[Resolved] TracFone Wirelesscustomer (chat) support

Here is a transcript of a support chat conducted with a TracFone rep this evening:

"Thank you for visiting Tracfone today. How may I help you?

Thank you for contacting TracFone. Our hours of operation are Monday-Sunday 8am to 11:45pm. If you receive this message during normal operation hours, our chat agents are helping other customers. Your position is 2 in the queue. Your wait time will be approximately 6 minute(s).

Kenneth: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.

Kenneth: Hi Mark.

Kenneth: How may I assist you?

You: Hello Kenneth. My TracFone suddenly began displaying Invalid SIM in the upper left corner of the screen.

Kenneth: I'm sorry to hear that.

Kenneth: Before I check your account, does your phone number end with ####?

You: Yes

Kenneth: Thank you for the information. Please allow me a moment to check your account here on my end.

You: Thank you!

Kenneth: You're welcome.

Kenneth: Thank you for waiting.

Kenneth: Kindly turn the phone off and remove the battery.

You: Done.

Kenneth: Pull out the SIM card.

You: Done.

Kenneth: May I have the SIM card number?

You: ####################

You: I'm only guessing on the series of zeros, since the last character has a factory punch mark in it that renders it unreadable.

Kenneth: It's okay.

Kenneth: Put the SIM card and battery back in and turn the phone on.

You: Done

Kenneth: Does the phone is showing the same message?

You: Yes, still showing Invalid SIM card

Kenneth: With regard to this matter, we will need to speak with you directly to better troubleshoot this issue. Please contact one of our customer care representatives at [protected]. Please use reference PIN (032700). For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

You: I cannot call anyone, as the Invalid SIM renders the phone inoperable as a phone.

Kenneth: You need to use a different device.

You: A "different device" isn't available.

Kenneth: Thank you for chatting with TracFone Wireless.

Kenneth: Have a wonderful evening.

Thank you for chatting with us today. The agent has left this conversation. For further questions, please start a new chat."

Immediately after the support rep ended the chat session, the option at the top to print or email a copy of the transcript disappeared, so I had to copy the entire thing to the Windows clipboard and past it into a Notepad document to save it.

So I now have a TracFone with a lot of value in unused text, data & phone service that I cannot use, and the response to my particular situation is, "Have a wonderful evening."

• Resolution statement

• TracFone Wireless Customer Care's Response, Sep 15, 2018

This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. We apologize for the inconvenience and trouble that you may have experienced with our service. Should you need help with your phone. Please chat with us using this link http://bit.ly/2qdrKHH. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information.

Mj