Diamond Resorts Internationalpressure sales and no availability afterwards

A Review updated:

The high pressure sales "tour" we took not only lasted over 2 hours, but I would have sat there all day if I did not finally say OK to something they were selling. The parade of people that came to our table was unbelievable. Each one had some other offer or special only they had the ability to extend to us if we bought now. The approach they used was " the money we have on your credit card in good faith will not be refunded unless you comply with the full sales tour. This tour was to be no longer than 1 hour and included their sales pitch. The problem was, the sales pitch never ended and wouldn't until you said OK. I spent $700. on a Sampler package only because I was feeling over-whelmed and exhausted trying to defend my right to say "No Thank-you". I haven't even been able to book a 1 night stay in Sedona with the FREE 2 night stay given to me as a gift "The V.I.P. Traveler". The restrictions are innumerable and even if you can work around them they are always booked up full. On Oct. 20th a Tuesday night...What is going on in Sedona that all rooms are book at both resorts? I called to check into a few dates for the $700. Sampler Package I purchased and also had no luck with any of the dates or places I wanted to go.

There must be a case for a class lawsuit here. Anyone know a lawyer?

Patrick Duffy Oct 16, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,
    You'll not need a lawyer...If this does not fit into your ideal vacation expectation and/or anticipation, please drop me an email at; patrick.[protected]@diamondresorts.com

Diamond Resorts International would not want you to feel anything but relaxation with any of our products.
    I can assist you in booking accomodations or extend whatever courtesy you seek.

• Li
    Lindy Hildreth Jan 03, 2010

we have had similar experiences. all the wonderful locations were touted during the sales meeting/purchase, and then we couldn't get reservations at 99% of them. in 7 years, we have only been able to book in florida, nevada, and williamsburg--no matter what time of the year or day of the week. one day, for grins, i tried to book at every single locations in the system as a test, and they were all full!!! come on, who goes to hilton head in the dead of winter???? or murrell's inlet, SC????

so, i called several represenatives, and spoke with all the reps when we have visited the properties in fl and va. NO ONE via phone or in person was able to get me a booking. rather, they tried to sell me more points, so i'd have more options. now, why would i purchase more points when i can't even use the ones i have????

lawyers have also entered my mind. frustrated in virginia

Paul_SJ Jun 04, 2010

I see so many companies in US these days coming up with complicated and deceiving products to cheat Americans of their hard earned money. Is that all left in American now. I think outsourcing of all metal and manufacturing jobs to Asia has has resulted in all this mess. People dont have jobs and all they can do is create new tricks to make money. I just saved myself from their hasstle by cancelling a contract I signed just 2 days ago, after seeing their utterly negative remarks every where on internet.

Patrick Duffy Jun 04, 2010

Dear Paul_SJ...

If I can help to expedite your cancel, please permit me the opportunity. Sometimes these products are not suited to everybody. That is why we provide cancellation periods for each purchaser.

• Ga
    gailbeatty Jul 04, 2010

My husband and I had exactly the same disgusting eperience as Assume did in Sedona last month. They wore us down until we agreed to buy The Sampler just to get the the heck out of there. I have gotten nowhere by phone calls and writing, and have already submitted a complaint with the State of Arizona Attorney General. My next step is calling the media - I will not give up until I get my money back from these crooks. Everyone who has been scammed by Diamnond Resorts in Sedona- let's get together and fight them together. we can't be the only ones.

To Mr. Duffy- if you actually exist:

"With 450, 000 owners and members, there will always be a percentage of users that are not comfortable. We're happy to accomodate you.

Chief Experience Officer"

I'd love to hear from you.

• Ld
    LDawn May 22, 2018

@gailbeatty I see this was posted in 2010. Did you ever get any resolve? I too was lied to terribly and given the ol bait and switch. Literally has ruined our chance to have a honeymoon. These people wreck lives.

Patrick Duffy Jul 06, 2010

Gail,

Please email me with your contact information...It is more of our interest to have satisfied, knowledgeable customers.

