Showcars Fiberglass & Steel Bodyparts Unlimited

Posted:

Totally ripped off

4.9
Warning!!! Do not purchase or order any auto panels or parts from this company. I and many other customers have been lied to and ripped off. In September 2005 I called Showcars and spoke with the owner Rob Johnson about purchasing a 442 Oldsmobile fiberglass ram air hood for my car. Mr. Johnson lied and told me he has one and in order to ship the hood it has to be prepaid and to have the money, $1,202.68 including tax transferred to his personal account at the TD Canada Trust Bank. So, like a trusting idiot, I did. . . Big mistake!

I patiently waited a few weeks and no hood arrived so I called Mr Johnson and he lied and said that he was having trouble keeping guys to work in fiberglass as they kept quitting. He said it will get done, it will just take time and the one he had in stock was apparently for someone else. I kept calling him about 2 or 3 times a week, and every time I called he had a different excuse for not making the hood. It would take too much time to tell you all the lies and excuses, but you get the picture.

Eight months later, after what seemed like hundreds of phone calls, the hood and wing arrived. The wing I had ordered later and paid for by cheque, made out to Rob Johnson, for deposit into his personal account for $287.83 including tax. This is highly illegal because what he is doing is not reporting the sale of the hood, wing and the tax he collected from me, to Revenue Canada. Mr. Johnson is playing a very dangerous game with the tax department.

When I received the hood and wing, they were so poorly constructed that they would not even fit on the car, I took photos of the mess and shipped them back. I told Mr. Johnson that I want replacements by the end of June, giving him 2 months to make new ones. Well, June came and went and after many many phone calls, I asked him to forget the whole thing and refund my money, which he said "we don't give refunds here".

In late September 2006, just over a year later, he sent a replacement hood and wing. The hood doesn't fit the car. This install was tried by licensed auto body journeymen at a very reputable auto restoration centre. So now I am stuck with this hood that won't fit my car, nor will it fit any other 1970 Oldsmobile. Now I am hearing of other guys that have gone through what I have. So I checked with the Better Business Bureau in Kitchener Ontario, and found that Showcars has 14 registered complaints and is not responding to the BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.

Showcars is located at:
258 Attwell Dr. , Unit 4
Otobicoke, Ontario M9W 5B2
Canada
Phone: 905-857-6345
Fax: 905-857-6346
www.showcars-bodyparts.com

Save yourself a lot of grief and money and stay away from Showcars-
Unlimited. I wish I had.

Totally ripped off,
Ron
Complaint comments Comments (27) Complaint country Canada Complaint category Cars, Parts & Vehicles
More Showcars Fiberglass & Steel Bodyparts Unlimited Complaints & Reviews
Showcars Fiberglass & Steel Bodyparts Unlimited - imsa front fender flares for datsun 240z

