Geek Squadgeek squad - is a total rip off!

I scheduled a Geek Squad appointment just after Christmas to set up my wireless internet connection on my Macintosh. I waited 2 weeks for appointment.

When the day finally came my Geek Special Agent was an hour late. We were already off to a bad start as I left work an hour early to accommodate the appt.

The Special Agent spent a total of 15 minutes making the connection as I had already set up the Airport with Apple over the phone. I was charged $169. plus tax and he was on his way. The connection worked for about an hour until the computer went to sleep and I found out he hadn't locked the settings and hadn't changed the sleep mode. Since i was was not privy to his geek magic, I did not know the IP addy he used to set up the wireless on my Airport Extreme. I immediately called Geek Squad back and I was told I would receive a call to reset things. When this did not happen i called the next morning and made 2 subsequent calls until I was given appt that day at 2:40 PM. Well, the Geek never showed up. when I called back at 5PM to find out what happened, I was told the appt wasn't on record and that they would text the Geek to call me immediately. Ten days and many phone call later, I am still waiting. The Geek Squad people tell me they are only a franchise and can't help me. Best Buy, who holds the franchise, ignores my calls. I have put the payment in dispute with my credit card company and I am hiring a reputable tech company to correct the problem. The Geek Squad guarantees their work for 30 days. I am betting they are waiting for the guarantee to run out!

Meanwhile, no wireless!

• On
    Onyoufeet Aug 19, 2016

I am not the most knowledgable individual when it comes to computers, although, I do know enough to realize Geek Squad is not who they want you to think they are. Geek Squad wants you to think they are your friend and that they will be there to pick you up if something happens to you. This is NOT TRUE!

I purchased a computer and a service plan with Geek Squad. They promise to fix your computer if something goes wrong and replace your computer if the promblem continues. Once again this is not 100% True. They will not fix your computer for free if you have purchased the service plan and you have a virus. Lucky me, I don't get viruses. But my computer has been serviced over 6 times for the same problem, they replaced the hard drive twice, they have told me that nothing was wrong with it twice, and they reformated the OS (operating system). Every signle time I send it to geek squad its for the same problem yet they are screwing me and not replacing my computer because they claim that I do not have 3 legit or "qualifying repairs." This is BULL ###, they are just running in circles until my service plan ends and they don't have to worry about me anymore.

I have called Geek Squad and Best Buy multiple times and nothing ever happens they just tell me that they cant do anything because there has not been 3 qualified repairs. That is redic, they have had my computer for longer then I have and now the service plan is running down and they are just sitting back and not being much help.

I am in the process of getting my computer serviced again. If for some reason my computer is replaced I will re-post letting you know that they have fullfilled their duties. But I still do not think I will ever use Geek Squad again!

Junior Aug 18, 2016

I was HIGHLY disappointed in my service last month at Geek Squad. I spent almost 100 bucks for nothing. I brought my business laptop into Geek Squad because it intermittently wouldn't turn on at times, and I have to try turning it on sometimes 10-12 times before it finally boots. I thoroughly explained the situation to them.

After waiting a week, got a call from the squad. Called back 14 times in two days, waiting 10 minutes + each time, but never got anyone on the phone. I finally drove over, stood in line for 1/2 hour, only to find out they the extent of their find was: They had done a scan and found some cookies & data miners on my computer. Big whoop, I do that every week with adware.

Then I asked, "so why does the computer intermittently not start?" Get ready for this...

THEY HAD NO CLUE. THEY HADN'T EVEN REPRODUCED THE PROBLEM. The guy had to go read the file to find out what I was talking about. 100 bucks, and I left with a computer that still has this same problem THAT I REPRODUCE EVERY DAY. In my opinion, this is the poorest service I've EVER experienced. I literally paid 100 bucks for a problem that the "geeks" couldn't even reproduce, which I reproduce every day. 100 bucks gone, only to be back at the same place I was before, with no answers or hints as to what's wrong. Wasted time and money.

The rep was less than empathetic; no offer of recompense was given, just "see you later, next please." I have a very poor image of Geek Squad at this point. When I have a great customer experience, I make it a point to tell everybody. The same goes for lousy customer experience. I feel it my duty to warn all friends, family and colleagues of my bad experience at Geek Squad and no attempt on their part to make amends.

• Zq
    Zqk54 Jul 22, 2016

They have had my laptop in for repair for three months and it is still not fixed. It's a long story, but to get to the point there is no way I'd ever buy ANYTHING again from Best Buy. they are horrible and so is Geek Squad. Very rude and they have no interest in making the customer happy, you are lucky if the managers return your call.

They sold me a lemon computer, and are wasting my time endlessly without result. I won't buy a Gateway computer again either - they are an endless wave of frustration also, and the computer I bought had all kinds of problems. They even lost my power cord and were very rude when I demanded a replacement after hearing nothing from them about it.

• Ko
    Kool Kayaker Jul 15, 2016

Bought Desktop from Geek Squad. Was told would be a free hour of computer hook up and then $99/hr for additional time. Service man was not prepared at all. He unhook my old computer. He did not have two cables needed to do his job. At end of job he asked if I wanted my old data transfered. I said yes and he had to hook back p my old computer to trasfer data. I had to furnish him two of my own cables I had from old computers for him to do his job. Took him
    2:45 mins to do his job. I was charged a additional $173 for him to hook up my computer. Was a big rip off. A person that knows what he is doing, would of not took that long and had all the cables to do his job. Will never buy anything again from Geek Squad. Buyers, BEWARE!

