Turkey Hill Stores of PA / Employment

1 Mount Joy, PA, United States Review updated:

To Whom It may Concern, and Turkey Hill and Kroger Executives;

I am submitting this anonymously because I don't think you really need to know who I am. Only that I was an employee of Turkey Hill up until yesterday. There are some issues that need to be brought to your attention. I need to give you a little bit of a background of me. This way you can understand why I have every right to address these issues.
I started working for your company Turkey Hill Minit Markets in 2009. My career ended with your company yesterday. I had work 4 years for you and because of a customer lying, you fired me. In the 4 years that I was employed by you, I called off 4 or 5 times in those 4 years. I have put in more hours then I can count for you. I have voluntarily covered shifts that were not my own, even though it hindered my family and school plans. I have spent countless hours away from my son; I missed his first word, first steps, and many more firsts because I had to work. I may not be the best employee, but I was a damn good one.
I wasn't just a run of the mill employee, I was an assistant manager. I held that title for 3 years. The day I officially became keyholder, I became acting assistant manager. I was keyholder/acting assistant manager for 5 months, and didn't get paid for being the assistant for those 5 months. You wouldn't even give me back pay or my share of the manager's bonus for that quarter. I was told because I wasn't officially assistant manager until a few days after the quarter ended, I wasn't entitled to it. This wasn't fair, because I was basically the assistant manager for that whole quarter.
During my first year of employment I had gone back to school part time to earn my Bachelors Degree. I had it so I could still work fulltime (45 hours plus/week) for you. I have always given you many and countless hours of my life to better your store and help out at other stores. I have never had a write up until my third year at your store. A customer got irate with me due to a miss understanding. I had a store full of customers that could state that I did not do the things he said I did. He was confusing me with another employee. I was suspended for that issue until further investigation. The investigation found that the customer's accusations were unfounded and unjust.
My next write up came when you hired someone new as your DA for district 204. Her name is Erin Walsh. She would set policies that, if a customer complained about that policy, she would write you up for following the policy. This happened quite a bit. She would only allow two people on a shift at my store. She stated that we did not need any more than 2 on a shift. We needed at least 3 people on a shift excluding 3rd shift. The paperwork she wanted us to do in the mornings and on weekends when we were the busiest, called for that third person. Another problem I did not agree with was when a certain customer complaint came in one day this past summer (2012). The customer stated that a lady was yelling at the employee on the sales floor, with a child taunting him about being yelled at by their mom. The customer included that the lady that was yelling wasn't another customer but, an employee. When we looked at the video for that day, it was Erin that was at the store with her daughter, yelling at one of our employees. She had brought her daughter with her to inspect our store. She had her daughter walk with them while she nit-picked at items that were out of the employees control. After talking with the employee about it, they stated that the whole time they walked around the store with Erin and her daughter, her daughter was indeed taunting him with saying, "You're in trouble, You're in trouble". Now to me this is not professional. She wanted that employee to be written up for the customer complaint, until she found out she was that employee and the issue was dropped. Did she get in trouble for that? I am sure she didn't. I am sure that she didn't even say it was her. She still brings her daughter with her on some occasions. This, to me, is not professional. This to me should not be done. I also bring my son into work, but only when I am a customer. Not once will I critique the store employees with my son or anyone with me, because it is not professional conduct.
Now to get to the three write ups that caused my termination. The first write up was due to the fact that I was following a policy that was put into effect by LP. The policy that went into effect was about cash handling, which was about not being on anyone else's drawer but your own. This policy included managers not being on others drawers also. I argue about it, because it would affect the customer service policy. Erin told me that I could not get in trouble by following policy, no matter what. The day that the policy changed due to customer service, she did not inform us managers of the change and there was an issue in the store that very day. Let me give you a lay out of that day. It was truck day for us and there where manager meetings all day. My manager was at his mandatory meeting and his drawer still had him on it. I and another employee were behind the counter putting away the cigarettes that came in on truck and another employee was running their own drawer. I and the employee helping me were not talking or goofing off, we were working. A line started, a very big line, and I so wanted to help but couldn't because of this policy. Mary Anne (HR) was standing in line, came up to me and yelled at me to get up and help him. I informed her I want to but because of the policy I couldn't. She then turned around and said she'll be back to pay for her drink later. And out the door she walked with her drink.
After a few minutes went by she came back in and yelled at me to come into the back room. Once in the backroom she proceeded to yell at me about customer service. I tried to talk and defend myself with stating I agree but couldn't because of this policy. And she cut me off and started to wave her finger at my face. She was yelling so loudly that the trainer from next door could hear her. Her finger was no more than 1 inch from my face. Not once did she inform that the policy was changed the very morning. I walked out. The trainer Jen convinced me outside not to quit. I came back in and finished my shift.
The next day, Erin approached me and gave me a write up for violating customer service. If the policy was changed I should have been informed of it right away. Not the next day, and not be written up for it. I still did not receive an apology from Mary Anne, but I was to give her one. This incident was caught on camera and verified by the employees on duty.
The next write up I received for customer service policy, was a lie. I also have camera verification and employee verification. I had just counted out of my drawer and an employee counted in the drawer. I was heading to the bank to get change for the weekend and drop of the previous day's deposit. Customer pumped gas of about $30.00. He came inside to pay with a 100 dollar bill. Now with the new policy of not having more than 100 in cash in a drawer at a time, the cashier did not have enough for change, since she just opened. She looked at me after the customer started yelling at her about not having anything else smaller. He yelled about what is he to do, I informed him of going to the ATM to get something smaller. He insisted that he had his son with him and was not going to leave his son. I said he didn't have to. The ATM was just outside the store. He said he runs into this every time he comes to a turkey hill, and he is tired of it. He then stormed out to his van. A few moments later he comes back in with two 20 dollar bills.
Now the complaint he gave, stated that I told him he had to leave the property to cash the 100 dollar bill, and then come back. That he had to leave his van here, which meant he had to walk with his son to the grocery store down the street with it cold outside. He stated he left the parking lot walking in the cold with his son. Now for the truth. The account I gave you above was the truth, excluding his complaint. The customer did not leave property at all. The account is on camera. I also have witnesses' verifying what I stated happened.
When Erin questioned me about it later in the week, I told her what I just told you. That we did not have the change for him. She said I should have just broken into the deposit to get the change for him. When I stated that I cannot do that, that it may be considered stealing from the deposit, if there was a LP employee standing in line. I proceeded to inform her that I could get fired for that. She said that if that happens just email her or call her. That she would overturn it. I am sorry about the whole situation, but if it comes down to me having a job and not having a job just to keep a customer happy, I'm picking the job. Anyone would do the same. She wrote me up for it, even though she had eye witness accounts backing me up along with video.
Now on to the latest write up/termination. It was slow but steady that evening, and I was conversing with either my sister or my manager on the phone. I don't know exactly who I was talking to. I was on one of the few small breaks we get. I was sitting in my car. I cannot see into the store because of the many displays that you require in the store. So, I was watching the amount of vehicles in the parking lot. I remember this because I thought it cool that there were 4 silver cars in a row, including my own car. There were only 4 cars in the parking lot, including my own. This meant that there were only 3 customer cars in the parking lot. An employee should be able to handle 3 or 4 customers. I was only outside no more than 5 minutes. So the employee was not left alone for a long period of time. When I came inside she stated that she saw my friend and regular customer Alex. So I went to go converse with him, but could not find him.
The next day I was informed by my manager that Alex had said something to another employee in regards to me being outside and there being 20 customers inside. I did not know of there being more than 3 or 4 customers inside the store, due to there only being 3 cars at the time he was here. I approached the employee about it, wanting to know more details in regards to his complaint. I then approached Alex, to apologize, not once did I yell at him. Not once did I yell at him for going to my manager. I don't even know why this happened. I am confused on how a friend called in a complaint. I am confused on why a month has gone by and I am now being terminated for it.
Now to get back to my background. During the 4 years of service for your company, I have developed corporal tunnel in both wrists, mild arthritis in my lower back. I have yet to put a worker's comp claim on your company. Corporal Tunnel is a worker's comp injury even though your HR is denying it is. Now am I actually being terminated for the unjustified policy violations or am I being terminated because of my possible claims? Now something else has been bothering me. For about a little over a month ago I receive a new chain for my amulet. This chain is shorter and my amulet shows outside my uniform. Is it because I am of the Wiccan/Pagan faith, that I am being terminated? No one will ever know why I was truly terminated, but one thing is for sure. I will never praise your company. I will always tell the truth about working for your company.
Sincerely,
No longer your puppet

