Diamond Resorts Internationalpressure sales and no availability afterwards

A

The high pressure sales "tour" we took not only lasted over 2 hours, but I would have sat there all day if I did not finally say OK to something they were selling. The parade of people that came to our table was unbelievable. Each one had some other offer or special only they had the ability to extend to us if we bought now. The approach they used was " the money we have on your credit card in good faith will not be refunded unless you comply with the full sales tour. This tour was to be no longer than 1 hour and included their sales pitch. The problem was, the sales pitch never ended and wouldn't until you said OK. I spent $700. on a Sampler package only because I was feeling over-whelmed and exhausted trying to defend my right to say "No Thank-you". I haven't even been able to book a 1 night stay in Sedona with the FREE 2 night stay given to me as a gift "The V.I.P. Traveler". The restrictions are innumerable and even if you can work around them they are always booked up full. On Oct. 20th a Tuesday night...What is going on in Sedona that all rooms are book at both resorts? I called to check into a few dates for the $700. Sampler Package I purchased and also had no luck with any of the dates or places I wanted to go.

There must be a case for a class lawsuit here. Anyone know a lawyer?

• Ml
    ML - Canada Mar 23, 2017

For myself and my husband we managed to get out of the ONE room (over 4 hrs - to which they accused us of wasting their time when we kept saying no and would like to leave) of high pressure tactics (after having to polity decline the constant parade of sales persons) only to be hit again when trying to leave and gain our so called gift. when we where assaulted again to BUY BUY BUY ~ to get out of there we did under pressure get the 4 day /3 night that we where told can be combined with the "Free 3 day/ 2 night invitation"! ha what a laugh called 7 days later to book the two 11 months from now and the FIRST thing out of the booking agents mouth was THEY COULD NOT BE USED TOGETHER! ~~ we where Lied to and I have requested a refund and Truly hope to get it but I am very fearful that I have a LONG fight on my hands.

They may have great properties but the way in which it is sold and the unethical tactics used GREATLY takes away from anyone that may want to buy.
    we asked for time to think, to review the properties and rating online --- when constantly pressured to BUY NOW should have sent me running because an honest business would not do that! Its sad very sad!

• Lu
    Luz ll Jul 22, 2016

I agree with the complaint. So far my experience is horrible the customer service of trying to book, and alll the false information provided at the presentation. I contacted Mr Duffy via email and phone call but no response. The Sampler they talked me into getting is not what they said it would be. They informed me I would have the same benefits as if I was buying a TS and even showed me a book with all the resorts I could go but well it's not true. Also I was dumb enough to talk my brother into it, because they said we would have the Club select like if we were getting the TS and get discounts in affiliated hotels and flights, but not true either. The cruise they gave us as a gift also they stated it would be available for my family of 4 but also false it's apparently only for 2 adults. At this moment by what I'm reading here I should go the legal way to cancel this sampler that I will not use. In reality I would just want to get out of this and they can even keep the down payment I gave. So I've heard that in Texas they are not in good standings too.

• Lu
    Luz ll Jul 22, 2016

Every post prior to mine is correct. The pressure, the so many people coming to your table to pressure you and even following you to the restroom to check who you talk to. The presetation for me lasted 3+ hours and I was promised that by me getting The Sampler I would have the amenities as if I was already buying, they showed be a book with all the resorts I could go and that made us decide that well yeah we could attend several of them so we could use this. Also that we would have the Club thing which would give us discounts in affiliated hotels and flihhts. But none of it is true. Added on that cruise thing I asked if I could take my two kids and they said that yeah it would be for all of us which is not its only for two adults. Since they had told me all of this I convinced my brother to get it too and they reassured him everything they told me which apparently it would benefit him when he goes to see his kids at Hobbs, NM. I know there is not a resort there but he could use the club thing to get discounts at the hotel he stays. Overall so disappointed with everything, I received a call from someone and just to pretty much tell me that it was on the contract n that I sign and I'm pretty much screwed, not helpful at all. I even tried booking for next March 2017 and nothing was available only in Virginia I believe, but I have no business over there. What can I do, would I have to go the legal way since no one seems to want to help from DRI.

