Sunset Group / Dishonest timeshare scam

1 Mexico Review updated:

My fiancé and I were suckered into purchasing a "vacation package/timeshare" and absolutely can't believe that we fell for this!! It all started the moment we stepped off of the airplane in Cancun, Mexico. We needed a cab to our hotel from the airport. I was directed to a lady at a counter where I could pay our cab fare there. I then noticed this same lady signaling another worker to direct us to one of the many kiosk type desks set up in the airport lobby. There sat another lady who showed us where our hotel was for the week and gave us a map of the area.

She then offered "free tickets" to area attractions (deep sea fishing, theme parks, snorkeling, diving, etc) if we would attend a 90-minute presentation over lunch the following day. Didn't seem like a bad deal to us. We should have known when she asked for a $40 deposit that would be returned to us upon completion of this presentation that something was up. We were at this so called "90 minute presentation" for the entire day, almost 8 hours!! They fed us a nice lunch, we toured 2 very nice resorts, were served free alcoholic beverages and then it all began.

They presented a vacation package that was so outrageously priced for two people our age that we felt quite certain that we could just turn this down and be on our way. Not the case at all, they worked and worked on prices and packages for hours continuously offering more alcoholic beverages along the way. We wanted to leave several times, telling them that we were not interested but they wouldn't back off!! Eventually got the price down to something we thought we could actually afford. After spending the entire day there with these pushy salespeople we finally agreed to purchase one of the packages.

My fiancé and I looked at each other the entire time wondering why in the world we were doing this. We were told that we had time to cancel if we changed our minds so that made us feel somewhat better. After signing all of the paperwork, they did return to us our $40 deposit that we had paid at the airport as well as the cab fare of $24 that they promised. We received our "free trip" tickets but ended up not even using them because departure times and actual trips were so limited compared to what they showed us at the airport. We did continue our vacation and had a great time in Cancun.

Upon arriving back home we entered our house all to find out that the air conditioning unit had broken and that it would now have to be replaced. After being faced with such an unexpected expense my fiancé and I decided that there was absolutely no way we could afford the "vacation package" that we had signed up for. Reading further into the many pages of documents that we had signed off on we find out that the plan had to be canceled within 5 business days. You mean to tell me that I was suppose to sit in my hotel room reading documents during my vacation. We never would have dreamed that the deadline to cancel would be before our 7 day vacation was even over.

I was so mad upon reading this that we called immediately to complain and to see what we needed to do to cancel. Just sick to think that they get you right at the airport wanting you to come the very next day because they know if they can get you to sign that day that you will more than likely not read the pile of documents before your vacation is over.

We are now being told to write a letter to "the board" who will review it and see if we are approved to cancel our contract. We are also being told that even if we do get approved to cancel that we will not be credited our 25% deposit which is over $3, 500. This deposit, which we didn't even realize was being applied to a credit card that they apparently opened for us. They had us fill out a form and told us that is was in order to get our credit pulled to see if we could get a better percentage rate on our monthly payments.

My fiancé and I are well educated individuals and are absolutely sick at ourselves for getting suckered into this whole deal. My heart rate is through the roof as I write this letter and I get more and more upset as I look back to even proofread it. I wanted to share this with anyone that might be planning a vacation to Cancun because I do not want you to be a victim as well. Please be aware of these types of schemes. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out for us, but so far it is not looking good!!

Signed,
Absolutely outraged!!

Comments

3rd of Jun, 2008

You sound like children. When you are on vacation, why would you sign into something as expensive as a car? In the U.S. the salesmen would have a field day with you too. This scam has been around a long time, you never went online until now? Didn't your parents (since you say you are "well educated") tell you that nothing is really free? You knew they were going to fleece you, but you thought you could outsmart them and get something for free. What happened to your feet and mouth during the presentation? They stopped working for 2 well educated people? I don't know why you are mad at anyone for this. When I was at Puerto Vallarta I walked by those clowns. So did everyone else from the ship. Next stop for you sounds like some kind of investment rip off. I'll give you 32% return on your money...

