Transunion / scam and fraud!

1 po box 6790Fullerton, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-680-7289

Trans union is really funny, they are required by law to report accurate and up to date info, but recently they changed the company policy to no longer dispute inquiries. Well thats ok until I became a victim of i. D theft. After calling the other two credit bureaus and placing a credit alert on all three they removed all the unauthorized inquiries except trans union. I was told to contact the inquires directly and ask them to remove them. I have called sent letters registered receipt requested everything... Absolutely nothing in reply. I re contacted trans union and told them about this they said basically sorry we cant help my credit is ruined not from unpaid credit cards or loans etc but because trans union wont remove these charges that average about 10 hits a month I know 51 inquiries on trans union 48 are not mine the other 2 credit bureaus have 4 combined. I am now contacting my legislator to request help but hope this can get some action on its own.

Al

Comments

• Er
      13th of May, 2008

You right they would not remove them but there is a company in Los Angeles that does remove them for a fee, apparently they know the exact section of the law to make TransUnion react appropriately. Shoot me an email and I'll give you their info.

• Ra
      15th of Feb, 2009

I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY TRANSUNION IS NOT DISPUTING THE INQUIRES THIS IS UNFAIR WITH ALL AMERICANS.

31st of Mar, 2009

TransUnion appears to be the lazy stepchild of the credit reporting bureaus. They asked for a copy of my social security card, drivers license, and electric bill in order to verify my address and name change. I sent it to them, yet they refuse to change my name on the report to my actual legal name (changed 4 years ago). Perhaps because of this, my oldest open fully paid credit account doesn't appear on their reports and one long-resolved issue appears as unpaid. I think they have stopped doing anything except sit around and wait for companies to send them information or consumers to dispute. They won't accept information from companies that don't have a Trans Union account. And why would the companies have a Trans Union account when it is such a lousy inaccurate service? So everyone gets stuck with inaccurate reports and Trans Union says they "can't" do anything about it. Perhaps they are hoping that angry customers will force banks, etc to pay up and get a Trans Union account. I think there should be (another) big class action suit against Trans Union to shut it down for good.

16th of Apr, 2009

They really do suck. I was redirected several times. They are allowing all of these 'mock' companies with very similar names get away with misleading people when they know that there are patent and trademark laws that can prevent this sorta scam. It makes you wonder if they are 'part of the scam'. What ever happened to 'contact us' forms or even answering service? I was simply looking for the free report that citizens are due each year and going to Transunion was a full fledged waste of time. It felt more like I was on one of these 'freeby' sites with tons of popups cause my blocker must've blocked 10 popups. How unprofessional of them to even allow this and plus, this is serious information. Why on Earth does this have the feel of a darned ad/marketing site instead. BUT, what really pissed me off are the 'terms of us' when you click on 'will my information stay safe?' link, they say it outright! They say, "Will my information remain private?
    We may use the personal information that you provide to identify other products and services that we believe may be of interest to you, and to provide you with information about those products and services. In identifying such products and services we may share such information with our affiliates. Personal information that is shared with our affiliates will be monitored in accordance with our security and privacy policies. If you prefer not to receive such information, you may indicate your preferences by marking the appropriate box when you register. "

Isn't this illegal and misleading to clients, especially when you take careful measures to make sure that 'check button/box is hidden. Plus, since this is a credit bureau, should they have the right to use such pertinent info anyhow? That's just like the FDIC giving permission for your account amount to be shared with 'people/companies they will monitor closely.' Bull crap! Now who do you report to since I am done venting.

19th of Jun, 2010

There is a chance to get back at TransUnion!! Sue them - http://www.transunionsettlement.com/file-a-claim/

• Co
      17th of Feb, 2011

Fail of EPIC proportion from TransUnion. I found this kind of funny after this enlightening conversation I had with what would seem like a strange Virtual Human/Robot Hybrid.

Jenny Says: Hey wait! We hate to see you leave! We would like to offer you your free credit score! CLICK HERE to get started! With this offer, you get immediate access to your TransUnion credit score that can be updated every 30 days.