• Sh
    SHIRLY143 Sep 03, 2014

DRI - Cancellation
    We attended their presentation in January, and were talked into the sampler packet tryout. However the next month we contacted the main sales guy (bold dude) and told him we do not want it. He insisted we keep and try out. And he said if we still dont want it, we can cancel it. we called back in April, and told him we dont want it. in the mean time i had paid 300 or so into it, but never made a reservation. he still insisted we keep it, and give it a shot. he even told us the best way to use sampler is by going to florida. we have been calling since then, every month to cancel it. the reps are so rude, and they hang up on you. This is just not a good time for me. i would have thought about purchasing DRI maybe, but after my experience this time around, hell no. its sad the kinda customer service they provide. they claim its mortgage loan. its not a mortgage loan, and i do not owe you anything. this was a service tryout, which i do not want to try out anymore. please cancel this and stop ruining my credit. i would appreciate a call or email from someone who can take care of this. its so frustrating. i simply do not want to try out their sample package, and i do not intend to invest into their timeshare anymore. if they can work with me peacefully this time, maybe by next year i can re-think their package...but its so hard to talk to their rude reps. in this hard economy people do not even know how to appreciate good customers.

please DRI, if you care about your costomers a bit, call me or email me:
    [email protected]
    [protected].

• Da
    Dana Close May 12, 2014

My name is Dana Close. My husband, Steve, has been going back and forth
    with you regarding the mix up with what we were sold by Diamond
    Resorts. We would like to obtain a refund of our 2700.00, unless we are
    able to go to Maui this June, as we were told.

Bottom line: As with the people in the above complaints, we were sold something that does not exist.

I overheard my husband talking with you. As I expected he was very
    polite and easy to deal with. I think you can tell by now that we are
    intelligent and reasonable people with an understanding of business
    transactions. We know that unfortunately you have our initials on a little
    line.

But, I would like to you to hear my perspective on this. This is one
    that my husband did not, and would not, share with you. I am making
    every effort to appeal to your humanity at this point. I respectfully
    ask that you look at this case as a human being, and not as an
    individual charged with looking at details of a contract.

Here is what you don't know: As we explained to our sales rep initially,
    we have a son who has been quite ill and physically challenged all his
    life. This trip was for him and the timing was critical. Our son was
    born with an immune deficiency which caused him to have severe allergic
    asthma, as well being unable to fight off viruses. He has been in and
    out of the hospital and on breathing machines and copious amounts of
    drugs all his life. He was also born with a deformity in his lower legs.
    Last summer we began the reconstruction process of realigning his
    bones. Needless to say, he spent much of his first year of high school
    in a wheel chair with pins and metal plates holding his legs together.
    That was only phase one. Phase two requires rebuilding both feet. And
    then back in a wheel chair for another school year. (I will certainly
    show you our hospital bills and his xrays in case you think I am lying
    to you.)

Steve and I promised our son that we would take him to Hawaii where he
    could breathe fresh air and snorkel around before he goes in the
    hospital again.

You can not imagine the level of disappointment we feel knowing we spent our precious vacation money with your company.

I just shared with you the amount of medical challenges our son faces.
    Believe me when I tell you that the financial burden (even with health
    insurance) is staggering.

So you see, to you, this trip is just another vacation that you sell.
    Just another 2700 bucks. Another contract and some strangers on the
    phone that changed their minds. It's nothing.

To us, it was a way to offer a bit of paradise to our child, who has been through hell.

So, again I appeal to your humanity. Please, don't drop the ball with
    this. Please give us our money back or, help us to get to Hawaii this
    summer like we were sold. But, do not take away our ability to provide
    our son with relief from this nightmare.

I hope you now see that this is much more than managing a problem
    customer. This is where things get real. I implore you to do the right
    thing.

Dana Close

• Br
    Bruce12 Apr 26, 2014

It continues to this day. I just returned from a 4 hour "Owners Update". Again they are using misleading tactics about the benefits of switching from a deed to a trust. They are really pushing the ease of getting out of your time share contract for your survivors upon death. They are reluctant to acknowledge that the full benefit of the trust is mainly for DRI to be able to take control of your asset at your death and resell it promptly. For me to give up this asset I only have to buy 2500 points at $5.03 a point. Hey if I use their
    loan deal the interest rate is only 16.99%!!!

Unlike some I am fairly flexible so I have only had isolated issues with booking. My original purchase was through Sunterra in Hawaii. Thank God Hawaiian law is pretty good for timeshare deeded owners. Do not lose your deeded ownership. I am not an attorney but without a deeded ownership the real estate laws are much more gray. Here are a couple of questions to ask should you decide to go to an "update".