Comments

A  19th of Dec, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I have to agree that Showcars is real good at ripping people off... I purchased a fiberglass hood for my '66 Chevy truck and it did not fit well at all and was poorly constructed. I complained and he took the hood back for repair and I haven't seen it or my $ since. I also tried contacting the Canadien BBB and here in the US but there isn't much that can be done I am told.
A  16th of Mar, 2008 by    0 Votes
I totally agree. I purchased some fiberglass fenders for a 1967 Barracuda and they were complete junk. After receiving the fenders two months after they were promised, I had the body shop call and ask me what kind of junk I was trying to give them to work with. Rob Johnson is a complete sleazeball and I highly recommend you stay away from his company. I got the same story about guys quitting his shop all the time.
A  3rd of Sep, 2008 by    +2 Votes
i agree this place is a ripoff i ordered glass fenders for a 79 plymouth volare rob said it will be 2 weeks well it turned in to 4 months i called and called and got nothing this was in 2000 i still have them but there not on the car and im sure you know why this place should be clossed down
A  21st of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Been waiting much longer than was told it would be. I will repost if/when I get my parts from Showcars Bodyparts. Wont say right nowwhat to fit as Rob J has my money and I have nothing but a glimmering hope. I'm sure he checks this site-wouldnt want him to do something for spite like not ship anything. Same reason I want to remain John Doe until I get parts or give up. If the fit isnt even good-I'd be glad just to get the parts.
A  27th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I agree do not send him any money. I have the same story as the other posters.
A  27th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have the same story do not send any money rob is a jerk.
N  12th of Jun, 2009 by    +1 Votes
I bought a custom one off hood from Rob for my 79 camaro it did take him a long time, i think about 7 months it cost me close to $1, 100 with shipping that was messed up by UPS they are trying to charge me for rural delivery a month later on top of the large charge from canada, another $275.00 after UPS dropped it at my house.
my hood dont fit very well and i will need to spend more cash to get it to fit right, its tweeked and lifts on the driver side and the nutzerts were full of resin. Its hard to tap a resin filled nutzert and keep the integrity of the thread. i didnt think Rob was a jerk or a crook but a guy who is trying to run a shop and keep it afloat by cutting his work force to keep the doors open. unfortunatly it directly effects the end customers deadlines on custom builds like mine. for those of you that still have items with him call and ask for emailed pictures of the actual project, thats how mine seemed to get done faster.
A  13th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Rob told me all of the same stuff he told the other posters . The good news I am only out 600.00. The stuff I got my body man can't even use. Thanks rob great job. Do your self a great service Do not send him any money
A  13th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
The first clue you are getting ripped off is he does not take credit cards
A  30th of Mar, 2010 by    +1 Votes
HE IS STILL A SCAMMER, and up to it, Filled a police report for fraud
This guy is a JOKE do not use
he will rip you off
N  1st of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
thanks guys for the imput on this guy...im trying to build a 78 pro street firebird and he wanted me also to deposit 3400.00 into his account right away to get things started...now that you all said the problems you all faced im glad i never went ahead with the order...spending the money and getting junk...id be bringing it back to him personally.it would be well worth my trip and time off...a freal scammer who should not be in business...thanks guys again
A  15th of Mar, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i too have been dealing with rob, I ordered my 72 vega front clip from him like July-august 2010. Paid in full, had to send a money order as he said he wouldn't take a check from the US. He told me it would be about a 3-4 week turn around. Now its been 8 months and lies lies lies, says he has no help, said he was moving shop locations, pretty much every lie in the book. I tried to ask for build pics of my front clip but he said he didnt have a camera to do this. I talked to him today and he said that its going to be shipped out tomorrow... Im sure this wont fit but after all this time and money spent i just want something i can try to work with!!!
A  24th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
Rob is a sleaseball, I found it fummy he calls & pesters you untill you give him the order.Prepay for goods i guess there are still a few guys out there in the boonies so i sent him$400.00, Of coarse no parts all bull from him every day THE SAME LIES a real looser.I really regreT Ii sent him my $.What a DIRTBAG.PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD
A  3rd of Apr, 2012 by    +1 Votes
he stole from me. rob and I previously talked about Super Stock hood for Barracuda.
He said yes he can build one, just needs deposit. I drove to his shop last spring2011
on attwell and gave him $300 towards hood as well as purchasing a glass bumper for $150 that was on hand. the bumper lists at 130 but he says prices are outdated.
nevertheless, crappy quality bumper and no hood .. all phone calls met with answers like hes moving - maybe next week for hood, gotta buy some more resin next week
hes got a mould different year maybe kinda adapt modify blah blah runaway, ...
not nice. we all get what we give sooner or later. He plays the good Christian but is a
thief.
N  23rd of Apr, 2012 by    0 Votes
I was ripped off by this clown (Rob Johnston) as well. I ordered a pair of fenders and a front and rear bumpers for my Duster and made the mistake of sending the money to his TD account to expedite the order. As it turned out the order still took 3 months and the quality was so bad that the parts are unusable. The fit and finish were so bad that I, m sure my 7 year old daughter could do better with Play Doh. Please do yourself a favour and stay as far away from this crook as you can.
N  19th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
Wow, just got off the phone with the guy seemed on the up and up was gunna order some hard to find toyota parts, went through the whole spill then i thought it was wierd no credit cards? then he wanted to charg me 10 more percent to use paypal and run it through his buddies account? then not as a seller or purchase but as a transfer? nothing about it seemed right, no c.o.d., no credit and no parts till paid in full, wanted a overnight check or western union or a direct deposit in his account? i told him up front i wasnt comfortable with any of those options because there was no reason other than his word that i would get my part, told him to hold order i would call back tommorow, then i looked him up? glad i dint order thanks alot for the info
A  21st of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
I was looking online to purchase a hood for my Monte Carlo. Found showcars, price seemed right, wanted to keep my money in Canada and avoid duty etc... This story is going to sound like a broken record on this forum. Same ole BS from the guys from above, demands payment right away, says product will delivered within two weeks when 8 1/2 weeks fly by. Receive the product that is supposed to be "paint ready" Far from it, rough junk edges, the hood scoop is 1 inch off the center line and crooked! (the heck is wrong with you!) pits, holes for the hinges are not even close, and it's too small! so my 1000 dollar POS hood is junk, doesn't phone me back, and I'm left with a lighter wallet and where I was a few months ago. Shows that he is a devout Christian on his website, well do unto others as you would have done onto you. Karma will not be fair to you sir. I originally got the impression that he's a guy who maybe bites off a bit more then he can chew, gets over his head, rushes the product out, because I'm pestering him on a daily basis, but the more I read and look into his business, the more I think he's getting $$$ and that's all that matters to him
N  18th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
My own experienece with showcars was several years ago but since someone asked me about a 70 ram air fiberglass hood they saw for sale at a east coast meet summer of 2013, thought I would comment. I have what is probably the ONLY NOS SC/360 AMC Hornet ram air scoop left in existence, only 784 total production of the cars, and less than 1/2 had ram air. I thought this might be a good supplier/vendor to try and sent Rob my NOS scoop, along with a sizable deposit to reproduce some scoops for me as this rare scoop had never been done before.

