Having problems with eMusic.com?

625 Broadway, 2nd Fl.
New York, New York

Complaints & Reviews

Emusic.com — fraud , deception out criminals

this company stole my identify and yes debit card info-WITHOUT me knowing it. No email welcoming no nothing...

Emusic — Unauthorized billing

Billed 14.95 for a membership on 3/2/09 for an account that had been canceled in Nov 2008. Their claim wa...

Emusic.com — Unauthorized billing

I received an offer with my purchase of a Netgear router for 50 free songs and one free audio book. When I...

EmusicTaking funds from account

Since October of 2008, $11.99 has been taken out of a closed bank account, that reopened when the emusic sent charges to it. Due to the reoccuring charges I was charged overdraft fees and return item fees. I now have a balance of $409.00 due to this issue. The bank would not close the account as long as they sent it through. No one will help and emusic is non responsive and continues to withdraw funds.

Emusicthey reactivated my cancellation

I CANCELLED THEIR SERVICE ON JANUARY 18, 2009 AND WAS CHARGED JANUARY 26, 2009, I CALLED EMUSIC TO SEE WHY THEY CHARGED ME, THEY SAID IM NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CHARGED BECAUSE THEIR RECORDS SHOW IT WAS CANCELLED AND THAT I HAD TO CALL PAYPAL TO SEE WHY IT WENT THROUGH, I THEN CALLED PAYPAL AND THE LADY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAD AN AUTHORIZATION TO CHARGE MY ACCT, SHE GAVE ME THE AUTH ID# AND TOLD ME TO CALL EMUSIC BACK AND GIVE THEM THAT NUMBER AND TELL THEM I WAS GIUNG TO FORWARD THE EMAIL RECIEPT TO SHOW PROOF THAT I WAS CHARGED, I THEN CALLED EMUSIC BACK AGAIN! AND TOLD THE REP WHAT WAS TOLD TO ME, HE THEN SUGGESTED ME TO EMAIL [protected]@EMUSIC.COM AND FORWARD THAT EMAIL ALONG WITH THE ID NUMBER, I DID AND GOT A RESPONSE THAT MY ACCOUNT WAS REACTIVATED IN NOVEMBER 08' AND THAT IM THE ONE WHO AUTHORIZED IT THROUGH AN EMAIL AD AND THEY ALSO STATED THEY COULD NOT REFUND ME FOR ANY CHARGES MADE TO MY CARD! BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU SUBSCRIBE WITH BECAUSE WITH THIS ECONOMY DOWNTURN, EVERYBODY'S TRYING TO RIP EVERYONE OFF AND WE ARE THE ONE'S WHO HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE GREEDY PEOPLE'S INJUSTICES!!!

• Do
        donewithcrook Aug 20, 2012

are you kidding me since oct 11 i signed up for free seven days to confusing to use on 6th day I cancelled the sixth day, they never cancelled it my husband been gripping for months what is this i have been getting my faceproducts for years from same same compoany price is almost to the dollar i never even have emusic another thought he gave me the complete information i said what the crap finally signin on emusic which my accont closed has been getting 31.99 for months, i never touch the program downloaded or even used it which phone rep agreed and i said of all the packages u just default to a 31.99 one instead of and she goes you want to downgrade to 5.95 i said are you kidding me you have made 600.00 free and clear and no one even downloaded one song nothiong whatever there glitch was i canceled on sixth day and rep danielle said well we have updated our system (information Lost) so lets just keep drawing off account because we can ...she said my supervisor said we can only go back two months in four days credits, oct 11 people, two months best they can do...well wink wink bad mistake on their part, very clear account never used, and after the conversation i had with several options might take few months, year...i will have way more than two months refund, and things will change get your best suit on emusic because of greed theres will be about few thousand other mad consumers that were taken advantage of and gots back to few years ..hope you saved and got plenty of insurance

Emusic — Unauthorized charges

eMusic.com has ads all over the internet offering 25 free downloads, so I succumbed and signed up for the...

