Sony Playstation 3does not read disc at all

my ps3 all of a sudden stopped working, while playing a game now, i now my warranty is out cause i do not have the original receipt and i bought it online it worked fine for almost a year. But it is a common defect for the 40gb system which I have. I called sony and they said it will cost me $149 which is inconvenience to people because it is very expensive it ranges from 300-500 dollars I Just want less for a repair but that might not happen so i want to make a complaint to sony for whats going on.

Comments

• Ku
      Dec 17, 2008
    Sony Playstation 3 - Lying Tech Support
    Sony Entertainment America

Okay so I bought a brand new Playstation 2 game. I hadn't had time to play it and 2 days later I stop by my friend's house to play it on his Playstation 3. He sets it up and as I'm about to play it shuts off. He can't get it to turn on. Many people have had this problem

The damn thing won't even turn on to eject my disk, so my friend has to send it in to get it fixed. Because Sony doesn't offer extended warranties my friend had to pay 150 dollars to get it fixed. Reason one Sony is a horrible company.

So after 2 weeks he gets his system back, and he calls me and tells me my disk came back, but it was dirty and scratched. My brand new out of the box game is scratch because some underpaid Sony goon just yanked it out of the system.

So I tell my friend to call Sony and get them to fix it. He calls them and later tells me that the Sony Customer rep. told him to call the Sega hotline for a replacement. First of all it's not Sega's responsibility that a Sony tech screwed up my game. Secondly they say they replace Sony disk but not 3rd party disks. This means they've screwed up people's disks before. Sony's policies are so blatantly dishonest at this point I'll never buy another Sony product.

After a long fight with Sony's essentially non-existent customer service, they finally told me to send the game to a specific address. I sent the game to the address and after a couple days they sent it back claiming it was a 3rd party game and that they couldn't do anything. I sent them the original invoice with the game, clearly showing how much I paid for the game.
    In other words, they knew what the game cost regardless of whether or not it was a 3rd party game. A brand new game scratched up by their techs and they claim it's not their fault because it's a 3rd party game?

Sony is the most dishonest company I've ever seen.

• So
      Jul 22, 2009

I completely agree, i am on my second PS3 and it is having the same problem... Sony sent me a refurbished PS3 a few months back and now i'm having the same problem and Sony insists that i still pay the $149 to get it fixed. I think it is a load of crap that two consoles have the same problem in less than a yr and i have to fork out $300 which is almost the price of a brand new system. I feel if i am making an purchase this expensive it should last me more than a year and a half.

• Bi
      Jul 28, 2009

We called Sony Service as well. They said this was not a common problem ... oh Yea? I am unsure about what to do. Scrap the playstation all together and get an xbox360? Shame on you Sony.
    Our system is 1 1/2 years old. We expected alittle more for our money.

Sounds like a civil suit is in order. Any takers?

• D1
      Sep 10, 2009

I too have a disc reading error with my 40 gig PS3. After doing a couple of hours of research I came to the conclusion that this seems to be a bigger problem than Sony wants to let on to be. OMG!!!
    After reading all the complaints on this board I decided to call the tech support number for the second time today. My goal was to speak with a supervisor and find out how to get a complaint to some one who would listen. After the initial B.S. with the first person he tells me he would forward my complaint to his supervisor unless I would like to speak with him. I told him that I would like him to take my complaint down and then let me speak with his supervisor. My complaint was: "I have always been a big fan of Sony products and that almost all the elctronics that I do own were Sony made. Everything from the 3 T.V.'s, my camcorder, phone, answering machine, DVD players, universal remotes, notebook computer, cell phones, and two PS3's (because of the Blu-Ray). I explained to him that I have always thought highly of the products that they have offered and if this was any way to treat a loyal customer that I have had it. I would do my best to have all my friends and family members boy cot sony and their products." The tech then asked me, " would you really do that over a game consoul?" I said, " Yes, do to the fact th Sony is trying to charge me 149.00 to just have the PS3 sent back to them and then charge me for the repairs which from the research could cost as much as 200.00." I then said, "for that amount I could go out and buy a brand new PS3 system with an extended warranty." He agreeed wioth me. I then told him, "Maybe I won't buy a new PS3 and I will purchase a 360 or Wii. At least I know they are easier to deal with." He then asked me to hold while he got his supervisor on the phone. I waited about 15 mins and he comes back on very apologetic and gives me this offer. "I have spoken with my supervisor and explined to him you concern and we have come to the conclusion that you are a valued Sony customer and we would like to extend a one time FREE service exchange to you." "Free, I say!" " Yes sir, we will exchange the system for free." I was completly blown away. I just wanted someone to hear my complaint. Maybe someone was really listining, who knows?

I will update ya'll and let you know as this progresses.

• Da

B2B ELECTRONICS LTD
    Birmingham
    England, West Midlands
    United Kingdom

jhon gabriel is a scammer his company is a scamm his email is [protected]@gmail.com his bussiness name is b2b electonics limited he takes the money and he gives you a tracking number then he asks the tracking company to email the custmed in uk r annd demand money for taxs and vat it is all a scam he will never give you the products he is a lier and a thief do not trust him do not buy anything from him he is a scamer and he is based in uk he is on alibaba.com selling under SONY PLAYSTATION 3 he wil tell u the shippment is made from uk which is not the he only says that to get your money he deos it from nigeria do not buy anything he willl tell u that to send him 1oogbp but do ot he will run away with the money he is a scammer

• Or
      Feb 12, 2010

I agree with you 100%. I am astonished having just had a similar experience myself. It's as though they train their CSRs to lie to the customer. We're not stupid! Treat us with some ****ing respect!!! Above all, don't promise something you have no intention of doing just to get us off the phone. They are dishonest, and I swear when hiring they probably weed out honest folks because they know it wouldn't agree with they company "values" to have someone actually tell the truth.

