Excelsior CollegeCPNE

C

CPNE is unreasonable, failure rate is high and they seem to be out to fail everybody. They are out to make money only. Please join group CPNE Unreasonable to file grievance. Or contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com.

• Ta
    Taoco Sep 04, 2015

Many students in this forum complaint about CPNE failures.

If you believe that Excelsior College has committed fraud or deception, file your complaint with New York's Attorney General Office. You can file your complaint online.

My advice to anyone planning to take CPNE in the future, wear a good unobtrusive body camera while you are taking the exam.

Do not allow any college to rip you off with a simple clinical exam.

Contact me if you have any question, [email protected]

choban Mar 05, 2014

Suit in progress and is filed. Send me Email if interested in joining us. Funny how people are asked to get on a complaint board to contradict any time there is a complaint. Thanks Celeste [email protected]

• Ry
    Ryu Hyabusa Mar 04, 2014

I just passed my CPNE. Failed my first time. I made a stupid minute error my first time. It's a necessity to have a high failure rate on the CPNE. Some think it's simply a nursing competency. I tested with 5 others and 3 of them were ###s. Thank goodness they weeded them out by day three. If you prepare properly you will pass. If you half ### it, you will fail. Anyone can take simple, multiple choice tests online. Doesn't mean you should be a nurse though. The CPNE is a necessary evil that separates the cream of the crop from the half wits.

Marla13 Nov 01, 2013

This school is a scam...one's whole degree is based on the pass/fail of a single exam after paying the school tons of money and wasting a ton of time studying for all of the former exams...absolutely horrible!!!

• Pr
    Proud-Excelsior-Grad-2011 Apr 02, 2013

I passed CPNE on my first attempt. The first time pass rate is about 65% or so. However, like other successful CPNE test takers i studied for months. I had about 3 1/2 years LPN experience in LTC. I had no hospital experience at all! I too was nervous the weekend of CPNE. I slept about 5 hours the entire weekend and ate very little. Please do not let the above post change your mind about Excelsior College. CPNE is difficult but it is doable. Whatever you put in this program you wil get out.

• Im
    imashepherdgirl Dec 05, 2012

Robin RN is probably paid by Excelsior...seems they have a lot of plants on this site. Anyone interested in a class action I'm in. I think the CE"s are paid for the weekend and purposely fail the students because they can have Sunday off. They also make comments like "some people think this is the easy way out". Lets find out what goes on behind the scenes and get stuff to the surface...a lawsuit will do just this!!! it is time and I want my money back!!!

• Ro
    RobinRN Sep 24, 2012

As a seasoned LPN and now RN from traditional programs, I would think all of the "little things" do matter as this brief clinical display of skills represents the 700 or so hours required by traditional programs. I have taken courses thru Excelsior for a certificate r/t Health Care Management and found them wonderful learning experiences.

choban Jul 28, 2012

Totally agree. Please see the previous comments and join my board to add you to the list of people how are getting together for a suit. Thank you Celeste...

• Sl
    S.L.B. Jul 18, 2012

Excelsior CPNE is the biggest farce that higher education has seen. This is not a learning program in the least. This is a test of unrealistic perfection and subjective criticism. No experienced clinical nurse can ever be as perfect as the Excelsior examiners expect. But the examiners are allowed to make wrong patient scans, incorrect med. scans, and hold cell phone conversations while judging your competence. I did pass my 2nd time, but only because I stood up for myself with the examiner and CE. There was 9 LPN's that started the CPNE in Chambersburg and I am the only one who passed. That in and of it self speaks volumes. Any program with that kind of pass/fail rate should be examining itself, not failing all of the students and continuing to take their money and time. One of the LPN's who failed for her 3rd CPNE now has to begin another RN program with NONE of her earned credits from Excelsior transferring, no other programs in South Eastern PA will accept any of her credits. A class action suit is probably warranted along with a state board of nursing investigation.

• Da
    DawnAnnette Jun 23, 2012

completely agree and I am looking into a lawsuit at this time. I don't even know where to begin. I failed at Albany for dumb reasons nothing that reflects nursing skills or knowledge. I graduated with the second highest grade from LPN school. After failing CPNE, I decided not to give Excelsior another penny. The thing about the CPNE is that it is ridiculously easy for an intelligent seasoned LPN, but so easy to fail because they judge on minor things that aren't related to nursing knowledge or skills. You basically just have to take CPNE workshop and study study guide and do exactly what they tell you to do. There was a man that passed CPNE that was an army medic twenty years prior and admitted to us that he hadn't had any clinical experience since. There was another young man that worked in an family MD's office as a medical assistant. He answered phones, filed and took vitals...he passed CPNE. I can't believe that some states are allowing these people to become nurses with no clinical experience. California is the only state that sees Excelsior nursing for what it is. Anyway, my first lab was the IV drip. I completed everything and the CE told me she had to get the CA. The CE told CA that I did everything right but my drip calculation was wrong. It just so happens that I have BS degree and had studied math for a while so I was 100% positive that my drip factor was correct. I showed my calculations to CA and she said it appeared correct but they had a different answer. I continued to defend my answer. Finally after about 5 minutes, they realized they were looking at the answer to the wrong question and I passed that lab. I wrote a letter to the dean informing her of what occurred, because I'm sure people have failed CPNE because the CE & CA said drip was wrong. I think a class action lawsuit would be just because there are A LOT of stories out there of shady actions on the part of the CEs and CAs. My friend had a CE that was on her cell phone most of the time during the PCS and looked at her VS and told her that there was no need for her to do a second set! She passed. If I had a CE that did that for me, I would have passed as well. My friend is willing to testify. I have more stories too. Everyone should start talking with lawyers and we should stay in touch. I an also going to protest accreditation of Excelsior nursing because not everyone passing this program has proper clinical experience and it endangers peoples lives.