Emusic.comunauthorized credit card charges

Though I do not believe emusic said a free trial started more than 3 yrs ago and charges started 14 months ago on my credit card--was there suppose to be 2 yrs free trial???I know I did not give or authorize my credit card. The verify I have never downloaded a song.

EmusicI got scammed

Emusic does scam. When you cancel your account, they send you an email if you click on it they automatically reactivate your account and they DO NOT tell you or send you a confirmation email. I am currently trying to get my wasted $90 back because I did not track my credit card charges well enough. My bad but YES THEY DO SCAM. Oh and they will not give you a refund even though they can see you never downloaded any music and did mean to cancel your account 8 months ago... They also will nto let you talk to any supervisors and hold you hostage when you try to call and complain. I reported them to the BB also.

Just want people to know that even so called legit companies can scam.

• Ob
            ObWan Feb 25, 2009

EMusic is a joke, DON’T JOIN. I joined believing their claims about having the largest music selection on the web. After getting into their site and trying to download music from artists I had actually heard of I couldn’t find a single one. What a joke. If you want music you have actually heard on the radio get your music somewhere else.

• Da
            Dan May 05, 2009

If you put your profile on hold, meaning you don't want to be charged for another month since you didn't find the music you were looking for at that time. You'd better use you credits before 30 days is up. They will delete your unused credits and not refund you. It is a total rip off of your money. Plus, their customer service is horrible-namely Clyde Shepard. Very rude and downright mean.

Dan

australiana May 23, 2009

I signed up for a free trial but cancelled. I got an email with a "special offer" asking me to rejoin. When I clicked to investigate I was re-enrolled without any warning or authorisation from me. This is a deeply dishonest business and I advise all to avoid it. I am attempting to get my credit card charged reversed. Will advise on progress.

• Ti
            Timothy Cohee Feb 15, 2010

I am looking for enough people who have been illegally and manipulately billed by e-music to file a class action lawsuit against the company through the states Attorney Generals office.

australiana Jun 10, 2010

After a fight I did get a refund but what a shonky outfit.

• Mi
            michellev Oct 18, 2010

contact the BBB. That's what I did.

• Em
            Emusic Unhappy Camper Feb 22, 2011

I have no Idea howthis company, got my prepaid debit card info. they have tryed to debt my card weekly since 8-26-09, (per conversation with Shelly at the emusic company, confirmation # [protected]) I onlygot the card from walmart 2010. I cancelled today 2-22-11. But never signe up! they are refunding 2 payments, but one for 9-22-10 is to old for their system to refund? I am not a music lover, never have been one to buy music or go to concerts. I listen that is it and enjoy it. [protected]@gmail.com

Emusic.comUnauthorized Charge

I went to the website to sign up for the 25 day "risk-free" trial. I was mislead down a path that asked for my credit card. The language clearly stated "if you are signing up for free songs, don't worry, your credit card will not be charged .. just need it for authorization purposes.. etc etc." I proceeded and downloaded 17 songs, only to find that the site did not suit my personal preferences in music. So I canceled the service, to be sure.

The site, however, is unclear and calculated in it's process and somehow I ended up with a credit card charge of 11.99. Upon calling eMusic, they refused the refund.

The site is fraudulently misleading consumers into a "free trial" that is clearly not free.

What can be done so other innocents like me don't get burnt too and/or how can I get my money back!!

EmusicFraud / Credit Card Charges

1. Despite two attempts to cancel account charges via their web site, credit card charges continue to appear.
            2. Despite discussion with customer service, credit card charges continue.

- This is fraud. Theft.

Look, eMusic DOES offer downloadable music. I'll grant, some of it blows up for mysterious reasons eventually, but there is music that can be downloaded.

The problem is what the company does next. This is a criminal organization.

• Ga
                Gatis Oct 05, 2008

They have stolen money from me either. Mother...s

EmusicRip off

I was also SCAMMED by emuSICK! These people need to be STOPPED! I suggest we all complain to the Internet Crimes Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov/ and also the FBI Internet Fraud. Center at http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/internetschemes.htm. If we do not let the government know we are serious, they will not take serious action against emusic!!!