Yours truly,

• Mr
    Mrs. DuBoise Jul 11, 2010

I must agree when it comes to high pressure sales tactics. I do not like sitting through even the update presentations because of that. I am an owner and even though we do not own lots of points, we are always able to get into places, Florida, Hawaii, Vegas, Scottsdale, Tahoe, etc. Unfortunately, we live in California and cannot seem to get into the locations in California that we want most. I think that when someone buys the sampler that they don't get the same customer service that regular owners get. If that is the case, that is deceptive and not a good way to sell the full timeshare experience and it should be illegal if it is on purpose.

• Ga
    gailbeatty Jul 17, 2010

I am following up on my earlier post regarding our experience with Diamond Resorts International in Sedona, Az. A day or so after I posted it, I was contacted by Patrick Duffy, Chief Experience Officer of DRI, who agreed to cancel our contract and refund our deposit. Within days, the matter was completely, and satisfactorily resolved. My husband and are very relieved to have the experience behind us, and appreciate Mr. Duffy's intervention on our behalf.

DaisyS Aug 06, 2010

We purchased a timeshare with Diamond International on July 27th 2010. After coming back home we started to look into the comments on the internet about their sales practices, misrepresenation, pricing, etc...We realized that we had been victim of their sales tactics. Many of the things they represented to us such as maintenance fee increase (avg 4% per year or less, ability to exchange, etc... were not as promised. However, I must say they are very convincing and during the "tour" they have anwers to all questions.

Before the end of the recission period, we sent them a fax to the number they provided to pay the full balance of our purchase. A week later, they had not processed the transaction. I find it odd that a supplier would not do this unless of course they do not want to give us the additonal 4% discount stipulated in the cash out option.

We started to do more research and found out that a number of people complained about maintenance fees, penalties on invoice they never received, etc...

Yesterday (3 days after the end of the recission period), we faxed and fedexed them a recission letter to the address they povided us. Today, we received a call from a "customer care specialist" who offered us a year of 3 maintenance. I expelained to him that we were not interested and just wanted to cancel the contract. We even offered to pay a penalty if required.

He refused and told us that he did not have the authority (in fact he said nobody in the campny had the authority...). He told us that we had no choice and if we did not pay he will refer us to their legal departmentand that it would ruin our credit.

We are looking for a laywer and ready for class action. This is simply not professional. Any advice appreciated !!!

Patrick Duffy Aug 06, 2010

DaisyS...

We have over 450, 000 owners and members. Did you think/read that perhaps emailing me might be of some help? My name and contact information is listed on 4 posts on this page alone?

Yes, you do have a recission period. This is a Real Estate transaction.

If I can help you, I'm very happy to.

DaisyS Aug 06, 2010

Patrick,

I sent you email a few minutes ago. Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

DaisyS

DaisyS Aug 13, 2010

Seems like Mr Duffy does not exist after all. We have not heard anything from him. In the meantime, we have found a lawyer and have finalized our complaint to the State of Arizona Attorney General. Next will be Better Business Bureau in Nevada since it seems that it is where DRI is based.

Patrick Duffy Aug 13, 2010

Daisy S,

I'm here...As much as I would enjoy hearing from you. I have not received any communication outside of this forum...

Sorry, but I await your communication at;

patrick.[protected]@diamondresorts.com or call me at [protected]

• Ha
    Halaine G. Sep 25, 2010

My husband and I recently attended a DRI presentation and the ninety minutes turned into almost 3 hours. We left with a DRI Sampler and a Dream Week to be used within two years. We were told that on this sampler trip we're to ask for a Club Unit. and that we will be treated like an owner. We are to receive this Dream Week after we take our 7500 point Sampler trip. We are hopeful that we will have a pleasant experience and that we will not be met with any additional high pressure sales personnel.
    We have read everything that everyone has written and are not surprised by some of the complaints. They sound typical of this industry. We are going to go into this with a hopeful and positive attitude, but if it is anything less than that, we will be on this post again, along with a conversation with Patrick Duffy. Wish us luck !