• Di
    dianat415 Jun 03, 2016

Well, I have now had two scheduling snafus with Geek Squad. I live in Manhattan and had to call three different stores before I could get a Geek Squad person to schedule the initial appointment. The scheduler at the 5th Ave store was obviously not trained as she had to keep putting me on hold to ask someone else questions. After 20 minutes she scheduled my appointment. The day of the appointment arrived -- Geek Squad was a no-show and never called to inform me of anything. Afterwards, the store told me to call the 800 number, which I did. Rep on 800 number told me my appointment had been inadvertently cancelled in the system. So, I rescheduled for today and waited home for 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon. Again, Geek Squad was a no-show and never called me. Once again, I called the 800# and rep today told me that the Geek Squad rep had an "incident" and could not show up. And, on top of it all, my credit card was charged for this service over a month ago. Really, really disgraceful for a service company.

• Ro
    Rob2000 Jun 03, 2016

i've had similar problem

• Ke
    Kelly Austin Jun 03, 2016

GEEK SQUAD is a very bad company to deal with, I took out insurance for my iphone, it went missing from the doorstep even before I received, this was over 2 months ago, called GEEK SQUAD for help; was put through several lengthy phone conversation, then lengthy police report followed, as they required one, week or so later called again, still 2 more long phone interviews, 2 months later, , , Nothing, was put through more stress than the actual phones worth.. just called and cancelled the policy. The customer service representatives are really abrupt and sometimes really rude, this is with the claims, but all sweet when setting up the policy to take your money for their commission; suppose they are trained in that way, to be rude when its payout time. Advice to all: KEEP AWAY!!!

• J1
    J1O Jun 03, 2016

I have had problems with them on my laptop. I dropped off on the 6th of May, was told it should be ready the next day. No call for 5 days, called and it needs to be sent to their repair place, can't fix at the Best Buy location where I dropped it off. So they sent it my snail mail, took a week for repair place to even receive it. It was determined it needed parts, took 2 days to get, then determined again needed parts, it took 15 days and nothing done. I called and spoke with another agent, and was told that he doesn't understand what is taking so long either. He tells me that within 48 hours I will get an email and call from the agent who is doing repair work. Guess what??? No call or email was made. Called them back 3 days later and was told yet another part has been ordered that very day @ 6:35 am. I am not happy with geek squad, I have been lied to and not feeling confident that they even know how to repair my laptop. I mean how many parts do you need to fix it, and why can't you order them all at once????? To top it off, I keep getting notifications from them that my contract with them is ending soon, I should hurry to renew it. I am thinking of telling them that I am ordering parts before I renew.

• Ri
    Rita Kaspars Liddell Oct 16, 2015

i wonder if best buy or the geek squad read these, or if anyone cares, three weeks in to get my washer fixed and a man comes out, asks me whats wrong, writes it down, then says he will call LG with the symptoms and find out what parts are needed and get back to me, then he says i owed him $100. for the call, i said no, i have an extended warranty. he said they didn't send you any paperwork, i said no, and even if they did, the geek squad better eat it up, 3 WEEKS, and each time i called the geek squad the agent just says, yes ma'am, i do apologize, and i get no where, it's all the same, two or three business, well it turned into 3 weeks and still not fixed, and i do not know when either, if this was a REFRIGERATOR, i don't know what i would do, i am ready to take the washer back to the store and demand a full refund or a new washer, this is unacceptable, and no one cares, at all, such bad business, never again, i will buy my appliances from home depot or lowes anytime, best buy lost a good customer

Jason Kr. Apr 05, 2014

Ill preface this with stating that I'm relatively computer
    savvy, however there are times when I simply do not have the time to fix the
    issues caused by my families web browsing habits, nor the patience. I've
    utilized Geek Squad quite a few times since the late 2000's with problems here
    and there, but nothing like what I've experienced the last year of doing
    business with them.

The most recent experience I've had with the Geek Squad has
    left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth. In early March, I took a computer
    into Geek Squad to have them remove an apparent virus. My eldest son had been
    using the PC for "homework, " and had been complaining of numerous pop
    ups and issues where the browser would take you to a, less than desirable,
    website other than where you requested to go.

I spent about an hour going through it and trying to remove
    the virus. The conclusion that I had was that the infection was beyond my
    abilities and would have to be looked at by a professional. The next day, I
    took it in and dropped it off with the familiar faces at my local best buy. One
    of the guys in there recognized me and got the paperwork started as usual. Took
    my concerns down, noted the hardware I’d dropped off and said they would call
    the next day after he had a chance to look at it.

Next day rolls around- No Call.

Next Day – No Call.

Five days into it I receive a call, from someone other than
    my normal tech, who says the problem is fixed, and the PC is ready for pickup.
    $199.99—Not too bad, considering it was 4 or 5 days’ worth of work on the
    computer, I’m just happy to have the computer back. It’s hard to share the
    three computers we have in the house with the 5 family members in our
    household.

Upon getting the computer home, hooked up, and turned on the
    first thing I noticed was that the computer was NOT fixed. It was exactly how
    it was when I had dropped it off.

I contacted the store that evening and was instructed to
    bring the machine back in, and they would look at it. I immediately unplugged
    it, drove it back over, and dropped it off with the same technician that
    released it to me just hours earlier. The tech informed me that it would be looked
    at first thing in the morning, by the technician that usually works on my
    machines.