Pa
May 3, 2013

Comments

• Re
      17th of Sep, 2015

I was employed by turkey hill for a short period of time. the manager was not capable of controlling his employees. Turkey hill does not give proper breaks, it is optional. High expectations with pay minimum wage. bad working conditions all around. I could go on and on. do yourself a favor and keep looking for a new job!!

• Er
      21st of Sep, 2018

I am really sorry you had to go through all of that BS. I worked for this company for three months. In those three months, I was left alone many times. The manager who hired me wasn't even there when I started. She was out on medical leave. There were like 3 or 4 different managers covering her job along with working their own stores. When she finally came back, she was only there for like a month or so before getting let go. After that, we were in between managers again. Finally, we got a new manager from another store. She was only there a few weeks before she quit. At this time, there were only 2 of the original people there and any other staff were from other stores. As of right now, there is only one person left that was originally hired for that store and that is the assistant manager. I finally reached my breaking point when I was left alone on a Thursday night. I was not able to use the bathroom because I had so many people. I was not able to get coffee or grill done at all. My dad and 10 year old nephew had to come in and help me with trash and cleaning. I put my 2 weeks in the next day. That Sunday the 10:00 person never showed. I had to call one of the managers and get her out of bed to come in. I called the next day and told them I wasn't coming back. I loved my job but my health had to come first. I am so happy at my new job and I am glad to hear you are no longer there either.