StubHub

Posted:

DO NOT SELL TICKETS ON STUBHUB - IT IS FRAUD WEBSITE

Stubhub
stubhub.com
I am a full series subscriber to the US Open Tennis championship and sold several tickets on stubhub for the US Open Tennis championship. For one of the sessions - Session 26, I sold them through Last Minute Services(LMS) where in I shipped the paper tickets over to the LMS facility in NY along with several other sessions. I was able to successfully sell the tickets and provide timely response so the buyer got them etc etc.
After about a week, I got an email yesterday saying there was an error with my tickets and the credit card I provided on file is going to be charged the amount I received through sale as well as additional $ 310 without telling the reason behind the two charges. I call the customer service and was shocked to note that it was a fraud from either the buyer or Stubhub and the reason provide to me was there was a scan error with the tickets I provided at the venue. Stubhub tells me that the only way I could prove that I provided the right tickets is to get a scan report from US Open venue and provide to Stubhub. I call US Open ticket office and they let me know right away that the tickets I sold were never scanned at the venue.
That proved the fraud - I do not know how to comprehend this kind of fraud - either the buyer lost the tickets or stubhub never delivered the tickets to the buyer. I got defrauded with these two massive charges just because my creditcard was on file with them. US Open ticket office said their policy is not to provdie scan report though I called about 4 times and stubhub insists me to obtain something that no one ever provides. But US Open ticket office will provide scan results over the telephone when someone provides the barcode. Stubhub could have done this by calling the Venue with the barcode numbers on my tickets to find out if whatever buyer was saying was right or not. Instead the burden to prove is on the Seller- what a fraud scheme - great for making money.
Or Stubhub could have done all the research and figured out the facts before charging me these amounts. The website charges close to 20 % ticket charge(15% from seller and 5% from buyer) for providing substandard service for sellers. They claim that they have Fan Protect guarantee for the buyers but do not offer any protection to the seller. Also their customer service is very rude and the group at LMS is condescending. When asked why Stubhub did not do any research in this regard before charging my card, the response was that they do not have any responsibility and when asked about hefty fee to seller(15%) - they do not provide any service other than website to sell - No customer service for 15 % fee which in some cases amounts to hundreds of dollars.

200 Dollars in fee but no customer service - Total rip off.
Complaint comments Comments (13) Complaint country United States Complaint category Ebay Scams

Comments

N  5th of Oct, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Hello Bhotla,

My name is Selena and I am part of StubHub's Executive Customer Care Team. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with this sale. We definitely care about our sellers, our FanProtect Guarantee covers sellers as well. If we haven't resolved this matter with you yet please email your order information to yourfeedbackmatters@stubhub.com. We look forward to speaking with you!

Selena
StubHub ECC
1866 STUBHUB
N  3rd of Mar, 2012 by    +2 Votes
Hi Bholta,

I sold several concert tickets on Stubhub.com and had a horrible experience like you. Stubhub DO NOT provide seller protection. We SHOULD all stand up against stubhub and ask our rights back.
A  3rd of Mar, 2012 by    +1 Votes
Hi Bholta,

