Suzuki Motor Corporationmalfunction of the radar brake support on the vitara

Dear Sir,
I purchased a new Suzuki Vitara 7 months ago, on 22/5/2018 to be exact.
I have choosen your firm because it was and still is, one of the major car makers in the World, also because I use a 4stroke 140 outboard for the past 10 years with no complaints so far.
I am facing a malfunction on the Radar which, so far none of the Authorised Engineers in Athens Greece, has managed to give a solution, or explain the reason why it happens.
During rain, regardless if it's a heavy rain or a swower, I get a message on the car's screen that says "Radar Brake Support FCN temporarily disabled".
I know that the emblem S on the front must be clean, because the Radar is right behind of it, so I always keep it clear.
If I park, turn off the engine and restart it, the warning goes away for a while, but the same senario is repeated again and again.
I am sure that you have thousands of hours testing this device before the launch in the market, so I believe that maybe you can give a cetain guidance of what shall be done in order to avoid these malfunctions.
I repeat, that the problem remains unsolved even though I have asked and visited authorised dealers in Greece.

Kind Regards
Michail Andritsis
Tel. +[protected]
email [protected]@yahoo.com

St
Dec 03, 2018

Comments

• Cw
      Mar 13, 2019

I have a Vitara SZ-5 which I purchased new in Nov 2017 in the UK and my car suffers with exactly the same problem. I have taken it back to the Suzuki dealership I bought the car from on 4 separate occasions and been told that the system is working correctly and that there is nothing wrong.

• Vi
      Mar 19, 2019

Suzuki know all about this as the 2019 face lift Vitara has the sensor moved to a different location. As for the earlier versions, Suzuki couldn't care less, even though the system fails in the conditions when it is needed most.

• Ad
      Mar 25, 2019

My Vitara SZ-5 is in again today with the same problem (25/3/2019) and they insist there is nothing wrong with the brake support system...

• Ki
      Jun 04, 2019

i have the same problem with my Vitar, although they have replaced the radar the problem remains . now i am waiting for a new spare part to be replaced again

Jun 29, 2019

Same problem with my Vitara, which I bought in Belgium in july 2018. The problem started after approximately 13.000 Km. When I took it in for repair, my dealer stated that they were waiting for a software-update, but he couldn't say how long this would take ("maybe a week, a month or longer ..."). Next I contacted Suzuki Belgium who first stated that the problem was due to aproblem with the radar sensor but that they were dependant from Suzuki Europe, who couldn't or wouldn't deliver the replacement part. In reaction to a second mail, Suzuki Belgium then stated that Suzuki knew about the problem with the radar sensor and that they were developing a new part from zero. This means, according to their mail, first designing it, next constructing it and finally testing it so it would function to the complete satisfaction of the customer, before taking it into production and distributing it for replacement. I was warned that this procedure could take a very long time.
    No word about a temporary solution or a compensation towards the customers. To me it is very strange that they claim to be developing a new sensor for a model of the Vitara that is already replaced by a new version with a different kind of brake support system (combination of radar and camera in stead of only a radar sensor like in my version. Also strange if you take in to consideration that SUZUKI already did a recall of a number of Vitara's with the same problem in the UK in 2015.
    Only a certain number of Vitara's has this problem. Why not just replacing the sensor and, if the new one is also faulty, replace it again (and again and again ...) until one is installed that works properly? These replacements could be done during the normal maintenance periods. I can't imagine that this is more expensive than making a completely new sensor for a model of the Vitara that is already replaced by the new 2019 version.
    As he is my first and last contact in the long chain of command between customer and Suzuki Global, I will contact my dealer again next week. If no acceptable solution is found, I will take the matter to the press and also enter a complaint with the Belgian Ministery of Economics because, as the problem with the radar sensor was already known as early as 2015 and still is continuing today, Suzuki kept on selling Vitara's until now, well knowing that a certain number of them would be afflicted by the problem. Could this be considered as fraude?

Jul 01, 2019

I have bought a Vitara 08/2018 and am running into the same problems, this radar keeps failing on me.
    No mather the weather conditions or wheter the sensor is clean or not.

The dealer adjusted the sensor twice to no avail and now a new sensor has been orderer abroad since early may so I am starting to get annoyed by the fact a new car does not function as it should.

@ Eddy
    Could you keep me updated on the status of your case as I am also from belgium and seriously considering taking legal actions if this new sensor does not function either.

Erwin

Jul 01, 2019

@Nevn No problem, I will keep jou posted if there is anything new to tell. Meanwhile I regularly post my complaint on the FBsites of Suzuki Belgium and Suzuki World. Also I will contact my dealer (who normally gives an excellent, correct and honnest service, but also has hands and legs tied up by Suzuki). I've asked him to consider 2 options; either to replace and keep replacing the sensor until I have a woeling ons, either to take back the car and sell me the new 2019 persoon at a correct price, minus the value of my one year old vitara, minus the normal discount and minus an extra discount because of the suffered inconveniences. I am curious what he has to say.

@Eddy from Belgium Thanks,

Just got the word that my sensor should be in this week, having it replaced next tuesday.
    I find that you option of keeping replacing the sensor to find a working one is a no go for me. If this new one does not work I will be looking in how to take action (maybe testaankoop). Driving with a malfunctioning sensor is dangerous, I almost had an accident when overtaking someone when suddenly it failed on me, causing the car to suddenly slow down. :(

Jul 01, 2019

@Nevn I can understand your reaction if the automatic braking kicks in. That can be indeed very dangerous of it happens white overtaking an other vehicle . In my case, the system just shuts down after the first corner, while overtaking or at a roundabout or just on a straight road without any obstructions. So from then on no emergency braking or adaptive cruise control and to irritating warning lights on the dashboard. Thanks for keeping me informed.

Jul 01, 2019

@Eddy from Belgium "The system just shuts down after the first corner, while overtaking or at a roundabout or just on a straight road without any obstructions. "
    This is exactly the same issue, the only times it does not malfunction is if I just drive for less then 20 minutes. Otherwise it is guaranteed to fail.
    Sometimes the notification dissapears and the radar is usable again (this is rare) but turning off the engine always fixes it (for a little while).

Jul 01, 2019

Could you tell me who your dealer is? This could be interessant to mine for exchange of information concerning solving the problem.

@Eddy from Belgium This is my dealer: https://suzuki.be/nl/belauto-nv

Jul 01, 2019

For further information, I found following interesting article on the web about a recall in the UK in 2015 :

Throught the next link you can find a review of the problem, dating 2017 : https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/suzuki/vitara/suv/owner-reviews

I also found some video's on Youtube, filmed by the same persoen, where the problem occurs by night as by day, in perfectly normal traffic circomstances :

Jul 09, 2019

My car is getting a new radar right now, the dealer claims it took so long to get one as they were develloping a new and improved radar, kinda like what Eddy stated in his first post. Also he addmitted that there are problems with this radar and that he had replaced another just this week (which has not come back defect yet (a week is a short time though)).
    I'll be picking the car tonight and taking it for a spin soon enough to test out the radar, will keep you up to date if anything else happens.

Sep 06, 2019

New sensor was placed on the 6th of august. Untill now, I've driven about 1000 Km with the new sensor. During that time the new sensor switched off only once. Worked normal again after turning the engine off and back on.

• Vs
      Sep 12, 2019

My 2017 Baleno has a problem with RBS as well - it keeps on giving false alerts, when the road ahead is clear and empty of vehicles
    Could this be a similar problem to Vitaras problem
    I have taken car back to dealers on many ocassions - all they say is "No problems found"
    I am concerned that the brakes could lock - if RBS believes that a collision is iminent - not very good at 70mph on the motorway !

Sep 14, 2019

Apparently, the problem with your car isn't the same as mine. Mine didn't give false alerts but shut down after a few kilometers. So the emergency brake system and the adaptive cruise control didn't work anymore as they both depended on the radar sensor.
    Beginning of august they changed the sensor and until now it works OK. Had only two "shut downs". One was resolved after stopping and starting the engine again. The second time it reset itself after a few minutes. False colision alerts I haven't had until now.

• Gi
      Sep 30, 2019

I have the same problem in my car (suzuki vitara 2018 diesel 4wd)
    They have changed my radar sensor before 8 months but after 4 months the same problem happened again.
    It is unbelievable for me that suzuki is not taking responsibility for such a serius matter as it is vital for the safety of the car.
    I am thinking if anyone is willing to press charges against suzuki as we are driving cars with a missing vital safety application which we payed ofcourse.Suzuki should give us replacement cars as we are waiting for new sensos (over a month)
    Giannis Diakos Greece

• Ki
      Oct 02, 2019

I have the same problem with my Suzuki Vitara S 2018. It has got progressively worse over the 12 months I've had the car and now the warning lights are on just about all the time - but annoyingly they don't just stay on, they go off briefly just to ping back on again a few minutes later.
    I have been trying to get this resolved with my dealer since the beginning of July but nothing. Apparently a technical bulletin was released in August admitting the problem and giving a replacement set of part numbers. I took the car in at the beginning of September so that they could check which part was needed - and have been waiting ever since! Apparently the part is on "back order" with ne expected date for delivery - I'm beginning to wonder if it exists at all, or if it is just a delaying tactic.
    There should be some form of compensation as two features of the car that I bought and paid for, the radar break support and adaptive cruise control, have been inoperable for much of the period I have owned it - but neither the garage nor Suzuki seem prepared to take any responsibility.

• Ha
      Oct 11, 2019

I have the same problem with my new Suzuki Vitera Diesel 2018. It is exactly same situation with Kirstys Oct02, 2019. I am still waiting replacement set with no expected date of delivery.