Halaine G.
    NC

DaisyS Sep 26, 2010

Mr Duffy does exist and I must say he was very helpful and solved our case . our satisfaction.
    We did lose some money in the process but we were able to get out. I strongly suggest anyone to do their research before going into one of the sales meeting. Their stories are very good and you feel that it is the deal of your life until you wake up...
    At the end, we were not at all happy with the high pressure and misleading sales tactics but we are grateful to Mr Duffy to help us find a solution. He did treat us with integrity and respect. We do appreciate it. It is unfortunate that not everyone in DRI has the same ethics.

Patrick Duffy Sep 26, 2010

Dear Halaine G...

Firstly, thank you for your confidence in Diamond Resorts International. I have every assurance your Sampler will give you what you expected and more...Enjoy it to the fullest.
    Of course, if I may be of any assistance please permit me the opportunity.

Patrick Duffy Sep 26, 2010

Dear Ms. Sero,

Thank you for your message. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you. When you return home, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Also, just contact me this week if you would, as I am personally aware of your situation and would like to speak with you. At your convenience of course.

Bakersdozen Oct 16, 2010

Dear Mr Duffy:

Dear Mr Duffy

I have read the various comments on this blog and would like to ask a simple question.

There has been much discussion about the rises in management fees. Concrete facts seemed to be in short supply. I therefore did some research.

I found that Expedia were offering appartments for rental at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocen Club in Tenerife. One two bedroom appartment cost £510 for one week at Easter next year (2011). This is far enough in advance that it should reflect standard prices and not any form of special offer.

Looking in the DRI points calendar, one week in a two bed appartment at the Santa Barbara Golf and Ocean Club "costs" members 6500 points. Looking at the invoice that you sent to me for maintenance fees, this would equate to more than £800 in maintenance charges.

It seems from this that you charge around 60% more for maintenence that casual holidaymakers would pay to rent... without the costs of buying points and the annual commitments to DRI.

Looking through the various blogs containing complaints about DRI, it would seem that this is not an isolated situation.

Can you explain why your maintenance charges are so high? I would have expected members to be paying substantially less than casual travellers given that they have paid so much to buy points in the first place and that they are committed to holidaying with you.

I think that we would all appreciate a breakdown of the expenses incurred in maintaining one of your appartments for a week.

Regards

Robin

SuzanneAnderson Nov 02, 2010

My experience was not fun either. I purchased the sampler for the poipu location, but had several questions about the facilities. My timeshare sleeps 8 and I needed a resort that could accomadate that. The sales lady did not respond to me until well after 7 seven days of the contract expired, and then I discovered the two bedroom barely slept 6. She also assured me "verbally" it wouldn't be difficult to get out of the contract after the 7 days, she said I could cancel anytime. Well, the day after my contract expired I was informed the facilities would not be adequate for the size of my family and my attempt to cancel was refused. I furnished my paper trail which valadated my lack of information from their sales department and it didn't matter.

BEWARE of DIAMOND RESORT... They don't care about the consumer!

Suzanne

SuzanneAnderson Nov 02, 2010

I have been informed by my sales rep that upper management has approved my cancellation and I should have a refund in 2 weeks. I will post when this happens.

Suzanne

Vacation Owner Nov 14, 2010

Well did you Get the Refund Yet

They will probably also make you sign some kind of no negative comments in order to get your refund.

Good luck

CVO

Vacation Owner Nov 17, 2010

Robin

I did not see Mr. Duffy's response to your inquery, I too asked him to provide a little more concrete info regarding their sky rocketing m-fees. I was not as nice as you when I asked, but I too was shunned by Mr. Duffy for my prying inquery, it is my personal opinion that the 450, 000 DRI members are funding some very wealthy executive salieries and pensions.

450, 000 X $1, 000 = $450, 000, 000 per year in FEES. Maintenance fees were originally meant to offset the normal costs of operating, not as a money grab from members to line greedy pockets.

