Emusicfree downloads, billed anyway

L

My son received an mp3 player fro Christimas and inside was a free coupon for emusic. Free downloads. In order to ensure you haven't received your downloads you must provide a cc number. You will not be billed. I was. They say I enrolled in their monthly service. I was not sent any emails. I saw the charge from feb on my march bill and called them. They have a NO RETURN POLICY. So watch out. I was charged for Feb and March. 11.99 each month. First bill it was on was my March cc statement. Called the company and talked with Jared. He did give me one month back( still waiting to see if he actually does.) He also stated he canceled my acct. Called my cc company and they will check into it. But will have to see what happens.

• Mo
    Montana9 May 31, 2011

The best thing to do is cancel the cc and have your bank to send you another one. I explained to my bank about the unauthroized charges and this is what they advised me to do. The bank said that this happens all the time and the best solution is to issue a new credit card.

• Jw
    j whitcomb Dec 05, 2010

I was offered 380 free downloads when i purchased my netgear wireless router. It was enclosed in the packet. I attempted to download the music and was unsuccessful. My credit card has been charged on 12/3 11.99, 11.00.10.00.5.oo, 4, oo and now there are pending charges for the 5th. It gives instructions t download in itunes as this is my sole media player. The downloads never were successful and I have no idea what the additional charges are for. I want to cancel any future billing and services and either obtain instruction on download or obtain credit for product that was not downloaded.

• Ry
    Ryandb3 Jul 24, 2010

Just an fyi for everyone thinking about a free trial of emusic, either music or audiobooks. Below is a response from eMusic about their "free" trial. If at any point during your trial you click to download something that you don't have credit for you are automatically upgraded and billed for a membership. No confirmation screen (which they mention but was not displayed when I clicked on the audiobook download link), no notification. Their response does a good job showing how little they care about their customers. I had not downloaded the audiobook yet and I wanted them to refund the subscription amount.

________
    Please note that the free trial account is for a limited number of downloads and for a limited time period. You are required to download the free tracks within the free trial period, before the account transitions to a paid membership plan. If the total number of free credits are exceeded during the free trial period, the account will automatically transition into a paid membership plan. This information was included in our Terms Of Use and on the confirmation page which appeared when the account was registered.

Unfortunately we are not able to issue you a refund for charges incurred during your membership. Per Section 6 of eMusic’s Terms of Use which you agreed to when you registered for your account, all charges made during the subscription period are nonrefundable.
    ________

Jake Jun 15, 2010

So I went to Staples to get some supplies and I stopped by the gift card rack. I wanted an ITunes card but I really didn't want to pay $0.99 a song. But I saw this gift card for Emusic $15 and you get 30 song I read the back and it was the real deal so I went ahead and bought it.

Then when I got home I got on my laptop and proceeded to their website to look at the music they had. I was in for a rude surprise! The music wasn't sung by the real artists but by Individual artists! I was very angry. I then proceeded in calling Staples Customer Care. They said to call the store manager and she said she couldn't do anything and to call Emusic directly.

When I had called them after searching for a half an hour on their website for a phone number I was on hold for over 20 minutes. When I finally got on the phone with someone I was greeted by a "WHAT DO YOU WANT". There was their first mistake. At that point I was ticked off from that greeting but I bit my tongue and continued. I explained the problem and see said "NO REFUNDS". After I had told her (Who did not speak good English) That I did not know it would be by individual artists and not the real ones see then said "YOU SHOULD DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY". We then hung up.

I then filed a report with the BBB of Greater New York. I then called them back and got no where with that I filed a report with the FTC too. After many more phone calls I finally called Staples Corporate and told the secretary of the CEO of staples the situation and she sent me a $15 certificate that could be used at any Staples store.

I will never even think of dealing with Emusic again. They are crooks and should not be trusted.

A NOTE: I had looked this up online and many people were in the same position as I was but some who signed up for the free trial for Emusic were having unauthorized charges on their Credit Card by Emusic ex. $110.97, 52.32, 22.45. my suggestion is not to deal with them at all. Stay away form Emusic!

• Pi
    Pinball2k Oct 31, 2009

I have been an eMusic subscriber for about 5 years. I canceled today due to their aggressive posture. My Subscription expires on November 3rd but they unilaterally decided I needed an more expensive 6 month plan and billed my credit card. I got no email notice or gave them no authorization to do so. I called yesterday to cancel and demanded a refund. They would not refund without "review by senior management". This is absurd and probably illegal. Watch them like a hawk.

Janelle Diters Sep 19, 2009

eMusic
    244 5th Avenue
    Suite 2070
    New York, NY 10001
    [protected]

Got a card with my Coby mp3 player that said i could download 50 free songs. After 31 i pop up said i had to pay more to get the rest of the downloads. when i email [email protected]', they said i had to wait for the next billing cycle to get the rest of the downloads or pay $4. ...This is clearly false and misleading advertising!!!

Additionally. when i call CS, they thier syste gave opetions and then said they were unavailable options

Email evidance:

Hello:

Thank you for contacting eMusic Customer Support.

Our records show that an account with the e-mail address [email protected] has used up all 50 free trial downloads and as well as 24 subscription downloads. The message you are seeing is probably asking you if you want to upgrade your account, so you can continue to download instead of waiting for the next billing cycle.

Your friends at eMusic

Phillip - Regards

eMusic Customer Service

--- Original Message ---
    From: Janelle Diters <[email protected]>
    Received: 9/19/09 4:27:53 PM EDT
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: ????

