US Passport Agency / thousands of dollars wasted because passport arrived late!

I submitted my application for a passport on March 2nd through my local passport agency. After being told it would take approximately 6 weeks to get back, I sit here devastated more than 12 weeks later. The passport 'might' arrive the day of my departure which does me absolutely no good. There is no complaint department I could be forwarded to (surprise, surprise) so apparently I am just screwed. The government has cost me more than $2000 because they are understaffed and incompetent. If anyone knows if there are any other venues for complaints, please let me know. This is entirely unacceptable.

A  4th of Jun, 2007 by
I leave on June 10th and they are saying my girlfriend and I might have them on June 9th. MIGHT.

We ordered ours at the beginning of March as well. They told us we'd have them by May 23rd... so we made our travel plan for June 10th - June 21. This is entirely uncalled for. I feel like I was lied to.
N  5th of Jun, 2007 by
I applied in march 19th. As of today i still do not have my son's passport. The people answering the phones are more than incompetent. DON'T WAIT FOR YOUR PASSPORT!!! CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN OR GO TO A PASSPORT OFFICE ASAP. Don't believe them when they say it will be there tomorrow... it never will. In less than two minutes i had my congressman's aide expedite my passport.
A  5th of Jun, 2007 by
My now husband and I applied for our passports March 4 and March 7, respectively. We were married May 26th in Kentucky and were planning on leaving for our honeymoon May 29th for Mexico. At the time we applied, we were told that we would receive our passports within 10 weeks. When we had not received our passports May 11th we emailed explaining our situation and the urgency in which we needed our passports. We were emailed back May 14th with a message that said our passports were being expedited and would be expressed mailed when complete. When we still had not received our passports on May 22nd we again called. We were told that a message would be sent to the office in which our passports were located explaining the urgency and were told that they would be sent over night to arrive either Friday May 25th or Saturday May 26th. All of this leads to the fact that we did NOT receive our passports. We were very lucky that we were able to reschedule our honeymoon and were not out the complete $2800 we paid for our honeymoon trip, but rescheduling cost us over $500.

Thankfully, my passport was expressed mail Wednesday May 30 (yes, a day too late), but my husband has still not received his. We are very frustrated! My husband called today to determine were his passport was in the system and when he could expect it to be delivered. The person whom he talked with told him that it had not been processed any further than when he had called May 22nd. After being told 3 weeks ago his passport would be expedited, we have still not received it.

The whole passport application and processing system is crap!

U.S Passports & International Travel Logo U.S Passports & International Travel