The Salvation Army / charity? no, greedy church

1 New Rochelle, NY, United States Review updated:

When my mother died I had a houseful of older furniture in very good condition, or so I thought. Not wishing to endure the craziness of Craig's list or a yard sale, I called the Salvation Army to donate all of it to the needy. They sent two guys: one looked like he thought he was a Hollywood producer and the other I think just got out of jail. The 'Hollywood" one flounced and flitted thru the house and within 2 minutes said "oh, no no no, none of this will do, sorry. Have you got anything else? " ELSE??? People are homeless and sleeping on sidewalks and you're turning down four bedroom sets and a whole livingrm/dining rm suite??? I was livid. All they want is NEW stuff in Perfect condition so they can sell it at top prices in their "thrift" shops. You can do better at Target or Ikea - these people are PHONY and should not call themselves "non-profit"!!! I will never put a penny in their stupid buckets again.

Comments

• Po
      22nd of Nov, 2010

The condition of furniture can be relative, and sometimes they have higher standards for pieces they have too much of or pieces that take a large amount of space. Though it seems like you are not a very understanding person seeing how quickly you are to judge someoen based on appearance.

• Sw
      8th of Dec, 2010

I agree. My donation of very good wood furniture and an expensive glass patio table set with chairs were refused. I was told Salvation Army does not take summer furniture in the winter. The wood china cabinet had aged scratches on it but in almost excellent condition. I really feel that they made a bad judgement call. However, it would be nice if when scheduling they would tell the donator the possibility that the furniture may not be accepted. After all I waited for 2 week for the pick up and now have to make other arrangements.

• Ex
      27th of Feb, 2014

The SA is "part church, " "part charity, " and "part business, " per an article in a Florida newspaper (that truthfully described them). One should add: "A BIG PART, business." Do you pay taxes? I do. Can you hide behind "non-profit" status? Most people can't, our dollars are taxed. The organization wants it all their way. I will not donate to them anymore.

• Cr
      23rd of Oct, 2014

The salvation army is a scam.

• Sh
      23rd of Oct, 2014

I worked for them for about Ten years and they were a bunch of thieves .If people know what they did with that Christmas money they would not give.

• Cr
      17th of Nov, 2014

Yes Sheryl, thieves indeed. I don't know if the whole organization is like the ARC in Albany, NY. If they are they should all be prosecuted. The church part is laughable and the charity part is all a front so as not to have to pay taxes. The so called captains hire, fire and put people out on a whim. The so called counselors have no training whatsoever. One is not permitted the liberties needed to try and rebuild their life. They are held back for one reason, free labor. Yes they will feed, house and clothe you as long as you work for them 40 hours a week for no pay. Where does that leave one time to look for gainful employment in order to move on?

15th of Mar, 2015

They don't give it to the needy they sell it in their stores. If not use able they crush it and snip it go Asia.