Menu
ADVERTISIMENT
Home Home Insurance / Warranty First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection Home warranty
R
Author of the complaint
8:18 pm EST
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In August 2009, I called First American Home Warranty regarding my air conditioner, which had gone out. That is when this nightmare began.

Every time you call First American Home Warranty, you are on hold for awhile and you listen to how First American "screens their vendors", selects only the vendors that meet their "Strict" requirements, how the "vendors are put on probation", and how First Am "calls the homeowner to ensure that the homeowner is satisfied with the vendor they send". Unfortunately for me, I actually believed all this. But nothing could be further from the truth.

First American sent a company named "Authorized Service Center" to my home. "Authorized Service Center" said the air conditioner needed replacing and told me that First American would authorize around $800 toward the cost. I needed a new Central heat/air, so since I knew FirstAm only did business with vendors who were "screened, on probation and approved by homeowners", I paid "Authorized Service Center" over $5, 000 to replace my central air/heat. The new a/c stopped working after a week or so. We called “Authorized Service Center”, they came out to fix it, it would work for an hour or two, go out again, we'd call again, etc., for a total of 6 times they came out to my home. "Authorized Service Center" let us swelter for an entire weekend and several days and evenings and were not at all concerned that I had paid them $5200 and had no a/c. I simply had to wait my turn. During all this, I also placed several calls to First American appealing to them for their help with this but each time, I was told there was nothing they would do. They did not care that their "approved" vendor was giving me a royal rip off. It was finally fixed in the 3rd week of September.

Unfortunately, the nightmare has reoccurred. Now that it's getting cold in Texas, I turn on my supposedly brand new heater, and we have no heat. I call FirstAm and they want to send this "Authorized Service Center" out AGAIN! And they want me to pay another $60 to the company that could care less that I had no a/c after they received $5000+ of my hard-earned money and had to come out 6 times to finally get the a/c working. To the company that should have installed it correctly back in August/September.

It goes without saying...I do not want to do business with "Authorized Service Center". I am not now nor have I ever been satisfied with anything they have done. In August, when I asked to speak to the owner, I was told he was not there on more than one occasion. I cannot understand why First American is doing business with a company like this. I am filing separate complaints on "Authorized Service Center". Is it that hard to get vendors for home warranty?

I told First American Home Warranty that I do not want "Authorized Service Center" to come back out to my home. First Am Home Warranty tells me that since I have not "filed a formal complaint" against that company, that is who they are sending. I guess many many phone calls to them informing them of the fact that I have paid $5200 for no air conditioning and asking for their help with their vendor does not count as a formal complaint? (Each time I called I had to suffer through that recording that says how much they CARE about their customers.) So I asked to speak to a supervisor and I spoke to Kathy Cotton in Van Nuys, California. I explained the situation and told her I have complained about this "company" numerous times back in August and September and asked her "What does it take to "file a formal complaint" against a company you have already complained about numerous times? I was not informed by anyone at FirstAm to do that or that I even could do that. She said that she would send another company and that I would need to pay $60 for the service call. This is what I object to. I do not feel I should have to pay for something that should have been done correctly back in August by a vendor sent to my home by First American.

So now I take it to the corporate level. I just finished speaking with someone named Nahun in Dan Langston's office. A more cold and unfeeling and unbudging person I have never spoken with. He was even worse than the others. An expert on telling you how wrong you are. Very adept at not feeling any of your pain. Good job Nahun! You're just another in a long line of First Am's that don't give a flying leap about your customers.

Does it surprise anyone that Dan Langston does not call? Even if he did, he's probably just as unsympathetic.

FirstAm, their "vendor screening/probation program" is bunk and at least one of their vendors is unscrupulous. Is American Home Shield any better? I see now that First American has loads of consumer complaints about it. How do companies like this stay in business? I will be contacting the local news stations about this as well.

As far as this awful company "Authorized Service Center", a street address for them cannot be located, but I believe they are in Garland. I live in Fort Worth. It would seem that if FirstAm had this huge network of vendors, a company a little closer could be found!

I am sooooo done with FirstAm. Everyone in the org is cold and unfeeling -- not one ounce of human compassion anywhere in the company. I would hate to work at a company whose corporate culture is to be cold and unfeeling towards their customers and tells their customers if you don't like it, cancel your contract. Which is what I have done. Pitiful. Just pitiful.