At this point, I am upset, but more frustrated. I am very
    understanding and do realize that things happen. This is a fact of life.

The problem occurred when 48 hours later, I get a call to
    pick the computer up. Rinse and repeat. Get the machine home, kids are using it
    for a few hours to get homework down, the pop ups appear and the “browser
    redirects” start happening, this time much worse than before. The computer is
    now locked up and unusable. It was at this point, we shut the machine off and
    left it alone. The following morning, I called and spoke with a Geek Squad
    supervisor about getting a full refund for the service. The manager instructed
    me to bring the computer in and they would take a look at it. At this point I
    told them I had already hired someone else to fix it and repair the issues, and
    I would prefer a refund. The manager said they could not do that and that I had
    to bring the machine back in. Obviously, I am unable to do this. I found an
    online computer repair company, SafePCFix, that will do the repair remotely and
    while you watch (if you want.) They had walked me through the connection
    process and were fixing it, while I was on the phone with Geek Squad supervisor
    trying to get the refund from the botched job. While they declined to do it,
    the tech I was working with offered to help me get a refund by providing proof
    of the rootkit that was still installed on the machine.

I contacted the CC Company with the information the
    technician gave me and they refunded my money back to my account. I’m unsure if
    Geek Squad is going to fight the case or not, but the technician at safepcfix
    told me they would help out if they needed to.

It took these guys 2 hours to fix Geek Squad’s errors and
    mistakes. The computer works better than it did when we purchased it, and I am
    very happy with the work. I will no longer be using Geek Squad, and I recommend
    that no one else does either. There are times to skimp on repair services, and
    when you’re dealing with expensive electronics, its better to do it right the
    first time. I sincerely hope that none of you have to go through what I did. It
    has been quite a nightmare. Note: I have annexed some details out of the above
    story to save time and space. If anyone is interested in getting more details
    about my experience, please email me and I will be happy to answer any
    questions that you have.

I was in a very similar position to you Tom. It took Geek
    Squad over a week to repair my system, and even then, I had browser problems
    and pop-ups.

I found your comment a couple weeks ago and looked up
    safepcfix guys. Called them and they verified geek squads problems and fixed
    the errors they left behind. My laptop was still infected with a rootkit that
    took 2 hours for them to remove properly. They got it fixed though, and called
    when it was done. It works great now. Its actually faster than I remember too.
    We ended up getting rid of McAfee too, since that wasn't working correctly.

If you were scammed by geek squad review their services and
    then pick a different company. John, safepcfix, wrote me a report to give me
    credit card company to get my money back from Geek Squad. Were still fighting
    it now, but it looks good.

• 79
    7942 Feb 08, 2014

We were up for new phones. Instead of getting our phones directly from Sprint we went to Best Buy instead. We got three of the same phone, and purchased the Geek Squad service agreement for all three. Thank goodness we did, as we have had nothing but problems with two of the phones - overheating, text messages randomly auto deleting, randomly shutting down, freezing, charge portal malfunction, loss of audio and microphone, GPS not working, etc. Each time, they give you back another refurbished phone with yet another problem. Most recently, my husband just got his phone back from repair and it had not been repaired. He went back to the store and the associate refused to send it back to Geek Squad and blamed it on Sprint's network which had nothing to do with the phone malfunction. Curiously the third phone has had no issues. We believe that the other two phones were not new at all: they were refurbished phones stuck in a box to make them look new. Geek Squad either does not check their work before sending the phones back, or they don't know what they are doing. Either way, completely unacceptable. When I called to complain, I told them that I wanted the repair records for the phones. When asked why, I told them that I planned to resolve the issue through legal means. They then repeatedly transferred the call and put me on hold. I got fed up and emailed them instead. That was almost three weeks ago, they still haven't responded, and I sent them another email this morning. This is the first time that I have ever had a problem with a cell phone. The next time, I will purchase my phone front Sprint, like I have always done in the past. At least I will know that the phone will work. I will never do business with Best Buy Mobile / Geek Squad again.

• Pi
    PITTSBURGH MARK Sep 05, 2012

I agree that GEEK SQUAD is UNPROFESSIONAL. I am very upset and will never buy anything from Bestbuy again !!

