Vitalchek / scam

Ordered a birth certificate for my mother. Provided her maiden name of course. The payment was through her credit card, which is under her married name. Unfortunately this company processed her order under her married name so of course there is no birth record for that name. They said the info was entered with her married name which is so untrue. Any excuse to keep your $ and not provide the product. I will be in the process of finding a way to receive a refund. Also don't try calling their customer service #. You will be on hold forever.

Ce

Comments

• Vb
      11th of Mar, 2011

I've seen so many complaints and was concerned about ordering my birth certificate through VitalChek, but I needed it quickly and it seemed okay since the county's site said to use VitalChek to pay with card online. So I took a chance and I am very, very pleased. The site says if you order it through regular mail it takes 7-10 business days but I ordered mine on Monday (3/7/11) and got it today, Friday (3/11/2011) in the mail. I'm not sure what's going on with all these people calling it scam and/or having problems getting certificates through VitalChek but I have absolutely no complaints. Maybe some people are not entering information correctly or something? I don't know and I feel bad for those having problems but, in my opinion, VitalChek is definitley NOT a scam. Good luck!

• Si
      13th of Dec, 2012

I purchased a birth certificate copy through Vitalchek. Once I hit the payment button, a box popped up stating that I had to get a document notarized and fax it in. I have to pay for a notary, and pay to fax it in. It would be less expensive to drive into one of the Government offices and just purchase the copy. Within minutes I tried to cancel the order and another box popped up and stated that I would still be paid the $7 processing fee. Okay, I did read this was non-refundable, and I would have never canceled had they been upfront about the fact that I had to jump through hoops to get the certificate. When I called Vitalchek, everyone seems sympathetic, but they state, "The fee is non-refundable and it states that on our website." I then brought up the fact that I was unaware of the requirement until after payment. Several of the customer service people claimed that each state is different, so it would be difficult to tell before. I then asked hoe are they able to tell me as soon as I hit pay?? They all then apologize. How about fixing the problem?? Well, then they couldn't dupe people into paying first! They asked A LOT of personal security questions, leading you to believe that this all you have to do to get your document. Very BAD practices.
    Update: After all of this and not receiving a refund, I have already canceled, and I checked with the State I live in to get the birth record. It's just a form online and it gets faxed in, so Vitalchek is charging you for nothing. They get the form from your states website!! They claim on their webpage that they are quick and convenient. I talked with the Office of records in my state, and they said Vitalcheck just give you the same form on their website and has you fax it to the same office that my states website has you fax to. They do absolutely nothing, except take your money!!!

• Vi
      30th of Dec, 2017

This person's complaint jibes with my own experience. I ordered a death certificate for my father in November 2017, was told that it was posted in the mail November 29 but here we are December 30th and still no death certificate. I asked them to verify the delivery address because it is in France, and I received an automated response asking for information about my stepmother not included in the initial application for my father's death certificate. I feel Vitalchek leverage people's need to obtain vital records information but they are definitely NOT a reliable source. Just a waste of time and money!