Smart Savings Center.com / Charged my account w/o authorization

Company charged my visa account w/o authorization. Unknown company to me, I don't know who they are.

Ca

Comments

• Gh
      11th of Sep, 2008

I too was ripped off by this company Smart Savings Center. I was searching for a book and found a very good price on Hotbooks.com. I do not know how it happened but as I purchased this book, I also signed up for the membership to Smart Savings Center. It was probably something that was automatically checked when the purchase was completed and I really had no knowledge that it was really there. So I ended up paying about $30 for a $15 book. BEWARE !!!

• Ro
      15th of Sep, 2008

I purchased a movie from these people and paid for it right away. Then when I got my visa I noticed they also took $19.50 out of my Visa Bank statement for a so called membership fee which I certainly was not aware of! This offer was so misleading and consider it a giant rip off. I will never do business again with this outfit and am extremely upset with this kind of dealings

• Sh
      17th of Sep, 2008

A $14.95 amount also showed up on my visa account recently through "Smart Savings Center". I have no idea who they are!
    I am going to check this out immediately to get this off my credit card!

• Vi
      26th of Sep, 2008

i ordered a movie at a discount price . never signed up to join as a member and yet i was charged 19.95 extra beside the money i paid for the dvd . these people are sneaky. im going to report them and have it taken off my credit card. no wonder the fat cats are cheating us.

27th of Sep, 2008

Unfortunately... you gave them your consent, I was about to be their next victim until I read the terms and conditions on the checkout page declaring a annual 19.95 month fee after a free 7 day trail. So I called 10 minutes later and they canceled my subscription.

30th of Sep, 2008

Exact same story I bough a book from hotbooks.com and by the way there just as bad as SSC casue there in league with them to sign people up for this fraud. Any way feel lucky that you only got taken for 15 more dollars they got me for 104. There messing with the wrong guy. I'm going to burn down there damn office.

• Ro
      7th of Oct, 2008

Smartsavingscenter.com is a well-known internet scam. You buy a book or a DVD, and these miserable crooks sign you up for their worthless "service" of letting you print out coupons on the net. They do this buy putting their "membership agreement" in the terms of of use you agree to when you buy the book or DVD.

Of course, you can bury details of contracts in fine print. You can not bury CONTRACTS themselves in fine print. To justify that a legal contract is formed (it isn't), they pretend to give you a "discount" on your purchase...which is nonsense, because you had no choice to buy the book or DVD WITHOUT taking advantage of the smartsavingscenter.com offer. It's all about getting charges on the accounts of their unsuspecting customers.

I would go to my bank and have these charges removed. If they won't do it immediately, be persistent. Smartsavingscenter.com are like any other bunch of scammers...they don't want too much publicity. What needs to be done is for them to have their site shut down, permanently. They are located in Boca Raton, Fla., so the Florida Attorney General's office should be looking into this.

• He
      11th of Oct, 2008

I too have an unauthorized charge to my visa debit account. Small amount, but I don't know why!

• Cs
      7th of Nov, 2008

i CALLED THESE PEOPLE IN sEPTEMBER THEY INFORMEC ME i DID NOT CANCEL SOMETHING WITH IN THE TIME BUY THE WOULD GLADLY CANCEL EVERY THING i HAVE NOW BEEN INFORMED BY MY BANK THE HAVE ADD TO MY BILL. WHAT CAN i HAVE HELD ON THE PHONE ONE HOUR THEY KEEP TELLING ME i AM NUMBER ONE ON THERE CALL/they have finally answered and informed me they will cancel whatever it is I ordered and give me a 40.00 credit I tyook the name of the person I talked to I hope this will be settled.

• Ns
      21st of Nov, 2008

Same thing happened to me...they took around $50.00 from my account before I realized what was going on. I have since canceled my membership, but would like to try to get the rest of my money back. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would not let me talk to a supervisor and gave no number for their corporate office. Help please...

• Mc
      3rd of Dec, 2008

I had a similar problem in connection which a one-time purchase which I attempted to place online with HotMovieSale.com for a video listed at $14.80. Thereafter, on my next statement I noticed that SmartSavingsCenter.com had placed a $1.00 charge against my account. I called the 800 number listed on my statement. At that time I was informed that this was a monthly charge for a membership which I had never subscribed to and for which I requested to be immediately removed. Next, I received an email from HotMovie stating that the video was no longer available and that my order was canceled. Then the next month bank statement indicated a $29.95 charge plus an additional $1.00 charge both from SmartSavingsCenter. I called to complain and was advised that the $29.95 was a membership fee and that each month another $1.00 charge would be incurred. I again stated that I had not authorized these charges. I reported the charges as fraudulent to my Bank and canceled my Master Card number. I then went online and filed a complaint with the National Consumers League (NCL) http://www.fraud.org/

• Ks
      7th of Jan, 2009

I ordered a book from discountbooksale.com and later noticed charges for $29.95 and $1.00 from SmartSavingsCenter.com. The book was out of stock and I called 800-511-6538 to cancel it and my unwanted membership. After waiting for a half hour I finally got a rep and I asked her to cancel the order and the membership and refund my money. At first she refused to refund any money because it was after the 7 day trial but she eventually gave in and refunded the $29.95. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) and fraud.org.