1. Are you and your survivors a named "trustee" in the Diamond Trust that they are requesting you transfer your deed into? If not you and your survivors are transferring your asset to DRI.
    2. Is this a "quit claim deed" transfer?
    3. Where is the deed transfer to the trust being recorded? If you bought in a particular state and like the laws of that state the deed transfer needs to be recorded in that state. Otherwise, DRI might transfer it into a state with laws that benefit the DRI Corp verses the owner.
    4. Who pays the maint fees while the deed transfer is completed? Probably you and/or your estate.
    5. Can your survivors still book through DRI during the deed transfer process?
    6. What happens to current reservations and point value on the year of your death in the trust?

I hope this helps. There is a time to consult a real estate attorney. If I had a larger investment at DRI I would be on the phone to one.

Jan jones 36 Jun 22, 2013

I was just in Sedona June 20 for 24 hours
    My sisters and I were inquiring with various jeep tour companies the cost
    At the end of the strip we came across a red jeep tour co. Rep...we thought
    Asked questions about a jeep tour and was invited to receive free jeep tour in exchange for a 90 min commitment to diamond resorts tour...declined until offered that and free lodging that night
    Next morning I did my part but then was greeted by a nice young man who recently lost his daughter ... Among other tragedies! I felt like we made a connection
    Tho the offers were attractive I cont. to say NO, I CAN'T
    then in comes the manager, we too made a connection... I was offered a friends and family pkg...too good to be true
    I said no
    Then lastly, a corporate rep enters...I was special...I cave... It was all in a hurry
    I kept saying...my head is spinning
    My family waiting on me
    Then I get a whole in my stomach
    Signed contracts...
    I read these posts
    Now I am sick
    I think I have 3 days to rescind
    I plan to notify them and do just that
    It was too fast and I am in no position
    If they were genuine as I believed surely this can be resolved

• Le
    Les.E Jul 11, 2012

Dear Les Mulvania:
    Thank you for contacting Diamond Resorts International®.
    We are sorry to learn of your negative experience at our newly acquired Mystic Dunes Resort. However our records indicate you participate in our Trial Membership Program, Sampler.
    Although we would like to help make this situation better, we are not able to from this department. We apologize for this inconvenience . For the most accurate and efficient assistance, we ask you to direct all inquiries to the Sampler Department directly. They may be reached, toll-free at 1.888.208.6025.
    Should you have further questions regarding this or any other matter, you may reply to this email or contact our staff at [protected] from the US or [protected] from the UK. Thank you for your request, and we look forward to serving your future vacation needs.
    Sincerely,
    Joseph Scott | Direct Guest Correspondent | Diamond Resorts International® | Tel: 877.374.2582
    Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Hello Robert;

I would like to share my first unpleasant experience at the Mystic Dunes Resort, Celebration, FL.

I understood that I must stay at one of the 13 Sampler locations to enable the access to ‘The Club Select’.
    >We arrived at the resort at 4 PM and were in the room at 5 PM.
    >It was about 95 degrees F and we wanted to relax with a beverage.
    >The freezer was turned off, I turned it on and expected ice in about 12 hours.
    >I could not find an ice bucket so I used a pitcher and went to the building vending...no ice machine.
    > I called the desk and explained the off freezer and requested ice to be delivered.
    >After 45 minutes of waiting I drove to the check-in and asked the concierge for ice...he said he does not do ice...and sent me to the club house.
    >The bar tender at the club house(contract service) gave me a bag of ice.
    >I returned to the room at 6:30 PM, and someone had placed a bag of ice in the freezer.
    >I turned on my computer and found private WIFI only, the office said they do not have WIFI, and to use the ethernet. The ethernet was so slow I turned it off.
    >The next morning I opened the freezer to find the ice had melted...
    >At 7 AM I went to the check-in and asked for a new room, and we packed_up and moved.
    >The ethernet was laboriously slow, 15 minutes to open a MapQuest graphic...
    >We went to the obligatory meeting a 1:30 PM, in a room with a dozen tables, back_ground music and children.
    >I asked if I could have access to Interval’s 2000 locations and was told I would have to purchase a Membership, the Sampler was good for Diamond Club Select only on a week basis.
    >We told Milessa that we did not plan any week long visits in the near future and wanted 2 & 3 day stays. We found that we must pay for 8 days...
    >Milessa simply wanted to discuss the power of points, she never asked if we were having a pleasant stay at Mystic.
    >So, for $11, 000 we get 2500 points and must spend $787 for HOA (at 5.38 dollar conversion HOA costs 4234 points, per year and no price protection).
    >We told her that the Membership did not fit into our plans and we wanted out of the program. I asked about the $2295 I paid for the Sampler and was told I could use the points...
    >She said I must sign a release, I asked why and release from what... she then left, so my wife and I went to the Golf Course for an attitude adjustment.
    >At 6PM when we returned to our room, our access card did not work. We went back to the check_in and asked for new cards, some gal for the back returned and asked us who changed our rooms, I told here about the freezer and the clerk at 7 AM that morning.
    >I checked_out the next morning and asked for an ‘evaluation sheet’, I was told I would receive it in my E-Mail folio. There was no evaluation sheet.

