Venus.com / shipping to canada - duty / tax info not correct

1 Canada Review updated:

Re: canadian orders

If you order online they will send you an email saying that all canadian orders are subject to duty and taxes upon delivery. This is not true!
If asked, do not pay upfront duty fees to landmark global!

I order online all the time and maybe 1/100 times you will get charged duty. However they said that if I didnt pay $8.29 cnd for duty/taxes to their affiliate company landmark global that I would be charged an additional $8.50 processing charges on delivery along with whatever duty/taxes I was charged on delivery. Basically pay duty/taxes now and save the processing charge or pay duty/taxes on delivery and also pay processing charge. So I figured they must know what they are talking about and paid the charge to their company landmark.

My mom also placed an order, by phone and was never told about an option to pay ahead with landmark. She expected to pay duty fees upon delivery. (We both had items shipped to same address and her order cost more) her order was left at her doorstep and she did not have to pay any duty fees whatsoever!!!

So I called the company and they said landmark is a shipping company that handles the duty fees and pays them on your behalf to the government. By choosing to use landmark you also get your package sooner. None of this was mentioned in the email they sent. The email only said that landmark was used to pay the duty fees ahead of time. The email said nothing about landmark being a shipping company.

Had I known that there was a chance I would not have to pay duty/taxes, I would never have chosen to pay ahead with landmark. Venus has 0 knowledge of how canada customs works and should not be shipping to canada.

Sa
Jan 13, 2017

Comments

• Al
      17th of Jul, 2018

Very similar thing happened to me! I’m in CAD and didn’t realize they are not CAD friendly. Throughout the shopping process and on my receipt it didn’t say it was $US anywhere (despite having searched Venus $CAD). There was an additional shipping fee, and a little later I received an email with two more charges: Duties and taxes. In the end I paid nearly $40 more than I expected to for a swimsuit.