State Farm / Sneaky

While trying to file a homeowners claim in October (due to a theft), we discovered that our policy's deductable has doubled the month before. Our agent "played dumb" when I asked why it increased, and it wasn't until I called again, that he told me that everyones policy deductable had doubled and it was noted on my renewal the month before. (No other notification, just a note on the policy.)

Some agents attempted to contact their clients atleast 3 times...not my agent! He states that he called and left a message, but not so...I have an answering maching and caller ID... no call. Then I found out the day they supposadly called - funny thing, I was home, off work the entire day, because I had surgery the day before. Like I said, there was NO call.

Besides all that, in the same week surrounding the day they supposedly called, I have records of contact with them on 3 different occasions, because we were taking out another policy for liability insurance. Not once did they ever mention anything abouth the homeowners deductable.

After talking to several "higher ups" at State Farm, I got nowhere. Guess they are in their legal rights by just putting 2 lines on your policy. Shame on me for not looking it over, but I never imagined they could change that without approval.

So much for being with State Farm for over 20 years... when they decide to sneakly change something and there is no mandate on how agents notify clients, this is just poor business practice...but I'm sure losing one customer that gives them over $7000 a year is no big deal to them.

If anyone knows of anyway to go further with this, let me know.

Ov

Comments

• Wp
      21st of Mar, 2011

If your deductible goes up by a company decision, they will notify you by letter and on your renewal. Did you know that you can contact the Chairman of State Farm directly? Ed Rust is the Chairman and he will address your concerns and issues. Go to statefarm.com for contact information.