Rob told me they would make a mold and quickly send back my NOS scoop. In meantime my 71 SC/360 was committed to a number of shows, preregistered. Each time I actually got ahold of him was a new excuse, from 'we are short on help' to 'there was a problem with top mold' to 'guy quit on us' or 'we are backed up' after losing all my prereg money I was supposed to be at, and could not show my car with no scoop and tired of the bullsh*t, I called him and said I was going to file theft charges again him in Harris County, Houston, Texas for the amount of scoop and money sent. We are the death capital of the world here so that got his attention. There would be a open warrant for his arrest in US if he stepped foot out of Canada into US.

It had been EIGHT MONTHS of bullsh*t and while I am a patient man, that was crap. He called me back same day with tracking number and told me the scoops on way. It was the worst AMC experienece with any vendor or supplier I have ever had in 30 years in business. I have never sent any other AMC person his way knowing they would experienece the same 'send me the money, then wait for eternity' issue. I didn't have issue I may add with the scoop itself, just I do not like being lied to repeatedly and is the only time in my 30 years of AMC business I have EVER had a problem like this with my many suppliers. So I won't, and don't use them anymore. I told the fellow who emailed me about a 70 ram air hood in fiberglass he said he saw at a summer's meet to simply google "showcars body parts complaints" and watch it light up like pinball machine. It ain't only me, a whole lot of people out there have had a most unpleasant experienece with this place thru years.
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
www.planethoustonamx.com
N  15th of Sep, 2013 by    0 Votes
You can add me to the long list of people screwed over by this thief. Showcars Rob (Sideshow Bob) is a complete fraud! He has no shop, he has no wrecking yards, he has nothing but a cell phone a computer, a website and the a crappy little car. He sold me 2 spoilers for my car. Within 20 minutes or trying to figure out why these things were not fitting, I realized that they were junk, not usable and promptly threw them in the garbage (no kidding!). My car is "pristine" and if these parts were meant to fit they would have. I asked him before taking the 5 hour car ride to pick up the parts: Do they look good to what he stated :YES looks great! Got them in the dark, he handed them to me and he bolted. The next morning what I saw for $350 was the worst "crap" ever seen. Thought OK, maybe needs trimming...NO cannot be used at all. I hate to sound like I am discriminating on the bases of a persons looks but, if most folks would actually see this guy, they would not do business with him as he is NO business man. He is taking advantage of the trust eCommerce is creating out there with the likes of eBay. Someone will eventually take this jerk down as he, Rob Johnston, will screw over the wrong person and it will be "curtains" for Sideshow Bob...Deal with him and he will take your money and if you receive the product it will be like all others have received...Junk! Be for-warned he is not the guy he sounds like on the phone. I usually do my "due diligence" before handing out $$$ but I had just done a couple of thousand $$$ of car part buying on eBay from all over the USA and even some parts from England (did not get screwed for 1 penny) so my guards were down when I cam across this Bozo. Save your $$ don't trust this clown.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree