TechSkills / Enrollment Practices

I am writing to inform others about Techskills' deceptive enrollment practices that ended up costing me a $4000.00 refund. In 03/2008, on the day of my initial visit and tour of TechSkills, I was offered two months of free enrollment as an incentive for enrolling that day. On 08/23/2008 I wrote to the Admissions Specialist and requested to change from MCSD to MCAD certification program. In early September of 2008, I was told by the Admissions Specialist I would be given a $4, 000 refund.

After several emails to the Admissions Specialist over a period of three months, I was finally called into a meeting with the School Director in December regarding this matter. During the meeting the School Director explained that I was passed the 50% point and was not eligible for a refund. According to him, the cut off date was 8/22/2008. He then pulled out my Continuing Education Enrollment Agreement that has the enrollment dates from 3/25/2008 to 1/19/2009. The Continuing Education Enrollment Agreement states “After fifty percent (50%) of the period of financial obligation is completed, the institution may retain the full tuition”. The exact date is not put on the Agreement.

I was one day late requesting a change from MCSD to MCAD because of how my enrollment into TechSkills was handled by the Admissions Specialist. In order to reflect the two months of free enrollment she used different dates on different forms and in the computer. On the Continuing Education Enrollment Agreement the enrollment dates are from 3/25/2008 to 1/19/2009 (300 days). The 50% point was 8/22/2009. On the Sallie Mae Application the enrollment dates are from 3/25/2008 to 3/20/2009 (360 days). On the "My Progress" screen on the TechSkills web site, my enrollment period shows 3/25/2008 to 3/20/2009 (360 days). The 50% point of the 360 day enrollment was 9/20/2008.

I decided to switch certification programs because the Techskills - Charlotte is a JOKE. If you have a problem with the course material, the staff encourages the student to focus on taking the Prep Exams because they can not help you with the course material. I now owe Sallie Mae $11, 150 and I did not get Microsoft certified in either MCAD or MCSD.

A  3rd of Mar, 2009 by
Not sure if anyone will see this, but I'm going through the same thing right now, and have been for two years... I just can't take it anymore... anyone have any advice????? Please and Thank you!
A  30th of Jun, 2009 by
I am in the same boat. Just try getting SLM to help you out. I was ripped off for 6K. The admissions guy kept tellingme how I was O.K. until my first day of actual "class". My membership wouldn't begin until I did. What a ###ing liar. I called him twice asking if I had to begin immediately as I thought thats what the contract said. He kept telling me "don't worry, your membership begins when you do" I went for exactly one day and withdrew. I owe SLM 6K for one day of school.
A  21st of Oct, 2009 by
I do agree with the complaint. Techskills robbed $4500 from me and offered me nothing. Not only did the refuse to refund my money, they also refused to refund my examination fee ($550.00 even though I did not take the exam. I am surprised there is no class action suit against them yet.