Sterling Jewelers / terrible experience

1 375 Ghent Ave.,Akron, OH, United States Review updated:
Phone: 330-668-5000

I am a former employee of "kay jewelers, " otherwise known as Sterling Jewelers. I used to work for over five years in the 60 days collections department out of the home office in Akron, Ohio. I am writing this report for both customers and employees that deal with this company. Sterling Jewelers is the owner of multiple jewelery stores throughout the USA. Some of the brands are, Kay Jewelers, J.B Robinsons, Belden's, Jared's, Osterman's, and about a half dozen more.

I am complaining about their 60-days collections manager, named Myron Olijar. Myron Olijar is a really seedy individual. I have no idea how he got promoted to manager. The following note is for those that currently work at Sterling: WATCH OUT FOR HIM! Myron knows the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act) very well, yet he barely enforces it. The FDCPA is a piece of law that regulates how a debt can be collected, what is legal and what is illegal. Granted, for anyone that works in collections, we all know that the overwhelming majority of the customers that fall into collections is because they are just going through a difficult time financially. Sometimes you have a sick child, get a pay cut at work, get layed off, or have an unexpected car repair. It all happens to us. On the other hand, there are deadbeats out there that simply buy stuff and don't want to pay for it, but these customers are few and far between. Well, whether you are a deadbeat or just living pay check to pay check, Myron Olijar doesn't care. I've heard this man laugh on the company floor when there is a account to be collected on, "Oh, we'll just harass them, I mean, uh, we'll collect on him." Obviously, he does this tongue-in-cheek in a very sarcastic manner. But Myron does indeed harass customers. What is worse, though, is he doesn't personally harass the customers, he gets his supervisors and his collectors to do it for him. Here are a couple of examples: FDCPA states that we are allowed to contact the customer only once a day by telephone. Myron on the other hand, will have his collectors call customers REPEATEDLY throughout the day. Myron in fact, has his collectors break the law once they have already contacted the customer, and the customer is either unwilling or unable to pay, and then has them contact the customer again. This is particularly true for balances that are over $1000. If a customer cannot or will not pay, they usually will hang up on us. What Myron Olijar will have his collectors do, however, is to have them call the customers back and say, "We got disconnected" and then attempt to collect on the account again. If this doesn't work, Myron then will have his supervisors and collectors go on a skiptracing search engine like, "peoplefinders.com." and look up all of the customers relatives, friends, neighbors, roommates, co-workers, you name it, anyone or everyone that has had any contact with the customer. Myron will then have his subordinates leave messages with anyone that is willing to take a message. I was forced by Myron to leave messages with neighbors and friends of a customer. FDCPA states that collectors can indeed leave messages with others, only if they are "familiar" with the customer. Here is the grey area Myron Olijar really exploits. Who are we, collectors out of Akron, Ohio, to know who is familiar with one of our customers in Texas, Idaho or California? We don't, and as long as customers do not know their rights, Myron keeps exploiting his collectors into doing this. Another illegal thing myron has his collectors do is when, for example, a customer's due date is say, "August 15." But the customer does not get paid until "august 16." Myron will have his collectors do a "post dated check over the phone." The idea is that there is some lag time between the debit on the customers checking account and the credit into Sterlings account. Myron will do this knowing perfectly well there is a chance that this check will bounce. If the check bounces, then Sterling is able to charge more finances fees. Another illegal thing Myron does is even sleazier. For example, if one of our customers is in collections, chances are he is in collections with his Visa Card, Car note, mortgage, etc. The customer is probably getting dozens of calls a day. The customer gets so desperate that they are willing to do anything to get the calls to stop. What Myron has his collectors do, then, is to tell customer, "THe collections calls will only stop until you set up a payment over the phone." But the customer will usually say, "I don't get paid until the end of the month." Myron then will have his collectors say, "Well, we can set up an automatic payment to debit your account until then." But here is the grey part again, the customer did not tell us if he can afford the payment or not. Sometimes the payments can be as high as $80/month. So these customers are so desperate to have the collections call stop, that they will indeed to a post dated payment over the phone, both the collectors know and the customers know that the cash probably will not be there at the end of the month. But Myron is able to exploit this. When the check bounces, Sterling is able to charge another fee, yet Myron is able to include this amount into his quota and get his monthly bonus anyway.

