simple plastic tab on the top of the window, and when the window is opened all the way (it's a vertical sliding window), the plastic tab hits the stopper above, after repeated use the tabs broke off. The specific model of latches I have are actually no longer made, so I assume they've made improvements since (These windows were manufactured in 2006).

I tried to get the company who did the install to come and fix it, but after a couple weeks of getting the run-a-round and not return my calls, I sent an email to Gentek using the form on their website. I received a reply within minutes, asking me for specifics (model number etc...). The woman who helped me offered to send the replacement tabs at no cost, and explained how to install the replacements. I was extremely impressed by the customer service at Gentek, so I wanted to post a review.

• Mt
    mth3 Apr 25, 2013

We purchases Gentek windows a year ago. I have talked directly to Gentek about a fog problem on our windows. Every morning from May until Nov. the outside of the windows is foggy until the sun burns it off. Our old windows never once had a fog build up on them. This is so bad we are not able to see out at all. Gentek told me it is because of insulation and high humidity in our house which I don't agree with. The moisture buildup is not inside. I really would appreciate if someone could tell me why our windows are doing this??

• Wa
    wayne spragg Jan 15, 2014

I have been a builder for many years i have installed pella dashwood pollard & pella vynl replacements with no problems. However these Gentek vynl double hung leak air where they join lots of air you might as well have window part way open

Marshamarsha Jan 30, 2019

@wayne spragg We got 2 replacement windows (gentec) double hung, and the air leakage is the same or worse than the old ones! They came and put more weather stripping on the one but it really makes no difference. I am so disappointed that I am going to have to go back to putting plastic film over my windows! What a waste of money!!!

• 88
    888notamused Feb 22, 2014

We are experiencing same thing -cold and frost on our windows. Gentek sent over a sub contractor and gave us the same excuse that other poster experienced. Would you please share your file with us and advise how you went about suing this company. We are tired of the run around that we are angry.

• Se
    serenaquick Jul 10, 2014

Does anyone know if triple glazing windows are better than double glazed ones for the Ottawa Ontario region? And would they cause frost build up? If so, what should I do to remedy the problem? Thanks for any advice.

• Be
    Beach Bob Aug 08, 2014

I have just installed Gentek windows and I am having a similar condensation problem. The condensation is on the outside of the windows and windows, including the problem ones, pare wide open. There is no a/c nor heat and air temp difference between outside and in is zero as the windows are wide open. They fog up at about 5 am and clear around 11am when the sun burns it off.
    Would Rainex or a similar product help?
    I am not sure it is a fault with the window, but it is a phenomenon I have not seen until these new windows.

Comments

• Mo
    Mommy Sharon Jan 07, 2015

Do more research before you consider to install GENTEK windows!!!
    We installed Gentek windows in the spring of 2011. One the glass was crack by itself last March. The temperature was -13 degree Celsius. I called M&M Windows Co. Inc. who installed the Gentek windows for us. The sales person explained that the temperature was too cold. Our house was an old house. The cold pressure made the wall change shape and pushed the window unevenly, eventually it cracked the window and the glass broke. Eh? Did it make any sense to you? The cost to replace the window was $500. Today, Temperature is -17 degree Celsius. 5 out of 21 windows has frosted (snow flakes) inside the glasses, yes, the frost are between the glasses. This is ridiculous. Please advise if you have any suggestions.

• Jb
    JBdeluxeWindow Apr 21, 2015

Gentek are 'builder windows' prone to condensation and frost build-up. This is not just aesthetics, this means the window is not performing/insulating. Start with purchasing a Higher Quality window to reduce the chances. Then choose TRIPLE-glaze windows (Not in Georgia, of course) to reduce it further. Up the quality scale again is Krypton Gas and Offset Technology - which all but eliminates this problem except in extreme environmental conditions. Great windows need a great installation. Just make an effort to find out WHY your windows are priced to slow BEFORE you buy them. It doesn't do you much good Afterwards. BTW, I'm completely biased ... as I happen to sell the great ones.

• Mi
    mikehalcarz Aug 23, 2015

14 Windows installed in March of 2014. ICE, not condensate or frost INSIDE of my house. SEE Photo. I also was told TOO much humidity, room temperature is too cool. I sleep in this room ! I don't like to sweat at night, not to mention, the INSIDE of the window is LESS THAN 32 Deg F !!

Comments

• Co
    Colin Blumer Sep 21, 2017

I received a quote from a local window and door business which I considered much too high so I did my homework and found other Gentek Dealers.
    Windsor Plywood informed me Gentec will not give them a quote for me because I had a previous quote from my local dealer. This is terrible business practice. A homeowner should have the right to shop around for the best prices anywhere possible. I will be investigating and will be in touch with the Better Business Bureau.

• Ga
    gary hewey Nov 04, 2017

@Colin Blumer They have a price book and can give you a price .They are a customer of Windsor plywood and don't want to take their business. Buying windows from a lumber company is very expensive .Use the gentek regency line or the 400 regency .

• Pe
    pete8812 Sep 23, 2018

I just had 15 Gentek windows installed and I am not impressed with the spring loaded screening system they have for the windows. It leaves an open gap at the bottom of the screen system which allows tiny insects like
    no-see-ums (black flies that bite) to easily enter the house. Also, I had the windows painted in brown to match outside of the house. They were delivered all scratched. The touch up paint they give you is so thick it makes a mess when you try to touch it up. By the way, it was not the installer who scratched the paint. I personally watched them remove the wrapping around the windows and the scratches were there. As for other issues with the windows, it is too early to tell. I will let you know after a winter has passed.

Joshua Tinsdale Jul 27, 2020

@pete8812 I had no condensation problems with the windows. All is good but the screens are still an issue (spring loaded) I had them replace the screens but there is still a problem with a gap. I had to use painters tape to seal the bottom of the window to keep the bugs out. Imagine paying $20K for windows and you have to tape the bottom because the screens don't fit properly!