• Mo
      22nd of Jul, 2008

I know exactly how you feel... we did the same thing while we were in Cancun... My credit card company reversed the charges for me because if you look at your credit card agreement you have 15 days to cancel timeshare agreements. Sorry, this is too late for you. Make a stink, threaten, complain - that is what I did. These people are absolute ###!

• El
      7th of Aug, 2008

Joe,
    It is very unfortunate that you have nothing better to do with your time than to criticize the mistakes of others. I know that it was a mistake and that I fell for their tactics. Seeing your comments doesn't make me feel any better about that. I came to this site for help not for someone [censored]eful as you to make me feel worse about what has happened. I truly hope that you find something better to do with your time.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

19th of Aug, 2008

Hi Elizabeth,

My husband and I are in the same boat as you. We bought in 2006 and part of the deal was they would rent our weeks for the first 2 years. When I contacted them in October of 2007 to reserve a week during the winter of 2008 we were told there was no availability. Others on the internet were refused reservations with 1 year's notice! We have filed a complaint with Profeco and retained a lawyer - wish us luck! Most attempts to contact SSG are an excercise in frustration. They are now trying to collect 2008 mtce fees which we are not about to pay. Don't give up, if you hear of any class action law suits, let me know.

21st of Aug, 2008

Hateful Elizabeth? When YOU post something that indicates stupidity and someone calls you on it, how are they then hateful? Again you sound like a child that was babied when they made a mistake. I have 2 children and if they did something as stupid as this, I would not want them looking for pats on the back and sympathy. You, not me, are the one who proclaims you are WELL EDUCATED. People are opening accounts for you...do you even know what a FICO score is? How does free alcohol effect the well educated? When you dance with the devil, try to get something for free, don't you think there is a price? Unbelievable, your mad at people who research big ticket items for days before they by them like me.

18th of Nov, 2008

Hi Elizabeth,

Have you made any progress with your complaint against these crooks? Good luck.

30th of Jan, 2009

Hi Elizabeth - any news? SSG missed the second meeting that was scheduled with Profeco and were fined. Don't give up the fight!

Thanks, Scammed2.

• Ta
      23rd of Jun, 2009

Elizabeth-you should contact member services. I call them if i have a problem and they normally work with you. I'm not sure how long ago this has been for you but whenever i call i get the attention and help i need. IT's an 800# too so it doesn't cost you anything. I'm sure you'll find a nice understanding person to help you. But also remember that it's a sales pitch just like any other...it's like buying a car. IT's a salesperson's job to convince the buyer. Don't feel bad. Just call and ask for help.

• Ti
      7th of Apr, 2010

The tmeshare industry in Mexico is taking almost a Billion Dollars every year from Americans and Candians. They are taking away their earnest money based on lies and misrepresentation. I have collected evidence to support the claims of thousands of people deceived from this company. Share this info with your general attorney, the Federal Trade Commsision, the Consulate of Canada and USA in Cancún as well as any government agency that you believe might be interested in putting pressure in the Mexican Government to stop these companies from scamming more honest people.

Please visit this website (specially the video section) to know in detail how these companies operate.

• Ro
      19th of Nov, 2013

I know how you feel, and it seems like this is a common problen in Mexico. I purchased a travel program through Sandos Playacar at Royal Elite Timeshare Resort in Playa del Carmen last March and I requested to cancel within the 5 day grace period but they still have not refunded my down payment of over $9000 US dollars. I have been in touch with people there and they say they are working the process but it takes time. It has now been almost 5 months and I am losing faith they will ever pay me back. This is another forum with more complaints about this company:

I believe we should do something about it, as I understand Mexican regulations forbid the offering of gifts, free vacation certificates or any other promotion strategies without informing the consumer the specific purpose of the offer. I want to complaint with PROFECO about this, and get my money back

• Th
      20th of Nov, 2013

Have you accomplished to get your deposit back? I purchased a Royal Elite timeshare last year and I'm having exactly the same problem, I was trying to get a final resolution working on my own, but I think it's time to file a complaint with PROFECO (The Mexico's Consumer Protection Agency) maybe you should do the same thing. This is a forum with more complaints made on these companies: