X-Treme Scooters / False Claims

Cincinnati, OH, United States Review updated:
Here's another big, fat sucker! I paid $399 of hard earned cash for my screw-job from The Scooter Guru!!

Out of the box I should have known better. After installing the handle bars and filling the tank up with gas I was ready for my first ride. After jumping aboard and rolling on the throttle... The rpm's went up as I slowly rolled to a stop! No air in the tires!! Startup said nothing about checking the air pressure. Needless to say, the rim spun within the tire severing the inner tube stem where it protrudes from the wheel. The tube was now trash. I spent about an hour or so removing the wheel, sprocket, rotor when the pig metal tools stripped. I bought new tools. Contacted the Guru and the new tubes are of course, on backorder and should be in in 2 weeks. It's been 3 weeks so I bought a new tube at Lowes. Installed it (what a be-atch!) and made my first test ride. Seemed pretty peppy, but the brakes were not adjusted correctly, if at all! I adjusted or tightened more nuts and bolts on that thing than I have fingers and toes!!

The seat, nice feature, well... if you like to be dumped off the back of the scooter! You can tighten and retighten all you want. The metal simply stretches and lacks the notches required to achieve a non slip union. I replaced the seat with a Bell and it was fine.

Now on to the gas tank. The bolts will vibrate loose after only an hour or two of riding. I found the rear bolt magnetically attached to the starter motor. I had to replace them both along with the spacer sleeves also using LockTite on the threads. First go 'round didn't hold, added more LockTite (crossed fingers and toes).

While on my second tank of gas, oh yeah, the claim to +20 miles per tank must be for a 50 lb Chinese kid (who probably assembled this scooter) on a 20 mile downhill slope. This engine does like the gas! I weigh 210 and I think I got about 7-10 miles on the first tank. I'm not sure of the capacity of the tank, but let's say it's about a quart (1/4 of a gallon). This would mean the an average 28-40 mpg. That sucks considering the vehicle only weighs 50 pounds!!! Equate that efficiency to a small car weighing 3000 lbs and that is 0.017 mpg or better represented as 58 gpm (yes - that unit of measure is "gallons per mile"!). Check my math!!

How 'bout that "dual front shock suspension system". Nice eh!? Completely false! There is no shocks, simply a flexible plastic part that resembles a dust boot on a real shock. The forks are static (fixed). The only suspension you get is in the flex of the tires. That's it!

Which bring me to the claim "The XG-550 cannot be broken". All that stress goes directly to the frame and it can be broken. All you need to do is ride it, just normal everyday riding, on streets and sidewalks. I'm only on the second tank of gas here folks! I'm 6'-0" and weigh 210 lbs. The specs reflect that a rider of my size should be no problem. Well, I noticed a new bounce in the ride. The welds at the back where the frame meets the deck broke. The Guru said he would put a claim in and I should here something in two weeks on whether they would replace the unit or replace the frame. I'm pretty sure of what the verdict will be.

So here's some really good advice. I consider myself mechanically inclined. I can fix just about anything. Unless you intend on spending a lot of time and money installing parts and correcting design flaws for the life of this scooter, RUN! Run as fast as the wind, the other way! This unit is made of only the best, malleable "pig" metal that China has to offer! Perhaps this is where they are disposing all their excess "LEAD"...
Sl

Comments

Jo
  28th of Jan, 2009
Alpha sales
I was very surprised how quickly this product was delivered. When it was delivered the box looked a little beat up and it looked like someone had re taped the box. I had figured the item was used or broken and was displeased until I opened it. Everyone hears the horror story's about ordering something online from a company you haven't done business with before. My daughters x-250 came out of the box in perfect condition and a snap to put together. This scooter is incredible, it is very powerful too. I don't usually take the time to complement someone on a job well done, but you deserve it. Please e-mail me if you have any special offers on your electric or gas powered skateboards. You get a rating of 5 out of 5 from me.

Thanks again, Joe