Jenny Says: Just type 'HI' or 'Hello' in the space below to let me know you are there.

You: hello
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: Hi, thanks for chatting with me... to return to truecredit.com and to receive your 7-day risk-free trial just CLICK HERE.
    ________________________________________________

You: how do I actually get a free credit report without having to give my credit card information??
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: Your credit score changes frequently so stay informed and guard against identity fraud with Credit Monitoring. You'll receive immediate access to your credit score that can be updated every 30 days and 24-hour email notification of critical changes that could affect your score.

Jenny Says: When you sign up right now through this chat only, you will receive 3 FREE scores! CLICK HERE to take advantage of this amazing offer!

Jenny Says: Plus you will also receive up to $25, 000 ID theft insurance at no additional cost. After the trial is over, the service is just $14.95 per month. Keep the service as long as you like, or cancel at anytime. So would you like to take advantage of this amazing offer?

You: great, a bot...
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: My name is Jenny and I'm a live virtual agent.

________________________________________________

Jenny Says: We would like to offer you a 7-day risk-free trial! Once you experience the 7-day trial, we're sure that you'll want to continue with this essential service. If not, there's no obligation. CLICK HERE to take advantage of this deal!

You: that's not right
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: This amazing offer is only available through this chat and for a limited time. CLICK HERE to take advantage of this deal.

You: I think I asked a pretty direct question

You: so if you could please stop with the automated jargon
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: I am sorry, I only have limited information. To talk to a Customer Service Team member please call us at toll free(800) 493-2392 (Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to Midnight, Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time).
    ________________________________________________

You: You mean, you're only allowed to say limited information...
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: Monitoring your credit allows you to look for inaccuracies, as well as unauthorized changes that may indicate fraud. With the growing threat of identity fraud, it's important to make sure that your credit is closely watched.

You: are you serious?
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: Very serious!
    ________________________________________________

You: you don't think I know that? I was being...nevermind.
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: I am authorized to offer you your free score; would you like to find out more about this offer?
    ________________________________________________

You: Again, I'd like to view my credit report without disclosing my credit card information.
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: We offer a 7-day risk-free trial of 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring. You'll get immediate access to your TransUnion credit score and after your free trial, to scores from the two other major bureaus
    ________________________________________________

You: You're having fun with this aren't you?
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: By checking your credit score, you can make sure you are maintaining healthy credit.
    ________________________________________________

You: Isn't it law that every citizen is entitled to one FREE no strings attached credit report per year?

You: Well thank you TransUnion. You have failed.
    ________________________________________________

Jenny Says: You're very welcome!

• Mi
      29th of Oct, 2012

Don't try to run your credit for free thru Trans Union they tell you on the page that if you CANCEL before 7 days it is FREE well that
    is a Lie. I canceled 11/2 hours later and they still charged me for a full month of service now that sucks. The reporting companies
    all three of them can RUIN a persons credit for the rest of their life. I think they should be shut down and fined . I have tried to dispute
    entries that are untrue with no avail they always have some excuse that makes no sense. If more people would write their Attorney
    General in their state of resident maybe we could shut them down. We need to stand up against their lies they ruin a hard working
    man life with a family and don't even give HOOT.Also they are sending jobs over seas instead if Americans working.

• Ro
      11th of Jul, 2013

The other Credit Bureaus, do not try to deceive or miss lead the consumer. They are very good. Not Trans Union. The personal questions info, that you enter is deliberately wrong and does not match your profile. When you go to the other two sites who have correct info i and Trans Unions is all wrong. Question it. If they force you to call a toll free number where you told to wait several weeks to get it mailed. Instead you get a fee charge and no report. It stinks and smells SCAM. They are a cheat and need to be band from this business. They bring shame to the industry. Question info on any report from this company. They cannot be trusted. The cheat seniors, disabled and low income. You may need a lawyer., contact your local state officials for assistance.