Do it for the principle and to STOP THESE THIEVES from hurting others! THEY CAN RUIN YOUR CREDIT if you allow them...

• Gy
                  gypsy Jun 19, 2008

I received a few fliers with the arrival of my newly purchased Creative's Zen MP3 player... I tried Audible.com first, and am happy to say that the Risk Free 30 day trial offer seams to be legit... I got my Audioboox I have NOT been charged to date, and DO plan to continue to do biz w/them.

Having had THAT good fortune, I decided to try the next page in the flier... EMusic... Still, a 30 day "RISK FREE" offer, 50 free songs, no payment no fault, keep the tunes if canceled within 30 days, $11.99 if I stuck - and the option for another "RISK FREE" 14 day trial of eboox, with a rollover to $9.99 if I did not cancel within that 14 days.

I tried to download 1 MP3 tune on the Emusic site... While it played in my Windows Media player, it was no where to be found in my computer. Ok... let's go and cancel... Twas then that I saw I had ALREADY been nailed for the $11.99... When I tried to use my 1 credit for an Audio book, the 1st 5 that I TRIED to obtain, got an 'ooops' page... Not available at this time...??? Huh??? It's DATA! On the 6th try. I saw that my 1 free credit had evaporated and my account had already been charged $9.99, but there was no new ebook downloaded anywhere in my computer!

Peepz, I'm disabled and on a fixed income. I choose my entertainment expenditures wisely, and while I have NO PROBLEMS with staying with someone reputable, I can ILL AFFORD to be allowing myself to be scammed out of part of a fixed income. This has cost me $11.99 + $9.99 + overdrafts on each $25.00 X 2, and then another check bounced due to this for $19.00 and then another $25.00 fee for that.

In return, I have ZERO--- Bupkiss, NADA, to listen to except myself, singing the blues! These people have NO PHONE NUMBER! I usually look 4 such PRIOR to allowing myself to get screwed, It was my bad this time for not doing proper diligent research. I have already shot off 4 complaints to them, via their on line form, the ONLY way they can be contacted it appears... And have already been to my bank, who will be trying to recoup my funds... I doubt it will happen, but I've got 'em all crossed yo.

The online form says they will TRY to get back to you within a week, but there is NO WAY to get to a breathing human here. It is MY HUMBLE OPINION that people should steer clear of this place until they either get the act together, work out the bugs... Something.. I really hate to want to be a hater and claim SCAM... But--- I AM out OVER to a hundred bux here, for one partially listened to tune that I cannot even listen to anymore!

What a shame Creedence Clear Water Revival can't collect the royalty on that track!. My next stop is to put in a complaint with Creative, as they ought know better than to taint a good product with a BAD BAD partner.

MOST Sincerely,
                  Richard Mansfield.

Andrea Jun 23, 2008

i had signed up for and paid for 30 songs for .$99 cents. that is all the add said nothing else. a few weeks later, i noticed a charge from them for $9.99. when i called to question them, they responsed that i had signed up for the audio books. I told them that i did not, and wanted a refund. they did not give me one, until my bank got ahold of them to let them know they were being investagated for fraudulant charges.

Audrey Sep 29, 2008

My bank's fraud department is now investigating them, but threatening legal action (which I have to admint was not an idle threat given their poor attitude) started the refund prior to this...hopfeully it will complete in full. It is essential to have the cancellation email though!

• Ha
                  HanF59 May 04, 2010

I downloaded music from their site and when I went to put them on my ipod it would say path not found. I also tried burning them to a cd and got the same message, when I contacted the website I was basicly told sorry, they couldn't do anything. I wasted 40 bucks on music I can't even listen to on my computer. If you are thinking about using them...don't.

• Wi
                  wierdag Jul 09, 2010

This is a total rip off. I downloaded one song.

