Shopperdiscounts.co.uk / money taken from my visa account

Dear complaints board,
Having just read some statements given by people having money taken from their account unwillingly the same thing has happened to me.
shopper discounts has taken eight pounds from my account for ten months, I feel so angry that I just didn't realise, early on.

I contacted the Halifax visa company who has not been very supportive over this matter. they said that i will probably get one months payment back. I had to cancel my so called subscription via an automated phone call to shoppers discounts giving out my visa number,
they had my email address already and have not replied to me via email as they said they would.
my visa company said that if i didn't cancel my subscription I would have to pay the monthly bill even if I cancelled my card. As you can imagine I will cancel my visa when this is sorted out.

I have been with the Halifax for over twenty years and this is the way they treat loyal customers.

please be aware people reading this you are not as protected using your visa via the Internet as you may think.
yours sincerely
elaine .

El

Comments

15th of Apr, 2009

I have already posted about this company, and left the telephone number to phone from the u.k . The number is 08082341539.I had booked a flight through Easy Jet last June and unknown to me as I had ticked a box that flashed up offering a £10 discount off my next flight. Easy jet passed my bank account number to Shopperdiscount.com and they have deducted 11 payments of £8 per month from my bank account. I phoned the above number and was told that under there terms & conditions by ticking the '£10 discount' I was agreeing to the firm deducting £8 a month for the rest of my life. I gave Easy Jet my bank account details in good faith and they had no right to pass these details on without my permission. I have been told I will get 3 months payments refunded into my account immediately and a claim form will be sent out to allow me to reclaim the rest of the money.

• La
      16th of Apr, 2009

why can't i obtain there number and phone up

16th of Apr, 2009

PHONE THE FREE PHONE NUMBER 08082341539 and explain to the operator that at no time would you have agreed that they could take money from your account, no-one would agree to a company having there credit/debit card details and taking money whenever they like. You should not have any problems getting the money back as the operator agreed right away to refund my money. Good Luck

16th of Apr, 2009

I looked up the internet site shopperdiscount.com and found the telephone number on there site.

• Ph
      13th of Jul, 2009

I got caught by this after using interflora. Call the number above - be polite and firm. Tell them the terms and conditions were NOT made clear. Let them cancel the debit and then tell them that you would like to apply to have the money refunded. They should refund at least a couple of payments without question.

• Dm
      24th of Jul, 2009

I was caught by this after using my Barclays Visa Debit card with EasyJet sixteen months ago. Every time I spotted it on my account (it used a variety of names, some abbreviated) I searched but could never link it with anything I was subscribed to. Two months ago I cancelled the card but two more payments went through. I phoned the freephone number below that I found on this site and was told that 3 months will be refunded into my account immediately and an e mail will be sent with a claim form attached. I was told that by clicking the box for a discount, I gave EasyJet permission to give out my bank details. I will not be using them again. But who is to blame? I took my statement to my bank and was told nothing could be done but to cancel the card, which was not correct. Surely banks should be informed and deal with these cases. I took the operator's number and name so that I can follow it up if necessary. I was careful not to accuse them of scam but said it was bad working practice. But it is a scam.
    PHONE THE FREE PHONE NUMBER 08082341539 and be firm but polite. DC

• Gd
      28th of Jul, 2009

I have the same experince as those above. In my case when I used Interflora. Barclays were useless in addressing my complaint. It has taken me 4 months to sort out. Complain to the money grabbing companied who get paid by shoppersdiscount.co.uk to uses their sites to scam us. I will not shop through Interflora again they are co-conspirators in this scam!!

• Le
      1st of Jul, 2010

I purchased some items from M & S online and have just received my credit card bill. I was surprised to see an additional amount of £10 had been taken from my account by shopperdiscounts.co.uk. I would never have given my details to anyone else other than M&S and am about to find out how this was taken and how I can get it back and prevent any more payments being deducted. The only reason I use a credit card is so I do not have to give my bank account details online and thought it was a safe way of shopping. Obviously not!!

• Le
      1st of Jul, 2010

Re the above comment, I have just phoned shopperdiscount and is all transpired from a previous company I bought from called musicnotes.com. I buy sheet music from them for a few pounds and shopperdiscount say I willingly entered into an agreement with them to join shoppperdiscount and gave them all my credit card details and an electronic signature. She did try to say at first that someone else who has access to my card could have done it but no-one uses my card (unless it had been stolen which it hasn't). I was able to cancel my 'monthly direct debit' of £10 and the person I spoke to agreed to refund me the £10 as I hadn't used the service. I did tell her it was a scam which she denied but at least hopefully I will get the promised refund. It has made me very wary of which boxes I tick and I will never use Musicnotes.com again.

Good luck to everyone else who has unwittingly fallen for this scam.

• Th
      26th of Aug, 2010

I just called them and they were reading off a script saying that the when you sign up, the terms and condition page does mention a 30 day trial and a subsequent 10pound fee - which is also mentioned in the confirmation email.

I told them that was not the case and that I should get a refund. She then said she could refund me the last month's fee but I asked politely if she could refund me everything and she said the max she could refund was up to 3 months and anything before that has to be done via a claims form which was emailed to me. They were friendly and polite, no need to be rude!