All in all, it was an unpleasant experience, and my wife and I have no desire to return to a Diamond Resort.
    If anyone asks me about Diamond Resorts, I will explain my $2295 Sampler experience.

Les Mulvania

• Bo
    boski Jul 07, 2012

My wife and I attended an Update session a few days ago and declined to purchase additional points. Then the "Corporate Guy" came in and told us that if we purchased his Sampler for $2295 we wouldn't need points in the future since we could use the Club Select resorts for cash at deeply discounted rates. The Sampler provided 15, 000 points (applicable to a specific sub-set of the Diamond properties, valid for 18 months which he said would be extended if needed). After the first Sampler points vacation we could book any resort within Club Select for cash. He stated Club Select access would be valid forever, even if we sold our existing points. The business rationale cited was we would draw new members to the system when friends/family vacationed with us over the years.

I am concerned that resort availability will be a problem when I actually try to book, both the 15K sampler points and Club Select, that the Club Select access will be altered or costs much higher than rates cited in the book corporate showed us (which included resorts from Marriott and several other companies). Does anyone have specific experience with the above issues? I can still cancel my purchase for a few more days.

I have had several good experiences with DRI resorts, but do question whether the value is commensurate to the cost incurred. I realize many people are disgusted with the TS industry in general (and DRI in particular in light of recent events). I also own a Hilton Grand Vacation Club timeshare, Hilton seems a little less sleazy to me than DRI.

• Ay
    Aysha68 Jun 03, 2012

I have attended w/ my husband a DRI presentation today. We were promise over the phone a spinning wheel prize that would consist of one of the following prizes:
    1) Tickets for Disneyland.
    2) Tickets for Carnival Cruise.
    3) Three days, two nights to Las Vegas.
    BE AWARE...this is not true. The receptionist that was suppose to make assist us with those prizes told us that they did not did the spinning wheel anymore. Can you imagine, if they are already lying to you from the start...I can't really imagine what else can they be hiding once you purchase their time share.
    Sooo HAPPY I got out from it before they could convince me.

GOOD LUCK to all the honest people that got involved with this scam.

Aysha

• Es
    esoterrik1 Nov 16, 2011

I was lied to by my sales rep as well during our sales tour. He finally got me to buy because he said that I could always change my mind during the 30 day escrow, and if I didn't buy now, then I'd lose the deal forever. So I figured, why not, I can always just cancel. I called to cancel within the 30 days and then I was told that I was unable to cancel. I was stuck with it now, and I can't even afford it!

DRI is the biggest scammer in the world. Don't ever purchase a timeshare from them!

Vacation Owner Nov 06, 2011

MauiJim

I agree, I have been saying it since last year this house of cards is going to fall. DRI will not be able to survive if they do not get their cash infusion at the beginning of the year. If the Hawaii collection and the points folks cut off payments it will cripple DRI CASH FLOW. DRI gets a BUTT LOAD of new inventory they could not give away on a good day and we flush the turds once and for all.

The duffster left last December and I am guessing they have been moving their money (used to be ours) in to those cayman accounts (not St. Maarteen I'm sure). I think the folks at the Point are gonna get some legs on this one... (I told you duffenbeck, you are crooks and it will all catch up with you) bye, bye...