I am writing you to let you know that I am very upset about the way that the GEEK SQUAD at my local BESTBY handled the repair on my MACBOOK PRO that I brought in on May 3, 2012. The laptop was still under the Black Tie protection plan which included full coverage on repairs and service. I was having an issue with my track pad curser as the curser was acting kind of strange as it was highlighting areas of a page that I was not selecting. So I figured it was not a big issue to get this repaired and that I would not have to conduct any back up of my files as this was a curser issue. Since I had brought the computer in for repairs to the screen and I did not have any issues with lost data I figured since this was a minor repair to the cursor and not the hard drive or memory I felt that there was no reason to back up any of these files. I brought my laptop to the GEEK SQUAD and explained to them what was going on and they indicated that they would check it out and that they would let me know what they find out. On Saturday May 5, 2012 I called the GEEK SQUAD to find out the status of the repair and all they said was that they were waiting for a part to come in and that it would not be very much longer. There was no mention of scrapping my computer. I called back on Monday to see if the part for the repair had come in and that is when he told me that my computer had been scrapped and that I could get a new one as soon as I could come by and pick it up. I had asked Dan why no one had called me to let me know that they decided to scrap my computer and he said that he would have to find out what had happened and I also asked him to call the repair center to request that they hold the hard drive as I had a lot of my files that I needed to save as they were ireplaceable I also offered to pay for the shipping. He told me that he would ask the manager Mike to see if they could get that to happen and that he would call me back. Dan called me back on May 8, 2012 to let me know that Mike told him that he was sorry but it was not possible to get the hard drive back as the repair center dismantles the computers that get scrapped out as soon as they get the authorization and in this case that was already done. I explained to Dan that this was not right because no one ever called me to let me know what the diagnosis was for my computer nor did they tell me that my computer was getting scrapped and if they had done so I would have told them to send it back to the store so that I can back up my files before this was done. I explained to Dan that I had well over $ 10, 000.00 in music files as well as my Pennsylvania Notary Seal in there and that was something that the state does not reissue and I used that to earn income so that has caused me to lose residual income. He indicated that at least I was getting a brand new MACBOOK PRO out of this and I replied that the new computer is worth less that the information that I had in the computer you just scrapped. When I went to BESTBUY on May 9, 2012 to pick up the replacement computer I again expressed my dissatisfaction with the fact that I was not notified prior to them scrapping my computer and all they said was that they were sorry for that. Still upset about the whole thing as BESTBUY knew that I had spent close to $ 7, 000.00 on APPLE products so I contacted Mike the store manager to talk to him regarding the loss of all of my files and that I was really upset and that I feel that they should give me something as a courtesy for my loss and all that he offered me was a measly $ 50.00 gift card and I again explained the severity of the loss and all he did was appoligize as he gave me a gift card. I contacted APPLE to let them know what happened and they were able to send me a top of the line external hard drive as a courtesy. They were the ones that suggested that I write a letter to BESTBUY Corporate to file a complaint as the GEEK SQUAD should have provided me with a diagnosis of the computer and the option to back up my files before they scrapped my computer. I have not purchased any products from BESTBUY since the incident and I am not sure if I will again as there are other electronics retailers as well as APPLE that I can buy from. I would like a reply to this email so that I can get closure to the matter. Please let me know if you have any questions. I can her reached at the phone number below

• Pi
    PITTSBURGH MARK Sep 05, 2012

GEEK SQUAD REALLY SUKS ! THEY LOST MY ENTIRE MUSIC LIBRARY WORTH $ 15, 000.00
    I WILL NEVER EVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN.

• Ts
    TSobie Jun 10, 2012

The Geek Squad (Best Buy) has had my Apple Laptop now for over a month...why? Originally the issue was that something was loose and moving around inside. This issue was repaired and returned to the store where I was told it was fixed and ready. When I went to pick it up somehow it came back from service with the LED Screen and Left side of Chassis case damaged(presumably from shipping) the attendant tried to cover it up by placing the Service order over the damage! I returned it not accepting the damage done to it. It was again sent out for service and came back with a new top case and display but, it also came back with the left hinge loose or not put on the correct way. I did not accept and again it was sent out only to be returned with the now bad RIGHT hinge and monitor damaged (buckled in the center!! I am not accepting this crap!! It states on the Service Order that the computer went in in "like new" condition (it is approximately 2yrs old, never had an issue with it other than the loose part to which the ODD was replaced) and that all HW diagnostics was passed and would be tested by Quality Assurance prior to shipment back to the store. In the meantime my oh so expensive Black Tie Warranty has expired while in the care of the Geek Squad...I have asked to where it was being shipped for repair all these times and was told it could not be revealed. I am asking for a total replacement from the Best Buy Store with the transfer of the contents free of charge. Is this an unreasonable request? It has interfered with my ability to preform my job(i.e, no access to needed info.) w/ the original issue it would not allow me to back up/copy information needed to carry out my duties in a timely manner. I would also like to initiate a complaint to Apple as to the "service" given by the Geek Squad? I need this computer back in good working order...and have no idea how to accomplish this, the Geek Squad has been unsuccessful in their attempts to remedy these issues! Don't think I will EVER be buying their extended "in-house" warranty again!!

anna k Jan 19, 2012

RIPOFF ALERT! What I was told when I bought Geek Squad coverage: "Bring it in, we'll diagnose it and get it back usually within a few days, depending on what is wrong."
    What I was told when I called today asking about Geek Squad coverage: "Bring it in, we'll diagnose it and get it back usually within a few days, depending on what is wrong."
    What REALLY happens AFTER Best Buy gets your money: You bring it in and are told by a Geek: We will look open in two weeks or more unless you give me $150.00 more just to expedite it, then we'll look at it in a week.
    That is "bait and switch, " unethical, immoral, unprofessional and so much more. I have already lodged a formal complaint with my state's Attorney General today, will post this on facebook, the [redacted], all other ripoff sites, the BBB and any other blog and media I can find to warn others of this criminal behavior.

