Volkswagen Of American / poor customer service

United States Review updated:

I have a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta with a 4 year 50k mile warranty. August 2010, two weeks after the 4 year warranty expired, my check engine light came on. At this time I only had 34k miles well under the 50k. I ran the code and it specifically said that the cooling fans were malfunctioning. I called Jim Ellis Volkswagen in Marietta, GA and explained my problem. I was essentially told to bad and they could not help me because the time on my warranty expired even though I only have 34k miles. However, he did tell me that if I was over on the miles a little he could do a warranty repair. He admitted that they can make a concession for one and not the other? Really?

After doing research online, I discovered that this is a common problem with the 2006 Jetta as others were having the same problem without resolution with the company. I then notified Volkswagen of America and explained the problem and frustration because I should not be having this sort of problem at 34k miles and 2 weeks post warranty. I spoke with Courtney, and after answering a series of questions she told me to take it to the dealership and pay for a diagnostic and call her back. At that point they would make a determination as to whether they would help me out. I again explained to her that I already knew what the problem is because I had the code checked and it was very specific. In addition, my cooling fans were operating erratically that further supported the diagnosis. She then went on to say that my research on the internet was unreliable, but if there is a common problem, there could be a recall. After going back and forth with her, she finally said that Volkswagen of America would not help me and that I am on my own.

I told her that was poor customer service and that I will never purchase another Volkswagen again. In addition, that I will tell as many people as I can potentially costing Volkswagen of America tens of thousands of dollars by discouraging potential buyers. Salesmen will tell you anything to make the sale!

Please contact Volkswagen of America and share your thoughts with them.

Me

Comments

• Po
      Oct 14, 2010

Your warranty expired. That's bad luck, not bad service.

Jul 19, 2011

You are a liar or have no idea what you are talking about. The on board diagnostics system on that vehicle or any vehicle does not have the ability to "specifically" tell you what is wrong with the car. Where the cooling fans bad? Was the computer controlling them bad? Was the relay to them bad? Did a rat chew on the wiring to them? This is why you pay highly trained technicians to diagnose the concern and repair it. Your car was out of warranty, good will was offered and you refused because you are a stubborn, cheap jerk.

• Je
      Mar 29, 2016

Went in to simply get my fuse fixed, made it abundantly clear that I look after my own car and that was all I wanted done, I just didn't know how to do it.

Volkswagen proceeded to keep my car for almost 3 hours making me late for several other appointments today, and charged me for a full blown inspection of the vehicle too. So I've now paid close to 100 dollars for a 5 dollar fuse. Fantastic!