• Mo
      15th of Jan, 2009

On January 3, 2009, my wife and I ordered books from discountbooksale.com. By January 12, Smart Savings Center had charged each of us $29.95 monthly membership fee plus $1 processing fee. Calling their phone number got us nowhere, because we couldn't get anyone on the phone. I called my bank, which told me to write and fax a Letter of Dispute to their Dispute Department. My wife's bank said they can't do anything until after 30 days. It is because of crooks and ### like these that the US market system is crumbling; capitalism cannot survive without ethical businesspeople. I've written an article called "WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET RIPPED OFF BY SMART SAVINGS CENTER". The article is posted at SearchWarp at this link: http://searchwarp.com/swa420694.htm.

• Pi
      24th of Jan, 2009

I discovered the same thing today. I was charged 29.95 for two months in a row. The dollar they take first as their "processing fee" is just to see if the next will go through (according to my bank). I closed the account and the bank is disputing the charges for me. I also (interestingly enough) was able to cancel the "membership" I never signed up for. I beleive I was talking to someone in Nevis. After I cancel my bank card and came home...smartsavings customer service actually called me back and I was able to get them to agree to a $59.95 refund...whether I ever see it or not remains to be seen. I had originally placed an order with hotbooks.com who never had the book I wanted and cancelled the order themselves. When I called that number, it went to smartsavings. Seriously annoying scam.

• Tj
      24th of Jan, 2009

I bought a book for my father for christmas with my credit card from DISCOUNTBOOKS.COM . Apparently when you buy from them they automaticaly enroll you into SMARTSAVINGSCENTER.COM. Of course they do not tell you this, they just do it. When I got my statement today I had three charges from SMARTSAVINGCENTER.COM. When I called them I was the fourth caller, 5 min. later I was caller #1, then a recording came on and when that was done I was caller 5. This happened 6 times for about 55 min. I finally got a person and hopefully I will get the refund she said she would give me. I guess I will know next month. THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS BUYER BEWARE OF DISCOUNT SELLERS!!!

• Fo
      27th of Jan, 2009

These people are nothing but no good low life's that try and dupe people into spending money. I don't even know which company I legitimately bought from signed me up for this company but if I knew I would complain to them too!!! It's amazing after digging through my emails I finally found the one they sent me and I was amazed how easily they allow you to cancel... I tried calling but like I expected there was a high call volume... It's 1 AM here, I doubt they have a high call volume. But anyway when I went online to cancel it let me no problem and it had a question asking me why I was canceling... Then it actually had reasons listed such as, "I do not even know what SmartSavingsCenter is..." "I did not knowingly sign up for SmartSavingsCenter" "I think SmartSavingsCenter is a fraudulent company!" This company knows they are a scam. That is all they are. I told my bank about it and they are refunding my money and investigating this claim. Hopefully sometime with a little more money than I do that can afford the legal fees will sue this company and put it's CEO or whatever on the street because they are nothing but petty thieves...

• Ph
      28th of Jan, 2009

I bought a DVD for a movie that I couldn't find anywhere else. I bought it from Hot Movie Sale. It took quite a while for me to get the DVD, they kept emailing that it was out of stock. I finally got the DVD a month later on 11/13/08 and forgot about it. I was busy with an online shop at Etsy.com and busy with the holidays so didn't pay much attention to my credit card bill. Just yesterday I realized that each month since October this SmartSavingsCenter.com had been charging me $29.95 plus $1.00. I wrote my credit card company to complain and not to pay them anymore and just tried to call them and there was a 15 minute wait. I will just send them a letter by USPS. I have NO idea how I could possibly have signed up with them, I pay as I go and don't buy those "entertainment and travel" deals. I hope I get my money back but I doubt it, that's about $124 out of my pocket. I blame myself for not checking the credit card bill, but I had been buying Xmas gifts online and just assumed it was one of them and just simply screwed up on this one.

• Tl
      29th of Jan, 2009

Same thing. I purchased a movie from HotMovieSale for Christmas and I kept receiving emails that they were out of stock, etc. I never received the movie. I then noticed a charge out of my bank account for the 29.95 and I wrote them and told them that I never agreed to the said contract. They responded back by sending me the term of rights attached to the bottom of their ordering and that I had agreed to it and that yes they did have every right to take out the 29.95 because I had received a 5.00 discount on my order. I wrote them back a few minutes ago because calling them gets you nowhere and told them that I had never received my order, nor the 5.00 discount that was supposed to be attached to that order. I said that since they have not held up their end of the contract I fully expect the refund for the subscription charge. I doubt it will get me anywhere but worth a shot. I am usually very leery about internet sites and double check everything. Unfortunately I had heard about the movie on the radio in the morning and I clicked on the link off of their site. That was my fault for not paying attention.

• Al
      29th of Jan, 2009

i was so happy in the beginning for the turnaround time on my book order to "hotbooks". However a review of my checking account later showed withdrawls of $29.95 and also two for $l.00. I am now waiting for a refund of the monies taken. Your best bet with this vendor and also "discount books" and "super savings center" is not to order at all. This place is a rip off and should NOT be allowed on this site

• Ha
      30th of Jan, 2009

I too was scamed by this so called company that I have no knowledge of. I am going to my bank and finding an attorney to find out about class action and anybody that would like more info. email hwhessel@hotmail.com
    hhunt