So as a wrap up: these are the four illegal things that Myron Olijar usually has his collectors do: 1.) call customers back repeatedly the same day after contact was made. 2.) leave messages with dozens of neighbors, friends, relatives, co-workers, or anyone else that could be "familiar" with the customer. 3.) do post dated checks over the phone into the future with the full knowledge that they might not debit in time 4.) threaten the customer with more phone calls if a posted dated check is not made into the future, knowing well that the cash is not there.

So, how does Myron Olijar do this? There is this unwritten code at Sterling when it comes to collections, "Whatever works." In other words, you can do basically anything you want, but just don't get caught, and if you do, don't count on your superiors to get you out of it. Myron Olijar really does force his supervisors and collectors to do this. He always hits his numbers because of this. Unfortunately for some, though, is when they do get caught, they ended up getting fired. I've known dozens of good people that have worked at Sterlings collections for 10+ years, only to get fired for doing what Myron Olijar has told them what to do.

For customers, this stuff goes on at Sterling all the time. When this stuff actually leaks to the media, they usually clean up their act for a few months, then slide back into their illegal practices. Its just a "big cycle." I'm sure that there are plenty of former Sterling Employees that are more than willing to back up what I'm saying. I could not in good faith continue working there. One of my supervisors was fired for doing exactly what Myron told him what to do. After that happened, by put in my own two week notice. I am working at a restaurant now, making less, but at least I know I'm not doing anything illegal or immoral. Shame on your Sterling Jewelers and shame on you Myron Olijar!

Jr

Comments

• Da
      5th of Aug, 2008

I am curious why you believe Sterling Jewlery is bound by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act? This act is only for THIRD PARTY debt collectors and Sterling is an original creditor. They are not bound by the laws you are claiming they break. I am sure some other harrasment or other State laws may be in the breaking, but they are exempt from the FDCPA !!

7th of Aug, 2008

I used to work for Sterling Jewelers from 2000-2004. Let me tell you, everything that is said here is true. I didnt work under Myron Olijar, but I know who he is. And let me tell you, this guy will stab you in the back in two-tenths of a second. He's only out for himself. Before I left, we had a departmental meeting with all of the collectors, supervisors, assistant-supervisors, managers, and the VP himself, Mario Weiss. I remember Myron was kissing his a@@. It was a sorry sight. He had his arm around him, with a fake smile, just having a glorious time on the "glory train." Myron tries to fire excellent supervisors that have a good track record because he worries that he will compete with them for a promotion. Don't be tricked into doing his dirty work for him.

13th of Aug, 2008

Please contact me at jeaninedarden@btstaff.com I NEED TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU DIRECTLY REGARDING KAY JEWELERS/STERLING JEWELERS

13th of Aug, 2008

Please contact me I am a very unsatisfied customer of Kay Jewelers and would love to be contacted by you.jeaninedarden@btstaff.com

please email me jeaninedarden@btstaff.com

• Sy
      21st of Aug, 2008

I recently worked for this company on the retail end. It's just as corrupt there as it sounds to be in collections. I think the entire company is ###-filled.

• T
      25th of Nov, 2008

I couldn't agree more with this post. Myron is a pychotic man, someone that needs deep psychological help. He has the skill to befriend you, only to stab you in the back when you are not looking. He is definately a "frenemy, " someone that pretends to be your friend only to turn around and use you as a scapegoat. I've heard him wish harm and evil on many people that he dislikes on the floor. If you work with/for him, BEWARE!

• Se
      2nd of Feb, 2009

I have worked there for the over 3 years and this is soooo NOT the case. We get in trouble for the smallest of issues like not verifying information like a last name, there is no way anything can happen with the call taping they have. This poster is obviously a disgruntled ex employee.

