Washington Gas / gave my account away

1 Washington DC, United States Review updated:

In September/October 2007 Washington Gas cancelled my Washington Gas/Washington Gas Energy Services account and gave it to another individual but using my address and my account number.

When I discovered the mistake I hurriedly sent off a check for my budget account amount. I called both Washington Gas and Washington Gas Energy Services and was stonewalled. Finally in mid-November and very tired sounding customer service person told me she would try to straighten it out with "accounting" but I needed to know they were outsourcing customer service to the Phillippines.

I wrote a letter to Washington Gas and cc'd everyone I could think of: My DC City Council Rep, The Washington Post and the Mayor. I was connected to the DC Office of the Peoples Council who started negotiations with Washington Gas. There is a law in DC against slamming.

I thought some progress had been made in January but it was illusory. They have not credited me the $225 I paid, they keep billing me for both gas and distribution (slamming requires that I pay only distribution) and they have not given me back my budget account. In fact there has been no written communication, just bills and scary notices.

It is now August 4 and I have received two Notices to Disconnect, one July 3 (right before a holiday, how nice), and one August 1. I now have the DC City Council, the Counsel to the DC City Council, the Office of the People's Counsel and much of my time involved in fending off these arrogant suits.

I need a referral to an attorney who knows how to deal with these people.

Comments

• Da
      19th of Aug, 2008

We are going through the same problems with Washington Gas. If you do find an attorney who can help please notify me and maybe we can file a class action lawsuit against them. This all started with my wife emailed Washington Gas in October of 07 and verified the account number that was originally given to us. They verified it was correct then months later, after many payments, we recieved a letter of discontinued service. This is how we found out our money was going somewhere else. Instead, Washington Gas changed our account number with notifying us. They have almost $400 of our money and refuse to refund or apply to an outstanding balance that is their fault. We filed a complaint with SCC and now we are getting calls that they will terminate our service next week. I have never delt with such unprofessional people before we also informed them that we have a new born which they apparently could care less. We even have bank statements proving we paid. Doesn't matter to them. Help!