West Broad Volkswagen / diagnostic testing is a rip off!

1 United States

My engine light was on in my 2002 VW Jetta. I took it to the auto shop I usually use and he couldn't find anything wrong after running a diagnostic test and apologized that I would have to take it to my dealer (West Broad Volkswagen). He didn't charge me anything. The dealer said I would have to pay $82 upfront for the testing which I agreed to; then I received a call back saying they couldn't find anything wrong and would need to charge another approx $100 for more diagnostic testing. I asked what happens if you still don't find anything. I was told they would. Again, I recd another call to charge for additional testing at again approx another $100. At this point, it was $200 and still they hadn't discovered the problem. I told them no more and to get my car, I had to pay the bill. I have since asked the company to show me proof they did the additional testing and they haven't. The service manager said I was causing my car more problems by driving it since something was wrong??? I have since put 2500 miles on with no problem. I feel it is wrong to be charged for something that I don't even know if it happened. This diagnostic testing is a "rip off".