Van Ru Credit Corporation / Phone calls for my dead father

My father passed away in 1997 with no outstanding debts. My mother passed away in 2003 with minor debt that was quickly cleared. In 2008, I began to get phone calls from Van Ru for my father -- a full 11 years after his death. When I informed them that he was deceased, they insisted that they needed a copy of his death certificate. I refused. They called so many times that I ended up setting up call-blocking on my home phone. In 2009, they began calling again with a different number. Blocked that one, and they called with yet another number.

I finally put on my sweet voice and called the last number, asking for the spelling of the company name, could I please find out what this was about, etc. They never identified themselves as a collection agency, I found this out by going online. They said they wouldn't stop calling OR give me any information about the nature of their calls until I provided them with the death certificate.

I'm torn about whether I should do this, because I'm afraid they will then come after me for a non-existent debt.

Comments

• Ne
      24th of Aug, 2009

just tell them the person they are trying to call does not reside at this number and forcefully tell them to NOT CALL THIS NUMBER ANYMORE. Then send them a "cease and desist letter". There are a lot of places on the web where you can get a wording for one of these. You can punch it up as you like but don't go overboard...keep it sweet and simple. THey sound something like this. "I have been contacted about a debt that theoretically SOMEONE ELSE OWNES YOU. You are hereby notified to NEVER CONTACT ME OR ANYONE ELSE I KNOW OR ASSOCIATE WITH ABOUT THIS DEBT. ... YOu just go and get the wording. I think CLark Howard's web site has this info onit. (Consumer watchdog). SEND IT RETURN RECEIPT MAIL. Also tell hem if they want a bloody death certificate they can go and pay for the bloody records themselves. (Death notices are public info, though I dont think just anyone can order one, and they cost money. But there are ways companies like this can look up for deceased persons to satisfy their proof. They just don't want to do the footwork or pay the expense. The hack calling you is on a commission and he wants someone else to do his job for him.) Now you will still probably get one or maybe two calls beyond this even though they know it is illegal. The next one just tell them you'll be notifying whatever govt agency monitors this (see Clark Howard's site), and that their call is ilegal and they have been told not to call this number. They won't push it more than twice, and probably not even twice. They will only push it for as long as it takes to get the return receipt letter of "cease and desist". Also, in the cease and desis letter, don't go into details about your dead father. Its none of their business. All they need to know is that you are not the person to be contacted and they already know which govt agency to contact to find out all they need to know to clear their case.

SHort and sweet...legal mumbo jumbo. Return recepit or it wont stop. It will cost you $5 postage but its worth it not to have to deal with them.