• My
                  MyOpinionCountsII May 06, 2011

My son was in the hospital when I should have canceled my account. I was looking for children's songs and found none. When I called to have them reimburse the monthly fee, they didn't give me the $ back. Not a good business model in my opinion... too bad, it would be nice to only have to pay $ .49 per song!

Emusiccan't cancel

I didn't sign up for the service. I was suppose to get free music through a offer with my new laptop. I never was able to get music & have been charge for the last 4 months. The first month I was charged cause me to be charged over 100.00 for account negative balance. When I tried to call the company got a recording saying to email @ [protected]@emusic.com. Well, the website does not exist!!!

Emusic.com — Unauthorized charges

I began receiving monthly billings of $19.99 for services I never ordered. I attempted to cancel any future...

Emusic — emusic download rip-off

I got my child a $20 MP3 player for Christmas. This "inexpensive" little stocking stuffer has turned out to...

Emusic.comTerrible customer service!

Recieved ipod and 30 day trial from directtv promotional. The emusic .com site has been billing me 14.95 per month and and customer service is nonexistent and unresponsive. I've been unable to get a phone number or customer service address that is functional. I've read numerous reports re nefarious practices by emusic.com against participants who have selected a music download plan only to have it changed by the site operators to a more expensive plan or longer term selection. This practice is totally illegal.

• St
                      Stephen Wright Apr 29, 2008

I received a offer inside the box of a AT&T cell phone I purchased. "50 free music downloads from Emusic.c0m A 14 day trial offer. Over 2, 000, 000 songs offered." When you sign up, it requires a credit card to complete the registration. Once I completed the registration and entered the site I discovered that it contained no music or artists that I would want to download. I cancelled my trial offer within a couple hours. I received a confirmation that my account was cancelled and I would receive "no further billing." I checked my credit card account on-line the next day I found I was charged $19.99 I checked more into Emusic.com and discovered per Wikipedia that " New subscribers receive 25 free downloads over a period of 14 days.[3] The trial account turns into a billable subscription account immediately after registering for a trial. Refunds are impossible." I contacted my credit card company and opened a dispute. Emusic.com is not only deceptive but a total rip-off. I urge everyone to stay clear.

Emusic.comeMusic service is NO SERVICE!

My daughter received a certificate through Radio Disney - for "free" I-Pod downloads thru E-Music. When we went online to get these "free" downloads we had to complete a registration and subscribe. It was said that there was no obligation and that the membership could be cancelled (kind of like a free trial type thing) - yet we had to provide a credit card #. We never got to the point of being able to download any music and decided we didn't want to go further. We submitted a request to cancel the service right away. We rec'd notice the account was cancelled - however we received a charge on the credit card. The following month we were charged again. I went online trying to find contact info - there is nothing. I cancelled the acct again - this time printing the receipt of cancellation. The following month I was charged yet again! This has continued for about 5 months now - each month I have disputed the charges thru my credit card company and each month tried to find a way to get E-music to stop charging the card. I recently noticed there was a phone # on the credit card statement. I called the # and the automated line says "to cancel your service by e-mail, press 1", to cancel your service by...press 2" to cancel your service by phone press 3" - those are the only options - obviously people are not happy w/ them! Anyhow I thought "oh wow! I have another route to get this resolved" - so I pressed 3 to cancel by phone. Guess what?? It directs you to go to the internet to cancel. I am very frustrated with this companies lack of service on all levels. I have never and will never use or recommend this company to anyone.

• Ia
                        Ian Macavoy May 28, 2008

emusic.com run the same scam in the UK as that described by Gena; see previous.

My credit card company are - hopefully - taking up the cudgels to recover the "subscriptions" that I never authorized. Since having my account debited without my permission I have belatedly found many complaints about emusic, but not a sign of a rebuttal from that company. Its attitude is "keep quiet and the aggrieved party will go away". Not this one.

• 72
                        727 Sep 01, 2009

Here is the real emusic contact info for customer service.