I sold several concert tickets on Stubhub and had a horrible experience like you do. Stubhub canceled my orders for no reasons after I shipped the tickets and charged for the replacement tickets for over hundred dollars. Stubhub DO NOT provide seller protection at all. We should stand up against Stubhub to protect our legal rights.
A  2nd of Jun, 2012 by    0 Votes
Bholta/Zoe, if you guys are ready to start a class action lawsuit, me and my co-worker would like to join. My issue was, the guy called two days after the event, saying the seats were not up to his par, well if they were up to par why didn't you call on the day of the event?
A  25th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
This has happened to me twice already. I have lost over $600 through Stubhub. I would definetely be interested in some kind of lawwuit.
A  29th of Aug, 2012 by    -1 Votes
I have had this happen several times to me over the past 2 years losing hundreds of dollars. The most discouraging part is that stubhub tell yuo to prove that your tickets were good, you have to get this scan report for which there is no way to obtain Many venues are only open on days of shows and that can be weeks in between shows. I agree 15% commission should include the service to sellers to obtain these scan reports before charging them huge penalties and fees. I am interested in a class action suite as well. Count me in...
N  11th of Dec, 2012 by    -2 Votes
First and foremost, if you cannot spell or you are unable to complete a logical sentence; you may not want to post on these sites or maybe you should use MS Word for auto corrections. When people come to these sites for information or complaints, those of you who are verbally or grammatically illiterate may not want to post as this detracts from the reader obtaining logical information. Heck, they have spell check at the bottom of this box. READ YOUR SENTENCES BEFORE POSTING PEOPLE!!!
N  11th of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
This just happened to me for Outside Lands Music Festival and they say I need a scan report etc. There's no one anyone else had access to those tickets but whoever bought them and myself. I was 500 miles away from the event when it happened and the customer complaint is that they couldn't get in because someone already scanned the tickets which is a lie. And funny how it happened the last day of the event as it was coming to an end. There's no way I shouldn't get my money back, because that would be fraud. I'll let you know what happens, but after reading this I'm very wary I might have to take legal action.
A  26th of Mar, 2014 by    0 Votes
I can't tell you how many times they have ###ed me now. Same BS line about a scan report. Venues don't provide scan reports. They know that yet the repeatedly ask for one. I'm starting to believe that every 10 sales they claim tickets were invalid just boost profit. This is an aweful company.
A  9th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
They just got me AGAIN as well. Sold tickets to a Vegas Britney Spears show. buyer claimed invalid. i had actually come into the tickets from a stranger and mostly expected that they were truly invalid - it happens. but due to my experience and also certain circumstances, i was curious enough to check. i called the venue and pretended i was the fan denied entry and needed a scan report to get a refund from a ticket company that sold me tickets... made up that whole story. they did check into it and confirmed, to my surprise, that the tickets WERE VALID. they had scanned one time, successfully. i had called expecting confirmation that my second hand tickets were invalid. instead i found that the buyer was making a fraudulent claim. of course the venue refused to provide any documentation "for legal reasons". odd of me to ask anyway after my story of being denied entry didn't pan out lol... stubhub meanwhile canceled my sale, and charged $200 for the inconvenience i caused the buyer! and of course i am out my cost as well. a $701 swing, from $301 profit to $400 loss. thank you once more stubhub! nice way to treat a multi-year member of the "large-seller" club. fyi most sellers consider this a normal cost of dong business, and really it is. every business is defrauded regularly via credit card chargebacks. stubhub shields sellers from chargebacks, so i guess they consider their extreme buyer-protection policy to be an acceptable way of allowing sellers to contribute to fraud losses. to be honest that may be a valid point, but it sucks for occasional sellers. and its just wrong. the buyer protection policy makes no fair sense and they know it. but sellers will stay with stubhub regardless, where buyers would leave if the burden of proving invalids were on them. that is the reason for the policy being as it is. they accept that people will defraud them and sellers. they expect it is minimal and surely the cost to them surely is minimal! they pass on the penalty to the seller. in my case, as a large seller, they know i'll stay, as there is nothing even close to being adequate for selling outside of stubhub. ticketnetwork etc are wholly inadequate for most brokers. vivid is an up and coming maniac. ebay is crap. stubhub rules the roost and they do what they want. in may ways they are helpful and forgiving, but truly the buyer protection fraud situation is maddening and completely unfair.
N  28th of Aug, 2014 by    0 Votes
I am dealing with a very serious problem with stub hub. I had four tickets to Beyonce/ Jay Z concert and my sisters decided not to go. I listed 2 of them on stubhub and they sold immediately because I listed them low and just wanted to get what I paid for them. I tried to set up a paypal account but had a problem because I live out of the country and paypal does not like international credit cards. I phoned stubhub and asked them to send me a check to my permanent address in Canada. They are now refusing although I can prove payment, address, validity of tickets etc. How can stubhub just keep my money (230 dollars)? Why I am being discriminated against because I live in a different country?
N  29th of Jun, 2015 by    0 Votes
Is this thread still active? Has anyone started a class action? I bought four tickets to the Rolling Stones and could only use two. Ticketmaster suggested Stubhub. I uploaded them and they sold. While I was at the concert I got an email stating that my sale was cancelled. What a downer at the concert. Well Stubhub says the buyer was "refused". I find this impossible. Someohow the buyer has resold them and then took advantage of the Fan Guarantee thus getting my tickets for free. Additionally Stubhub charged me $701 to replace the tickets for the "buyer" What a scam!!! I am out the tickets, the cost of the tickets and an additional $701 that I have nothing to do with.
How On earth do I get out of this expensive mess?
A  30th of Jan, 2017 by    0 Votes
Have you ever woken up in a panic over something?

Have you walked around with an icky feeling all day?

I have -- and it's because of my interactions and dealings with StubHub.

In early January, I made a mistake trying to sell tickets on the StubHub site. In good faith, I followed the prompts and listed my tickets. They were sold, and within the same day the order was canceled. I received a bill for $611 and told I misrepresented the mezzanine area. When posting, I was not given this option, so surely I thought this was a mistake any reputable company would honor and assist with. When I spoke with a customer representative they told me I was charged $611 to cover the cost of another customer's tickets.

An appeal was placed. Again reps at StubHub said the charges would go through -- this was the policy. But I was confused because apparently this was a computer issue, no fault of my own. They refused and refused. They deemed the discussion over and $611 was charged to my AMEX. I received no explanation of the charges, and of course no authorization.

So my mistake of posting tickets turned into a huge nightmare, one that would disturb me for weeks.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree