Dollar Treestrange disposable policies

S

When i've gone to the abingdon dollar tree during previous trips it has always been easy and very simple. Today I breezed through the store and picked a few items that appealed to me, and got into checkout, but then my cashier did something that could have very well ruined this very nice day I choose to walk in - one of my items rung up for a penny and he changed the price to a dollar - (a reasonable price anyone expects to pay from a $1 store.) I can't understand why he verbally expressed his panic because he would have to answer for selling the penny item to me at all - whether it cost a dollar or not. This implied that I wasn't allowed to buy anything I wanted from the store, because anything that rung up as $0.01 was not for sale, he informed me of dollar tree's corporate policy that required action by employees to destroy and trash the merchandise, even if it was harmlessly pushed to the back of the store.

Not only is this corporate policy a horrible waste and blight to the environment, but I was appalled by the way I was treated by the store manager. After a typical "business response" that was not the least bit consoling, she threatened to call the police on a paying customer, for offering more money to buy their discontinued merchandise, even though I was shocked and enraged at the time, it was an inappropriate response - emotions are never a justification for treating a concerned customer this way. I was told their corporate policy was to discard these things like garbage, to not donate it to goodwill or to sell it to any customer that wants to buy it, simply for the reason that it's out of season. What should I have done, ignored her and acted up to draw attention to this harmful policy? I opt to share my opinion instead.

All I wanted to buy were a couple of table runners left over from christmas, I love the pretty fabric and how it creates such a festive feel, they easily accentuate a st. Patrick's day party and go with all of the spring collections the store is bringing out now. Why on earth is there such a reason why a dropped penny cannot be sold for a dollar? I was vocal about this infuriating company policy and I did get loud at the point I was asked to leave the store, because it's wrong - junking sellable inventory is an awful waste. These decorations went so well with the green theme, they could have been placed in the store window - if they were not treated like garbage by the store, other people could have enjoyed them as well and the store could have made more money. It took a considerable portion of my day explaining to the manager that I appreciate being able to purchase these decorations for a purpose rather than let these things create more pollution - and to be fair to her, she did sell the gorgeous table runners to me, a good deed that she should not be threatened with termination for.

I've been a frequent customer of dollar tree, i'd drop by occasionally and spend a couple bucks on incidentals or cute decorations.in recent history i've found it very sound and pleasant to shop there, but if dollar tree strictly enforces this policy to the point that it threatens the livelihoods of its employees with job termination over things worth pennies that it's customers will pay dollars for, this leaves a bitter unethical aftertaste to giving dollar tree future business. If a manager is not allowed to make an informed decision about what can be sold in the store, why should I continue shopping there? For dollar tree to decide that the fruit of overseas labor, that we are so fortunate to enjoy from this american company, has zero worth and belongs in a landfill, that company is not worthy of loyal customers, only a boycott. If such corporation cannot appreciate the value of money and labor, then they already have too much of it. I have to say I boycott corporations that trash merchandise and show zero respect for people or the environment, and if what the store manager said to me is correct, dollar tree is treating neither one right. For the sake of humanity, I hope it's not true, I hope this was just an isolated bad experience.

When is corporate policy going to take a backseat to doing what's best and making it right??

When will shop owners say "the customer is always right", and actually mean it?

I implore dollar tree to join target and conscientious businesses that make tax-deductible donations to benefit charity organizations like goodwill, because there's nothing more appealing to caring consumers than a business with responsible recycling practices, and when those businesses care and

Put customers first!