MauiJim36 Nov 05, 2011

Vacation Owner - well said...
    Did Mr. Fluffy go back to the nest?
    Wow, I hate to hear all the bad stories about Diamond Resorts and their programs. In my humble opinion, they are converting the deeded owners into the points system and putting their deed into the trust where they control the votes. It gets ugly and its only going to get uglier. Expect those MF's to go up until you are priced out. Think about it, you pay the big bucks and they use some of that money to make the resort nicer and then when you can afford the MF's anymore, they sell it to the next person.
    The Hawaii resort owners are going crazy right now with all the assessments that they just found out about. $65 million dollar repair bill to be spread amongst the deeded owners and the Hawaiian Collection owners...
    www.poipuowners.org
    and look up Point at Poipu Angry Owners on FaceBook

Vacation Owner Sep 28, 2011

albatros

must be a TS salesman for DRI, you know not of what you speak. First of all DRI purchased the majority of their members (Remember Sunterror 450, 000 members) DRI saw this as a cash cow, blank check and purchased Sunterror for more than twice what Wallstreet valued the near defunct public company. DRI imeadiatly began jacking up MF's 30% to 40% annually. Where in any TS sales scam pitch would they even include this interesting little factoid.

As to your comments that WE should not attend such presentations "just say no", some TS promoters LIE to you to get you to attend. Then there are some folks not unlike myself who did tell DRI and Sunterror "NO" and still DRI is able to extort there outrages fees on our HOA (Home Owners Association just in case your ignorant too) at my home resort of which I get to pay my share to the tune of $1, 400/yr from $595 in 2006.

So Mr. Albatros explain to me how I should have avoided this misery DRI has bestowed up my family. Taking my original TS which I purchased before Cloobeck dreamed up his big scam, voided most of the benefits originally part of my package like use of sister resorts in Tahoe and Kauai in order to try and persuade me to give them my Fee Simple deed for their magic mystery points. I said NO and now my TS has no value because nobody in their right mind would say yes to taking on this ALBATROSS.

As I said you know not of what you speak... DRI is a intelligently planned out SCAM that is fleecing ALL of it's members (some members are just not aware they are being scammed...yet) Those folks that claim how great DRI is are either fooling themselves or they have more money than they need. I can almost guarantee that is not the majority of folks.

The point is AL you are talking out of your A$$ on a complaint board regarding a complaint against a company for which you claim you have no involvement (by omission) which leads me to believe by your earlier comments you are one of those lying $ales rep ba$tards.

BTW it's spelled ALBATROSS and if you look it up their is a picture of Cloobeck hanging around my neck.

Bakersdozen Aug 01, 2011

The worst thing about my whole experience with DRI is the fact that it has damaged my trust in human nature.

I normally trust someone until they give me reason to do otherwise. It makes business move much more easily. It's also a more pleasant way to be. However the whole DRI experience means that whenever I meet an American salesman in future, especially in the travel or holiday area, I will assume that he is trying to cheat me until he can prove otherwise.

How about a return to common decency Albatross. Or is it now very uncommon?

• Al
    albatros Jul 31, 2011

what surprise me about all those remarks and complaints concerning the long and unbelievable presentations is the fact that nobody forced you to attend those so called "update presentations" . indeed, they presssure u to attend them but the same way u say NO TO BUY! i m sure you can say NO TO TOUR!!! but you can t say that coz they offer you free stuff and goodies to tour that you cant selfishly refuse! so next time dont be so CHEAP and accept the fact that you put yourself in those situations and and nobody forced you to attend those presentations n STOP blaming the reps or the companies for such actions!! im sure there are good and bad stuffs about everything same as happy and unhappy customers at diamond resorts int., matter fact i read good feedbacks about diamond resorts on other sites!!! so bottom line if they offer u a gift for a 90 mn tour say NO thank you and move on and let other tours that are interested on purchasing instead of getting a disc. on a cheap ticket to a show !!

• Gb
    Gberto Jun 02, 2011

I have been reading many complaints about DRI, if you still have concerns about DRI please go to http://www.diamondresortsowners.com/.
    Thanks
    Gbert

Bakersdozen Feb 18, 2011

PATRICK DUFFY FOUND

He is still alive and well and living in Las Vegas. Seems to be spending a lot of money on coloured squares. I am sure that is a comfort to all of you DRI victims out there. http://weeklyseven.com/feature/2011/january/27/patrick-duffy

Looks like you have a pretty good life style Mr Duffy.

Bakersdozen Jan 30, 2011

Ah Patrick: I see that you are buying up Tempus Resorts INternational. Is that what you are doing with our money!

Another 40, 000 victims for you to feast upon. I guess that you will be changing their terms as well.