ADVERTISIMENT

More First American Home Warranty / First American Home Buyers Protection complaints & reviews

15 comments
May 11, 2022 10:01 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On January 6th, 2022, I placed a repair call to First American Home Warranty for a broken dishwasher and refrigerator. It took 1st American 2 weeks to send a vendor out, by the named of V-Tec. The guy showed up and did a quick inspection and said, he needed to order parts for both appliances. He said I would hear back from V-Tec or 1st American in a few days regarding when the parts should arrive. After nearly 3 weeks and no calls from either, I called 1st American and explained that I had been waiting approximately 1 1/2 months to get my appliances serviced! I was told that they had not heard from V-Tec yet regarding my repairs. WTF? It took 1st American another 4 days to track down V-Tec repairman to get his report. It then took another 3 weeks to locate the parts. Long story short, after waiting (3 Freaking Months, V-TEC finally repaired my appliances, only to have both break down again in less than 2 weeks! Can you believe that Crap? I called 1st American Warranty one day before my contract expired, and told them I needed my appliances re-serviced again. Long story short, it's been nearly 4 months and our appliances are still not repaired! Bottom line, I decided not to renew my contract with 1st American Warranty and would only recommend them to people who like waiting 4 months to get their appliances repaired. Avoid 1st American Home Warranty at all cost, or you'll be sorry you didn't! Jelani V.

Jan 09, 2022 1:07 pm EST

can anyone post their contract i am sending a certified letter this week. and i was told they are sending me contract . never got it. this would be
one from 2021

Jan 09, 2022 12:55 pm EST

i need to know how complaint boards can help me i am one stop away from suing this company

Jan 09, 2022 12:54 pm EST

if i submit my complaint here what does complaints board to i am one step away from suing

L
Oct 28, 2021 12:51 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

The ice maker is bad and the First American Home Warranty has kept saying back order over and over again for more than one month. Never buy Frist American Home Warranty which is a terrible company. I am so frustrated and disappointed.

S
Jun 14, 2021 9:01 pm EDT

Wow, wish I would have read these reviews when I bought my house. I have no a/c and vendor cannot come out for a week in the middle of a heat advisory in Chandler AZ 117-120 degrees. Horrible. Electrical work keeps tripping and going to cause a fire, you think they actually give a [censored]? They are not responsible for anything. I can't even get ahold of someone to cancel my policy so I will stop payment on them.

N
Jul 19, 2019 6:40 pm EDT

One more customer complaint, only this one is for numerous complaints having different contract/addresses and several different repairs--my refrigerator, an air conditioner and a simple kitchen hot water dispenser. The refrigerator took over a month to fix; the AC 3 weeks, and the hot water dispenser is going on a month with 3 contractors assigned and almost impossible to book an appointment! The contractors all seem to be small one person companies. The First American customer service is a delayed non-service at best, both by phone and on-line. I'm an old man now and have used a number of warranty companies over the years. The recent series of experiences with First American (2019) have been the most frustrating, irritating, negative experiences during my whole life. Never again! I worked in real estate for many years and used to believe that First American Title was a professional, top notch company. Not now!

May 24, 2017 11:05 am EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I wish I could have put NO stars - AC broke down. Sent a repair man who said my ducts were dirty. He didn't have any tools, didn't know how to work the thermostat. Recommended a $400 duct cleaning. FAHW calls to tell me that is maintenance and they will not cover it. I request a 2nd opinion with a service tech who has tools. They refuse citing dirty ducts. I pay $200 out of pocket for repair - not dirty ducts BTW. I send them both service write-ups. They read the one that says dirty ducts and again tell me they won't pay. I explained they were reading their service providers write-up and the document has two pages. Now they will not speak to me. Look at Better Business Page - thousands of complaints. DO NOT BUY A WARRANTY FROM THIS COMPANY!
It's my understanding they find companies who are willing to accept low payments for work completed.

Jan 24, 2017 11:04 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We got a home warranty when we purchased our home with First American. Our heater broke on 12/12/16, the repair person came out a week later and said that they couldn't get parts for this old of a unit and need to be replaced. 5 weeks later 5 visits form the service company we still are fighting to get heat! You cant talk to anyone that will get the job done, First American must have classes for their employees on how to not service the customer. We have had Old Republic home warranties for other homes and they have done a great job, First American is a rip off and I wish I would have insisted on Old Republic when we purchased this home.

