TGI Friday's / stealing money from costumers!

My father took our family out for a nice dinner at TGI Fridays this last Thursday Feb 8th 2007. When the bill came and it was a good amount for 9 people they had taken out 18% gratuity my mother gave them a $25.00 gift card and said use this for the tip. We had gotten home and not only did he get gratuity they never took the 25.00 gift card off the bill or off the gratuity so the waiter ended up with a 62.00 tip.

Just be warned that they will not tell you weather or not they take gratuity you have to really look at your bill and then correct them a few times to get it right or to keep them honest.

The store #0089
From a angry consumer

Va

Comments

• Je
      27th of Feb, 2007

They are supposed to highlight the gratuity if they add it. Usually if its 6 people or more they automatically add gratuity in, if they don't highlight it then they should tell you. Thats just general restaurant etiquette. I would complain. Also another note, if they add in gratuity, then you shouldn't tip them, unless you really want to. The gratuity is added so that they can be sure they get their tip. They run a higher chance of getting more if they add the gratuity in than if they just accept a tip. Thats just my 2 cents. (coming from an ex restaurant manager)

• Sh
      26th of May, 2007

When I used to wait tables, I would refuse to add gratuity to checks. If management made and issue of it, I would make sure to tell the entire party that the charge had been put on their check and that I was sorry. My logic was that if my service was good, most large parties would take care of me. I think it's horrible when dishonest servers pull things like this. It makes all of us look dishonest! Also, you should know that you legally have a right to refuse to pay a gratuity in any situation!

• Do
      26th of Sep, 2007

I disagree that you should be legally allowed to refuse to tip. The waiter must pay taxes on a percentage of your bill, which is kept track of by the stores computer. The waiter is also required (as a condition of employment) to tip out various other personnel (bussers, barstaff, foodrunners, etc) on percent of sale basis. One should figure that 15% is the required service charge to cover those issues fairly. Any thing on top of that would be of your own free will.

If you don;t tip, the server literally must pay to wait on you.

• Em
      24th of Dec, 2007

I know ya nigas want to get free staff all the time.

• Mi
      14th of Feb, 2008

I won't be going back to Fridays again - the place is nice, but their business practices are very deceptive. They emailed a $5 off of 15 coupon with a link 'send this email to a friend and get 2,0087 goldpoints' (their frequent diner program). Turns out you have to send it to a friend, print a coupon, go to the restaurant and have a meal there before they give you the 2,008 points.

That's very deceptive. The coupon DOESN'T even say a purchase is necessary. I was driving by a Fridays and the manager turned me a way from just getting the points because I wasn't eating there. And their corporate office stands by the policy that you have ot get a meal... even though the coupon doesn't say anything about it.

Houlihans anyone?

• Fr
      27th of Feb, 2008

• Ps
      30th of Dec, 2009

"We went to Gatlinburg ealier this month with a group from church during a youth rally and we went to the Friday's in town. They not only charged us an %18 gratuity but also a service charged that was the same about, so we paid roughly a 36% tip. While the waiter we had was very friendly, the waitress that other members of our group had was very rude. I was really disappointed in Friday's and won't be visiting them again."

To whatever [censored] posted this, the service charge and gratuity are the same thing. I'm glad you're in charge of little kids and not something important that's even remotely related to basic mathematics (although many people of similar intellect seem to be spending the bailout money our president has so thoughtlessly entrusted to corporations who conveniently "misplace" it.

• Ha
      29th of Jun, 2010

I am a server at TGI FRIDAY'S and just so all of you know that when you pay with a GIFT CARD WE DON'T GET A "TIP" OFF OF THEM. The only thing that we get from the gift card is to keep it and use it ourselves. Also when you have a party of 8 OR MORE 18% gratuity is added to protect us from getting a 4% tip. I mean if I wait on your party of 12 and your bill is $130 I can't be sure that you will leave $24 (18%) When we print out checks that have gratuity at the BOTTOM of your check highlighted in BLACK & WHITE it says that there has been 18% gratutity added..however your server could have torn that off in hopes of YOU not reading where it says service charge and tip on top of the gratuity. Sneaky? Yes but for all of you that complain you obviously don't pay attention to what you are paying for until you've already paid. Servers work hard for the tips that we get. If you don't have the money to leave a 18%-20% tip than go to McDonlad's or Burger King. You can be rude to them all day if you want! For all of you that want your party of 10's order to come out in 10 minutes..YOU ARE [censor]ED! All of the items you order go to different screens at different times. If you order a steak well done, than guess what?? you will wait about 10 minutes for that along with all the cajun chicken and shrimp pastas and sizzling chicken's..We don't just throw stuff in the microwave and send it out. Your food is cooked to order. If the restaurant is on a wait unless you order salad your food is going to take 15-20 minutes tops.

• Ms
      16th of Mar, 2012

I visited TGI Friday's in Columbia, SC. When I went in, I had my cell phone with me and my bluetooth headset in my ear. When my food arrived, I turned of the ringer to my cell phone and took the headset out of my ear and conspicuously placed it on the side of the table as I always do when I eat out because I do not like to be disturbed with phone calls while I'm eating. I ate my food and cleaned up my mess by stacking the dishes and placing used napkins on top of the stacked dishes. I paid my bill, left a tip on the table and I left the restaurant at about 5:40 pm. I drove less than 1/2 mile from the restaurant before I realized that I left my bluetooth headset on the table, so I immediately turned around and arrived back at the restaurant at 5:56 pm. By the time I got there, the table had been cleaned of everything including dishes, tip and my headset. I asked the staff about it and everybody I talked to said that they hadn't seen it. I asked who cleaned the table and was told by some of the employees that they didn't know who cleaned the table. I then asked to speak to the manager and was later approached by the kitchen manager who basically told me that it was not their problem that I "lost" my headset. While I was speaking to that particular manager, the busboy who cleaned the table approached us and admitted to being the person who did, in fact, clean the table after I left but said he didn't see a bluetooth headset on the table. The manager gestured for the busboy to stay quiet and go back to what he was doing prior to joining us. I know that while I was eating, the headset was visible throughout the entire time and because I have a habit of stacking the dishes and trash before I leave any restaurant, the headset was still clearly visible when I left. It doesn't make sense to me that in 16 minutes, my headset had been removed from the table with everything else and nobody (not even the busboy) had ever seen it. Not only am I extremely upset about the fact that somebody "stole" my headset, but I'm even more livid about the nasty and unprofessional demeanor of the kitchen manager as well as the mannner of which this matter was handled. Had I driven away and not realized that I left the headset until 30 minutes or an hour later, it would make better sense that I would likely have no chance of getting it back and I would be upset with nobody but myself. I'm sure that the tip I left didn't happen to get "lost" before or while the table was cleaned, and there is no way I'm going to believe that the bluetooth headset was "incidently" thrown away and everybody I spoke to in the restaurant implied. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to rectify my loss but I am certainly going to push the issue and raise as much stink as I can just for the principle. Needless to say, I will never visit that restaurant again. I have no desire to give any business to a place who has a thief for an employee and managers who uphold them. I pity the person(s) who might accidentally leaves a wallet or credit card there.

• Je
      27th of Jun, 2015

My husband and I went to TGI Fridays in Victor, NY to celebrate his birthday. The dinner was good, the waitress took the credit card to pay our bill and when returned the bill our credit card was missing!!! We sat there for over 15 minutes while they were looking for our credit card, the manager finally came over and said to give him our name and number and if the cleaners find it he would give us a call!!! REALLY, someone had stolen our credit card!!! He took $30 off the bill!!! My husband we was inconvienced for a week with out his bank card. Still haven't heard from them!!!