Vitalchekpoor service!

K

On June 8, 2007 I placed an order for an expedited certified copy of a Birth Certificate for travel purposes. My credit card was billed on on June 14, 2007. The certificate service was advertised as being delivered in 7 days - 2 weeks. It has been 30 days. Although I was issued an order confirmation number and directed to track the process of my order I have not been able to do so online. The New Jersey status page link has been unavailable and so has VitalChek's site. I contacted VitalChek via email and was told that my order was processed and I should receive email confirmation soon with a Fedex Tracking number. I have had no such contact and that was 15 days ago. This company now has my money as well as vital statistic information and a copy of my driver's license. At this point I do not believe that they are providing the service they advertise.

RESOLVED

• VitalChek Network's response · Nov 18, 2011

VitalChek Customer,

Please contact me directly at [protected] Ext: 86879 for assistance with your outstanding order.

David Butler
    VitalChek Network, Inc.

• Ac
    ace que Nov 11, 2018

I regret ordering a birth certificate from this company. Huge warning to everyone do not use this company.
    You will never, and I mean never
    Get through. They will leave you waiting for over an hour then hang up. Been trying for days.

• Wm
    Wm C. Patterson Aug 28, 2018

These people suck!!! They took my money for a certified birth certificate and sent an absolutely useless piece of paper!!! It's not accepted by any agency for anything!! They also make it virtually impossible to complain, they never answer their damn phone either!!!
    2.5 hours at opening any supposedly "still experiencing high call volume"!

• Ju
    Julie Ritter Oct 30, 2017

I ordered from this company about 2 years ago and it was no problem. I received the birth certificate in 30 days. I only used this company because it is listed on the PA.Gov website. I ordered a birth certificate on August 2nd. It took them less than 24 hours to charge my card and it is now Oct. 30th and I have not received my birth certificate. They keep saying PA is backlogged and keep extending the time it will take to receive the birth certificate. I just wrote to PA.GOV and told them to please take this company off there website and choose another company. They are a terrible company to do business with and PA should be ashamed to have them listed on their website. I will definitely not use them again!

Susans Smith Mar 11, 2016

I ordered and paid $40 for a birth certificate document which I never received. When I checked on the status, my order had been cancelled... No explaination. I have asked for a refund (not holding my breath).

• Ji
    Jim Smitley Nov 26, 2015

I ordered a copy of my original birth certificate. I had just went to my Health Department and paid 10.00 for a copy, witch is a standard form. I want the original because it has the time of birth. VERY UPSET. SPENT 37.00 FOR NOTHING

• Re
    Reviewer87400 Oct 14, 2015

provided the same information 3x's...received D/C yesterday and an e-mail from VitalChek saying they received the documentation and would review same in 24 to 48 hours...incompetents...I received the document I ordered...they can go pound dirt.

• Je
    jewelz1985 Oct 05, 2013

This company sucks. They need to get a better life than to play with peoples money. I am not going to recommend this company to anybody. They need to find a life of their own.

AnnoninTexas Mar 20, 2013

Any web site that collects Credit Card information prior to checking if they can process your order is a ripoff. This practice should be made illegal. They charge your credit card even if they do nothing...all other legitimate business would never think of charging you if they could not help you. How do the dumb masses allow this to continue?

SusieQ2002 Nov 17, 2011

Ordered birth certificate 2 months ago. Used link from Louisiana State Records Site. No birth certificate, no help...but they did charge my credit card right away!

Summer P Jul 14, 2011

I was weary about using VitalChek because of these complaints but, after calling the State office where my daughter was born...I had more help at VitalChek than I did the Commonwealth of Virginia! I ordered my daughter's birth certificate on 7/12/11 at 1pm ET and they told me it would take about 10 days for them to process AND ship the birth certificate. After having a conversation regarding the complaints on this website, and they are aware of all the complaints, I realized that it seems like people are impatient and not understanding that you are receiving overnight or 2nd day shipping AFTER your order has been processed which can take up to 10 business days depending on the state. Therefore, it does NOT mean you will receive your order overnight or on the 2nd business day after placing the order. I did mention to the lady that it would be wise of them to state that information BEFORE anyone starts placing an order and NOT when they are on the shipping screen of checkout. That is where everything can become confusing and misleading. Well, as I mentioned above my order was placed on 7/12/11 at 1pm and I just checked the order status. It will be arriving via UPS tomorrow, 7/14/11.
    One thing that really upsets me is that the state themselves are redirecting you because they are LAZY!!! If I had been in VA I would have just gone and gotten her birth certificate. But, I'm not driving 5 or 6 hours to go get it. The price of the VitalChek was cheaper than the gas. I really think this is a ridiculous practice for any state that uses VitalChek because, VitalChek charges twice, or 3 times in my case, what the state charges "because they can" and i think that is completely ridiculous!!!
    Basically, you pay VitalChek, VitalChek verifies the identity of YOU, sends the information to the state registrar, the STATE then processes AND MAILS it to you. It is NOT VitalChek that mails you anything!!! So, if you are waiting on something...you might want to check with the state and find out why it hasn't arrived on time. But, keep in mind some states are slower...aka lazier than others.