If you are a "member" of Tempus, you will find this site very useful: http://drip.webs.com/

We will help you to cope with your Diamond Resorts problems. We look forward to talking with you.

Bakersdozen Jan 27, 2011

This lack of availability for members seems to be a common theme.

Here in Europ, e whilst it seems difficult for points owning members to book space in resorts in Tenerife, there is no problem booking space in the same resorts via Expedia. The thing which is really annoying is that the Expedia pricing is only about one third to one half of the amount we are being asked to pay DRI in "maintenance" fees.

The evidence against DRI management is building up here. These people seem to be ripping us all off on a breathtaking scale.

Why is it that no law enforecment agency is investigating these rougues? They is so much smoke that we are all choking on it. There must be a fire... and a highly sizeable one, at the centre of all this.

Come on Mr Duffy... explain what is going on. It now seems that you are up to the same tricks across your range of properties.

What have you done with our money?

margherita Jan 25, 2011

We are all having ths same problem every time we call for reservations they never have any. We purchased a 2 bedroom in 08 and can not even reserve one in Maui.Also have a 1 bedroom we have lost a lot of points as we had a death in the family and a sickness, They really do not give a DAMN. Spent hours on the phone and its the same thing different rep to help or phone no longer in service. IN Hawaii they said that they had them on every island if you notice if and when you do get one they sure do not look like the ones that we purchase. And we always call early for a reservation sorry no Time Shares, Good luck to all of us.

• Dr
    Drummin Jan 19, 2011

I agree with all of the complaints that people have posted. My husband and I were lied to. We have rolled over much of our points each year because of no availability. DRI is a P.O.S company. They give you this pitch how you can go on dream vacations but to be honest, this has been a nightmare dealing with these lying, cheating SOB's. It's nothing but a SCAM! Maintenance fees are out the roof and not only that, the places that I've stayed have not been impressive at all. DRI is a crap company. Last year in August we tried to make reservations to a resort and they said that I couldn't use my points. It was interesting because the resort had vacancy but DRI told me the only way to book was not use my points but to rent out one of the units and the cost was around $900. If there are vacancies and I have points, I should be able to use them.We pay to0 much for this crap to rent out a unit if I can use points. By the way we purchased 4000 points and we usually roll them over each year due to no vacancies!

Vacation Owner Jan 08, 2011

NO TS

You are full of BS, you say you have won back the members money on everyone you have helped. How many people have you taken money from that you were not able to help? You are not saying much, because as you said you do not take every case that contacts you. I am guessing you only take the low hanging fruit cases like the guy who signed up in the last 5 days.

If you are such a great guy and so willing to help those fine folks that have been hosed over by TS developers then you would not need to advertise people would be banging down your door to get out. And since you are such a nice person and wanting to help why don't you share with us how much you charge up front and/or after settlement? Instead you post your little spam bites knowing there are some desperate folks in dire straights that might just take the bait.

I do not have a problem trusting people, I am just able to see through the lies that people in the TS biz spew and you sound like you are on the backend of your TS sales carrier and starting a new carrier riding the trend of folks wanting out of TS because the big developers are hosing us over. I Can't say your not smart in that regard, a bit unethical but greedy folks don't need ethics.

CVO

P.S. TS Developers do not give back money once they have stolen it!!! Not sure what money your winning back for your clients.

Bakersdozen Jan 08, 2011

Do you see Patrick? What a community of spammers your activities have spawned? Now, thanks to you, no-one trusts anyone anymore.

Vacation Owner Jan 08, 2011

NO TS

STOP SPAMMING your [email protected] here.

NO TS will also steal your money and help you get out of your TIMESHARE maybe...

Bakersdozen Jan 05, 2011

DRI and Mr Duffy have gone strangley silent. Is this an admission of guilt Patrick?

Bakersdozen Dec 25, 2010

Christmas greetings and good cheer to all DRI sufferers. Whoever you are, I am thinking of you. May 2011 give you freedom from oppression. And may the DRI executive receive their just desserts!

Bakersdozen Dec 23, 2010

So then why has Cloobeck been appointed to such an exalted position within the American travel industry in the Government? When he should be being investigated for his business practises in any world where natural justice holds sway?

Is it that once you have made money in America you are respectable? Even if you made it by creating misery and desperation for tens of thousands of people?