C
Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm EST

I completely agree! I'm absolutely appalled with them! Our air broke June 14, 2015, and when we made the claim, they tried to avoid fixing it! They sent 4 companies out waiting on the easiest fix. Our house was over 95 degrees inside with our dogs and cats. They finally half way fixed it on July 29, 2015. They were told by multiple companies it needed to be replaced, but they just put a bandaid on it. We have gone through 4 "case managers" with no real customer service. My husband asked Brian, the supervisor, if the home warranty company was just trying to rig it together, Brian the supervisor, said yes. We both couldn't believe he actually said that! My husband asked him again, are you seriously telling me you're trying to rig it together, and Brian the supervisor said yes again. Then one case manager said it was approved to be replaced, but here we are January 14, 2016, and still nothing. We have gotten a lawyer involved and everything. We were told it was being replaced. Our current case manager refuses to contact us back for the past 3 months. We have called, e-mailed, and sent letters!

Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

What is the lawyer able to do, I am at a point to were I'm about to lawyer up myself. I am getting the same run around as you are.

H
Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm EST

I live in California in Central Valley. I wish to file a complaint against First American Home Warranty and their vendor Garcia Air conditioning and heating. I have rented the home out to my grandchild, who has special needs, and her paternal grandparents. Both entities are completely unprofessional and lack any knowledge of the heating system that has failed. I have gone out of the system to get heater repaired. Please give a call [protected] to discuss further details.

C
Aug 08, 2014 5:30 pm EDT

First American Home Warranty is a SCAM. I agree with every review and comments posted here by other disappointed customers. My honest advice is CANEL YOUR CONTRACT NOW. You will come out ahead and it is never too latee. Heer iis my story:

My air-conditioner stopped working. Issue was reported to FAHW on Aug 1. It is now Aug 8 and issue is still not resolved. Mid-summer, > 84F inside the house with two kids. After more than 10 phone calls to FAHW (with average waiting time of over 1 hour) and the assigned contractor, a technician came over on Aug 3.

Technician said: 1) compressor is bad, needs to be replaced. 2) He will provide compressor info to FAHW who will order the replacement part. He is not allowed by FAHW to procure it directly. 3) Replacement part will be delivered in 4 days.

I made subsequent follow-up phone calls to contractor. On Aug 5 contractor informed me that FAHW has ordered the part and that he will come over to replace it on Aug.8. However, I must pay $125 for the service. My contract with FAHW states that I need to pay only $65 for each service issue.

The contractor did not offer up any explanation as to why I had to pay more than the agreed contract price other than "FAHW did not cover all the costs". Contacting FAHW again meant that I made several calls again (with an average waiting time of more than an hour each). Once I got through on Aug.7, the FAHW rep told me that "the order for the part had not been processed yet". Also, the rep was not sure why the assigned contractor was charging me $125.

Needless to say it was another fruitless and frustrating call with FAHW. I am not able to get a straight answer from anyone on when the part will be replaced and why am I being asked to pay $125.What kind of warranty service is this?

Also, since my experience so far is terrible my trust level with FAHW is zero (if anyone at FAHW is listening). I wanted to ensure that the replacement compressor being procured is new, equivalent in quality and specification to the one that went bad. No one from FAHW responded to this request.

I have been a customer with FAHW for over a year and have never had to use their services but the one time I did need them (this is my first claim), they disappointed and so terribly too.

I am in the process of cancelling my contract and I advice you do the same - RIGHT NOW. You will be a happier person.

Aug 06, 2014 7:25 pm EDT

We have been with out air conditioning in Midland, Tx since late May! We have been through three a/c repair companies which seem to be as fraudulent as the warranty company. The company is excellent at telling you what the won't cover but won't move on anything they claim they cover. I am placing a formal complaint with the Texas Real Estate Commission and moving forward with arbitration. The unit is 45 yrs old and they only want to pach and pay for 1/2 the labor. Same telephone experience...on hold for hours, often disconnected at the 50 minute mark, nothing gets resolved rather bumped til the next day. Extreme fraud! The entire summer w/o a/c in Texas!

N
May 26, 2010 1:29 pm EDT

Uh-oh. I also live in Ft. Worth and have spent the last 6 days trying to get someone from Authorized Service Centers to return my call for A/C repair. We have First American Home Warranty and that is who they are sending to our house. Supposedly they are coming tomorrow.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

119 complaints