• Te
    TeresitaG Jun 28, 2011

I ordered 2 copies of my birth certificate in March and after requesting the tracking number (which they said they didn't have) I still haven't received them. They say that it was delivered by UPS I asked who signed and they said it wasn't necessary to sign to receive the envelope. Still trying to get a straight answer. Any suggestions?

• Je
    jervis Jun 22, 2011

With regard to State of Nevada... It's a rip off no matter how you cut it... Pay exorbitant fees for vital check and get it in 2-3 weeks maybe longer or never or wait 6-8 weeks if you go through the state office... Honestly? 6-8 weeks?...You pull it from the file, make a copy and stamp it...is it that hard? 20 min tops... and you wonder why people have the opinion of state workers they do. Anyway, $20 will get you a copy if you go through the state.

Probably best to plan ahead and avoid vital check.

• Pi
    Pissed off Cunsumer Jun 03, 2011

Stay away from vital check.
    I did not receive the birth certificate and no refund .
    Complaint to BBB but Vital Check did not respond to them .
    They just want your money .

• Co
    cossaboom Apr 04, 2011

i ordered a death certificate from vitalchek on jan 2nd. here it is april 4th and i have just what i started with, nothing. ive called and spoke with every possible person and all anyone could do was put me on a run around.im not sure if its all vital chek or the vital records places by states bc everytime i called to check the status of my order in the city of where i ordered it from they told me all my paper work had been approved and we just had to wait the days for it to get sent. it wasnt until i had to keep calling and calling and calling that finally unprofessonal "supervisor:" at the ny vital records called, just april 2nd to inform me there are no records on file. 1 i paid and they wont give me a refund 2 she said she mailed a paper stating that, three months later i have no paper stating that and 3 how n the hell do you not have a death record in your system for someone who died in 1989.i mean really i can pull it up under the public records on line.i am furious!!! they havent heard the last of me!!!

• Po

April 1988, TN

Type of Business:

Searchers of Records

BBB Accreditation:

VitalChek Network, a LexisNexis Company is a BBB Accredited business.

Additional DBA Names:

officialtraveldocuments.com
    VitalChek Network, A ChoicePoint Company
    Vitalchek Network, Inc.

• Vi
    Victoria MT. Jan 30, 2011

I used vitalchek in 2007 and received my son's birth certificate within the dates indicated online. I found the service to be very useful. Sorry to hear that so many had a bad experience. It will be interesting to see what will happen since I just used them again Jan 2011 for two different birth certificates from two different states. Will keep you posted.

• St
    steven ball Jan 17, 2011

worst company ever. order was cancled and i was not informed. now its martin luther king jr holiday and i cant call anyone. i will never do this again. moral of the story is to never loose your birth certificate.

• 2p
    2pissedoff2care Dec 28, 2010

I too was a VitalChek victim, but caught it in time, after making after making several calls to the OR. DMV, (who I can't believe originally referred me there). I was actually in the middle of the form, and it said regular mail options were available, but there were no links or buttons, and I refuse to pay $19.50 for next or
    3-day air with UPS, especially after reading some gobble-de-[censored] explanation about guaranteed safety of mailing sensitive documents..it's an excuse to promote their partners' interest and revenue, at our expense. we deal with the government by regular mail every day, all year, including DMV, State Emplyment Dept, Vets Admin, Soc Sec Admin, etc.. Anyway, i wrote to to their email addrss twice, and the guy on the other end couldn't even write correctly, and clearly refused to directly answer my questions about the validity of the documents and their refund policies. Finally, in mid-order, I cancelled the request, and downloaded a mail form at the Dept of Health for Ill, , which will take 4-6 weeks at best, and comes to a total of $15.00, not $50.00! (I'm just going to follow the exact instructions on the mail form about what document copies to include, and I should be home free...definately, a cheaper, more practical solution; especially for those who don't wan to deal with 3rd party B.S.! (an old adage comes to mind and serves as great advice, so here it is: "when in doubt, always go the source"), in this case, that means dealing directly with the agency you're trying to get the data from. With all these complaints you'd think our govt. agencies would look into it. I'll bet if someone were to go on "Opra" and talk about it, their orders would decrease, and their stock would definately go down! (LOL)
    End~

• Al
    Alfred E. Spriester Nov 06, 2010

A death certificate was ordered on 3 Nov 2010 for Lillian A . Doyle and UPS delivered it but the information is incorrect. The certificate I received is for Lillian D. Doyle not Lillian A. Doyle. What can be done to make the correction?