• Pl
    Plux Nov 23, 2011

Geek squad is a joke! Before you spend hundreds of dollars on a service plan, consider the reviews on this site as the majority of them bear warning. When you bring a computer into Geek Squad without a service plan, be prepared to shell out hundreds of dollars for the "repair". If you're unlucky enough to have a service plan, be prepared to hear that your computer either has a virus, or the hard drive is bad. They will run their version of a diagnostic, which is just a prime number application the stresses the hard drive and causes it to fail. In my situation, I had to bring my i7 Quad with dual ATi 4870's in crossfire mode into Geek Squad while it was still under warranty. The machine just powered off and wouldn't come back to life. I knew it was the power supply, to which the agent agreed. Logic is, if they can't power on your machine, they can't tell you it's a virus or a hard drive issue. So, they replaced the power supply and said it was working fine and could be picked up (3 weeks later). We brought the computer home, fired it up, and everything seemed to be running fine. However, gaming was considerably slow at that point. I decided to do my own inspection of the PC and found the power supply they used as a replacement was only 500 Watts! For those of you who don't know what that means, I have 2 graphics cards. 1 of them alone requires 500 Watts MINIMUM. This isn't counting the other portions of the computer that require power such as the motherboard, drives, etc. No wonder gaming was slow, my cards didn't have power. What's more, it would be a risk to the machine to run anything that requires massive power. About three weeks ago our PC took another dive, this time it's the hard drive. Go figure. It took them a week alone just to get around to call me and ask permission to ship it off and get it fixed...wtf? I brought it to you for repair, now you had to call me for permission to repair? It's been 3 whole weeks now just to replace the hard drive. SAVE YOUR MONEY! Find a reputable PC repair shop and take your computer to them instead. Geek Squad's service plans are garbage. You might pay more out of pocket expenses, but at least you'll have a working computer and less frequent trips to the repair shop than you would with Geek Squad. Just a side note, I applied for employment with Geek Squad years back when I was fresh out of college. They told me I was "overqualified" for the job. That's comforting to know that some kid who didn't even graduate high school is going to be in charge of your valuable data.

• Ti
    TikiShades Nov 08, 2011

Huh? That last comment didn't go to the right complaint. Guess the site hiccuped. My bad.

• Ti
    TikiShades Nov 08, 2011

Anyone else find it fishy that Secure Remote Support has been "suggested" by two different complaints? That whole last paragraph read like an advertisement. :|

• He
    Heywood Jablowme Oct 23, 2011

How did they "make" you take time off from work??? No one can take advantage of you unless you let them.

• Ba
    bayegirl Oct 23, 2011

Hello Dear
    My name is Mariam and i am looking for honest partner if you are interesting please just mail me back through my email address ([email protected] )so we can know each other and from there i will send my picture to you thanks and have a nice day!
    Mariam.

Sarmani Oct 22, 2011

Do not pay the money for Geek Squad for a service contract!!! They will make you take a day off of work to "analyze the problem" and then make you take another day off of work to only tell you that the "warehouse put the wrong part on the truck and that you need to take yet another day off of work" so that they can try yet again.

I have lost more in vacation pay then I spent on this stupid warranty for my plasma tv.

• Ta
    tap725 Oct 18, 2011

We purchased a home theatre system from Best Buy, parent of Geek Squad, last week. Delivery was delayed 5 hours due to the delivery department giving the delivery company deliveries that entailed moving people's houses, it sounded like. However, to day their "experienced technician" sent to set up our whole house system, including blu ray and sound, left us with a brand new 60" TV we can't watch because the power is going through the blu-ray not the TV, so the sat dish is worthless.

To top it off, we've been on hold with their 800 number for more than an hour without a response and the local store can't do anything at all. Isn't it great that the store where they sell you the services of the Geek Squad uses the same 800 number to reach their useless technicians!

• Pe
    peaches311 Oct 16, 2011

I took my laptop to geek squad to remove a virus and back up my data to an external hard drive. I asked the young girl at the counter if I needed to purchase a hard drive, but she told me not to worry and then wrote down that she could no see any problems. She also told me I should get my laptop back by the end of week or maybe up to 2 weeks.

After 2 1/2 weeks, I get a phone call asking if I would buy an external hard drive to make the data back up easier and they would use less disks. (Again, I asked for this at drop off). A week later, I got fed up with the wait and went to pick up the laptop (finished or not). The squad said they were still having difficulty and asked if they could restore it back to factory setting. When I told him I wanted it back, he showed me how to press one button (F11) to restore. (I guess they wanted to keep it a week more just to press this button).
    Needless to say, I was upset by the over 3 1/2 week wait to fix my computer. Two weeks later, the monitor died and the computer is now more unresponsive.
    I will NOT be back and will discourage anyone from having the same experience with this company.

judith hooker Sep 20, 2011

Since 8/16/11 I've been waiting for my laptop battery.From getting two different batteries 1-wrong altogether 2-a compatible battery.These have been ordered by the so-called GEEK SQUAD.That don't known what they are doing, I don't think they known anymore than I do.From beening told to get my own and submit the bill, to beening told the ordered has been canceled for no- known reason.Ihave an extended capacity battery which is the reason I purchase the TOSHIBA Laptop.If I'd of known what POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE I'ved would never had purchase the warrnty!!!

• La
    Latoyaj Jun 19, 2011

Two years ago my father bought me a brand new HP Touchsmart for Christmas. I dunno how familiar you are with this but they're not cheap. As a precaution, he bought me a Geek Squad plan to cover it. I never planned on using it because, well, I always heard the Geek Squad horror stories. Well... I started having problems after a year.

I took my computer in and after waiting a half hour to be handled (mind you, NO ONE said a word to me, not even a "it'll be just a second"), I was told the computer would be tested and sent to a repair facility and I wiuld get it back in...THREE WEEKS! I was pissed...to say the least.