Nathan Mares

[protected]@emusic.com
                        (O): [protected]
                        (C): [protected]

www.emusic.comcancel downloals

I was given 25 free down loads of music. And now Im being billed 9.99 a month as a subsriber. I want this cancelled and reimbursed for 3 months.

• Ta
                          TARA Apr 01, 2008

UNAUTHORIZED. YEAH I GUESS SO, NEVER HEARD OF THIS COMPANY BUT THEY HELPED THEMSELVES TO $9.99 OF MY HARD EARNED DOLLARS. I WILL CALL MY CREDIT UNION BUT DOES ANYONE ELSE KNOW HOW TO PUT AN END TO THIS NONSENSE? PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [protected]@yahoo.com

Emusic — Unauthorized charges!

Signed up for a "free" trial. Realized this site had nothing to offer and canceled the same day. Now there...

EmusicScam and fraud!

I signed up, tried the service, found it too buggy and canceled within 24 hours. Then I see they've charged my Amex and will not respond to my e-mail.

Beware people!

• Do
                            Doris Ann Shaner Jan 11, 2008

Evidently, when I bought a card at my local best buy for 65 downloads from eMusic... registered the card (have to use a credit card to register my card?)... never could find 65 songs to download... they say I have a "subscription" and have charged me 9.99 for the past 6 months... when I never even totally used my prepaid card.

Is this even legal? Can't talk to anyone at customer service. Maybe there is no customer service. I think I will go through the arduous effort to report them to the BBB in New York city (that is where their address is).

I have placed a dispute with my credit card.

• Ic
                            iceage Jan 13, 2008

I absolutely agree that emusic.com are crooks. I registered after Dec 27 for a 14 days FREE TRIAL. The first thing they did was subscribing me for a month and charging my card for J8.99. I cancelled the same day but they charged me !!! When you registers for trial they charges you anyway and says that it wasn't free trial and you mixed up the ads. But they lie. And they never send you any confirmation about the charges or registration.

Pls be aware and check your cc even after cancellation. Very often they 'forget' about the cancellation and charges you for 3-4 months.

In addition their music library is very poor. They don't have Metallica, U2, Manonna etc. No major singers and bands. I don't think you are ready to pay for cover versions and songs IN STILE OF someone famous.

• Be
                            Beth May 14, 2008

These jerks need to be put out of business! I havent even visited the site, I canceled soon after signing up...or at least TRIED to!! I FINALLY got a cancellation confirmation today after 2 months of emails to cancel. They dont do refunds either...bet me!!! I will get an attorney if I have to!

EmusicNot So Free Trial

My 11yo son and I both bought iPod-copies from Sears in July 07. Each came with a free
                          trial period and 50 free downloads from eMusic. When I used the same credit card to register
                          both trial subscriptions, the second subscription was immediately billed stating
                          there was only one trial per person. They customer service fixed the problem, but I still cancelled the subscription on July 19th because I didn't trust the unprofession and dissorganized way it was handled. They continued to bill me through October 07 with nothing but pre-written canned answers from customer service. There is way to talk to a human on their customer service phone number. Unbelievably brazen theives.

• Em
                              emtp JB Mar 01, 2008

I, too, got suckered in by the free music downloads on www.emusic.com/train. I decided not to get the free audiobook until a later time besides the music choices were not great and iTunes kept giving me an error message that the files could not be found. When I signed up for what I thought was the free audiobook, my credit card was charged $9.99. You can forget calling them since you only get a recording telling you how to cancel your account. I even tried pressing "0" and even all of the numbers to get a human to talk to.

I finally resorted to writing lots of complaint e-mails using the original complaint number they gave me even though I only got an automated answer that never addressed my problem. One day, I sent 5 copies of the same complaint. I figured that I would flood their box and hope they would answer. I checked my credit card bill about a week ago and there was a credit for the $9.99 they owed me.

Just keep at them and maybe it will work. You also have the option of contacting your credit card company and reporting that you were charged for services you did not receive. I would suggest also telling them that the company refuses to fix the false charges. Good luck! ----emtp JB