Sunset Group-Fisherman's Village / scam, misrepresentation

1 Mexico Review updated:

My husband and I were scammed in 2004. We were guaranteed a great investment/rental income opportunity with great availability. And Yes, the yacht club, Sunset inter-club were also part of the deal. If unhappy or disappointed, we would be bought out with the assistance of their sales dept.
We have only been able to book Fisherman's Village once. There has been no other availability that fit our requests. So you can forget about rental income. Tried to do an exchange through Sunset inter-club with no luck.
Have asked many questions via email and it appears to me if they don't like the question, you will not get an answer. The fees go up annually not to mention the extra fees for hurricanes and the additional fee every 5 years for maintenance.
What sounded like a wonderful thing has turned into a night mare.

I am happy I found this site and extremely depressed that this has happened.
If there is anyone out there that has gotten out of the situation, we would love to hear about it.

Thanks
KS

Su

Comments

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Ro
      14th of Nov, 2013

You know what they say: "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" My husband and I were scammed in Cancun with a Royal Elite Timeshare last August. They promise you everything and deliver NOTHING! We were sucked in by their promise to get us a balcony for an inside cabin rate. We do alot of cruising and thought-Wow this is really a great deal. However, it turned out to be more of a great rip off since everything they told us was a lie. Fortunately we only joined the club and NOT buy a timeshare. That was enough though. $2, 000 down t he drain. They gave us 4 of those worthless vouchers for Sandos resorts which are also worthless. That HSI exchange is suppose to sell the vouchers for you at at least $500 is also abunch of bull. Please don't fall for anything that has Royal Elite's name on it. I'm in the process of calling the BBB and seeing what they can do. Possibly the attorney General also!!! These are more complaints about this resort:

• Ph
      25th of Jan, 2015

All they do is lie.
    In August, my wife went to Mexico for our 25th anniversary via an offer from a promotion company to stay at a resort for a much reduced price if we agreed to a time share presentation. We started our presentation by meeting our sales person, Ana Romero, for breakfast at one of the resorts.
    Ana was a very pleasant and friendly young lady whose bubbly personality immediately changed when we informed her that we would be glad to take the tour but we were in no way interested in purchasing since we already own 2 time shares. Ana, her demeanor now show disappointment and disgust, went and chatted with who I assume were representatives of the Club Sunset. Upon her return, she said that we had to options; not do the tour which was her preference because she could then get another prospect, but we would have to pay for our stay. The other option was to continue with the tour which was our choice.
    After touring a couple of their resorts we went to a sales area where the sales pitch began. We, again, informed Ana that we had no intention to buy and the only way we would even consider buying was if they bought our 2 time shares. Ana called over who I assumed was a sales manager named Novelo. He acted as if he would reluctantly purchase our time shares. He got the name of the resorts and the approximate amount we owed and left. When he came back he said Club Sunset would purchase the time shares and if they could not sell them, then they would donate them to a charity for tax benefits. He said he would pay $16000.00 for one of them and $6, 000.00 for the other. I asked how he got how much we owe since we didn’t have the account numbers, and he stated that they work with a company that can get that information. Since we did not have the account numbers and the address to which payments needed to be sent, he said we could send it to them at a later date.
    There were a lot of pages to be signed and initialed. The Member Purchase Contract had no statements regarding the paying off of our time shares. However, the Membership Verification Form did in 2 separate locations.
    On page 2 Item 19, “Are trading in any other membership that you own in another resort, as part of this agreement NO, if YES : resort name____________________.” On the blank line we wrote the name of one of our time shares.
    On page 3, item 25, “Name the reasons why you decided to purchase today.
    ______________________________________________.” On the blank line we wrote, “AGREEMENT TO PAYOFF MY 2 TIME SHARES.”
    Over the past 2 weeks, I have sent 3-4 emails to Club Sunset regarding them paying off my time shares and have received no response. Today, I called the customer service number to inquire and the gentleman said that there was no stipulation for Club Sunset to purchase our time shares in the contract. I asserted that it was stipulated on page 2 item 19 and page 3 item 25. He said that item 19 on page 2 was blank, to which I replied that’s impossible because I have the document in front of me and it definitely had my time share written on the line. I then asked about my reason for purchasing which was on page 3. He alluded to the fact that the Membership Verification Form was more like a survey and not a contract even though it was signed by me and my wife and a representative of Club sunset and each item was also initialed by me and my wife.
    The down payment as stated in the contract was $6650.00, but our credit card was charged $8833.34.
    I believe my wife and I were defrauded by this company not to mention the fact they were continuously serving me alcohol while trying to persuade me to make the purchase.