• Pa
      24th of Jan, 2014

I went online to get my free annual credit report that only cost me $12.97. After looking at the false information on my report I tried to dispute it online. No longer available. I called and was told to send D/L. social security card picture, utility bill and my complaint. My complaint is that the useless company wants very personal information sent by open mail to a company so incompetent that they can't do their job right. I tried to print my credit report after the charge for my free credit report and it contaminated my computer. Ran a four hour cleanup process and tried again and again it corrupted the system. Well, to make sure it wasn't my system I tried the local library computer and it too got corrupted. What a rip off.

• Jd
      31st of May, 2014

WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY TO SEE OUR OWN INFO THESE CREDIT REPORT COMPANYS ARE ALL WORKING FOR THE BANKS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET A CAR LOAN OFF MY CREDIT DUE TO A DIVORCE I HAVE USE LEXINGTON LAW AND ALSO A COMPANY IN COLORADO I HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TRYING TO GET MY CREDIT REPORT FIXS ITS BEEN 5 YEARS I STILL HAVE STUFF ON MY CREDIT REPORT FROM 2003 ITS 2014 IM TRING TO BUY A HOUSE AND CANT BECAUSE THEY WONT REMOVE THIS CRAP OFF MY CREDIT ITS ALL JUST A SCAMMMMMMMM WE NEED JUST ONE CREDIT COMPANY THAT AMERICANS CAN SEE THERE CREDIT REPORT ANYTIME THEY WANT ON A WEBSITE AND NOT HAVE TO PAY JUST TO LOOK AT YOUR OWN DAM INFO THE BANKS ARE RUNNING THE CREDIT COMPANYS SO THEY CAN CHARGE HIGHER RATES TO AMERICANS THIS NEED TO STOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

• Gi
      31st of May, 2014

Our credit bureau here in South Africa is also Trans Union, they still handle dispute for a fee, but they don't do anything to remove the info from your credit listing. I have contacted them, by phone and after submitting proof that all accounts except my house which I still pay off, no other credit outstanding. I had a Judgement that block me from getting credit the bank said Trans Union must remove it and Trans Union indicated that they did, but it is still on my record.
    I am now also contacting legal service to get assistance.
    You are right those people are mostly lazy and just are their to occupy space specially here in SA

• Al
      31st of May, 2014

Quite silly to do such a thing.

• Ca
      12th of Nov, 2014

I got scammed by someone posing as a landlord wanting a credit report - followed their link to a website to fill in the information. It turns out I was signing up for a recurring monthly fee, which I had no idea I was signing up for and nothing on the webpage suggested such. It makes me wonder if people get a commission for getting people to sign up in this scamming way. The property agent/landlord never got back to me. I don't usually fall for this stuff but in the midst of trying to find a place to live I fell for the bait. Don't trust them.

23rd of Nov, 2014

I am seeing a debt on my credit that is in no way possible mine, I have never use a CAPITAL ONE credit card, never had one yet this Trans union garbage that I need to pay them to remove this on my credit report ! I was about to sign up but just before I did I searched the web and found this page. I am so happy I didn't sign up but the matter of this phantom card and debt is still present. What can I do ?

• Sc
      11th of Apr, 2015

I was offered a $1 credit report because of the recent EmblemHealth data breach. I thought $1 was a bit too good to be true, so I read everything carefully. There was nothing about a membership fee or trial fee or anything like that. I even did one for my wife.

My credit statement came and show two $19.50 charges. You can imagine how furious I was. Visa was helpful. They remove those charges and will block any future charges from Transunioun the scammer.

5th of May, 2017

TransUnion is a total JOKE! I have a credit card, school loan, social security card and concealed weapons permit all in my married name that I changed 7 years. When I recently applied for a loan, TransUnion informed the lender that my last name was my previously married name. Social security and the IRS have it right and these clowns can't do that and yet they are SUPPOSEDLY gathering current, up to date information on all of us?!

Instead they told me I had FAX (fax...really? this is 2017) or mail (yeah! That's secure!) all of my important information over to them..driver's license copy, social, their file no. along with my current address. I spent an hour trying to fax them from a Staples. Mailing it makes me feel like a carrier pigeon would get it there safer and in more time. I am seriously not impressed. I'm 60 years old and have never seen such a ridiculous way of supposedly running peoples lives in my life.