Vacation Owner

Bakersdozen Nov 17, 2010

You are quite right. He remains very silent about this. DRI have not responded to my letters asking these questions either. However I have seen that they attempt to sue when someone makes a direct allegation that the fees are used for something else other than maintenance. This is obviously an issue that should be investigated.

It is of course difficult for the private citizen to effectively investigate an organisation with the resources of DRI. We need help from a Government agency.

Patrick Duffy Nov 17, 2010

Bakersdozen and Vacation Owner,

One of my responsibilities, and one I enjoy most is to assist people, As evidenced in several posts on this forum. I do not vett issues on this forum. As each member/owner is unique and their issues, are theirs...Not yours or others to ruminate about.

My contact information is clearly and transparently available, should one choose to reach me.

Bakersdozen---You chose for your own reasons to not contact me...Your choice!

Vacation Owner---As I wrote you initially, "I cannot help you"...Your rudeness is a trait I don't respond to.

However, if you both should chose to come out from behind your pseudonym...I can be reached at;

Email: patrick.[protected]@diamondresorts.com. Office phone; [protected]

Diamond Resorts International

Bakersdozen Nov 17, 2010

With the greatest respect, Patrick:

I have written to your offices on several occasions about this politely asking for an explanation. So far nothing but silence on the matter... just phone calls asking for more money. Your company never answers the question. Hence my belief that I might get more action by asking these questions publicly.

There is nothing unique about this question of management fees. There are many people who feel the same. I can direct you towards any number of complaints boards where this is the top issue. It is a universal issue of interest to many people, I can assure you of that.

I also saw on one of these complaints boards that you threatened legal action against a woman who seems to have alleged that your CEO was somehow using the management fees for a political purpose. I don't know what the argument was, but I would like to avoid the same entanglements unless I am forced to go to court in order to seek a resolution. That is why I will not contact you personally.

Why will you not answer these questions publicly?

Cordially...

SuzanneAnderson Nov 17, 2010

Over two weeks later, NO REFUND. I left a message with my sales rep and will let you know the response.
    Below are my past blogs explaining if your tuning in late...

Patrick Duffy Nov 17, 2010

Dear Robin,

Just reach out to me at the contacts provided...Really, you have nothing to lose. This members situation has no reflection on you or your request. I assist in resolution individually not as a performance. I await your call.

Best,

Patrick,

Whether your are sincere in your efforts to help "Members" of DRI is between you and God. I do commend your efforts to put a nice face on the front of DRI. You have handled yourself in a professional manner. You have a lot of work to do and you keep you cool. I do apologize for the personal attack I do not know you. My anger at DRI however still stands.

Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do for me because I do not belong to DRI Points of any kind (personal choice made back when DRI was Suntera February 2006 to be exact during an Resort Owner "UPDATE" ) so while you have been able to help complaints that have been posted, my personal beef is with DRI as a corporate entity and how they have destroyed any value I had in deeded resort property now under "management" control of DRI. So even though I choose not to go DRI points I get to fund their operation with my Maintenance fees anyway. WOW thank you very much DRI, so even after I said no they got my $$$ anyway and so far it appears they have done it "Legally".

While everything might be "Legal" that DRI does it does not mean they have done what is in the best interest of the industry they claim to serve. Their mission is to make as much money as they can regardless of the ethics of how they obtain that money (legally of course), much like the TimeShare industry as a whole. The whole science/psychology of the TS presentation is designed to make certain the "CORPORATION" has taken every avenue possible to part the traveler with their travel dollars. Tell me am I wrong. I could not in good conscience even donate my property, knowing I was going to burden some other person with such a company.

So I personally wish to warn everybody and anybody out their that has a choice to stir clear of Diamond Resorts Intl. (DRI). Don't purchase, cancel if you can, get out, run as far and as fast as you can. This does not mean you will get away but run... Do not take my word for it do the research, google it...