• Jr
      6th of Feb, 2009

To "Sea Captain" up above ^^^^^^^We all know its you Myron...quit trying to use an alias and trying to cover yourself and your lies. The jig up...you've been exposed for what you are: a liar, a cheat, and conniving looser. If you were so smart and so intelligent as you think you are, you'd be an investment banker or be a manager at a real company, not some sort of manager of ex-welfare recipients and college aged-drop outs. GET A LIFE!

• Ri
      17th of Apr, 2009

I totally disagree. I have hit hard times in my life because of job loss and then loss of my spouse to cancer, and Mr. Olijar helped me through this. At first, various representatives of the company were working by the book and would not bend to help me, but Mr. Olijar, a fine manager of this company, came through and set me up on a plan that would allow me to help my family and make my payments toward the debt. Whoever has the need to spend time to write such mean spirited things about anyone ought to spend time thinking about themselves and their own problems. Perhaps, those with a heart as kind as Mr. Olijar would not understand these unkind things written here. I wouldn't expect that from unkind people, so Mr. Olijar should not feel badly by these unkind words either. Not everyone is of a gracious heart in this world. Thank you, many times, thank you to the kindness of Mr. Olijar, his utmost professionalism, and this very first-rate company that he represents.

• Ex
      25th of Jul, 2009

This is Ex-Sterling Employee: I have a note for "ritabrinda" as well as everyone else that thinks that Myron Olijar is an innocent character. I want everyone to know that this man has poor personal charachter and comes from a family of thieves, liars, and violent thugs. Just type the "Olijar" Family name into the Cuyahoga County Clerk of Courts and both in the "Civil" as well as "Criminal" Docket searches you will find cases that go back decades about this cabal family--Olijar. These people have sued each other over money and inheritances. Furthermore, you will see that the olijars have BEEN sued by banks and other financial institutions for failing to pay their own debts---quite ironic considering that Myron Olijar is a manager of 'debt collections' at Sterling Inc. Myron Olijar's brother, Ihor, was charged with Sexual Battery in 1996. Myron in fact, got dumped by his first wife, "ANIZIA KARMAZYN" in 2005 due to verbal and physical abuse. Myron wasted no time and got married again, to Johhana Parks in 2006. But she ended up calling the cops on Myron due to domestic violence shortly after. Taking into consideration that this entire family is of criminal origin, and can be verified by the court docekts in the county where Myron resides, I hope everyone who either works for sterling or buys their products seriously takes into consideration what type of people work there---Mario Weiss, VP of Sterling's Collections Department, should really know what type of people he is promoting...

• Le
      7th of Aug, 2009

I think you are crazy, clearly you are an angry ex employee and need to find counseling and the Lord. It is time to move on child. You will find peace through the Lord Jesus Christ. Until then, you are refusing to comply with demands of Natural Law: what Mother Nature, God, or Whatever Power decreed to be the reality of the real world, God, democracy, capitalism, the US Constitution, and free, fair, and affordable commerce.

Demanding every person, and every corporation, farmer, business, outsourcer sweatshop, and nonprofit, tax-exempt, organization and Church; markets the cost; in the wholesale and retail price of his or her product and service; Of consumers paying for Chinese, Foreign and Domestic Investors and stockholders market quarterly; in the wholesale and retail price of product and service, and EVERY product and service Human Beings use for life; and Government needs to build, maintain, and operate schools, infrastructure, and provide government services and national security. That gets only product or service.

This makes it IMPOSSIBLE for consumers to afford anything; Makes free, fair, and affordable commerce IMPOSSIBLE; Makes funding schools, infrastructure, and etc. IMPOSSIBLE; Makes balancing every budget IMPOSSIBLE; Makes union workers, consumers, taxpayers, and America’s grandchildren’s children LIFE UNAFFORDABLE; and created the $40 trillion social security and the $9.3 trillion national debt. America’s grandchildren’s children are responsible to pay interest with this debt until they are 18 years old.

