Union Bank Of California / Disregard for rules, callous ineffective reps, poor ability to solve problem

1 San DiegoSan Diego, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 18002384486

Incident = Traveling in Thailand I lost bank card. Had it cancelled. did not have bank account number handy. Was treated like a third world citizen. Told "Well that's your fault you lost your card, we have policies we need to follow:

Having been a customer "care" specialist for varied companies I know when you are being pushed aside. Union Bank is by far the worst customer service experience ever.

I talked to 15 different reps, until one kind soul offered to send me a card to Thailand. Others said that was not possible. My Social Security Disability goes into Union Bank Acccount (or used to I switched that).

With no funds to access from my primary bank, no offering of being able to a. get a new card, b. set up online banking (we'll mail you a pin code) that was two weeks ago. Did they batch process my card without proper postage.

"Well there's no way for me to know that, " snipped a snooty rep who when asked to talk to supervisor put me on a mute that didn't mute. I heard him bad mouthing me then singing to nearly 10 songs before his supervisor (he claimed he was a supervisor: that's a telerep scheme) answered and kept broken recording me.

We can't do anything. You chose to leave america, if you were here we could help you.
Can I wire transfer into my other account from the "nice bank?"

No you have to be here in person.

Then, in frustration called again and got an angel: who admitted the bank has mixed policies. No one would read regulations to me using their "system." They even refused to give me a number to complain about the issue outside their bank.

I believe it is a LAW that banks need to have the number to escalate the situation to the federal bank authorities.

Oh we don't do that... that's your problem.

If you like to be treated like dirt, call 30 times (on your own dime ... or dollar) if you're overseas DO NOT USE UNION BANK.

Their reputation is well deserved: Money grubbing institution who's major goal is to get you off the phone and even branch manager in San Diego Mary or Rick refused to take my call.

So here I am. I have 1000 in Union Bank Account. I am out oof money. They don't care. No offer of help. I called office of president: no response.

I'm confused: Aren't they obligated to provide me a way to get my money? Sending another cared to Thailand is ludicrous (I was told by nice rep even if I got card couldn't activate it over here...) The online pin number has not arrived at the forwarding address i have. I can not "telephone transfer funds."

This is customer service taken to the worst level imaginable. I'd prefer to deal with some rep in India: at least they will say what the rules are becuase they know how to read them off a screen. To hear reps bad mouth you when they think you are on hold, to get no sympathy from work weary burnt out managers like Rick and Mary from the HILLCREST BRANCH IN SAN DIEGO and their associate who claimed to have overheard my situation and there's nothing or no time to help me.

Lucky I'm in Thailand. I can camp out and live off of $1 or even take a beggin bowl around. Who knows when/if ever I can get the money in my account.

Because I'm not keen on buying back into the American Bank system.

Let the swine dine... and may they live and prosper like big fatted calves.
Have a big mac and light beer to celebrate, Union Bank reps. You must be so proud to be a member of such an upstanding and compassionate company!

THE GIST: I have 1000 in account. no one cares. I can't get a bank card sent that arrives to me. No online code. refusal of telephone transfers. And the attitude like: Oh well.. that's your problem.

I consider it a challenge: Not to push this to the limit and get involved with others for a collective lawsuit based on disinformation and the refusal to give out a number for a federal consumer complaint line.

Laws: who needs them if you are a megabank.l.. Oh I forgot ENRON... CitiBank maybe Union Bank is mad they haven't yet gotten a bailout.

Krab from Thailand

Damage Resulting = I have no money to rent room. I will need to rely on handouts to have food. My mental health has been jeopardized. I'm confused about lies and inability to follow laws. They basically took my Social Security Disability and give me no reasonable option for me to close my account.

RESPONSE FROM UNION BANK: OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT TAKING ANY ACTION TO SOLVE THE ISSUE: INSTEAD THEY THANK ME FOR ALLOWING THEM TO BETTER TRAIN THEIR REPS:

Notice no person signed this, no e-mail address given and you can't even find an e-mail address on their website:

Dear ....,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We can certainly understand your frustration from the events described in your message and we truly apologize for the poor service provided by our banking representatives. We stride to provide superior customer service to each customer we assist. We will use your feedback as a coaching opportunity for the banking representatives.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Thank you for banking with Union Bank.

Sincerely,
Direct Banking Services
--------

My response to response:
What does this response mean? I you going to do anything to resolve my situation, or just use my unfortunate treatment to "educate your reps."

To be honest: Good luck. You did not address the major issues on the consumer complaint.

Just another way you give "superior customer service"
Still left out in the cold with no one (once again) doing anything to gie me access to my funds.

The blanket e-mail response will be added to my growing list of poor communication, avoiding the issue I am denied access to my funds in a reasonable amount of time and that you use it to say "you will your reps better."