NotDonald Apr 05, 2011

The failure rate of the clinicals is without A question way too high for this program. I have tried to find another school with a failure rate of 35% in the clinical area so far no other school even comes close !

• Ex
    Excelsior CPNE Mar 22, 2011

I have had people ask about the Excelsior College RN program and I do not recommend it. I know a few people who have gotten their RN through the program. Three years and $15, 000. later I had nothing but a bad attitude and broken heart. The monster three day clinical exam at the end was the worst experience of my life. I took the exam 3 times and could not pass. This was not for lack of studying as I passed sections of the exam each time. I just couldn't get through the stressful three days and be perfect, which is what it requires. The pressure is enormous. There is the huge expense and everything is timed. Then there is the slightest tolerance for error. The first time through, after the labs on Friday night I had a sleepless night with severe palpitations. I am amazed that I didn't have an MI. My hands shook so hard I could barely hold anything, let alone give some kind of injection or timed IV infusion. I tried a couple of medications during the next two tries to control my performance anxiety. The whole experience was making me a drug attic. I'm the time of person who hates to take an aspirin. I would estimate that every time they test 8 students, 1 or 2 pass. It is a very low percentage. As I said, I do know people who have passed but this is not for everyone. Save your money. Take the time to go through a standard program and have that piece of paper (diploma) at the end. I wasted so much money and time. The other thing is that none of the nursing courses can be applied to standard programs as they do their clinicals every semester so none of the curriculums match up. I would love to hear from others who gave it their all and could not pass. I once saw a saying, you only fail when you stop trying. I stopped when they made me. I requested the opportunity to try it a fourth time as I have severe performance anxiety and was denied.

• Do
    Donald J. Mar 02, 2011

Celeste - you are absolutely, without a doubt, a complete and utter ###. I have no desire to call or e-mail you. Even if I did, it would not be harassment, and certainly wouldn't be a federal case. I get plenty of entertainment from reading your ignorant posts here, so don't worry your feeble little mind about that. Good luck with your "suite". (pssst.. it's "suit") LOL

choban Mar 02, 2011

Agree with your assessment. We have started a suite. Please call me, contact me, at [protected] / or [email protected] We have to communicate in person as Donald J is affiliated with them and communicates with them, he also does not understand the "Complaint board" concept and continues to harrass us. Respectfully, Celeste. PS Donald J you may not contact me either by phone or E-mail. If you do I will press charges as a Federal Evaluator for harrassment. You have been warned that this would constitute a federal offense.

• Sc
    scammed by excelsior Mar 01, 2011

Once again Excelsior has ripped off many more people!! I just came back from testing in Wisconsin. Please, for anyone that hasnt taken the CPNE yet, don't waste your money!!! ITS REALLY A MONEY SCAM!!! Out of 6 students, 5 failed. 1 that failed was there for the 2nd time. I studied day and night, knew it backward and forward, took the Excelsior Workshop that they speak so highly of. I passed both of my PCS's. I was doing the wound packing lab simulation and was donning my sterile gloves. Making very sure I took my time and being careful of my surrounding I applied them. I stuck my fingers inside the cuff and carefully applied, then the CE asked me to stop. She said I touched both fingers of each hand to both wrists. I actually laughed. No way, my fingers were no where near my wrists. She was sitting at the other end of a long table, slouched down in a chair. She was not up standing where she could have even seen anything. She would have had to be on the opposite side of the table to see what she "claims" to see OR in front of me. I explained the position of myself and the CE to the CA. The CA continued to ask her 5x's if she was "sure". oh but she was "sure" she saw. Of course my word meant nothing. Now after test fee, air fare, hotel, $3800 later...no RN ... As for the others ..they all failed on small bogus things..alcohol wipe, taking b/p over hospital gown sleeve
    . And yes, the CEs all made mistakes. But for the students, your expected to be 100% perfect. Thing is ..people arent perfect. I don't think 1 small thing should fail you.

• To
    Torva Mu Feb 05, 2011

==Warning==
    Nursing program considered a scam by many. Nursing program final (CPNE) sets the student up for failure, high stress and embarrassment. Unacceptable failure rates, about 30% of 1st and 30% of 2nd time atempts at CPNE final fail. CPNE final costs $2, 025 and any 1 mistake made may fail the entire CPNE and no refund. High failure rates equal big profits for Excelsior College.

Some States do not approve their nursing program and will not issue an RN license to Excelsior College graduates because: Excelsior's nursing program does not meet minimum State RN board standards. CA is one of the States that will not. See www.rn.ca.gov/whatsnew.shtml (last paragragh) and www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/forms/excelsiorcourtdecision.pdf and www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/forms/excelsiornewsrelease.pdf . So check with your State board of nursing before you enroll.

See www.complaintsboard.com, and search CPNE or Excelsior College. Here you will find over a hundred complaints from Excelsior College students. Consider these warnings before you enroll. A traditional college or technical school may be a safer choice.

Special note for Donald J.

Donald J.,
    you're either an idiot or a payed Excelsior employee. Because, no one in their right mind would continually come here and respond to other peoples complaints in support Excelsior College unless they were paid to do so.

So, Donald J, which are you? Idiot or payed Excelsior College employee?

• Do
    Donald J. Nov 14, 2010

What a joke. You failed. Take responsibility and accountability. EC gives you very specific criteria for passing the CPNE. If you follow the guidelines, you will pass. If you don't follow the guidelines, you will go on the internet and cry like a baby about how EC is out to fail you when, in fact, you failed yourself.