Bakersdozen

If your interested,

The political gain regarding DRI CEO Stephen J. Cloobeck has just been named Chairman of the newly formed Corporation for Travel Promotion. CTP was formed out of the Travel and Promotion Act of 2009 and they will be responsible for promoting America as a travel destination, much like other countries have a travel and tourism board. WOW imagine having that power to write policy of how the travel industry promote America. ( I see a shiny new mansion in his future) This all just occured Nov 1st 2010.

Now DRI will try and down play this as CTP is a non profit corporation funded by private donations (and fees charge to foreign travelers), sounds all warm and fuzzy now doesn't it?

Look under those covers my friend, "Non Profit" does not mean "NO $$$" while I am sure much good can come from promoting and inviting people to visit this great country. Think about the power and responsibility that board will have on the Travel Industry as a whole...

Now look at what DRI has done to your deeded resort property and at the same time has heavily funded their operation by TAXING members to the maximum the law will allow. That is what all these fees equate to, Taxes imposed by DRI on all of their members without any way of getting out from under their oppressive reign. My maintenance fee is only around 700 to 800 dollars, but all the other fees put it near 1500. Look at your bill they break it all out (seems to me many of these new fees were once part of the base M-fee) at least as a deeded only owner they do. I'm not sure what anyone else s bill looks like.

I will leave you with this last thought

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business."
    Henry Ford

Bakersdozen Nov 18, 2010

I find that amazing. I am starting to lose faith in democracy. How can DRI get away with such behaviour and have the Chief Exec promoted into such a position.

Unbelievable.

Is there no one out there that can or will call DRI to account? Clearly not a travel industry trade body, from what you have told me here. Come on America. You are better than this.

Vacation Owner Nov 18, 2010

I am not sure what it will take to wake people up to the reality, I'm not even sure if more than a handful of people even are aware of DRI's true agenda. One thing is for certain in my mind, they are not doing it to help the traveler have a safe and enjoyable vacation.

People do the math...

Pay DRI 25, 000 to own some points + 1.5k per year to to vacation at a DRI resort (1 of about "24, 000 beds" they claim your points are good for). When you could book the same resort through Expedia, Orbits, Travelocity or any number of other travel websites for less than you pay in maintenance fees.

1500/7 nights = about $215/night, using that as a budget go to one of the travel sites listed and see what type of resort you could get. (BTW most of the DRI "REsorts you can get with points you can also get with $$$ sometime for less $$$ than Points Value it will cost you)

Now lets look at what you paid for the privilege of giving up your deed (irrevocable trust) the average update to points runs about 10, 000 and for that you get nothing but mystical points that can fluctuate in value based on the whims of the points provider and not as a fair market value. There is no Market except that which is created by DRI, so they are in control.

Now you take the 25k + the 10k update plus the 1.5k/yr in fees and carry that out over 30 years (approximate amount of time the average person will be able to use their travel investment)

1.5k x 30 years (assuming the fees never go up, ha like that would happen) = 45, 000

add the original investment of 25k + 10K upgrade and your at 80, 000 (are you still with me?)

(Sorry this sound a bit like a backwards timeshare presentation)

Bottom line----
    $80, 000 for 30 years of travel works out to about 2600 a week for Lodging or 371/night. Take a look at where you can stay for that kind of money...

Bottom line DRI in my opinion is gouging their members / affiliates huge FEES/"TAXES" and they feel they do not need to explain themselves (except for the babble they spout when a member complains). If you do ask them to explain, they open up the book of canned responses and hope you go away. Well guess what, I have nothing better to do with my time then inform others of DRI's evil ways. Hopefully they will not make the same mistake 450, 000 DRI members have made.

RUN do not walk, cancel if you can, get out now while you still have money to take a vacation. If you do not take my warning seriously you will regret it for a long time to come.

Concerned Vacation Owner
    Don't buy, rent it a week at a time... It is a whole lot cheaper in the long run.

Bakersdozen Nov 19, 2010

You know, Patrick is amazing. DRI looks about as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo, yet Patrick keeps cool and tries to maintain the illusion that DRI actually cares about its customers.

He would be a great guy to have with you in a trench. He would keep on defending the most indefensible of positions.

