Starbucks / defense

1 GA, United States Review updated:

I have worked for Starbucks for over a year now. I love my job but like anyone else I have bad days too. I try to drop everything at the door before I start my shift and look at all the reasons I should be happy. I am happy. But some customers are so rude! I dont mean to beep my own horn or anything, but I really really try to be super helpful to the customers if they have questions about something or are perhaps confused about something else. Well, I work the drive through and the rudest of the rude come through the drive through. Those with really loud trucks, those with drivers side windows broken, those who like to prank us and make orders then drive away, and especially those who come everyday and we know their orders and make it right EVERYTIME yet they still persist on yelling their order at us. And of course the cell phone customers. People, give it a REST. We would like to ask you how your day is and if that drink is what they were hoping for (if they havent been to a Starbucks before). We cant do our job if you dont let us. The baristas i work with are for the most part proactive on the job, but where one falls short another pulls through. My last thing is, if you have a complaint please please talk to us before going to our manager. And when you do talk to us please dont be in defense mode because basic people skills tells us that one tone person's bad day turns another's into a bad day... thus resulting in a whole ton of people having a bad day. I want to be helpful to you so please LET ME. I will try my hardest to do the best job I can. But to all you customers, if you choose to be rude... we can choose to not serve you.

Comments

• Ra
      3rd of Apr, 2009

i know what you mean. my store is in a crappy part of town and we often have various sorts of craziness about. all of those you mention and more. but take comfort that none of this means anything in the long run. they are nothing to you and remember those small rays of light are what we are here for...we cant change everyones attitude but we have some sway. just look at all these negative comments mostly stemming from attitude. sure it sounds corny but havent you ever had a great experience that just makes you feel a little better?

• Co
      13th of Sep, 2009

I'm a huge Starbucks fan, go there as often as possible. I empathize with all you wrote, really do. I am a really polite customer, always try to be pleasant as one should be in any case. Most baristas really do try, IMO. I tell you though, it is really frustrating to pay $4+ for a drink and pull away from drive-through to discover it wasn't made as ordered. I don't mean super picky stuff, but rather failing to add whipped cream (when specifically requested) or when they've failed to add shots to a latte (as in NO ESPRESSO added, actually happens about 10% of the time, unbelievable as that may seem to you).

Again, most Starbucks employees are pretty excellent, really try to be cheerful and do a good job. Some stores are better than others for consistency, employee quality, etc., as we all know.

Overall, I'd say we ALL need to try a bit harder to be considerate both customers/employees.

• De
      9th of Apr, 2010

We work HARD to be the best at what we do. Sadly, it is just a job for some people, though.