Everest Online UniversityEverest Takes Advantage of Students and Employes

I’ve been working for this school for almost five years and I no longer have the energy to waste fighting for a useless cause. I care about the quality of the company and the work I do, but I feel my hands are bound. I talk to many people at this company and I know many of my peers feel the same way.
From the beginning of my employment, I have been witness to a myriad of problems, issues, inconsistencies and disorganization. I have diligently tried to be a part of the solution by communicating with management, providing examples and suggesting alternative methodology, but to no avail. Of course, this company has made its lion’s share in changes, but it is the rare case when one actually results in progress. Is this the price that is paid when politics win over logic?
Our management is oversized and incompetent in a multitude of ways. There are many who have no experience in Education and are not properly trained. This results in a mistake-saturated process of “learn as you go” in which then groups of employees suffer or are misguided, compounding the effect tenfold. We have managers who may have experience, but are sorely lacking in the basic qualifications needed for good leadership. A true leader should be able to effectively communicate, sincerely listen, welcome new ideas/suggestions and should be present. Self-serving, insecure, arrogant and/or immature individuals do not make good leaders, nor do the “glorified rep” managers who only end up being corporate tools.
The training and tools employees are given are poor at best. For example, the training I’ve received over multiple positions and the years has never been adequate or thorough. Most of my training has been generalized, ambiguous, and underdeveloped. I use programs I’ve never had training on, and for CampusVue I wasted a week learning how to process financial aid even though I am in Student Accounts and do not process financial aid (I think the actual Student Accounts ‘training’ lasted about 30 minutes). In most of the positions I’ve held, I’ve had to rely heavily on IFAP regulations. I recall years ago when I first started I was stationed at a computer for a week to go through an IFAP module, but I have yet to receive training or even a reference that actually interprets these regulations along with school policy in a applicable manner. I can take a handful of my peers and ask them about a policy or procedure, and I will get a handful of answers. Despite my efforts to communicate to management over the years how desperately a fundamental training is needed, I am replied to with a “duly noted” but the issue is never addressed. Generally, what employees are left with are undefined processes and procedures, policies that are not enforced or implemented in a consistent manner, and a lack of confidence that they are doing their jobs correctly. There is a gross lack of communication between departments, and between corporate and campus. The result is a failed attempt at cross-functionality in which the left hand never understands what it or the right is doing.
Overall we have a company which had a real opportunity for innovation but has instead resigned itself to the trappings of a typical corporation – one that shouts from the top of the mountain its dedication to its employees and customers, but whose every move reeks of the bottom line. A company whose decisions are made by people far removed and out of touch from the reality of events in the trenches. Rather this company environment seems geared toward management/stockholder bonuses and compensation, while the majority are given poor tools and training, questionable management, unrealistic goals, infrequent rewards and unfair compensation.
There is a greater shame in all of this beyond the obvious. I have talked to so many of my peers who are frustrated, stressed and unhappy; yet so many of them give so much of themselves to this company anyway. These are people who are in those trenches everyday who have a real insight into what works and what doesn’t. They should be consulted, listened to eagerly, appreciated fully and highly regarded in every move this company makes. My wish for all of them is that one day this is realized and acted upon, replacing the stream of empty promises and lip service. They deserve better. “Do the Right Thing” this company bellows…well, lead by example I bellow back.
I may not be the most eloquent writer, but I hope my points have been made. Do not kid yourselves into thinking that I am one disgruntled employee or that the issues reside in my department only – it is only the tip of the iceberg. When you review your employee survey, do not insult your employees by acting like a raise from 25% satisfaction to 27% is a real accomplishment, but instead address the reality that ONLY 27% are satisfied.
With the utmost concern for my well-being and sanity, I bid you all adieu and good luck, with sincere wishes that you are able to retain yours.

• He
    Heidi O Nov 17, 2011

This sentence of yours is the most telling about your situation.
    " this company environment seems geared toward management/stockholder bonuses and compensation"

Would you expect any publicly traded for profit company to act any different? They don't, they have a responsibility to their shareholders to make as much profit as possible. The degree to which making a profit for shareholders is their obligation is best demonstrated by a lawsuit filed against Henry Ford by his shareholders. Henry Ford started to cut retail prices on the Model-T and Model-A Ford models to make them more affordable for the public. This resulted in more cars being sold but for less overall profit if he would have kept prices the same and maintained the then current sales rates.

Guess What? The shareholders won, and he was not allowed to reduce the prices BECAUSE A PUBLICLY TRADED FOR-PROFIT COMPANY HAS A DUTY TO MAXIMIZE PROFITS FOR ITS SHAREHOLDERS. The industry segment makes no difference if it is housing, automotive, education, or healthcare. Welcome to American Capitalism.