Sony = evil empire.

• Mb
      Feb 26, 2010

SONY PS3 disk read error is a SCAM.

Sony is very aware of this problem. When you speak to a support representative, they go out of their way to STRESS that the "disk read error" problem is NOT a common problem. So why are there millions of google results when you google it?

They make $ every time you have to have your system repaired.

I had my system repaired for $149. I rarely used it and a few months later, low and behold, "Disk Read ERROR". Once again Sony wants another $149. Filed complaint with BBB. Sony BLANTENTLY LIES to the BBB and says they offered to repair or replace my PS3. NO MENTION of the $149 they want to extort from me.

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and other consumer protection agencies and I suggest everyone do the same. This company won't do anything right for it's customers until they are under a microscope by federal, state, and local authorities. Additionally, look into the consumer protection laws in your state regarding repairs of electronics. In some states, repairs must be warrantied for additional months from which Sony offers.

NEVER BUY ANOTHER SONY PRODUCT. THEY NO LONGER APPRECIATE THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Not only do they not appreciate you, they want to make money off you for repair service of their KNOWN faulty product.

WRITE TO YOUR ATTORNEY GENERAL:

FILE A COMPLAINT VIA BBB:

File a repair service complaint with CA Deptartment of Consumer Affairs

Oct 20, 2010
    Sony Playstation 3 - controller
    Sony

I just have a suggestion. I purchased movie on my grandsons playstation 3 with my credit card not realizing that he or anyone else would be able to continue to use it to shop without having to reenter my bank cards passcode each time. This is a very unsecure system and should be corrected immediately.
    Thanks

• Co
      Apr 22, 2011
    Sony Playstation 3 - broken
    sony
    Manchester
    England, Greater Manchester
    United Kingdom

i have had some problems with my ps3 recently. earlier this week i had the yellow light of death but after searching the internet and 2 hours of holding hairdryers and fans i fixed that, then however when i went to restart the playstation to play fifa 11 i was greeted by a message saying cannot start because there is a problem with my hard drive. i have looked everywhere for 2 days now hoping to find a solution but they all lead to the recovery menu which unfortunately for some reason i can not access. i think i had 3 years warranty which is just over now but i will be very grateful for any help you can give me

• Th
      Jun 07, 2011
    Sony Playstation 3 - welcome back problems
    sony playstation
    Scotland, Central
    United Kingdom

After store came back online I clicked on the playstatin 3 plus pack I managed to get that then I downloaded 2 out of the 5 free games which were deadnation and ratchet and clank but after that I had to delete ratchet and clank due to lack of memory on console but then I re down loaded it after freeing up space on the console but after that I checked my bank only to find out my bank balance was wrong so whent in to my bank and I had £ 56.96 waiteing to be taken of my acount so I asked one of the advisors to show me what was waiteing to come off which was £ 22 .99, £11.99, £ 9.99, £ 11.99 which I did not agree to as the download said they were free to plastaion3 pluss members. Iam very upset about that as I waited so long for the network to come back on so I would like a refund cause of this as I was under the impresion that these items were free as it was stated on the playstaion 3 store and if I do not recive a full refund I will be seeking further legal advice about this matter . You can contact me regarding this matter on the following email address [protected]@hotmail.co.uk. Many thanks from mr colin potts, psn id ( Thats-just-nasty )

• La
      Feb 13, 2012

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. OK they had too sacrifice your "new" ps2 game too fix the ps3 bu they couldn't get it open and the disc might have gotten stuck in the slide so there is no other choice but too "yank" it out. And it depends on the company that the game was made at to be consider a 3rd party. So don't complain if the game get stuck and your friend have too pay 150 for the disc that "you" put in leading it to shut off. And they don't offer extended warranties for a reason, since the ps3 is basically a small wireless computer, any one with a know-how can make a copy of it and try too selling off as a defective product, hope this helped you. All so since your "new" game was scratched you should have gotten a 2 month warranty for a replacement. So k bye.

Wisconsin

We have made many purchases from Sony in the past two years. Today, we logged onto one of the games, LBP 2, that we had not played for awhile, and one of the down loadable content packs was no longer on our account after the recent update. I called Sony to enlist their help, but because they could not find it in their records, they refused to help in any way like I was trying to scam them. Never mind that I had the credit card receipt with the payment made to Sony. Just a sorry, you must have purchased it under another account or are you sure that you made such a purchase, etc. Not my idea of good customer service; I had been happy with their service and products in the past, but now I can see why they have so many complaints against them. Something wrong with their updates/records, but they insist on blaming the consumer.

• Ir
      Oct 11, 2012
    Sony Playstation 3 - controller
    Hawkinsville
    Georgia

I purchased a PS3 with the move about a year ago. the system is not used often. It is practically new and in excellent shape. My controller does not work. I have called Sony. They will not replace it because it is over 1 year old. I need another controller Please.
    IRIS NEWBERRY, 200 NEWBERRY RD. HAWKINSVILLE, GA 31036

• Fr
      Jun 03, 2016
    Sony Playstation 3 - Faulty updates
    Sony

After Sony discovered its data base was hacked, they offered to close the accounts and return the balance of money in each account. Any one who accepted was required to open a new account with a new e-mail address. After the smoke cleared, they offered one year free ID theft protection to help with the worry of ID theft. And 3 free games as a welcome back good will.Well all those people who closed their original account and opened a new account did not qualify. This is not fair at all.These are the people who were subjected to the ID theft, and lost all their info and game credits in PS3. And lost the use of internet access for Netflix etc . When is this going to be corrected?They have put time limits on these offers. The number of people going to the compeititon must be very high.