Valspar / Guardsman / Fooling around

My ordeal with Valspar/Guardsman began late January, into Feb. I first purchased my protection plan from Bob's Discount Furniture in 2005 For $159.00. At the time of purchase they stated this plan covers virtually all accidents. Well 2 yrs later I had some people over, they were fooling around and two accidents occurred. One was a burn and the other a tear in my couch. I contacted Guardsman, being honest- I stated I did not see either event occur, but knew it happened that night. The women was quick to say they would cover the burn, however they couldn't cover the tear because it was at the seam and I did not see it happen (saying that it was a "manufacturers issue"). After arguing back and forth, she finally stated that a supervisor would review and return my call, which they did and left a message while I was working. So I called back, was kept on hold for about 10min only to be transferred to a voicemail for "resolutions." Well resolutions didn't return my call after a week so I called again (each time I called I had to wait on hold ~10min). During that week a woman came to fix the burn- she scrapped it off then put some fabric glue over it. She checked out the tear and stated "I fix stuff like that all the time." So she called her company and they refused her request to fix my tear, "saying my request was still being processed." Anyway, so I had to contact Guardsman after a week of not returning my call-only to hear the woman agree with me this time and once again send someone to review my request. Another week goes by, then someone calls saying I have to send photos of damage, I agree and send the photos that weekend, including an email of my ordeal to the company. Well its been a month and I have not heard anything from Valspar/Guardsman regarding my request. I have written this to discourage people from buying a furniture protection plan- it is not worth the hassle or money-esp with this company!

Va

Comments

St
  30th of Apr, 2008

I totally understand your frustration.. We also purchased the Guardsman Protection Plan from Gardners Furniture and because I did not report the problem that I found just by chance in a week of finding it, they will not cover the problem...

TOTALLY FLOORED..I HOPE THAT PEOPLE LOOK AT THESE THREADS BECAUSE I WILL DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO MAKE SURE I TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE NOT TO PURCHASE THIS PROTECTION PLAN FROM THEM!!!

Stephanie.

Mi
  27th of May, 2008

GAURDSMAN is a Scam...just search google. There are millions of people saying how they do nothing. So many people complained about them. I dont know how they stay afloat?

Mi
  11th of Jun, 2008

Valspar Guardsman appears to be an embezzlement operation for the purpose of taking money from consumers who want to protect the appearance of the furniture they have purchased. The obvious long-wait before anyone shows up to do the work, followed by the excuses as to why the work cannot be done is nothing short of a scam. In calling JohnHPerez Services, who dispatches the Guardsman personnel, it is not surprising that typical responses on the phone are, 'I don't know' and 'I'm not sure.' If disbursements for damages, failure to perform, or a class action suits are existing, please add me to the list! At the very minimum, if justice is not done, they could at least try to hire courteous and professional people.

Je
  23rd of Aug, 2008

Guardsman's Protection Plan is not a scam. I am a service technician and I service well over 1, 000 claims for them each year. Claims that were initiated by the customer within the terms of the agreement. Yes, there are exclusions. Yes, there is a time frame within which a claim must be initiated, and yes, they do deny claims that do not meet the criteria that is very expicitly stated in plain english in their plan documents. If the retailer from whom you purchased your furniture oversold the plan or did not give you the plan documents which explain the plan, then your problem is with your retailer, not Guardsman. The Guardsman customers whom I service are, overall, extremely pleased with the plan they purchased and the way it is serviced.

Ka
  4th of Dec, 2008

I have the same problem with Guardsman. I purchased two leather recliners from a furniture store in Huntsville, Alabama and got the warranty on both. I noticed a tear in the leather, went through the steps to have it repaired and was denied twice. I wrote a letter to executive review board and they denied me also. I just went online and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I don't know if it will do any good but I will no longer use Guardsman products or Valspar Paint.

Da
  28th of Jan, 2009

I filed a service request for discoloration on my leather sofa that I bought in Ashley’s furniture in Orlando; it was denied with the excuse that type of damage is not covered. When I asked them to tell me what is covered, they told me among other things that if I had dumped nail polish remover on it, they would have covered it. I can guarantee that if I said it was nail polish remover they would tell me is not covered. Also since I made this claim on that sofa the will not cover another leather related claim. I will not buy this protection or any protection again for that mater. I'll go to the furniture store and if something is not done, I will not longer buy any furniture from Ashley’s furniture again. If they want to do business with scammers like GARDSMAN, I will not do business with them

Ga
  14th of Feb, 2009

Yes Jennifer Hawkins at guardsman is a total freak she steals money from all service technicans they steal from the public as much as they do the service technicians. If you are a service repair company dont work for them they steal and cheat the techs. Jennifer if you read this ho fawk yourself.

Le
  9th of Apr, 2009

From Len A:
We purchase a loveseat-duo recliner from Bob's discount furniture 8 months ago. Recently we noticed a rip in the leather and sent in the service request to Guardsman, on time with description and pictures of the damage. They dispensed a service technician from Tri County Furniture to see our damaged furniture. He took pictures of the love seat, the damages, sold us "Leather Master" cleaner for the furniture and made a call to his company to reschedule an appointment to repair the rip. Within days we received a rejection of our claim from Guardsman because "the reported damage on your furniture is not covered under the terms of the protection plan". When questioned Guardsman said the damage was from wear and tear!?!
We contacted Bob's discount furniture and they sent out their own technician who clearly recognized the damage was due to MANUFACTURER'S DEFECT and was covered under Bob's one year warranty. Why didn't Guardsman tell us that at their visit and inspection.? An attempt at a total ripoff! Shame on you Guardsman.!!

St
  2nd of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Guardsman is a scam. We purchased a bedroom set from Bob's also (notice the connection, Guardsman and Bob's) downloaed the form and sent in the request a day later. Waited about three weeks only to recieve a letter telling us that our claim was baseless, because they could not help us out. The bedroom set is less than two years old and we purchased the service for incidents like this. I fault myself, as my motto is always "You get what you pay for"! I will never shop at Bob's again. For the piece of mind, great service and just knowing I will be satisfied with my purchase I vowed to take my business elsewhere!

Mr
  24th of Nov, 2013

Guardmen UK have been out to my letter 3piece suite twice before for miner stitching and loose frame and repaired satisfactory but have submitted claim for leather lifting /peeling after several calls made by me and being given the run around was told over the phone that my claim had been rejected due to no apparent incident and then it was not a single incident even though being reported as soon as noticed. I am now in the process of going through complaints procedure but I am sure will no get a favourable result. But be assured I will certainly pursue this matter to its conclusion through the courts if required. I advise others with grievance to do the same as many claims are won against this immoral company.