I trid calling your system with n;o luck...it seems to be malfunctioning.

I bought a Coby mp3player yesterday and was able to download 35 of
    the 50 songs promised but thats all. the system wnat to charge me to
    download anymore?

Also chated but that person insisted on useing an old emial.

444 N. El Camino Real #4, Encinitas CA 92024
    [email protected] gmail.com

• Me
    melissa Reed Jul 30, 2009

I got a free 50 songoffer with my wireless router. I went on Website to check out the offer n I got off the website. I went on the website that was on the offer coupon. I find out 5 days later that on the day I wenton the website it chrged me for a subscription. I didnt fill any forms or put any information onwebsite, except to authorize that I was 18. Thats what it said it needed my CC# for. It charged me $15.89. and the charge of cource went in when I had nomoney inthe account so Now I have 2 charges for overdraft of $35 each, It cost me $85.89 so far. I cancelled the subscription but i didnt open one in the first place. Now I may have to cancel my checking account andopen a new one just forlookin at a free offer coupon. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Za
    Zapp Jun 04, 2009

You over-downloaded or you let your subscription roll.

Emusic works on a monthly basis - every month you are billed and you get your set number of downloads for that month. If you don't use them they will disappear.

If you sign up for the trial and download too many tracks, you will be billed. If you sign up for the trial and do not cancel, you will be billed.

They offer music by primarily smaller labels and independent artists. You will not find much Top 40 music on Emusic. A lot of us like it that way.

Next time read the terms before you sign up for something with a credit card.

• Ca
    carol thompson May 21, 2009

my daughter bought a 20.00 dollar mp3 player for my grandaughters birthday. it had a paper from emusic for 50 free downloads in the package with it, she asked me to download the music for her so it would be on it when she was given her present.I went into thier web site to do this, it wanted c c info before it will let you even see what music they have, I found none, thier music is not by original artists, and before i got off thier web site i had already been charged 14.99 they are crooked, very much so! If anyone is smart dont trust them.

• Lo
    looks Apr 20, 2009

I have the same problem, . now disputing the charge. EMUSIC sucks. EMUSIC IS FRAUD. THEY HAVE shady practices. termination within the 30-day trail does not mean start of subsrciption. they have poor music anyways.

• Le
    legaljamm Oct 27, 2008

Please be wary of attempting to claim free downloads from eMusic. I received a card for 35 free music downloads during a trial period lasting 30 days. I was required to join eMusic and select a club plan before I could download the free music. I downloaded my free mp3s on Oct. 17 and canceled the membership on Oct. 22. When I reviewed my credit card statement online, it showed I'd been billed on Oct. 21 for a full month's membership. When I contacted eMusic via its chat service, I was informed I'd agreed to this and it was buried in the "Terms of Use" document. However, upon finding the section referred to, it clearly noted no charges would be billed during the trial period. After threatening to contact the Better Business Bureau, online complaint sites and my credit card to protest the charge, eMusic wisely decided to follow its own Terms. Be very wary of using eMusic to claim your free music.

• Co
    ConcernedSCcitizen Sep 30, 2008

I also signed up for the trial downloads, I didn't end up downloading anything because I could not find any of the music I was searching for. Apparently they only work with independent musicians, which is fine, except I have now been charged $125.00 and can not get a refund as of yet. Twice I have spoken to someone saying that I will recieve an email within 24 to 48 business hours. I asked why it had been more than a week the 2nd time I called, and the representative said it is 24 to 48 business hours, which means 3 to 4 days. I never heard that one before. This is a scam! If they can get your credit card info, they will charge it and then hope you don't dispute it. When you call to dispute the charges, they will give you a run around in the hopes you will eventually give up. I now have to report it to my bank as fraud.

• Je
    Jerry Birge Apr 12, 2008

I agree it would not let me get any downloads I canceled and they still charged me 9.99 I got my free download idea from papa johns so I will be sending them an e-mail scince they were promoting this to try to get some results untill then my bank will block any further charges and I can fill out some paper work to get the money they took illegally.

• Mi
    Michelle Feb 28, 2008

I, too, am in the middle of this rip-off. Emusic claims that I created two accounts and only canceled one, and therefore has been charging me $9.99 per month for this "mystery" account under [email protected] (really now!! It's not even a real e-mail address, I tried it) I just get those automated responses, not a real person. I am disputing with credit card campany.

STAY AWAY FROM EMUSIC.COM!!!!

• To
    todd buckles Dec 18, 2007

Emusic as now cost me $73.99 "and counting" for an unathorized billing for services not renderd and they will not contact me to
    set my account right with my bank. EMUSIC is a scam!!!
    Im going to let the whole world know!!!

Todd A. Buckles
    [email protected]
    pass it on.

• Je
    Jeroen Groeneweg Nov 16, 2007

I recently have been charged for 201 euro by Emusic.

I have had a trial started for whitch I needed to give my credit card details.
    It was said there would be no charge on my card. It was just to make sure I was who I said who I was. A quick check on the internet gave me the idea I was dealing with a respectable company.
    I was stupid to do so, but I was sitting with my children and it was rather hectic. And again it seemed trust worthy.

The next two Emails I got did not warn me what so ever that I would be charged if is would not do this or that.
    I think this should be the least a company should do, to avoid the suspicion of trying to lure somebody into unwillingly pay a company for services he/or she was not intending to use.

At the end it turned out to be a trick to lure me into a what I experience as a scam.
    At the end this notion of no charge was a little different. 201 euro's a rediculous amount for downloading music some music.