They send it back...replaced the hard drive and I lost EVERYTHING. They didn't bother to reinstall Windows for me and when I brought in my WIndows disc, it turns out the CD-ROM was damaged too.

If you look on the diagnositics sheet they give you, you'll see "testing DVD drive" is right on there...obviously they didn't do ANY tests.

So, now I have a computer but can't reinstall anything. The manager came out and had the audacity to limp her way over to me and say, "Buy a keyboard and fix it yourself." YES, you heard that right... "DO IT YOURSELF." My father paid $250 for a service plan so this rude woman could tell me to "do it yourself?"

I called a different computer repair place in Lansing (digitalctrl, they're awesome, look 'em up). They told me that the DVD-ROM drive had failed (and honestly, I'm not sure on what that means) and that I could install Windows with a USB drive (again, I had no clue what this was...I just told the tech to do it for me). He did...and now my computer, other than the DVD-ROM, works PERFECT.

NEVER GO TO BEST BUY FOR YOUR COMPUTER NEEDS. FIND AN ALTERNATIVE!! (and if you're in Lansing, there's tons of great Geek Squad alternatives like digitalctrl and Vertex).

• On
    One Pissed Consumer Jun 10, 2011

The Geek Squad CLEARLY is a horrible service to even be involved with. I have a 10 month old desktop computer that we bought from Best Buy, and it started to get a blue screen. The tower would not recognize the monitor was plugged in. Took it to the Geek Squad, they downloaded some driver to it, told me all cocky like I was supposed to know how to fix it, then gave it back to me the next day, with a Geek Sqaud start up disk in it. Being an honest and courteous consumer, I brought it back. They said "Oh alright, cool". WOW, not even a THANK YOU. The day after, it had the same screen again. So I brought it back, was told it would take 7 - 10 business days to replace the video card. Whatever. THEN, THEY LOSE THE F***IN' THING. It finds its way back, with a wiped out hard drive, and just handed to my father who was picking it up for me. I plug it all in, and it has just Windows 7, and Internet Explorer. THATS IT. So, I gather all my disks and registration cards to put my anti virus, microsoft office, etc, because I really dont feel like going back a third time. THEN MICROSOFT OFFICE DOESNT RECOGNIZE THE PRODUCT KEY I HAD. So, of course I get pissed. I call Geek Squad, they tell me call Microsoft, EVEN THOUGH they are the ones who put the Microsoft Office on the computer in the first place. THEN Microsoft tells me to call Geek Sqaud. So, after 3 hours of frustration and trying to figure it all out, I call the local Best Buy and talk to the Geek Sqaud, and I was livid. So, I expressed my anger for the situation, and yeah, maybe I dropped a few F bombs. Big deal. Not like I threatened anyone, I was just clearly fuming. The Geek Sqaud kid tells me to not sware or he will hang up on me, like he's some kind of Geek Authority... NOT the right thing to say when someone is fuming with your P.O.S. company. THAT LITTLE P.O.S. REFUSED TO HELP ME, and HUNG UP ON ME. SO... now I have to go back to the store, yell at this P.O.S., get this computer fixed, and I sware if they give me any s***, im SUING, for selling me a P.O.S. computer and not fixing it, per agreement with the Geek Squad.

• Gr
    grandsurfer Jun 04, 2011

Geek squad show a guarantee on the front of their website but when I tried to use it they IGNORE ME. Any suggestions how to get my money back.

They didnot fix my computer.

Thanks.

• Gi
    GIDoc May 29, 2011

Today I called geek squad for the first time, to see if it was worth renewing..

I was very dissappointed.

I described a simple problem relating to file associations. Powerpoint was not associated with .ppt. and clicking on a powerpoint file did not open powerpoint.

First she directed me to control panel and told me to click on add/remove programs.
    There is no add remove programs in windows 7. So I found it my self.
    She had me uninstall an older version of powerpoint...useless waiste of time.

I told her I thought the problem could be solved by going to "default programs" and using "associate files."
    She told me that Geek squad couldnt help with individual programs.

I asked her if I could speak to a supervisor. she said there was none available.
    I asked if one would call me back and gave her my phone number.

She said they would when they got out of a meeting... I guess they never got out of a meeting.

Geek squad is the biggest waiste of money in the world. I went to Google and found the answer to the problem myself. I am definately not renewing.

• Ke
    Kelly Austin May 13, 2011

100% right a very bad company to deal with, I took out insurance for my iphone, it went missing from the doorstep even before I received, this was over 2 months ago, called GEEK SQUAD for help; was put through several lengthy phone conversation, then lengthy police report followed, as they required one, week or so later called again, still 2 more long phone interviews, 2 months later, , , Nothing, was put through more stress than the actual phones worth.. just called and cancelled the policy. The customer service representatives are really abrupt and sometimes really rude, this is with the claims, but all sweet when setting up the policy to take your money for their commission; suppose they are trained in that way, to be rude when its payout time. Advice to all: KEEP AWAY!!!