Vacation Owner Dec 23, 2010

AMEN... Preach it BD

I am sure my Hawaiian deal was not the best in the world, but it was nice and I had access to several other properties on other Islands and even state side. These were some of the reasons for which we did make a decision to purchase a slice of paradise from a Reputable company (Embassy Suites Vacation Resorts at that time). Then along came Suntera which was short lived as they ran in to some LEGAL ISSUES with their POINTS system which devalued their share price and DRI took advantage and bought Suntera at around $14.00/share. This on its own was a good business decision instantly giving them a huge market share. The problem is DRI treats its members as nothing more than a revenue stream and you better not be late with their revenue or you get to pay more...

Within one or two years our FEES began to rise sharply, The Duffy speak they give for this is that the fees we were paying were not in line with industry standards. I can only guess that they were referring to the DRI industry standards they have been setting for themselves and we just needed to be brought up to those standards. So I guess if you are the one regulating the industry then you can charge whatever you want, right.

I'll keep telling those looking in to a life with any time share or exchange company, RUN do not drink the cool-aid, it is 2nd grade math and it does not take 90 minutes to explain

$15, 000/week owned (or more) for your points
    $ 1, 200/year/week owned (and more guaranteed as time goes on)
    20 years @ $1200.00 is another $24, 000.00 ( most people will only be able to vacation for about 20 to 25 years and not necessarily consecutively)

so now you take your total investment in your vacation ownership
    15, 000
    24, 000

39, 000 or about $2000.00/week (Just for your accomodations)
    or $285.00 a night

Now go to Expedia, Travelocity or whatever your favorite travel site and see what you can book and some of those properties you can book online are the same ones that DRI manages along with RCI and other exchange companies and you wont be beholden to just one company for you vacation needs. Example we just recently stayed in Sedona, Az at a nice place for 150.00/night. I have always been able to get a room from one of the online travel sites previously mentioned.

The Timeshare Industry has begun to self implode, people are giving away their timeshares because they do not work the way the 90 minute presentation sells it. Save yourself and your family the money and misery of being stuck with one company and their limited (and often not available) choices.

My two cents

Bakersdozen Dec 22, 2010

To start with GVC delivered, not good, but acceptable value for money if they delivered what they promised: 5 star accomodation at times to suit us (to quote the brochure: "Holiday where and when you want"). I would say it was OK but not great.

Since then the annual costs have gone up by a factor 4 and the quality and availability have gone down. All in all the value delivered to annual cost ratio has changed by about a factor 6.

So the problem is not with the original deal, it is with the changes that DRI have engineered without the express consent of their customers. They have some amazing legal advisers it would seem, able to bend the law to their needs. I remain amazed that they have been able to do all of this without being investigated and prosecuted. Is the American justice system asleep? Doesn't America care?

Dicko 7 Dec 22, 2010

Hi all
    Bakersdozen illustrates that these DRI points were conned onto the buyers by this scam of a company and their misrepresentation of the product (duffy talk). To sort it out is very simple -return the money back that was conned from the buyers. Or to put it another way - I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW!

Bakersdozen Dec 22, 2010

Well it kind of worked OK until DRI turned up. Maintenance fees are at a level that is four times higher than we signed up to. We were told at the time that they would increase broadly in line with inflation.

It is not the idea of time share that is flawed, it is the business ethics and morals of the DRI management.

Here in England, we tend to trust people until they give us cause not to. Cloobeck and the American way have led me now to think that I have to start with the assumption that someone is trying to trick me.

What a depressing view of the world.

I read recently that we are massvely richer in the UK today compared with the 1950s. Back then, even though we were still suffering the effects of rationing from WW2 and materially life was grey and drab, the feeling that people were helping each other meant that the feeling of well being was much higher.

The real evil of DRI is that the behaviour of its executive acts as a cancer on trust. Rather than helping each other, we start to eye each other warily like wild animals in a cage. Certainly I am not going to trust another American travel company again. Especially since Mr Cloobeck is now effectively a Government representative promoting US travel.

The only remedy is for DRI to be investigated and, if found guilty of wrong doing, prosecuted. I think that they are guilty by simply looking at the overall money that they have taken from me versus the "value" that they have delivered. To restore my faith in American justice, they need to be called to account for that.

