TWX Magazine / Scam - Rip Off

TX, United States Review updated:

IF YOU WANT TO CONTAC THESE PEOPLE, THE PHONE NUMBER IS: [protected]. They have another number but it is automated and hard to get a person. I just called this number and cancelled everything with them. These people keep "giving" you subscriptions to magazines and then later you get huge amounts of money charged to your bank account. The first charge is for $2.01 and when I called to see what this is they said it is just a charge to make sure your account is still active and will be taken off in 24 hours. I guess this is so that in a month or two they can charge the larger amount to your account when your subscription "renews" without your permission. .

Li

Comments

• Sv
      9th of Jan, 2009

Thanks to Lisa for posting the number (800-586-2710). I've tried other numbers for TWX and only got through to an automated voice prompt. The number posted above took me right to a live rep. The rep explained the $2.01 pending charge was as Lisa stated, to make sure the account is active for my subscription (trial subscription) which will be up for renewal in two months. They said the $2.01 will be removed automatically within 24 hrs. They said a postcard would be sent 1 month prior to my trial ending and it would provide a number to cancel if I would like. I told them I would rather cancel everything now while I was on the phone and after trying hard (albeit rather politely) to sell me on special offers extending my subscription they agreed to cancel everything. Time will tell if another charge shows up, but I will be watching my credit card and will hold onto this number.

• 20
      18th of Jan, 2009

It happened to me, just today I realized that am a victim of this scam called TWX magazine. I found a charge of $22 on my credit card, and I do not where it come from, never heard of it before till I search the name online. I will fight those stupid thieves!

• Dn
      1st of Feb, 2009

Thank god for the person that posted this number 1800-586-2710 i got a live rep instantly she did not pressure me to buy anything else she was very polite even though i was a little upset, i was being charger 29 dollars for a subscription i canceled in 2005 it is now 2009 she said it will be refunded in 1 to 2 business days. FYE had no right to hand my cc# to this company without my permission than god they are out of business

• Gy
      20th of Feb, 2009

I, too, saw these charges show up from TWX Magazines. I called 1-800-586-2710, quite angry, and within less than 5 minutes the man reversed the charges and I was free. He was very courteous and understanding and even sympathetic. Above all he was professional. Yes, I'm sure the company is a scam -- but the telephone operators are OK.

• Lo
      21st of Feb, 2009

I called them today but i was put on hold for 16 mins and still counting...all i hear is music and the automated line "please stay on the line, your call will be answered in the order it was received" is this because it is a saturday or they are just being a jack ### on top of being a bunch of crooks!

6th of Mar, 2009

i called this number and they fixed it immediatly... The magazines I've recieved I did get for a year -with little charge -it's when they re-new you get the charge. You should have reciveved what looked like a opiece of junk mail 2 weeks prior telling you to call and cancel if not interested. I have gotten subscriptions in the past and always recieved a note, that i usedto cancel-this was the 1st time I did not

2nd of Apr, 2009

thank you. i had cancelled using the machine and when they asked if i wanted to keep what i'd paid for, i said yes. i thought otherwise i'd have paid without getting anything at all. i called the number you gave and thanks to you--i should be getting my refund. thank you.

• Ep
      30th of Jul, 2009

Thanks. I went through three numbers and tried to cancel four magazines, one of which I had never received anyway, and kept getting messages that I would receive no future billings after my current term. Only once did I hear a refund amount. I really appreciate getting this number because they were billing me $160 for magazines I could have gotten for about $50 tops! I am hoping the refunds all come through... Like Jason, I never got anything telling me to call to cancel. The guy who answered the phone was so helful so quickly that I am sure they know what a rip-off they are.

• Ji
      1st of Aug, 2009

Thanks so much for the number, that was all I needed.
    I remembered subscribing to a whole year abonnement for only 2$ per magazine (which was true) but when I saw today (a year later) on my online banking account that they charged me 44$ without notifying me, I called them and told them I wanted to cancel my account and get a refund.. because they never gave me a chance to decide whether or not I want to extent this membership.
    The woman on the phone said they would notify people 2 weeks prior via postcard but I told her I never got such a notification.
    After another "special offer" talk, she accepted my request to cancel my account completely and assured me to refund me as well.

It was rather easy.

So don't do it through your bank (filing a claim), just call this number (800-586-2710) and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks again!!

• Wi
      14th of Oct, 2009

Thanks!!! If u would not had given that number, I would still be calling there evey three months to be hearing a f... Automated machine. I could talk to a person today and he told me that drill had one supscription even when I cancelled all of them 30 minutes earlier. They that I accepted something I did not!!! Thanks so much!!!

• Ms
      10th of Nov, 2009

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I was so angry after noticing on my bank account statement that this TMX company had 2 unauthorized payments come out $22 and $33. I called the 800 number that you gave and it took me to a live rep. I adviced him I was recording the conversation on my phone and he was nice until I asked him to verify everything he promised. He said it would take him 78 business hours to refund me and I should have gotten a cancelation postcard in 2008 for the magazines. This is horrible. Why in the world would a company send a postcard so important through the mail. It should have been in an envelope but needless to say I never received anything and was not told they would renew without my approval. This is not acceptable. I told him I needed his promises in writing. He said they don't do that. I adviced him again I was recording him and needed to have someone with authority to verify this. He put me on hold and said a manager said they would send a letter in 30-45 days. I said no this is unacceptable. When I asked who he spoke to he said the guy next to him and a manager. I said let me speak to the manager. The manager said that was not true he would send the letter in 3-5 business days and refund me in 72 business hours with cancelling anything they had me down for. I never ever will except a verbal agreement I need it in writing for my records. I am not dumb and I read everything and I also listen and repeat what I hear to verify I heard correctly. I was never told they would make charges on my account I allowed another company to send magazines free under a trial basis and than for a total of one year no obligations to renew after that. This is what I was told and I agreed. I would not want more than one year unless it was a magazine I was familiar with and they were not. The manager also advised me I had a third magazine he would cancel, one I never received and had no clue I was being charged for it.

Ms. T

• Ms
      10th of Nov, 2009

I needed to add sorry I just found this out. Go under www.bbb.org (better business bureau). don't put in zip but click USA site, than go to BBB for consumers and click check out a business, put under name TWX (the rep. told me their name was Synapse Group). The first one should do. Now go under their complaint history you would not believe how many issues they had but still get a good rating (I guess since they give some refunds or cancellations they keep a good grade).

• He
      28th of May, 2010

settle down people - this is how many businesses work - they get you with the good deal (mine was $2 for a whole year each for 4 magazines), then when it comes time to renew - they just do it automatically. It's not a SCAM, it's up to you to cancel the subscription after a year if you don't want to continue. Thank you however, for posting the phone number so I could cancel mine as well. I just called them, and they were very polite, and had no problem refunding me the full amount, and within 72 hrs I might add, which is very short compared to most places!!! They actually even refunded me 50 cents when I canceled one of the magazines early!!

• Ti
      31st of Dec, 2010

Thank you for the telephone number. It was helpful and hopefully the cancellation takes place and a credit to my charge card. These people certainly are tricky at what they do. I received a call from the Harris Group who stated that they were putting together a year book from the college I attended. Now I wonder if that is bull as well. I guess only time will tell.

• Or
      16th of Mar, 2011

Don't stop checking your account, folks. I've called and gotten refunds and yet they still come back 6-9 months later! Sneaky little things. Sure, they're all polite. They know they'll ba baaaaaaaaaack!

• Bu
      21st of Apr, 2011

Thanks for the phone no. they hit my bank acc. for 4 mags at full price($166) I just cancelled them all. I contacted my bank and ask for a new card