• Un
    unhappyinindiana Mar 12, 2011

Have extended warranty on 50" RCA DLP TV. In 5.5 years since purchased have had 6 lamps, color wheel, power unit, DMC Module(Control Module) replaced. Latest repair-12days(Monday) ago called because problem again, was told it'll take 2 days to find service cntr. Squad called following day(Tuesday) with service cntr name & address. I waited until Thursday no word from Service Cntr. Tryed to call Secvice Cntr Friday, Saturday & Monday still no contact. Monday called Squad again-2 more days to find a different service cntr. Wedensday called Squad AGAIN- There're looking into it. Thursday called Squad AGAIN. Was told moving the issue up to a "high authority". Service cntr. finally called. Squad called back and I was told by Squad person the part was going to be overnited to service cntr. Friday no call from Tech @ Service Cntr. Called Service Cntr. he was never told part was being overnited he was told parts be there on parts Monday. 2 weeks, 5 calls to Squad, 2 to service cntr. and still no tv repair. Geek Squad service sucks, will never use it again after warranty is up. Everyone my wife & I know are being told NOT to use Best Buy or Geek Squad. They just keep lying, no one cares, after their shift in (so called)customer service they go home to a working tv

• Ae
    aejbenge Jan 01, 2011

We took our son's notebook into the geek squad because it wouldn't charge anymore. It's in warranty and we didn't think we had to do a back up, cause it's just the charging that's a problem. Without contacting us the geek squad replaced the hard drive. According to them it was faulty. Now they wanted us to get an operating system for the new hard drive. That will cost us, while it should be in warranty! The cost will be around $100 and Best Buy or the geek squad wouldn't help us with the cost. We will never buy anything from Best Buy again and definitely never ever use the geek squad!!!

Juan Sola Dec 30, 2010

DON’T WASIT YOUR TIME AND MONEY WITH THE GEEK SQUAD.
    Geek Squad have no responsibility, all they care to do is make the sale at the store and then screw the customer.
    After purchasing a Logitech remote control for our home theater system and setting installation date/time at the store everything was perfect.
    The day of the installation December 30, 2010 (I took the day off from work) I called the GS 800 number to verify the time slot that we had agreed (0800 to 1200), I was notified that my service was in a reschedule list since December 27.
    At no point the GS had the decency to contact us by either phone or e-mail. The responses I received from the GS phone Agents (idiot moppets) was basically your appointment is reschedule and that is it. I have not talked to someone who has sufficient brains to give me a reasonable explanation how this was handled out.
    After reading some of the complains listed here I see what kind of service is provided by the Geek Squad, USELESS.

• Kw
    KWS1949 Dec 22, 2010

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE YOUR ELECTRONICS TO THE GEEK SQUAD! They haven't the foggiest notion of what your problems are, much less how to fix them. When my $1200 HP suddenly died, I rushed it into the Geek Squad. After all, I purchased it from Best Buy (another story!). I have a lap top to use as a back up, so I wasn't concerned about speed. A week later I was told that, basically, my machine was dead, that it had so many problems it simply could not be repaired. That sounded fishy to me, so I took it to someone who knows a bit more about computers than I do.

"Your hard disk died, not the whole machine."

The GEEKS could not tell me that it was simply a matter of replacing the hard drive in my computer. When I returned complain, no one there could respond. Again, they didn't have a clue.

And don't bother to fill out their on-line "tell us how we did" survey. When I down graded them big time, it got kicked back to me as "undeliverable" four different times.

matlock1981 Sep 14, 2010

@gnarkill5821

WRONG!!!

YOU ARE REALLY MISINFORMED!!! "Qualifying Repair?" That's a bunch of BS! There is no such freakin' thing as "Qualifying Repair" in the world of computers! When it comes to providing a service...especially a computer repair service...no matter how many freakin' times a user brings it in...YOU DO WHATEVER THE HELL IT TAKE S TO GET THE DAMN JOB DONE! And as for Worst (Best?) Buy they don't offer that kind of professional customer service! Why? Because due to the stupid fact that an employer has to provide an Equal Opportunity of employment...who in the hell do they hire within those stupid guidelines? Some stupid "un-edumacated" high school kid or college kid that wouldn't know the first thing about a hard drive from a hard on! And what good is a Best Buy employee if he doesn't follow the rules by telling somebody that their computer isn't within the "Qualifying Repair" limits right? (thats pretty chicken sh*t) If any noble computer repair person would know they would get it resolved or fix right the first time! All the service plans that Worst Buy/Geek Squad offer for any type of electronic device is BS! These service plans are only available for the best buy employee to make money on top of the potentially expensive sale! They could care less if something wrong occurs and that you have to take it back! They already got their end out of your [censor]! So why the hell should they even bother honoring any service plan or extended warranty?!

Soooo in short gnarkill5821!...the next time you decide to take in your system into a best buy store for the 4th or 5th time think about how much the best buy employee promised you when you were about to buy a computer system in the first place! Attempting to promise you the moon but in the end didn't deliver!...Next time just use that money as toilet paper because if you are seriously thinking about just re-investing money into another system after the fact that the previous one breaks or fails...then your gonna need a lot of toilet paper to wipe up your a$$hole after you just got screwed a second time with another system..when you could have just gotten the first one repaired somewhere else probably for way less $ and not in need of buying another system!

"NO LEMON EXCHANGE."...MY BALLS!