Thanks for not providing me with a solution to the issue: once again.
And giving me more fuel to make sure others know that this is not an honest reputable bank.

Not only is this not OK, I'm certain you are breaking laws and cover up your mistakes with blanket responses like the one you sent me.

Thanks for making my day!

cc: Consumer Complaints, as many websites as I can find to make this well known to anyone who searches "Union Bank" the Federal Banking complaint lines along with transcripts and notes from each time I called.

AN ADDITIONAL FOLLOWUP AFTER REALIZING I COULD NOT FIND THE E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR MAILING UNION BANK ON THEIR WEBSITE and THAT THEY HAVE NO WAY FOR PEOPLE TO CANCEL LOST CARDS 24/7. This weekend they are on vacation!
___________________

To "direct banking" at Union Bank

FYI: there is no way for a customer who does not hae online banking to send a e-mail to you. I've waited for my password for over a week, have no bankcard, conflicting information and now... see that you encourage people to call you "right away" if they have a problem with an issue.

You were not there when I called about my bank card being lost. Other banks have 24/7 lines to cancel your card.

This is turning out to be a really good story for some investigative journalist. I now a few personally: Perhaps 20/20 or some big news show would enjoy covering your screw ups, callous attitude toward customers, violations of federal laws requiring a CORRECT way to contact the Federal Reserve (a rep didn't give3 me phone number and listed a totally wrong name).

UnionBanCal Corporation is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. Union Bank is a proud member of the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG, NYSE:MTU), one of the world's largest financial organizations

Perfect> and you won't mail a bank card to me in Thailand...
Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying documenting every e-mail and call. Perhaps I'll get a response that pertains to my issue sometime...? Written by a person with a name and title??

Enjoy your bank holiday: you deserve it!
PS: I have updated the complaint I made with the consumeraffairs site that sent the first e-mail. I'll be searching for other websites and alerting as many people as possible. I think it's a very interesting story esp. since Americans bail out banks like yours and how much are your officers raking in. Perhaps they are busy packing their stuff up for the trial?

Lawyers sound like a very good thing at this point!

=

Bo

Comments

• Ai
      14th of Feb, 2010

Can't you have the bank send you everything to your home address in California (or wherever it may be) and then have a friend or family member pick it up for you and send it to you via FedEx? They keep track of all your account activities, so I'm sure they can see that you used the card in Thailand - it should be no problem to send you a new card... Something is missing here. Please explain.

• Bo
      17th of Feb, 2010

What is missing.

Someone that will take time to get me access to my funds.

Yes.. I am in Thailand. Yes the bank is owned by a Japanese conglomerate.

The fact the I needed to answer "20 questions" to prove my identity to be assured that the card would be mailed to Thailand is proof that at least one person had some sense of customer service.

OK.. I've tried the mail it to America route. They supposedly mailed a card to an american address. even if it didn't go there I have my mail forwarded from my former "home" address to another address. That was Feb 3rd it's the 18th. They don't know, or nor can they find out where it is. It is untraceable.

It's sad that at Union Bank one can come up with a solution like you did? That may be an option, but why would I want to take more time mailing a card to a relative for them to spend money and time to Fed X it to me.

When I've been without access to funds for nearly 21 days?
    If they can't offer me a solution to get me either
    a. The card expressed to Thailand
    or a bank code mailed tome
    *which would put my account on hold and not allow transfers for six business days
    Or allow me to wire transfer funds without seeing me inf front of them...

I once again left up to the whims of the bank who has not sent me a bankcard as promised (or at least I haven't received it), can't confirm where the card is or where the password is (I tried that with the bank code... send it to someone in the states... never got there).

If you have other solutions I'd be happy to hear.

It boils down to uncaring reps, rules that can't be read verbatim. I imagine you work for a better company and wish you much luck.

Perhaps they are going under... and won't do anything more until the news hits the press. Then I would be out of luck... like now.

• Bo
      17th of Feb, 2010

Update:
    I meant a CODE was sent to activate online banking to an AMerican address.
    As I was still expecting the card "any day" *and no rep knew where it was though they confirmed the Thai address) To take a risk and cancel the card wait three more days for them issue another card, the time it takes for them to mail it to an american address, add the federal express time and cost...now we're up to March. As I said my disability will go into another nicer bank: Tri Counties Bank. They actually care and treat people like people.

Any more ideas???? Anyone????

Thx

• Zo
      10th of Jun, 2016

Sri Sangthuama of Mizoram living in Delhi is making frequent call and ask me to deposit some amount informing me that I have been choosen for Microsoft Promo Draw. As I am aware of the fact that no lottery organiser inform the winner first, it is the winner who ask the organizer and more over if I hav'nt purchase any ticket or coupon how can I get the prize. So, we should aware of the such unwanted elements of the society and handed them over to police for resurrection.

• Ve