Zale Jewelers / Zales.com / unethical behaviour

Date of attempted return- 1/10/18
Trans/Reg#: 128628/1
Store#: 1987
assoc#:103307

I came to Zales to purchase an engagement ring. Just so happen that there was a promotional deal going on for one day only. The staff told me how lucky I was to get this opportunity. They had a jeweler there who was setting diamonds into bands on the floor. The two sales associates that i worked with told me how good of a deal this was and that it must have been fiat. I was under the impression when i walked into the store that the diamond and the band would get sent off to get set. Seems like pretty standard procedure. But after the staff telling me about the promotion, they convinced me that i should do the promo and have the ring set there. This entire time, not once was i told that by doing this i would not be eligible for a return. I had a witness with me at the time who can also collaborate this story. I was lied to. I would have never made this purchase if i knew that i could not return it. My total purchase was 5369.65 and i payed over 2000$ upfront. This is unjust and i deserve a refund based on the poor job of the staff. They did not do there job.

Do
Jan 10, 2018

Comments

• Sh
      Jan 10, 2018

Hi Douglas. Appreciated reading your concerns. I'd like to help out.

Did you receive anything based upon terms of purchase? Is there a lucky lady attached to this ring? More importantly, is there a lady still expecting an engagement ring?

• Do
      Jan 10, 2018

@Shaun R. Hi Shaun, thank you for the speedy response. I read all the wrong signals. She’s not ready to be married but that’s ok. I decided to use the money from the ring to take her on vacation with. I did not receive anything out of the ordinary.

• Sh
      Jan 11, 2018

@Douglas Ritchie Hi Douglas.

I'm glad to know there's still a wonderful lady in the picture. Beyond everything else, that really is the most important thing.

Unfortunately you should never make a purchase with the assumption the merchandise can be returned. Far too often one may assume the right to undo a purchase contract when, in fact, the right to do so really does not exist.

You might consider selling the ring to cover some of the costs. Unfortunately there's a negative stigma associated with an engagement ring that's been refused. Combined with trying to sell the ring quickly, you may take a somewhat difficult loss in the transaction.

Have you considered holding onto the ring for the day when she is ready to tie the knot?