• Te
    Termnee Aug 18, 2010

I took my computer to Geek Squad to have it upgraded. I was intending on giving it to my daughter for her school work and wanted it to be able to be used for that purpose. I needed a larger hard drive, more ram and a new video or graphics card. I told the young man when I brought it to them exactly what I needed. He asked if I had considered purchasing a new computer and started that dreaded sale pitch. I couldn’t even get a word in until his 5 minute presentation ended. I again told him what I wanted and nothing more when he told me that he was going to get me someone who could help me with that and he walked away in search of this person. I stood there for another 10-15 minutes waiting for his replacement to return. He never showed. I had to flag someone down and start the description process all over again with a new person. This took another 10 minutes of talking and 10 minutes of paperwork and finally I was able to leave the store. I called them a few days later, as instructed, to confirm that it was done before heading over. They informed me that it hadn’t been started yet because of the hard drive being out of stock. I then explained that when I dropped it off the hard drive I purchased from them was taken off the shelf while I was there. He said, “..uh, oh okay”, and put me on hold. I waited until another person got on the phone and explained there was a mix up and they’d get started on my computer right away and it could be picked up tomorrow. We agreed that I would call tomorrow before coming in and picking up the finished machine. I said okay and called back the next day. Again I was told it was not ready. I finally gave up and decided to pick it up and take it elsewhere. I called a couple of places, wasn’t happy with their prices (as high as Geek Squad and with no warranty. I was able to find a company called Secure Remote Support (secureremotesupport.com). I found them to be pleasant, informative and very cost effective considering what I had just paid for basically nothing. I logged into their remote service with the instructions of the tech over the phone (3 minutes at the most!) Everything was as I ordered. There were no up sales, no hidden fees and no excuses thankfully (don’t know how much more I could handle of that.). It was a night and day difference between the two services. So thank you Secure Remote Support for showing me the light. Geek Squad Get your stuff together, then offer customers your service….

• Gn
    gnarkill5821 Aug 13, 2010

@Onyoufeet

You are really misinformed on what they have to do to hold up their end of the deal. "Qualifying repair" to them means that the computer has to have a faulty piece of hardware replaced (Batteries, A/C adapters, and cosmetic repairs don't count). It doesn't mean every time that you bring your computer in that it counts as a repair. You need 3 qualifying repairs previous to the 4th prospective 'repair' for them to even consider doing a "NO LEMON EXCHANGE". If the exchange is approved you get a computer based on comparable specifications NOT how much money you paid for the original machine.

Soooo you are really kinda screwed for putting the money down on the service plan anyways. Next time use that money to invest in another computer when your previous one breaks.

• Kr
    kristyp Jul 22, 2010

When I bought a new Mac at Best Buy I also bought insurance which included 6 months of phone help with Geek Squad. I could not immediately get on line so I called to get help. Actually getting someone on the phone took awhile, but after the tech tried for 20 minutes or so to solve my problem he told me he would have to get a "Mac specialist" to call me back and that it would be a few minutes. An hour later I still had not received a call so I called back. I was told this "Mac specialist" had been in the office but had left and I would just have to wait until they could call me back. I asked to speak to a supervisor who apologized and informed me that it could take up to 3 days to get a call back. One week later, after fixing the problem myself, I decided to call and complain that I had NEVER gotten a call back. At this time the customer service person informed me that they DO NOT EVER make call backs and was surprised anyone told me that would happen! This person also told me they don't have "Mac specialists", they are all trained the same and have some, but very limited Mac training. I spoke to their consumer complaints department who said this would be an internal issue and they wouldn't do a thing for me, I spoke with Best Buy and let them know that they shouldn't even mention the fact that Mac users have Geek Squad help since there is none available. I will not recommend this company to anyone and will in fact talk them down every chance I get.

• Di
    DisappointedGal Jul 20, 2010

I went to Best Buy and utilized their Geek Squad services about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was told when I arrived that my computer had several viruses that needed to be removed and that I would need to purchase a data restore package if I wanted to keep the files on my computer. The gentleman who assisted me stated that I would need to "clean" each of the files on my computer and that the Geek Squad had a process to do this. This, as he explained, was the only way to free my files of any viruses. 2 1/2 weeks later, after getting countless calls that they were waiting for the data backup machine to be repaired, I finally asked to take my computer home. I was told that the data backup was only if the computer ever crashed and I needed the files. After waiting 2 1/2 weeks for my computer, I was told that all my files were still on the computer and they would offer me 50% off the data backup for the inconvenience. (Service should be free since apparently I never needed it and was tricked by a con artist). The agents at Geek Squad speak quickly and try to rush you off the phone which is a sign that they are pushing customer service aside and concerned more about how many people they can overcharge for their underdelivered service. I am so disappointed with the company. Definitely not a service or company I would recommend to others.

• Po
    Podtesja May 21, 2010

They repaired my laptop under warranty, but didnt return my power cord. What was bad is how they handled it. They say they couldn't replace the cord right away, which was not true - they could have given me a universal one on the spot. They said they would do an escalation to get it from the warehouse, but after 5 days I heard nothing back so I called. The guy said, Oh I'll just give you one tonight if you come in - not very apologetic. Then I told the manager when I came in that customer service was bad and that I was going to write a bad review online. he said, oh well if you are going to threaten me then I wont give you the universal cord now, I'll just make you wait till it comes back from the warehouse. I said I didn't threaten him, I was just telling him I was going to write a bad review. Then he told me again that if I threaten him he wouldn't give me the cord. I said just give me the cord and I'll leave. he gave it to me. Wow, Best buy had bad service. I had big problems with the appliance department as well.

• Ji
    Jijo George Apr 21, 2010

"Geek Squad actually ruined my brand new lap top! When I took the problem back to them they were rude. I wish Best Buy would stop associating with them" That is true I had the same problem please do not go to this
    Geek Squad