• Ke
      23rd of Nov, 2009

I do not know about this idividual but Sterling has been my jewler for 20 years
    Kay in Clifornia and Akron and now Jared in Texas. Their quality is high and the customer service is great.
    Kenny Large Texas

• Sh
      27th of Mar, 2010

Shame on this person for posting this same copied garbage on all sites. They have a beef with this company or the person they keep naming. I work in Credit now and you can trust in the fact that if this were even partially true, this company wouldn't employ him or anyone else for 1 second more. They are not a "collection" or even "credit" company, they are in business to sell jewelry. Credit is just a tool to get more sales. If there is a bad credit employee they are dropped in a heartbeat, salespeople have the power here.

• Ar
      4th of Apr, 2010

I don't know anything about whats posted here, but I think I should share my story because it is quite the contrary. My wife and I are both realtors and the last few years have devastated us financially. We fell behind on everything including two mortgages and three vehicles so our Kay Jewelers bill didn't rank very high on the priority list and as you would expect we fell behind a couple payments and yes they did call and yes we avoided the calls. But when I did finally call them back I found them to be sympathetic to us and definitely got the sense they wanted to help. Needless to say they do get some money from us because they were willing to meet us a little on how much we could afford. The times that I have interacted with them, they are professional and they certainly weren't trying to entice me into paying over the phone knowing I wasn't going to have the money. They delivered on their promises and my payments are lower. The complaintant is right about 1 thing, they are in Akron Ohio, because in my dealings with them I have gotten an American, English Speaking person everytime. Thank goodness for this, you know 90% of those who call you from any other company are from call centers in India. I am happy to deal with someone from Ohio.

• St
      22nd of Feb, 2011

In the spirit of wikileaks, I think we employees of Sterling Jewelers should start carrying small digital voice recorders when we are billing. Especially collection teams under Myron Olijar. If we had half the things Mryon had said on tape we could seriously bring him down. I'm going to start taking an digital voice recorder to work when we are billing. If myron makes me do anything illegal again, I am going to forward these voice recordings to the Ohio Attorney General and Carl Monday (the investigative reporter at WOIO Channel 19). His email address is: Carlmonday@19actionnews.com. you can file a complaint about what Myron is doing with: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/consumercomplaint.

This should go for customers that are having trouble with Myron Olijar, his supervisors, and his collectors. Its high time Myron gets what is coming to him...

• De
      23rd of Apr, 2011

Loren Eberly,

What is this, I don't even...

You sound insane, what the hell are you ranting about?

• St
      18th of May, 2011

In the spirit of wikileaks, I want to leak some stuff about Sterling Jeweler's Collections Department to the public. First of all, if your account is either 60 or 90 days late, chances are you have a a "skip tracing" packet on you made. This packet has your social security number, sterling account number, copy of your credit bureau report, names and addresses of your relatives, as well as other personal information. These packets are NOT protected. Meaning, they lie around on staff's and supervisor's desks. These packets could be easily stolen and taken home and no one would even know. What is worse, however, is that when the collection cycle is over, the collectors and their supervisors, simply throw these packets away. These papers are not even shredded. Meaning, someone going threw Sterling's trash, or the trash dump, could come across these packets. When I used to work at Bank of America's call center in cleveland, these types of packets were in the supervisor's control and they had a special shredding department that shred these documents. Next, they went into their own special trash dumpster. There have been many incidents at Sterling Jewelers Collections in Akron where employees, and some former employees, have stolen customer's social security numbers (and other personal information) and tried to open fradulant accounts on their own. Sterling still has not enforced any type of control of the papers that contain customer's social security numbers and other personal information. If you have an account with Sterling Jewelers, i hope you know this is how they are handling your info!

• Dj
      26th of Aug, 2011

Be very careful about what is being posted here. Posting false or misleading "claims", especially for the basis of hurting a reputation or interfering with an aspect of a business moves to litigation and shifts the burden of proof back to a writer. 11-xxxxxx ref 56-4