• Kl
    klrleigh Aug 30, 2010

No aplogies here towards VitalChek, I ordered a death certificate while researching for my Grt- grandfather who had no head stone for his grave. After finding out the VA would put a Civil War Headstone for free, I ordered the headstone. But VitalChek didn't come through. Lost $15 out of it but thats not important, I just hope the VA will accept the Funeral Home's interment records as proof of birth and death date. Thanks for nothing VitalChek.

• Ho
    honeyhoney Aug 20, 2010

I had a completely different experience with VitalCheck! I ordered my birth certificate (for my passport) Monday afternoon (8/16), I selected express shipping, and my birth certificate arrived Thursday (8/19) afternooon. I'm in NYC- not sure if that makes a difference or not, but the service isn't bad for 38 bucks!

• Sp
    spite my face Aug 16, 2010

I am going to lose my job because I was promised my birth certificate 4 days ago...so I can get my drivers license...out 60 bucks, no cert, called all the numbers, no help, no money, no cert, soon-no job...I am sooooooo screwed...can't stop crying...just got a good job...

• Lo
    Lola Girl Aug 10, 2010

Me and my fiance are going to our honeymoon out of the country, I have a passport but he doesnt, I ordered his birth certificate a monbth ago- and still nothing. Everytime I call (and wait on hold for an hour) I hear the same thing, its on its way! ANd the automated service has said "it will be processed in the next buisness day" the "next" buisness day has been 30 days!!! Im soooo pissed. This company needs to be stopped!

• Ji
    Jimroberts Jun 18, 2010

Very slow.Not whats advertised. And even endorsed by Dept of Health with their link on their website. They take your money today but you won't get a certificate till the Dept of Health gets it, which takes 2-3 weeks. They'll also send a UPS tracking #. But UPS won't show it even in the system. It can take upto a month to use these "middle men". Stay away from them and read the other complaints from customers and BBB. Just go to the Health Dept and do it for about 60% less fees. THe Health Dept will have it before Vital CHek.

• De
    Dee OKane May 18, 2010

I'm livid, I've ordered my kids' birth certificates and faxed them my ss number and photo copy of my drivers license... the company keeps emailing me, saying they never received my fax. This is sooooo frustrating. Thanks so much for whoever posted their direct phone number... it's a 30 minute wait to talk to anyone but hopefully i will.

WHAT A SCAM...

• Al
    Aligirl May 06, 2010

My husband needed his birth certificate quicly, so I placed an order online, within 5 minutes I had the confirmation number, this was on May 4, 2010, today, 2 days after I placed the order, I recieved a call stating that the certificate would be delivered today via ups. I did get it and everthing was correct! Perhaps those having problems are not filling the forms out correctly, or mispelling something! I have had no problems with vitalchek and would go through them again! Especially when we recieved the certificate much sooner than expected, we would never have got it in 2 days had we gone through the state!

• Ym
    Ymart Apr 22, 2010

I requested my Birth certificate from these con artist and they have yet to deliver my birth certificate. they dont even have a contact number on their website after searching the web i finally got the number for their parent company and have been on hold for 45 minutes these people need to be repremanded immediately I DO NOT recommend this company to anybody at allll i am highly upset these people are expert con ARTIST and i mean that in the highest sense of the word!!!

• Ac
    aceming Apr 12, 2010

i order my grandson birth certificate on april 5 2010. and it states pennsylvaia received the request on april 7. lets see if i get it 10 business days later. so i write give you all a up date on april 20, 2010. sometime you have to go on faith.

Director -Official Records Mar 23, 2010

Here is a message that one of our managers got from a customer who used VitalChek recently. This is the kind of thing we see often.

"I got a call from a different customer that used Vitalchek and she said they charged her $40.00 for a copy of her divorce papers. When she got the copy, it was not even a copy of her divorce, but rather someone with a similar name. So she was out that $40.00, plus she still needed to send us $10.00 for her divorce papers."

Director -Official Records Mar 23, 2010

We regularly get information from our customers for this county that people use this service and sometimes even after spending a lot of money, get the WRONG document.
    I must suggest that you go through your county Clerk of Court office, State Vital Records Department or Town Clerk's office to obtain the records that are necessary.
    This is an add on cost that is not necessary. Contact your local government agency and bypass this group, who simply comes to us. Not always with the correct information and not always on a timely basis.

• We
    Westchester New York Mar 22, 2010

I read all of these reviews but decided to take a chance anyway since I needed certified copies of my son's birth certificate ASAP. Vital check delivered exactly as they promised. Within a week I had a UPS tracking number and the certificates arrived 3 days later. Absolutely no complaints about their service.

DismayedDebba Mar 19, 2010

they suck

DismayedDebba Mar 19, 2010

Well, it's March 19, 2010 now & things have not changed. Vital-chek still SUCKS!!!
    Misery loves company, so I feel so bad for all you guys as I DO feel your pain, but now know I am not alone. I've been trying for over a month, to the tune of over $80.00 tp get my husbands birth certificate! Will now try the phone #'s I found here, if they're still valid. GRRR! I, too, will contact my local Better Business Bureau (Oregon). No contact #'s & 3 days for a reply to an E-mail query is BS, especially in this day & highly computerized, DSL, age!!!

MAD/UPSET Mar 10, 2010

I ORDERED A BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM VITAL RECORDS AND THEY TOOK MY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION AND THEN DIDNT ASK ME ANY INFORMATION ABOUT WHERE I WAS BORN, MY PARENTS NAME OR ANYTHING. AND NOW THEY ARE TELLING ME THEY WILL NOT REFUND MY MONEY... WHAT IS THIS, ISNT THIS AGAINST THE LAW?

• Tr
    trisha83 Mar 05, 2010

i agree with everything i have read . this doesn't make any sense for people to take your money and not do what they are supposed to . i am on hold with them now for 30 minutes and i am not hanging up this is a bunch of "bull" i didn't even get an order number . i think this company need to be closed nor do they do what they say but charge your card and force you to wait ...i am pissed if i knew i was going to go through this i would have just went to California and got it myself

• Gd
    G-Dawg Jan 29, 2010

I had excellent service from Vitakchek.
    After reading reviews I was a little scared but i needed to get my birth certificate right away. Requests made through the state or county had a time frame of around 20-30 days. Driving across the country to retrieve it was not an option.
    I placed the order and faxed in the requested documentation. An hour later, I received an e-mail confirming that my request and documents have been received. The next day, I received a tracking number for next day delivery. As promised, UPS delivered it the very next morning. So the entire process took about 3 days.
    I am very pleased with the services from Vitalchek. I am not sure why so many people have had problems...perhaps they are not following instructions thoroughly?

G

• Db
    dbufano Jun 27, 2009

I have had very good service from Vitalchek with one major exception. Italian dual citizenship requires the long form or book copy of a birth certificate. I chose "Dual Citizenship - Italy" for a Maryland and a Michigan birth certificate. Both came back with abstracts, not the correct form. It was nearly $75 and a lot of time wasted. I am hoping for some kind of refund from them.

Don

• Go
    Goodlukk2 Jun 17, 2009

I had to get a Birth Certificate for my son from another state and it so happened they went through Vitalchek. I needed it quick and decided to try the online ordering. After placing my order on Monday afternoon and paying a high overnight shipping cost, I started looking at Vitalcheck on the net and saw hundreds and hundreds of bad comments. I got worried and just knew that I would never get the certificates. Then Wednesday afternoon, 2 days later, I got a call from the Vitalcheck cpu system letting my know that my certificates were going to be delived today and gave me the tracking number. Just as promised, UPS showed up shortly after. I am not sure if I am lucky, or maybe the company has solved some of their problems, but I cant say a bad thing about them. They did what they promised and did it quicker than promised.

• To
    Tonya May 21, 2009

I ordered a copy of my daugters birth certificate on March 18th 2009, I had it sent by regular mail as I wasnt in a big hurry. I was told to go to this site by my local Health Dept. They immediatly billed my credit card for $17.50 and stated that I should receive it in 5-7 working days. At the end of april I was trying to find a phone number to ask where the certificate was and found it on this site since there is none on their website or any other way to contact them. I was told at that time that vital records would be contacted and if the birth certificate could be released would be mailed. On May 21st after still not receiving the certificate I called again wanting a refund of my money. I was informed that not 1 but 2 birth certificates had been mailed to the address I had submitted and that I could not get a refund due to it being sent by regular mail and there was no way to track it. I first told them that they shouldnt offer that type of service since there was no way to determine anything and they probably did it for that reason and I then threatened to turn them into the BBB and contact the Health Dept office and alert them that they shouldnt be giving this bogus companys address out for this purpose. I was still told that I could not get a refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Once the supervisor got on she pretty much stated the same thing until I once again threatened, she then told me she would contact vital records and see if another certificate could be sent, she was not sure that a 3rd copy could be, I gave a different address and now Im waiting once more. Oh and I waited 10 minutes before I was ever put thru to talk to anyone.

• Co
    coyotegirl May 02, 2009

Freddy, I'm glad you got your cert. I just got off the phone with their 800 number, and it's some dude on a cell who says "call back" - maybe you got lucky, but I need my cert for travel and I'm getting screwed. The state of CT will hear from me for putting the VitalChek link on their site.
    Stacey