Ever thought about a job in Helmand province Patrick? The Paratroop Regiment could use a guy like you.

SuzanneAnderson Nov 22, 2010

I am very happy to report, I have received a full refund!
    Below are my past blogs explaining if your tuning in late...

• Pj
    PJS1 Nov 29, 2010

Wish I could cancell our membership. But our cancellation period is way over.

• Di
    Dicko 7 Dec 05, 2010

Hi all
    We are having exactly the same problems in the UK. Diamond resorts are phoning every day with an automated system based from the US to hassle complaining owners into paying their maintenance fees. They are now threatening us with debt collectors. All are meant to push us into paying but are producing the opposite effects. What a sad bunch of conmen!
    However, I feel this is simply the desperate death throws of a redundant system attempting to squeeze as much out of its victims before it collapses.
    Timeshare is dead and it was suicide - scam owners and their thug lawyers killed it with their greed!

Bakersdozen Dec 05, 2010

What's happened to Patrick? Surely he has not given up? You know they say that the one thing that the devil cannot stand is to be made fun of. Perhaps we should all make fun of DRI and they will give up through sheer embarassment. Looks like Patrick has anyway. Or perhaps he has had an epiphany, decided to mend his ways, and get out of DRI. I do hope so Patrick, for your sake.

Vacation Owner Dec 08, 2010

It is good to see there are others concerned (Globally) with the current tactics being used to extort/Tax/Fee owners in to giving up their property. It is beyond the grasp of just a hand full of people to put a stop to these thieves. I believe there is sufficient cause to at least open an outside (Governmental) investigation in to the practices of some large TS "exchange programs". The consumers get it in the end again...

Patrick Duffy Dec 11, 2010

Dicko/Bakersdozen/Vacation Owner...Not everyone feels like you..
    Hi all
    Just spent a very pleasant two nights at Thurnham Hall, well we will
    have done after tonight. It was a last minute booking on Friday
    evening.The Marine Conservation Society booked their Christmas meal
    here in the restaurant on Saturday, so just just seemed a good idea.
    Three courses plus mince pies and
    coffee £19.95. It was super meal and plenty of choice. Bottle of
    wine £14.50, and that was excellent as well.
    And then we sat and chatted around the log fires in the big hall.
    We have used the pool and sauna on both days, and went for a very
    pleasant walk in the winter sunshine. The apartment is one bed two
    bathroom.
    Place is massive, one of the baths is a corner bath for two. TV is a
    high quality Sony Bravia,
    excellent picture, excellent sound and plenty of channels. We have had
    a surprisingly good weekend.
    Very relaxing
    Regards
    Mike from UK

Bakersdozen Dec 11, 2010

Patrick must be working hard here. Is this a member that wrote this, a poor scmuck like us that has been conned into paying thousands for points and now being regularly raped over maintenance fees? If it is, what substance did you drug the guy with? Or is it a member of the public booking in at a rental price which equates to one third of the maintenance fee?

Vacation Owner Dec 21, 2010

Perhaps Patty,

Perhaps you are right, not everyone feels like us. But if there is any doubt that there is more than the voice of three, simply scroll to the top of this page and type Diamond Resorts International in the search box and click search and the truth will set you free... The list goes on and on, how pi$$ed off many people are, these are not just a few sour grapes, this is your customer base telling you DRI sucks in many areas. That is why Patty is around on these Complaint Boards to try and extinguish any potential fires. All in all he is doing a good job with most of the sheep, but their are a few of us (black sheep) gifted with the ability to smell the bull yard DRI is pitching.

Just because you show us a few euphoric vacationers letters to patty. You think this is going to go away because someone had a good vacation. News Flash patty lots of people have great vacations, which has little if any thing to do with DRI. If DRI was dead and gone they probably would have still had a great vacation (they could book it on Expedia and $aved). DRI is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, they are nothing more than a bunch of used car salesmen grabbing as much vacation cash from any sucker willing to part with some.

You have killed the Timeshare industry which already sucked, you made it even worse great job dutrick puffy and DRI.