• Ga
    gailbeatty Dec 21, 2010

If timeshates were so good, the industry wouldn't have to work so hard to convince people to buy them. I'm pretty hard to convince, but they got my husband and me for a Sampler while on vacation last summer, and only by putting on unrelenting pressure and posting on line did DRI cancel our contract and refund our deposit. Wake up! NO ONE needs a timeshare. If you want to go on vacation, pick a location and go there. Have a good trip and when you come home, you'll have your memories and your photos, and no endless payments. You can start saving your hard earned money for your next vacation instead of pouring it into the timeshare company. PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, but I think it's more than one per minute judging by the number of suckers who have bought timeshares, and their little cousins, the Sampler. And I include myself in that group.

Dicko 7 Dec 21, 2010

Hi
    I WANT MY MONEY BACK NOW!

Vacation Owner Dec 21, 2010

Perhaps Patty,

Perhaps you are right, not everyone feels like us. But if there is any doubt that there is more than the voice of three, simply scroll to the top of this page and type Diamond Resorts International in the search box and click search and the truth will set you free... The list goes on and on, how pi$$ed off many people are, these are not just a few sour grapes, this is your customer base telling you DRI sucks in many areas. That is why Patty is around on these Complaint Boards to try and extinguish any potential fires. All in all he is doing a good job with most of the sheep, but their are a few of us (black sheep) gifted with the ability to smell the bull yard DRI is pitching.

Just because you show us a few euphoric vacationers letters to patty. You think this is going to go away because someone had a good vacation. News Flash patty lots of people have great vacations, which has little if any thing to do with DRI. If DRI was dead and gone they probably would have still had a great vacation (they could book it on Expedia and $aved). DRI is not the greatest thing since sliced bread, they are nothing more than a bunch of used car salesmen grabbing as much vacation cash from any sucker willing to part with some.

You have killed the Timeshare industry which already sucked, you made it even worse great job dutrick puffy and DRI.

Concerned Vacation Owner

Bakersdozen Dec 11, 2010

Patrick must be working hard here. Is this a member that wrote this, a poor scmuck like us that has been conned into paying thousands for points and now being regularly raped over maintenance fees? If it is, what substance did you drug the guy with? Or is it a member of the public booking in at a rental price which equates to one third of the maintenance fee?

• Pa
    Patrick Duffy Dec 11, 2010

Dicko/Bakersdozen/Vacation Owner...Not everyone feels like you..
    Hi all
    Just spent a very pleasant two nights at Thurnham Hall, well we will
    have done after tonight. It was a last minute booking on Friday
    evening.The Marine Conservation Society booked their Christmas meal
    here in the restaurant on Saturday, so just just seemed a good idea.
    Three courses plus mince pies and
    coffee £19.95. It was super meal and plenty of choice. Bottle of
    wine £14.50, and that was excellent as well.
    And then we sat and chatted around the log fires in the big hall.
    We have used the pool and sauna on both days, and went for a very
    pleasant walk in the winter sunshine. The apartment is one bed two
    bathroom.
    Place is massive, one of the baths is a corner bath for two. TV is a
    high quality Sony Bravia,
    excellent picture, excellent sound and plenty of channels. We have had
    a surprisingly good weekend.
    Very relaxing
    Regards
    Mike from UK

Vacation Owner Dec 08, 2010

It is good to see there are others concerned (Globally) with the current tactics being used to extort/Tax/Fee owners in to giving up their property. It is beyond the grasp of just a hand full of people to put a stop to these thieves. I believe there is sufficient cause to at least open an outside (Governmental) investigation in to the practices of some large TS "exchange programs". The consumers get it in the end again...

Concerned Vacation Owner

Bakersdozen Dec 05, 2010

What's happened to Patrick? Surely he has not given up? You know they say that the one thing that the devil cannot stand is to be made fun of. Perhaps we should all make fun of DRI and they will give up through sheer embarassment. Looks like Patrick has anyway. Or perhaps he has had an epiphany, decided to mend his ways, and get out of DRI. I do hope so Patrick, for your sake.

Dicko 7 Dec 05, 2010

Hi all
    We are having exactly the same problems in the UK. Diamond resorts are phoning every day with an automated system based from the US to hassle complaining owners into paying their maintenance fees. They are now threatening us with debt collectors. All are meant to push us into paying but are producing the opposite effects. What a sad bunch of conmen!
    However, I feel this is simply the desperate death throws of a redundant system attempting to squeeze as much out of its victims before it collapses.
    Timeshare is dead and it was suicide - scam owners and their thug lawyers killed it with their greed!