Xoom Money Transfer / Unresponsive, irresponsible

I had a infuriating experience with Xoom recently, where I initiated a transfer (type: bank deposit) on Thu Feb 26, 10:42 PM PST. The bank account belonged to the aunt of my recipient.

After 6 hours of seeing the transfer sitting in the queue with status "Transfer in Progress, " while my recipient was frantic because the funds were needed for a medical emergency, I emailed Xoom Help to see what the hang-up was, but received no reply.

Almost 20 hours after I initiated the transaction, with still no progress, I cancelled the transfer. This was Fri Feb 27, ~6:00 PM PST. I then initiated another transaction (a cash pick-up this time) to another go-between of my recipient.

Can you guess what happened? Yep, both transactions were paid. The first one was completed almost TWO DAYS after... AFTER!... my cancellation request. So it ended up costing me twice what I had intended to pay.

Yet when I complained to Xoom, they had the audacity to claim that "Your transaction has been completed before your cancellation request."

Object lesson: Never start a replacement transaction until you're absolutely certain the previous one was canceled and your money refunded. These guys have no soul, and they take absolutely no responsibility for their screw-ups, even lying if necessary.

Better yet, use Western Union.

Lp

Comments

22nd of Mar, 2009

I had a infuriating experience too with Xoom recently, I've initiated a transfer using credit and was charge $60 for processing. I had to send money to the philippines at 1am on a sunday PST for an emergency. and I chose standard processing for they say : If your transaction is urgently needed, Standard Service should be considered. why do I have to pay $60 when the money is not there after (is now 10:26am) still no reply.
    why do they have a 24hour pick-up. I know I shoud've used western union. it never fails me. money is there in minutes after sending. I called customer service but all they can tell me is that transaction is still in process just like what it says on their tracking system. I am so upset!!!

• Mi
      29th of May, 2009

Xoom, this is the worse money transfer company ever, last week I try to send money to China, because they said the money can pick up in post office, so I told my sister go the post office on they website to pick up the money, but you know what, the post office in china don'n even know Xoom, they never hear this company before, so I get so angry and call the customer service and they have no idea what they talking about and tell me to ask my sister go the other city to pick up the money, oh OMG, I never see this happen in my life, I can't even believe this is happening. I can't rally describe how I feel, just go use this company, you will got screw

• Pa
      13th of Aug, 2009

Yes, they ripped me off, too! Don't ever work with Xoom. They make false promises and are very unresponsive...

• Li
      20th of Sep, 2009

You hit it dead on. The people who work there have no soul and are scrupulous and make no apologies for what they do to their customers. Not only that they are also uneducated and one of the main reasons they hang up on people who are trying to get their issues resolved is because they are uneducated and don't know how to fix the problem, oh and maybe even putting your money in their pocket or account.

• Li
      20th of Sep, 2009

Western Union ROCKS!! Never had a problem with them, and it is worth a few extra bucks and get the security and confidence in knowing that my money is in safe hands and WILL (not vanish into thin air) get to where it is suppose to be going ON TIME!! WESTERN UNION ROCKS...XOOM=THIEVES/ MAJOR HEADACHE /STRESS...WESTERN UNION = SECURITY & CONFIDENCE w/ your MONEY!!!

• Iv
      29th of Sep, 2009

I was surprised how quickly the first time that I sent money (2000.00 US) the transaction was done the same day within minutes. Unfortunately, the second time the transaction took several hours (I chose the quick service using a debit or credit card) and I had to cancel, XOOM withhold the money and got it back not until FIVE business days later. Thinking that the last time was just a "Technical issue" I decided to try again, this third time the transaction has been DELAYED for FOUR days, they of course have withdrawn the cash from my account so I have no choice but wait and hope anytime soon my once thought "quick" transaction will be completed at some point. Just a nice advice to anyone that is looking for fast, reliable service to send money abroad: "Have XOOM be you LAST choice".